Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

CSPAN looks like only station still airing the press conference, I'm furious so many of the news stations either arent showing it at all or stopped while folks were talking for pundit comment.  The people doing this are saying what they are going to do, hold your opinions until they are ****ing done talking.

He seems to be mostly attacking people and the media, from what I could make out of his incoherent ramblings.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

CSPAN looks like only station still airing the press conference, I'm furious so many of the news stations either arent showing it at all or stopped while folks were talking for pundit comment.  The people doing this are saying what they are going to do, hold your opinions until they are ****ing done talking.

Trump has been going on about the stock market and Democrats for like the past 5 minutes. Sure show the career people but there's little value in hearing Trump rant.

2 minutes ago, visionary said:

He seems to be mostly attacking people and the media, from what I could make out of his incoherent ramblings.

They CNN and MSNBC cut off health officials, he did answer whether he was going to have plans for quarantining cities and of schools should prepare to close, he said that's on the table but hoping against it.  Hes trying to play this down. But I caught his shot at Pelosi and NYT.

4 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Trump has been going on about the stock market and Democrats for like the past 5 minutes. Sure show the career people but there's little value in hearing Trump rant.

Hes touched other things like I mentioned to @visionary, but hes bringing it back or someone else is, I expected him to do that, but he jus made clear to look at this more like the flu.  What's the point of getting opinions in what hes going to do or think, hes on tv right now.

Hes trying way to hard to sell possibility this wont be around next year while comparing it to the flu.

Devoting resources is one thing, but outside banning folks from coming in the country, he hoping this goes away and leaving cards on the table that would be disruptive.  

Too much reassurance, not enough pragmatism.

13 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

I am waiting to see more from South Korea, Japan and Italy before I panic.  I just don't trust China or Iran to be open, honest governments about public health crises... and those are at the leading edge now.  

Iran in particular hid the extent of the spread and enabled the spread to other countries.

@bcl05 @bearrock

what are your thoughts on cdc recommendation to send infected hospital staff home for furlough for 14 days?

what do you do when it rips through the hospital and you have no staff?

i suggest: **** the cdc’s recommendation

didn’t go over well

i liked idea of telescreen, send to centralized tent test center. 

shut down the hospital to walk ins. Funnel to central location keep medical workers from getting unnecessarily sick in hospitals 

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

I am waiting to see more from South Korea, Japan and Italy before I panic.  I just don't trust China or Iran to be open, honest governments about public health crises... and those are at the leading edge now.  

Yeah, but they are far more likely to be downplaying the severity of the outbreak if they are lying.

42 minutes ago, tshile said:

@bcl05 @bearrock

what are your thoughts on cdc recommendation to send infected hospital staff home for furlough for 14 days?

didn’t go over well

shut down the hospital to walk ins. Funnel to central location keep medical workers from getting unnecessarily sick in hospitals 

Yeah, that's a tough one.  I mean right now where the total infection is low enough in the US that furlough is unlikely to totally incapacitate a hospital, I can see that making sense.  But like you said, if the alternative is to shut the hospital down, I think you have to find a way to work around.  I mean the chances of transmission is pretty low if the provider is in a hazmat suit right?

So new information seems to be that mortality rate is about double the flu for the younger population and starts ramping up at 60 and above?  That feels like good news, although I don't really know enough to judge.

2 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I mean the chances of transmission is pretty low if the provider is in a hazmat suit right?

Yeah but not everyone’s wearing one. If one cleaning staff gets it they’ll walk around for two weeks spreading it to patients and other staff. 

When the reality is that the end prescription is to go home and self quarantine and call if it gets worse, why not stop these people from going into the hospital in the first place 

we’re currently trying to figure out what’s bette me - quarantine in the master or the basement. I’m voting basement 

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, tshile said:

@bcl05 @bearrock

didn’t go over well

I don't really know.  I know our infectious disease docs have modeled various possibilities including widespread infections amongst hospital workers.  I know that we have plans to have an isolated ward with only specifically designated staff who have particular expertise in protective equipment and techniques to minimize spread.  I think if volumes get too big for that ward or enough of those workers get sick enough, the plans will have to adapt.  I don't know if there's a "one size fits all" kind of thing, here.  Our hospital is extremely large and extremely well-equipped and staffed.  What works here will not apply at most hospitals.    I'm not the one making those decisions, thank goodness... 

4 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

Our hospital is extremely large and extremely well-equipped and staffed

Presumably it serves a large area then?

whats a realistic influx to the ED number at which you go “oh **** time for plan b”

(then figure out what plan b is)

I don’t know where the threshold is here but I think what someone said was “500 walking into the ED one night would be a disaster”

and that’s not a lot of people for this area. 

they say it may snow and you can’t buy a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk anywhere for 3 days

Edited by tshile