Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

46 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I agree.

If the data coming out of China now is to be believed, it took draconian measures to get there. That population is used to it, though.  

Was just reflecting, about the urge to contrast the response in China vs here.  

Yes, some of the actions China took, were aided by being a dictatorship.  Somne of the things they did, we can't do.  Things like building two, 2,000 bed, hospitals, in three weeks.  I think they doubled the number of health care workers in Wuhan, in those same three weeks.  just ordered health care workers from elsewhere to go there, and work.  Ordering the entire city to stay in their rooms.  I read that 15 million Chinese had meals delivered daily to their doors, for sis weeks, to keep them inside.  The government simply ordered that all workers would receive their full salaries for the duration.  

But, China also had another advantage that we don't have.  

The virus only hit one city.  

They could double the number of health care workers in Wuhan, because they could strip workers from the rest of the country.  The rest of the country kept their factories working.  So the shut down Wuhan could get supplies from uninfected China.  

We can't just order 400 ER doctors to head for NYC.  Because we don't have any virus-free place to get the doctors from.  

So, while I don't have any trouble at all believing that Trump's actions for the last few months have probably caused the death toll to be 5-10 times higher than it could have been, I have to point out that no, we couldn't simply do what China did, either.  

(I'll also point out - we had an advantage that China didn't have, too.  We had the ability to see what was happening in China.  in Italy.  We had more warning than they had, and the ability to look at places that were weeks ahead of us, as predictors.)

Edited by Larry
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Well I guess it's less stressful for me because I know I can't reach my sister or mother (they're both in Miami). Thankfully I have plenty of family down there to look out for them but I can't say I'm not antsy at times thinking about them.

My daughter is living in Manchester, England, my son is stationed at Ali Al Salem air base in Kuwait and my wife is in purgatory right now.  Trying to keep her spirits up is half the battle knowing the worst is yet to come and there's not a damn thing to be done about it.  Fun times!

• Sad 3

53 minutes ago, just654 said:

Can I ask what department is HLS? Are you talking about DHS?

Yeah, typo.  He deals with immigration records, so he’s not directly related to this in any way and merely said he was preparing for that based on conversations he was privy to.

edit: On another note, some folks on social media freaking out about the national guard posting up heavily in different cities, but it sounds like they are setting up Covid19 testing stations.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Larry said:

We can't just order 400 ER doctors to head for NYC.  Because we don't have any virus-free place to get the doctors from.  

So, while I don't have any trouble at all believing that Trump's actions for the last few months have probably caused the death toll to be 5-10 times higher than it could have been, I have to point out that no, we couldn't simply do what China did, either.  

A lot of good points here. 

I don't know if China had enough people that qualified to either be brought back to medical service or in close enough fields like we do.  Just, before it was in States it wasn't even in any cities here yet that we knew of. The mechanism to lockdown the entire country by force is already here with martial law without even crossing into dictatorship, let alone Seattle.

I'm not convinced we couldn't of shut down our car factories to make ventilators earlier because we had advantage of seeing what was happening in other countries. I still don't understand why China had to make hospitals or why we can't just use our public schools instead.

All this second guessing and what-if'ing makes me wonder what the 9/11-Commission level investigation report will look like.  And how many waited as long as possible to do what could've been done to prevent what we could or will have to do, and most importantly: why.

One thing I want to point out is as bad as the rot in executive branch got, so many states are showing they aren't nearly as dysfunction.  

That post from Michigan makes me wonder if they will continuing waiting or just eventually get Feds blessing and just start doing it.  Part of the slow response was states waiting for the feds, makes you wonder if states took the lead from the get-go. 

Not ideal, I prefer a strong federal government, but encouraging what we are getting done without one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

Are these doctors checking industrial companies and supplier for N95 masks? Drywall guys, concrete, etc all have to use n95 masks to protect against the inhalation of silica and other harmful particles. They should have some to spare to our medical people.

there were regulations preventing the purchase outside of from approved medical suppliers

fwih they removed that and a few others preventing their use,,,,,such as language labeling requirements

Honestly, yeah we can’t order 400 nurses to nyc like china

we also don’t have to. A simply federal request will yield that. Cause that’s the type of people we are

but you need competent people to recognize the need and the option

Imagine if the United States healthcare ha 1/5 the ability to mobilize and effectively gain control as the military

My county (SoCal) has stopped counting up number of people tested... but we are seeing how many are infected.  That number better stabilize, because everyone has been quarantined.... 

Except when we all go shopping because we need food and TP.

Was just told by Mrs. Fergasun that she's more worried about the gun sales combined with panic.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tshile said:

Honestly, yeah we can’t order 400 nurses to nyc like china

we also don’t have to. A simply federal request will yield that. Cause that’s the type of people we are

but you need competent people to recognize the need and the option

Currently, the MC consists of over 4,400 active duty physicians representing all the specialties and subspecialties of civilian medicine. They may be assigned to fixed military medical facilities, to deployable combat units or to military medical research and development duties.

4500 active duty physicians are employed by the Army; 4000 by the Navy; and approximately 3500 by the Air Force.
Edited by daveakl
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, daveakl said:

I meant civilians but yeah I forgot about them and didn’t know the numbers :cheers:

39 minutes ago, visionary said:

I always see numbers of dead and people who have been confirmed to have the CV, but it would be helpful but frightening to see consistent numbers of those who have been hospitalized for it.

And broken down at least to break out icu patients

• Like 2

STATE CASES DEATHS
New York 7,102 35
Washington 1,393 85
California 1,195 23
New Jersey 897 9
Illinois 584 5
Florida 567 10
Michigan 548 3
Louisiana 521 14
Georgia 485 13
Massachusetts 413 1
Colorado 364 3
Texas 305 4
Pennsylvania 269 1
Wisconsin 206 3
Connecticut 194 1
Tennessee 175 0
Ohio 169 1
Maryland 150 2
North Carolina 144 0
South Carolina 126 3
Minnesota 115 0
Virginia 115 2
Oregon 114 3
Nevada 109 2
Alabama 106 0
Arkansas 100 0
Utah 80 0
Mississippi 80 0
Indiana 79 3
District of Columbia 71 1
Arizona 64 0
Kentucky 63 2
Maine 57 0
New Hampshire 55 0
Missouri 53 3
Nebraska 50 0
Oklahoma 49 1
Kansas 48 1
Iowa 45 0
Rhode Island 44 0
New Mexico 43 0
Delaware 39 0
Hawaii 37 0
Idaho 31 0
Vermont 29 2
North Dakota 27 0
Wyoming 20 0
Montana 15 0
South Dakota 14 1
Puerto Rico 14 0
Guam 14 0
Alaska 12 0
West Virginia 8 0
Virgin Islands 3 0

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’ve also heard from a family member that is a director for HLS that there is a lot of talk amongst the higher-ups of a nationwide lockdown.  That was on Tuesday of this week. He said within a week.  

I saw some photos from Baltimore today of an abundance of national guard vehicles posted up downtown.  

Hard to say what is BS and what is not.

there is no such thing as HLS lol.  national guard vehicles were in baltimore because they were driving to fedex to set up a testing center there.  holy **** you post some bad info.