Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

12 minutes ago, Larry said:

Question that I wish I knew the answer to:  

What percentage of COVID tests, in the US, in the last week, have been positive?  

Not "look how small the positives look, compared to the entire US population!"  What's the ratio of positives to tests performed?  

The COVID test rate is not a useful metric because people with symptoms are being sent home to isolate if they are not severely ill. They are not being tested. The best metric is the number of hospital admissions and ICU beds above the norm.

16 minutes ago, Larry said:

Question that I wish I knew the answer to:  

What percentage of COVID tests, in the US, in the last week, have been positive?  

Not "look how small the positives look, compared to the entire US population!"  What's the ratio of positives to tests performed?  

According to cdc US has performed about 25K test with about 3.5K positives.  A 14% positive rate.

Korea has tested about 250K with 8.3K positives.  About 3% positive rate.

Italy has 83K test with 20K+ positives.

4 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

The COVID test rate is not a useful metric because people with symptoms are being sent home to isolate if they are not severely ill. They are not being tested. The best metric is the number of hospital admissions and ICU beds above the norm.

Yeah, I would expect the "% of tests that are positive" to be higher than "% of general public with the virus".  Because the doctors are only testing people who they think are positive.  The pool of people being tested is not a random representative sample of the general population.  

Heck, if the doctors could reliably diagnose the thing with their eyeballs, than 100% of the people tested would be positive.  

Edited by Larry

19 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Guess we're at the "I'm not infected, I swear!" stage. 

Jus told my wife if she gets sick she has permission to lick my face so we can get this over with, not wait a week until I'm sick too like last time.

22 minutes ago, visionary said:

Well truth is he never said the word "lockdown". Not even once. Thought he spoke of "war" 6 times.

But still, we're supposed to stay home starting tuesday at noon. For at least 2 weeks.

Which will probably turn into 4 to 6 weeks. And hopefully paying TV channel are now officially free so we do not get bored while working at home (which will be good for a week or two, after that it'll be boredom!

Everything's cool :)

So how exactly do these lockdowns work, assuming that critical places like grocery stores and pharmacies, etc. stay open.  Is it one of those things where you can go there anytime, as long as you don't go anywhere else, or are they only open a few hours a day and it is a free for all?  How has it worked in other countries?

We're pretty well stocked up, I'm more concerned about neighbors or the public in general.

The “are you coming home tonight?” Question is a tough one. 

thankfully tonight the answer is yes. 

tomorrow doesn’t look too promising though

people still don’t get it. They think the current situation sucks. We haven’t seen anything yet. This **** is just getting started. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3