Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Alex Schiller

Wow we've had the 7th highest count of Covid-19 cases for a while. Then we passed France a few days ago. We just passed Iran a few minutes ago. We'll overtake Germany by Saturday night, then it's on to face Spain in the semi-finals Monday. Italy and China are battling it out on the other side of the bracket with China stuck on 80k. Italy should pass them on Thursday. The finals matchup between the U.S. and Italy in two weeks should be pretty epic. All the stats I'm looking at says it'll be #AmericaFirst, but it really is anyone's game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, FrFan said:

We've got a new covid symptom : anosmia ( ability to detect one or more smells ). A few number of people are actually suffering from impaired taste.

I hope this is only temporary and that they will recover asap.

I also heard that snorting Zicam can hurt your sense of smell.  Been doing that a little bit here and there to prevent any cold/virus as well  I hear that Zicam also prevents viruses from entering your nasal passage a bit.  EmergenC with Elderberry as well as a vitamin D supplement.

Basically, trying to boost my immune system.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I also heard that snorting Zicam can hurt your sense of smell.  Been doing that a little bit here and there to prevent any cold/virus as well  I hear that Zicam also prevents viruses from entering your nasal passage a bit.  EmergenC with Elderberry as well as a vitamin D supplement.

I recommend dropping the elderberry. It’s clinically proven to boost cytokine production (an immune response) but a lot of covid patients are experiencing an over-production of cytokine which is leading to organ failure. There’s no studies or anything about elderberry, but that’s one I’d stay away from until we know more (ibuprofen too). 

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I recommend dropping the elderberry. It’s clinically proven to boost cytokine production (an immune response) but a lot of covid patients are experiencing an over-production of cytokine which is leading to organ failure. There’s no studies or anything about elderberry, but that’s one I’d stay away from until we know more (ibuprofen too). 

Vitamin D and Zicam it is!

Thanks random internet stranger who I've suddenly put the totality of my trust into because you used big words that I don't know the meaning of.

Edited by Springfield
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

7 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Thanks random internet stranger who I've suddenly put the totality of my trust into because you used big words that I don't know the meaning of.

And he's humble and lovable.  (TV show reference.)   

5 hours ago, Springfield said:

You guys stay safe 💪whatever you're taking.

I use bleach

Ongoing tests with Tamiflu, Ritonavir, Moxifloxacine and ceftriaxone

Edited by FrFan
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, LD0506 said:

Alex Schiller

Wow we've had the 7th highest count of Covid-19 cases for a while. Then we passed France a few days ago. We just passed Iran a few minutes ago. We'll overtake Germany by Saturday night, then it's on to face Spain in the semi-finals Monday. Italy and China are battling it out on the other side of the bracket with China stuck on 80k. Italy should pass them on Thursday. The finals matchup between the U.S. and Italy in two weeks should be pretty epic. All the stats I'm looking at says it'll be #AmericaFirst, but it really is anyone's game.

But the Germans have only a 0.3% fatality rate !

I believe they have many more respiratory units, done many more testings than us, last but not least 70% of the people who caught Covid are in the 20-50 range.

A nurse girlfriend of mine thinks (as messy, reckless and idiots as we are) the confinment may last 3 months.

Edited by FrFan

I saw an elderly couple yesterday with Corona beer in their cart, while on a grocery run.

Reading about how Trump basically ignored early warnings; should make everyone angry 😡. While no, Trump couldn’t have prevented the virus from coming here. He could’ve been prepared for it. That way, we could’ve lessened the spread and reduced the impact from it. The longer this goes, the anger should build. Also, despite what some economists are saying ; we aren’t just going bounce back. Small businesses can’t survive; if they have to stay close more than a month and even then, some won’t survive. Lots of people will be out of work and that will cascade across the economy. People can’t spend money if they don’t have a job.

Even bad or mediocre Presidents rise to the occasion during a crisis.  In the initial days after 9/11 Bush Jr rose to the occasion. People rallied around him. He squandered that and used 9/11 to go into Iraq; but at least initially, he did what we expected from a President.  Trump has done no such thing. 

Use that anger in the fall towards firing that SOB.

Edited by Rdskns2000
  • Like 7

Here is a really good article that everybody should read.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/20/eradicated-coronavirus-mass-testing-covid-19-italy-vo

We are a country of 330 million.  So testing everybody is probably going to be difficult.  However, we should be producing as many test kits as possible so that people who are not showing any symptoms can be identified.  

The part about Veneto, Italy is interesting in the above article. So even though 8/10 people got tested, the mortality rate they say is 2.5-3%.

