Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

4 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

At this point with it pretty clear that Ron is going to be doing a full-on roster analysis this year ... and isn't chasing "cheap wins" I just don't see us adding any big FAs down the stretch unless someone comes free that would undoubtedly make us better in the long-run. Not sure who or if any of those players exist at this point.

I would rather carry our cap into 2021 and have legit flexibility to do this the right way. I am not even saying blow the bank in 2021 on overpriced FAs. But at the very least, allow yourself to re-sign some of your high-end talent that is coming free in the next 1-2 off-seasons, while simultaneously adding even more talent via the draft.

Our approach as of late has been to let our own guys walk in FA. I would like to avoid that trend going forward, especially since I think we drafted particularly well over the last 3-4 drafts.

Allen, Scherff, Foster (if he performs), Moreau (if he performs) + extensions for Payne. Also, if Dwayne balls out the next two years, it would be great to sign him to a big extension without it crippling the team, because we spent our $$ wisely in our rebuild years and kicked that money into future years where our own talent was coming available.

I think we can add 2-3 really big FAs next off-season and still re-sign/extend our own guys and have some juicy $$ to roll into 2022, when we can do the same thing again. Eventually you will run out of money, but I would much rather pay the guys in 2021 and 2022 than spend $10m on Logan Ryan for a year chasing cheap wins. Lot of folks on here advocating for Peters + Ryan for a combined (roughly) $18m this season. To me that is chasing cheap wins. And that is $18 million that could be added to the 2021 cap and go toward bringing in a couple big FAs once the roster is properly assessed.

Totally agree. Only reason I I'm in on Peters is for the sake of Haskins development. A good option to keep him clean as he learns this scheme and game.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Raiders for two years in a row signed a zillion FA's.  It somewhat helped last year I guess will see if the sequel on it does. 

This is year 3 of the Jon Gruden experiement, isn't it?  So he has 7 years and 70 million to go?  

I want them to be a good team.  Football is better when the teams with long traditions are good.  Raiders, Steelers, Redskins, Cowboys, Giants, 49rs, Bears, Browns, Packers, Chiefs, Chargers... The league is just better when the teams with the longest history are good.  

The one team which was good forever but hasn't been good in longer than us has been the Dolphins.  If there's one team which has fallen farther than the 'Skins, it's the Dolphins.  

14 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

At this point with it pretty clear that Ron is going to be doing a full-on roster analysis this year ... and isn't chasing "cheap wins" I just don't see us adding any big FAs down the stretch unless someone comes free that would undoubtedly make us better in the long-run. Not sure who or if any of those players exist at this point.

I would rather carry our cap into 2021 and have legit flexibility to do this the right way. I am not even saying blow the bank in 2021 on overpriced FAs. But at the very least, allow yourself to re-sign some of your high-end talent that is coming free in the next 1-2 off-seasons, while simultaneously adding even more talent via the draft.

Our approach as of late has been to let our own guys walk in FA. I would like to avoid that trend going forward, especially since I think we drafted particularly well over the last 3-4 drafts.

Allen, Scherff, Foster (if he performs), Moreau (if he performs) + extensions for Payne. Also, if Dwayne balls out the next two years, it would be great to sign him to a big extension without it crippling the team, because we spent our $$ wisely in our rebuild years and kicked that money into future years where our own talent was coming available.

I think we can add 2-3 really big FAs next off-season and still re-sign/extend our own guys and have some juicy $$ to roll into 2022, when we can do the same thing again. Eventually you will run out of money, but I would much rather pay the guys in 2021 and 2022 than spend $10m on Logan Ryan for a year chasing cheap wins. Lot of folks on here advocating for Peters + Ryan for a combined (roughly) $18m this season. To me that is chasing cheap wins. And that is $18 million that could be added to the 2021 cap and go toward bringing in a couple big FAs once the roster is properly assessed.

Good post. Logan Ryan would help the current roster but adding him for a year isn't bringing a Championship. Heck, who knows if there's even a 2020 season. Keep analyzing RR and company. I love their conservative approach this year.

If there is a 2020 season I expect a lot of talent cut from other rosters similar to Ryan how can be signed cheaper and possibly for multiple years.

8 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

This is year 3 of the Jon Gruden experiement, isn't it?  So he has 7 years and 70 million to go?  

I want them to be a good team.  Football is better when the teams with long traditions are good.  Raiders, Steelers, Redskins, Cowboys, Giants, 49rs, Bears, Browns, Packers, Chiefs, Chargers... The league is just better when the teams with the longest history are good.  

The one team which was good forever but hasn't been good in longer than us has been the Dolphins.  If there's one team which has fallen farther than the 'Skins, it's the Dolphins.  

