Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

16 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

ok...i've only got a few minutes, but i've been on sort of an assignment and am going to tell you this :ph34r:

you see the news breaking yesterday about the top of iran's gov't being exposed to the virus

let me do it this way-: trump admin---cia---bioweapons--iran top leaders--test---spread through china/hopefully no. korea

but the big deal---if it creates enough chaos here  n usa long enough...trump admin enacts special laws, including martial law, to get special powers for the safety of the nation and to postpone the election until a proper one held under proper conditions can be carried out

remember you heard it here first, but not from me

I have been wondering if the virus would give Trump an excuse to call off the election indefinitely and or take more power.  Harder to do that though when he's been talking it down.

1 hour ago, DogofWar1 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if it was some of these people:

https://nypost.com/2020/02/20/coronavirus-infected-americans-flown-back-to-us-on-plane-full-of-healthy-people/

I also saw, and I can't find the tweet now since it's a couple days old, that these potentially re-exposed individuals were not then tested to see if they contracted it.

So basically, there's a couple hundred potentially infected people running around the country that no one is tracking.

Good job Mike Pompeo.

ALL Those people were quarantined and had already been in close contact before the test results, they were not released

And here comes the convenient excuse from corporate America on why you won't be getting a raise at the end of the year!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/27/investing/earnings-coronavirus/index.html

Goldman Sachs warned in a report Thursday that it now thinks US companies "will generate no earnings growth in 2020." The bank said this forecast is based on "the likelihood that the impact of the virus becomes widespread."

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

but the big deal---if it creates enough chaos here  n usa long enough...trump admin enacts special laws, including martial law, to get special powers for the safety of the nation and to postpone the election until a proper one held under proper conditions can be carried out

remember you heard it here first, but not from me

i could actually see that happening.   Especially, if it looks like he's going to lose to Sanders and alot of his voters are actually dying from the virus.

Good thing I cashed out my 401K last year.  Needed the money to pay for my meds.

Edited by Rdskns2000

I think it’s easy to look at the latest developments and just shake our heads at what looks like massive incompetence in hindsight.  I know I’ve been doing this with a few tweets everyday.  Maybe you guys have been too.  I now think this is unreasonable though, and more importantly it fails to impart the right lessons.  

What the world has attempted to do in response essentially hinges on their decision makers dealing with this on an almost individual basis and consistently making only the right decisions.  It also relies on those same decision makers knowing, in advance, which people at every port of entry may need to be quarantined.  Consider that the incident necessitating a quarantine might have come hours prior to their arrival at a point of entry.  Discovering that information ahead of time is far from guaranteed, let alone getting it with enough time to act.  

This approach has not worked, and really can’t work without extraordinary amounts of competence throughout the chain of command and significant good fortune.  None of that is reliable.  An airborne virus infectious prior to the appearance of any symptoms is simply proving to be impossible to keep out with measured politically friendly plans.  If a truly terrifying pandemic appears in the future, this measured and politically friendly approach would prove suicidal.  A lot of lives may one day depend on the lessons learned right now.

• Like 2

So cdc is saying they’ve found someone n CA with coronavirus that wasn’t on their radar

for those that don’t know state health departments, cdc, etc have been tracking people. They’ve been finding people and telling them to go get checked out because they may have been exposed. Some of the reports you’ve seen were just that. 

this person wasn’t on their radar

means community spreading. 

so, ****s over. Consider it an addition to the seasonal flu issue. 

I think I'm done visiting this thread for the time being. While being knowledgeable about a topic is very helpful in dictating smart choices, you reach a point where information stops being helpful and comes more of a mental and physical hindrance. 

I've been knee deep in COVID-19 reports, literature and thinkpieces for nearly a week now and I definitely think the influx of information has made me sicker both mentally and physically. I know a lot more, but beyond what I learned days ago, it's mostly been stoking idle, unproductive fear. 

While all of this is going down, please be aware of your mental health. After years of dealing with anxiety and depression, I know where my breaking point is and I'm already becoming less productive and experiencing guilt about doing normal, everyday things because there's something "more important" going on. That isn't OK. 

So for now, I'm done reading this thread, Reddit and other stories about the virus to the best of my ability. The virus is here and it could shut down my city very soon. At this point, any new information is superfluous. Time to stock up, stay clean and go about my life until I'm told otherwise. 

Good luck to everyone in here and many thanks to visionary for his tireless updates. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

So for now, I'm done reading this thread, Reddit and other stories about the virus to the best of my ability. The virus is here and it could shut down my city very soon. At this point, any new information is superfluous. Time to stock up, stay clean and go about my life until I'm told otherwise. 

Similar thoughts here but I’m still paying attention, but mostly because it’s kind of like watching a slow motion train wreck. I’m of the opinion that the window for containment is over. This will infect a massive number of people globally, and I don’t think there’s anything that can be done about it at this point. Delay it, maybe. But not prevent it. 

I had a pretty frank conversation with my wife the other day and shared what I’ve learned about this virus and mortality rates. I told her to mentally prepare herself for the fact that our entire family (2x 31 year olds, a 4, 2, and under 1 year old) will likely to be infected at some point in the next 12-18 months, and that there’s probably about a 90% chance we’ll all be fine. At the same time, there’s a very good chance we’ll lose at least one parent or grandparent, particularly those who are on the wrong side of 60.