Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

7 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I told her to mentally prepare herself for the fact that our entire family (2x 31 year olds, a 4, 2, and under 1 year old) will likely to be infected at some point in the next 12-18 months, and that there’s probably about a 90% chance we’ll all be fine. At the same time, there’s a very good chance we’ll lose at least one parent or grandparent, particularly those who are on the wrong side of 60. 

What are you basing any of this on?

Edited by kfrankie
  • Thanks 1

Just now, twa said:

This is nothing compared to what can be

What worries me is i go back home from cali in a few days to my parents house who are both 70+ and get them sick. 

But honestly i cant do anything about it so worrying wont help. Stupid situation. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

The 22 year old professional soccer player who died in Iran is scary. Goes against all the data about it not being a concern for young healthy people.

was he otherwise healthy and receive decent treatment?

Iran has a high death per infection rate for some reason.....for some reason.

13 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

The 22 year old professional soccer player who died in Iran is scary. Goes against all the data about it not being a concern for young healthy people.

There are still a decently high % of severe cases in younger/healthy people, at least compared to something like the flu. Most people recover with proper care. But not all. 

And some of the reports out of Iran indicate a really poor level of care. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

What worries me is i go back home from cali in a few days to my parents house who are both 70+ and get them sick. 

But honestly i cant do anything about it so worrying wont help. Stupid situation. 

Could always be worse.....as a older guy with respiratory issues I say enjoy the time left and take practical preventative measures .

getting your flu shots and avoiding dr and medical care if not needed would be a good idea.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, twa said:

was he otherwise healthy and receive decent treatment?

Iran has a high death per infection rate for some reason.....for some reason.

It was a female which is supposed to be even less. Every year flu takes out some healthy people too but seeing examples that fall in the small percentage makes it a little  unsettling for me. Rationally, the percentages are small but seeing people much younger and healthier die has me worried.

Edited by SoCalSkins

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

It was a female which is supposed to be even less. Every year flu takes out some healthy people too but seeing examples that fall in the small percentage makes it a little  unsettling for me. Rationally, the percentages are small but seeing people much younger and healthier die has me worried.

certainly worth paying attention to, but then many younger and healthier friends of mine have died...more every day it seems.

I haven’t seen anything to indicate that causes alarm to the point that healthy people with health insurance, young or old, should be panicking about this. 

Just like in flu season, the most important thing you can do is GO TO THE DOCTOR IF YOU START FEELING SYMPTOMS! Take time away from work. Take care of your bodies and prioritize your health over anything else. Don’t think that taking over the counter medicine will get you through whatever you’re feeling. The medical care in this country is very good and you will be fine if you are proactive.

If our government in this country is sensible, it will mandate paid sick leave so people aren’t afraid to take time off. The biggest risk is to people who are afraid of going to the hospital, whether it’s for financial or psychological reasons.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 3

https://www.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE/Israeli-scientists-In-three-weeks-we-will-have-coronavirus-vaccine-619101

Israeli scientists: 'In a few weeks, we will have coronavirus vaccine'

Once the vaccine is developed, it will take at least 90 days to complete the regulatory process and potentially more to enter the marketplace.

But, Israel.  Amirite?

7 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

https://www.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE/Israeli-scientists-In-three-weeks-we-will-have-coronavirus-vaccine-619101

Israeli scientists: 'In a few weeks, we will have coronavirus vaccine'

Once the vaccine is developed, it will take at least 90 days to complete the regulatory process and potentially more to enter the marketplace.

But, Israel.  Amirite?

these things move faster than ever, we already have vaccines ready for testing.

of course testing effectiveness , side affects, and production issues are another bottleneck.

used to be (not long ago) simply developing a vaccine to test was a yr or more

28 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Publicly available data on mortality rates across age ranges, rough probability calculations, the growing epidemiologist consensus that this will be an endemic virus, and a healthy dose of optimistic pessimism.

So you deduced from this publicly available information that you, your wife, and your three children will catch the virus, and there's about a 10% chance that one of you will die from it (2% x 5?)?  Even though all indications are that the death rates are significantly lower for younger people? And despite the fact that not a single person in the U.S. has died so far among the 60 that are diagnosed (granted, only 6 have been cleared). Plus (assuming that all of your parents and grandparents are alive) at least one of your 12 elders will die (I guess they'll all get it too)? 

Also there's no chance that a vaccine will arrive sooner than a year from now and squelch rates down even further...  Personally I'm going to wait about 3 weeks until the first wave of 50 or so U.S. patients have cycled through before I determine whether I should scare the **** out of my wife and kids.

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

Just like in flu season, the most important thing you can do is GO TO THE DOCTOR IF YOU START FEELING SYMPTOMS! Take time away from work. Take care of your bodies and prioritize your health over anything else.

:rofl89::rofl89::rofl89:

My experience has been that companies will say stay home if you're sick, but in reality managers expect people to get the job done no matter what so people come in anyway, especially if they're only "a little" sick, so that the work gets done.  I expect that to continue, which will only serve to help spread the virus. 

1 hour ago, bcl05 said:

The single most effective thing we can all do to reduce spread (of all infections, not just this), is regular and thorough hand-washing.  

One of the habits I got in to when I was medic in the Air Force many years ago was constantly washing my hands,(go figure),and glad I am still in that habit. That said,every day I work I watch guys walk right out of the bathroom and not washing their hands,(even after taking a **** for crying out loud). My confidence in many people in just doing that simple task is,needless to say,not what it could be. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, China said:

:rofl89::rofl89::rofl89:

My experience has been that companies will say stay home if you're sick, but in reality managers expect people to get the job done no matter what so people come in anyway, especially if they're only "a little" sick, so that the work gets done.  I expect that to continue, which will only serve to help spread the virus. 

Add to that many folks are busting their ass just to get by and if they're lucky enough to have sick days,(paid especially),they probably don't have enough saved up or offered to cover the time it takes to get past this particular virus. Don't work,don't get paid and that isn't really an option for many of them. 

• Like 3