We need to take into account the fact that Italy is overall an "old" country.  I gotta say, I worry about Florida with average age of 42.  New York's average age  is 6 years younger.

• Like 1

The latest from my Swiss virologist buddy.

The concept of contact tracing has been a part of the US public health system since John Snow nailed his sign to the well back in London circa 1854. They have used it in many rather famous investigations and quite successfully stopped a number of potential epidemics in the US. No, not THAT John Snow, the King in the North, the other one.

The contact tracing system was supposed to be the main strategy in this coronavirus pandemic as well. They started off with this as part of the containment strategy, and one can see articles mentioning this back in late January. Unfortunately, they ****ed up the diagnostic test that would have allowed testing of contacts, and left the crappy Washington state office to deal with it rather than sending in experts. One can see nurses in minimal PPE moving patients into ambulances from that damn nursing home. The response was half assed, and with little monitoring of contacts from a failed PCR assay, the containment was lost. One couldn't determine who was infected, and therefore contact tracing wasn't implemented. This was pathetic as by this time a lot was known about the virus from Asian scientists. They let some local public health person handle it rather than actually respond properly. Criminal.

The CDC, if deployed properly, could have simply traced ALL contacts and locked down everyone independent of a test, but that never happened. One can see similar stories in NY and other early locations. Responses were lackluster in most cases and testing wasn't available.

Local health departments were left to their own responses, which were sometimes good, sometimes bad, but always understaffed and ultimately ineffective without the test. Knowing people could spread virus before becoming clinically ill should have been seen as a massive reason to quickly get a molecular test in place. Any test. Like the German test, the WHO test, the CDC test, the Hong Kong department of Health test, and others which we amiable and open source on the internet. Many of these had been used hundreds of thousands of times at this point, and could have been made available through a variety of means (special FDA fast track approval, executive order).

I can literally download the instructions for any of these tests right now, just like one could weeks before Washington state started showing infections. I could set this test up in any biology research lab at any university in America. This is not exotic or difficult science. I spent most of last night helping a friend in Florida set up tests at one of the universities for expanding DOH screening via Skype.

The story people will tell from this US outbreak in the future is one of the failure of testing availability, government agencies failing to deliver on tests and failing to acknowledge problems with the test, a failure of leadership to get alternative tests quickly, and the failure to properly deploy assets of the federal government to the early outbreak areas and properly contain and contact trace. Heads should roll over this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

Here is a really good article that everybody should read.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/20/eradicated-coronavirus-mass-testing-covid-19-italy-vo

We are a country of 330 million.  So testing everybody is probably going to be difficult.  However, we should be producing as many test kits as possible so that people who are not showing any symptoms can be identified.  

The part about Veneto, Italy is interesting in the above article. So even though 8/10 people got tested, the mortality rate they say is 2.5-3%.

We need to take into account the fact that Italy is overall an "old" country.  I gotta say, I worry about Florida with average age of 42.  New York's average age  is 6 years younger.

I'm wondering if the churches are a big factor in the virus spread as Italians are strong believers. I've been to Torino last January and was amazed at how many churches you can find downtown. Covid killed dozens of priests (Bergama 10, Parma 5, also in Parma, Milano, Brescia, Cremone)

• Sad 1

Dear lord. So, this trump supporter girl that I follow on FB, i just tried to explain to her why it’s offensive to call it the Chiba virus. She’s like “well, it started in China so therefore it’s called the China virus”. I’m like “.....except no. No. It’s.....literally not. It has a name” and she says “China doesn’t care about us so I’m going to still keep calling it that”. 

🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ Why are people such morons.....

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Dear lord. So, this trump supporter girl that I follow on FB, i just tried to explain to her why it’s offensive to call it the Chiba virus. She’s like “well, it started in China so therefore it’s called the China virus”. I’m like “.....except no. No. It’s.....literally not. It has a name” and she says “China doesn’t care about us so I’m going to still keep calling it that”. 

The level of "moronity" is amazing and quite pathetic. Over her we've got parisians fleeing the city to make sure they're going to spread the virus, and people in the hoods spitting at cops to infect them !!! :wtf:

Edited by FrFan
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Your friend's response is basically "I don't care if I'm wrong, I'm going to do it anyway."  

A common attitude in our new, post-reality, world.  One which you see expressed by several of our more frequent posters, on this very board.  (And I suspect that this board is much more reality based than the world at large.)  

(Which is rather surprising, considering the board consists of people who haven't given up on the Redskins.)  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I live in Austria and as you probably know we share a border with both Italy and Switzerland - two countries that are among the most affected by the Corona outbreak. Now our country is also strongly affected as we have about 2700 positive cases as of today. Fortunately, so far, only 9 people have died.

