Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/coronavirus-china-live-updates/2020/02/25/f4045570-5758-11ea-9000-f3cffee23036_story.html

Health officials in the United States warned Tuesday that the spread of the novel coronavirus in the country appears inevitable, marking a significant change in tone as global travel disruptions continued to worsen, South Korea neared 1,000 cases and Iran reported at least 15 deaths.

To be really grossed out about our local unpreparedness, went to our daughter's elementary school and noticed there was no soap in bathroom. When I questioned it, I was told they cant keep it stocked in any of the  bathrooms because kids just waste it. No wonder our kids have been sicker this year. 

Now put this in perspective of an impending coronavirus. Soap and water are critical to preventing the spread of viruses, and here we arent even allowing our snotty nosed kids to wash their hands well. I leave out countless other occasions we would want our kids washing their hands throughout the day. I just look at the spread through our community as a given when it gets here.

I am just grossed out and put it in this thread because I doubt our elementary school is the only one making this dumb choice.

Edited by gbear
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

what you can expect if cases start spreading here

Italy's Lombardy region press office has issued a list of towns and villages that are in complete lockdown, inside the so-called "red zones" created to prevent the spread of coronavirus. 

They are:  

1. Codogno
  2. Castiglione D'Adda
  3. Casalpusterlengo
  4. Fombio
  5. Maleo
  6. Somaglia 
  7. Bertonico
  8. Terranova dei Passerini
  9. Castelgerundo
  10. San Fioran

What "red zones" mean: Measures in "red zones" include a ban on the public from entering or leaving the zone, closure of train stations and suspension of public transportation, such as buses. 

Italy now has the highest number of coronavirus infections outside Asia, as 54 new cases were detected in the country's north overnight, bringing the total to 283, the Italian civil protection agency said today. The cases are heavily concentrated in the region of Lombardy, where 212 infections have been confirmed. Seven people have so far died from the virus in the country.

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-02-25-20-hnk-intl/h_305645049a7d927cfa4d1b38d5090517

1 hour ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I must not check my 401k balance. 
I must not check my 401k balance. 
I must not

I had held off on putting money into the markets (I'm young) since I figured we were due for another recession, but after much proding from my wife I finally put my uninvested roth ira into Vanguard's VTSAX.

That was last week.

I know it'll be fine in the long run but dang, bad timing in the short term.

• Like 2

Dog, I am torn btw the laughing reaction and the sad one. So I just went with a heart. Lol

Don't worry. What goes down will rise again...someday.

I keep debating moving more of my money out of stocks, but then I remember how well efforts at market timing usually work.  Still I bet you wish you had the advice I have my dad when he inherited from his mom, invest equal amounts over atleast a 4 month period to cushion against any outlier/short term bad timing.

4 hours ago, gbear said:

To be really grossed out about our local unpreparedness, went to our daughter's preschool and noticed there was no soap in bathroom. When I questioned it, I was told they cant keep it stocked in any of the  bathrooms because kids just waste it.

Iirc, you're fostering kids with health issues? Whatever lengths you need to go to, I'll help. Just pm me.