Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

56 minutes ago, Larry said:

(Smart thermometers reporting higher temperatures in Florida.)

Just pointing out, highs have been 80-90 last week. After being much lower. (I'm in North Central Florida.)

what does air temperature have to do with smart thermometers meant go take body temp (which would need to be higher 98.7 to be high)?

5 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

what does air temperature have to do with smart thermometers meant go take body temp (which would need to be higher 98.7 to be high)?

Your body's temperature regulation isn't perfect.  And the thermometers try to measure core temperature, but they don't.  

Go outside in 85-90 degree heat for an hour, and yes, they will read higher.  

(And come into the typical Florida 60 degree air conditioning for a while, and they will read lower.)  

Now no, warmer than typical temperatures will not normally cause readings of fever.  (Which most books define as being above 100.1).  It shouldn't cause that much of a change.  (Maybe if you're exercising in that heat.  Maybe.)  But yes, it will make a difference.  

Edited by Larry
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Looks like Virginia cases increased 50 percent over night? 100 to 150?

I think we are finally getting tests out in much larger quantities.  I suspect that the numbers in most places will increase dramatically while the backlog of tests are processed.

• Like 2

I'm certain that Mike Pence isn't on TV right now telling people not to get tested for Covid unless you're having active symptoms, in an effort to keep the "# of infected" statistics low.  

2 minutes ago, FanboyOf91 said:

It's looking like the Italian health care system has collapsed.

And I keep being told that they have more hospital beds per capita than we do.  

Edited by Larry
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Skintime said:

The guy in the Florida meeting is who we need instead of trump.

Is that white old lady, the mayor?   She needs to be voted out next week. 

Here's something to cheer you up.

100 songs to help lift your spirits during a pandemic  

>>>

The headlines lately have been grim. The coronavirus pandemic has killed thousands worldwide and sickened many others. It's prompted most entertainers to cancel their tours and, like the rest of us, stay home. To help pass the time, and lift your spirits, USA TODAY (and a few helpers) assembled a list of 100 songs that are either fun, catchy or upbeat and will — we hope — make you smile and ease your worries, at least for a few minutes. They're a mix of currents and retro hits from all genres, presented in no particular order. From our playlist to yours, enjoy! <<<<<

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Larry said:

I'm certain that Mike Pence isn't on TV right now telling people not to get tested for Covid unless you're having active symptoms, in an effort to keep the "# of infected" statistics low.  

I honestly don't believe that there is currently any political motivation to avoid identifying people who have the virus to keep numbers low.  That just inflates the % of people who die from it, which also would look bad for the administration, while increasing the spread of the virus further.  Right now, I think they are trying to prioritize testing people who are most likely to be infected, as there is not a surplus of tests available.  I think it is a triage decision, not a political one.  That ship has sailed.

• Like 2

Testing everyone would've worked before rampant community spread. Ship has indeed sailed. No point in wasting a test if your recovery is staying at home drinking lots of fluids and getting rest.

We need to reserve tests for people who are getting severely ill, who need to be in a hospital.

• Like 1

I just hope this disaster and the upcoming economic disaster convinces enough non-Trumpsters and non-Hardcore Bernie Bros; to vote this man out of office.  I think I would lose all faith in humanity; if somehow he gets more people to vote for him this time, thus ensuring his reelection.  That's a real fear.  This crisis leads people leads more people to voting for him and to his reelection. I just hope people aren't that dumb.

The spread of the virus and the coming economic disaster; can ABSOLUTELY be traced back to Trump.  His incompetence. His lack of empathy.  His extreme  malignant narcissism, where he only cares about himself.  His whole attitude, even now; is caring only how it affects him.   I hope he gets exposed again and again until he gets it and let him suffer the worse case scenario. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1