Our government has taken some rather drastic measures compared to other countries. We closed everything down already a week ago. The university where I work at has already been closed for our students for over 2 weeks now. Since everything closed a week ago, we have only been allowed to go outside to go grocery shopping, to the doctor or for a short walk (only by yourself or with the persons you share your house/apartment with) if you are able to work from home.

I think one of our biggest benefits was, that we were able to experience first hand how the situation got completely out of control in Italy and Switzerland which made the decision for our government somewhat easier. It's probably also the reason why everyone here is really supporting the measures. The streets are empty, public transportation is down by 80%, everyone who can seems to stay home even though we had awesome spring weather the last couple of days.

Now the first few positive signs are showing. The curve is flattening. We have managed to slow the doubling rate from 2 days to something between 4 and 6 days, even though the effect of the more drastic measures will likely only show in the upcoming week. At this point we also only have 15 people in intensive care.

Looking at these measures I simply cannot understand why other countries act so reluctantly. This is not only true for the US but also for other European countries like Germany or the UK. I am from Bavaria in Germany and my whole family lives there. Bavaria, even though they share a border with Austria, just implemented the same rules as Austria this morning (!) almost a week later. Bavaria and Austria have about the same population and Bavaria, for a very long time, had fewer positive cases than Austria but over the last couple of days they leapfrogged us and now "lead" by a considerable margin. There is no excuse for them. And they are now considered progressive in Germany. This should scare everyone on Germany, because you probably cannot ramp up your testing capabilities at the same speed as the virus spreads. And that is exactly what happened in Italy.

I tried to talk to my family for two weeks to pursuade them to stay at home but they, as almost everyone else, did not really listen. Governments have to take actions. We live in free societies. The population, if they do not experience it first hand, do often times not understand the magnitude of these developments so you cannot bet on their understanding and rationality.

I feel like the same happened in the US. You even had the time to learn from Europe, a continent with countries that are culturally and economically much closer to you than China. I understand if a country like Italy, that just happened to be the unlucky country in Europe where everything started was overwhelmed by this but there really is no excuse for the UK, for Germany or the US.

Now in Austria we have, similarly to a lot of countries a political situation that has divided the country. But at this point all different parties have come together. It is a surprising and pleasent experience as they all work together for the sake of the country. People are helping out their old and vulnerable neighbors and at night, people are standing on their windows and balconies and are singing together or applauding the workers that keep this country going. This definitely is a unifying experience. I really hope that this can also happen in the US, a country that from my point of views seems to be torn to a state that almost seems unreparable to me.

Please learn from our experiences in Europe. Not only from the bad on how not to do it but also from the (few) good examples. Stay home and keep everyone save. Flatten the curve and try to make the best of this time and reach out to other people. There is some small beauty and some opportunity in this horrible situation. It's always what you make of it.

Oh, and also stay home because I need my sports back. And I don't want to have this **** going on until September! 😅

• Like 11

I am currently posted in Romania with my family.  This is not official yet but this is what I think we are looking at in the coming days:

https://www.romania-insider.com/coronavirus-romania-isolation-movement-restrictions

A PDF document with this decision, which appears to be authored by the coordinator of this group, Dr. Raed Arafat, who is also the head of the Emergency Situations Department (DSU) in Romania, has circulated via WhatsApp and social media on Friday morning, March 20.

The authorities reacted to the leaked document saying that this is only a working document, and that, in case such a decision will be taken in the future, its provisions may be slightly changed. Moreover, if any movement restrictions are enforced, the authorities will take all necessary measures to support the population, Raed Arafat wrote in a Facebook post.The draft decision that has circulated on the internet stipulates that people are not allowed to leave their homes or residence, with only a few exceptions, namely those who absolutely have to go to work or have been delegated by their employers to go somewhere, those who need to go to medical consultations that can’t be postponed. Trips are also allowed for basic necessity shopping and for providing social assistance to elderly or vulnerable people.

People will also be allowed to leave their homes to do sports (alone) in the proximity of their homes or to walk their pets. Those who move outside their homes would have to fill in a statement beforehand, to be shown to the authorities.

48 minutes ago, Larry said:

Your friend's response is basically "I don't care if I'm wrong, I'm going to do it anyway."  

A common attitude in our new, post-reality, world.  One which you see expressed by several of our more frequent posters, on this very board.  (And I suspect that this board is much more reality based than the world at large.)  

(Which is rather surprising, considering the board consists of people who haven't given up on the Redskins.)  

I hate to even ask this question (and I am not being a smart aleck, genuinely asking the questions): Didn’t the virus start in Wuhan? 

• Like 1