Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

2 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

^saw elsewhere speculation that they botched the headline and 50 was the number of cases, not fatalities, in Qom. Which makes a lot more sense because we were at 8 fatalities/28 cases yesterday. 

Iran denies virus coverup after claim of 50 deaths
Iran's government vowed to be transparent after being accused of covering up the deadliest coronavirus outbreak outside China, dismissing a lawmaker's claim the toll could be as high as 50.

The government announced Iran's coronavirus death toll had jumped by four to 12 - by far the highest outside China.

But Ahmad Amirabadi Farahani, a lawmaker from the holy city of Qom, south of Tehran, alleged the government was "lying".

"As of last night, about 50 people have died" from the coronavirus in Qom alone, ILNA news agency, which is close to reformists, quoted him as saying after a closed session of parliament on the crisis.

The government rejected the claim.

China coronavirus outbreak: All the latest updates

The infection has now spread to nine Middle Eastern countries, with more than 79,000 cases worldwide.

• Like 1

People predicted a recession would be what needs to cost Trump the election, expect a double whammy if we get caught as flat footed as China did.

Also, can anyone else help me confirm this is what's actually happening in regards to death rates by age?:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

COVID-19 Fatality Rate by AGE:

*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on the age group. The percentage shown below does NOT represent in any way the share of deaths by age group. Rather, it represents, for a person in a given age group, the risk of dying if infected with COVID-19.

80+ years old
14.8%
70-79 years old
8.0%
60-69 years old
3.6%
50-59 years old
1.3%
40-49 years old
0.4%
30-39 years old
0.2%
20-29 years old
0.2%
10-19 years old
0.2%
0-9 years old
no fatalities

*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%).

In general, relatively few cases are seen among children

7 minutes ago, twa said:

that is in general what I have been seeing,though I have seen some infant deaths reported

Thanks, ya, how this affects age groups seems to be consistent, but it didnt seem right to not have a single infant fatality.  

Do you have a link for known infant fatalities that maybe jus didnt make it in these numbers?  It's likely China is jus lying and North Korea not saying anything.

7 minutes ago, twa said:

we ain't China and have the advantage of time to prepare.

True, but are we doing that? Xi isnt in an election year, a lot can happen between here and November.

I'll go on record and say I'm going to early vote to avoid being in lines 10 months from now, I'm concerned how this may affect turnout.  Perception is reality.

there are probably not enough infant deaths to statically register a %(less than 1% of a thousand)

of course the reporting has issues.

yes we are doing that and will continue, as will examination of treatment and control protocols and the race for a vaccine.(one ready for testing and others very close)

Saw it pointed out earlier that, while our hospitals are good, we also have a healthcare system where tens of millions of our citizens have to choose between medical care and feeding their families/losing their houses/bankruptcy.  

Not particularly conducive to people seeking care early when their symptoms might be mild. And this thing can be contagious for a long time before severe symptoms start. 

The current understanding is that COVID-19 isn't passed from pregnant mothers to their children, so that also helps keep the infant mortality rate down. 

I'm glad that my nearly 70 year old parents live out in western Maryland and not a metropolitan area. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Saw it pointed out earlier that, while our hospitals are good, we also have a healthcare system where tens of millions of our citizens have to choose between medical care and feeding their families/losing their houses/bankruptcy.  

Not particularly conducive to people seeking care early when their symptoms might be mild. And this thing can be contagious for a long time before severe symptoms start. 

well I guess it is a good thing those with the higher death rate are on medicare then

a emergency declaration will add treatment options for the fiscally challenged......of course you might be camping out in a tent during isolation.

they will be searching for you 🤒

2 hours ago, twa said:

that is in general what I have been seeing,though I have seen some infant deaths reported

Trump fired all the people who are supposed to handle these type of things back in 2018.

He just set up a task force with his cronies like Ken Cuchaneli. Don’t know how to spell his name.

If we get an outbreak like other countries, we are ****ed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, twa said:

Our health care system is garbage (nationally), and our poor live in close proximity in urban areas.  We ain’t China, but our system isn’t built to fight off an infectious disease either.  

Gee, it’s almost like a huge and complex country needs a huge and complex administration to keep things together. Yet more toxic backwash from the mouth-breathers whose political horizon ends with bumper stickers about small government. Idiots.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JCB said:

Gee, it’s almost like a huge and complex country needs a huge and complex administration to keep things together. Yet more toxic backwash from the mouth-breathers whose political horizon ends with bumper stickers about small government. Idiots.

certainly seems the US government is handling the outbreak as well as any one...

I've seen it claimed that COVID-19 had a presence in Wuhan as early as November and the lockdown didn't begin in earnest until January. If we know ahead of time what this is and what can be done to slow it, I believe we can put a lot of fires out before they burn down the whole country. 

Are we prepared to do that? Probably not. Trump of all people should know how bad this could be for him if things get out of hand, but he's too shortsighted to act on common sense. The last thing he should be worrying about is the stock market right now.