3rd for Gruden but 2nd for Mayock.    As for the Dolphins, they've had a similar ride to us I agree.  Not sure they have fallen further though.  I know my share of Dolphin fans, they don't quite have the same level of distrust about ownership that we do but they certainly have some.   Most of the ones I know think their current plan to rebuild is killer good so they got some optimism.  But agree they've gone on a similar ride. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

3rd for Gruden but 2nd for Mayock.    As for the Dolphins, they've had a similar ride to us I agree.  Not sure they have fallen further though.  I know my share of Dolphin fans, they don't quite have the same level of distrust about ownership that we do but they certainly have some.   Most of the ones I know think their current plan to rebuild is killer good so they got some optimism.  But agree they've gone on a similar ride. 

If you can believe it they’ve had less success than the Skins record wise. 

I think the fans mental space is better, but they have been even more irrelevant from a record perspective than the skins the last 20 years. 

I wonder if we've had any contact with any decent veteran tackles. I feel like if we open the season with Geron Christian as our starting LT, it's going to be a long, long year.

I thought Penn played decently last year, but he's still a FA, and I haven't heard of any interest in bringing him back.

1 minute ago, ExoDus84 said:

I wonder if we've had any contact with any decent veteran tackles. I feel like if we open the season with Geron Christian as our starting LT, it's going to be a long, long year.

I thought Penn played decently last year, but he's still a FA, and I haven't heard of any interest in bringing him back.

I've got a feeling buddy that we are going with what we've got, and then carry over 25/30m into 2021 season. 

HTTR 

2 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

I've got a feeling buddy that we are going with what we've got, and then carry over 25/30m into 2021 season. 

HTTR 

if we don’t acquire a couple of good/very good veterans from here on in i will be of the opinion this year is nothing now than a learning experience/trial run for RR and co.

47 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Charles could be our LT next year

On 5/12/2020 at 4:36 PM, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I have really strongly agreed with something like your last 15 posts. All very well thought out. Why spend a bunch of Money on Logan Thomas and Warford and Peters to eek out a 7 win season instead of a 4 win season? Take the high draft pick and roll the cap space forward. Sign some big free agents in 2021 and 2022 and retain our guys. We should be aiming to be something like the Dolphins next year. Build a new culture, grab a few wins toward the end of the year, and have plenty to be excited about in the future with your high draft picks and cap room. 

I'm pretty sure they re-signed Kerrigan as a sign of respect so he could get the all time sack record for the franchise.  He would have gotten it last year if it wasn't for the concussion he got in the Detroit game.  He only needs 2 to pass Manley right?

19 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I have really strongly agreed with something like your last 15 posts. All very well thought out. Why spend a bunch of Money on Logan Thomas and Warford and Peters to eek out a 7 win season instead of a 4 win season? Take the high draft pick and roll the cap space forward. Sign some big free agents in 2021 and 2022 and retain our guys. We should be aiming to be something like the Dolphins next year. Build a new culture, grab a few wins toward the end of the year, and have plenty to be excited about in the future with your high draft picks and cap room. 

the issue becomes how much faith do you have in certain players.  You want to have a good enough team to protect your guys

8 minutes ago, carex said:

the issue becomes how much faith do you have in certain players.  You want to have a good enough team to protect your guys

I think the one argument to be had about signing OL and passing game weapons is that we need to protect Haskins. It's not a straw man argument. I still lean in the other direction. Don't chase meaningless wins. If you win because your young core is better than expected, great. Otherwise, take the better draft slot. I'd be all for signing an impact FA that will be here in a few years. Would have been happy with Cooper or Hunter Henry, minus the injury concern. Or even Jack Conklin. But squeezing out a few wins on the back of older mediocre free agents is fools gold. 

13 hours ago, Reaper Skins said:

I'm pretty sure they re-signed Kerrigan as a sign of respect so he could get the all time sack record for the franchise.  He would have gotten it last year if it wasn't for the concussion he got in the Detroit game.  He only needs 2 to pass Manley right?

Was Kerrigan recently resigned?

10 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I saw where Charles has a good shot to start THIS year...only 20 years old. 

Not turning 21 until December too.

13 hours ago, Reaper Skins said:

Maybe you mean "why he wasn't cut" ... he still has one more year on his deal. He could have been cut and all of his cap space relinquished ... or restructured, but maybe they're cool just letting him come back for one more year and breaking the record as you say.

Another option could be to hold him as your #2/3 DE and pass-rusher, let him get the record early in the season, and try to move him to a contender before the deadline for a mid-round pick once you seem Sweat/Chase emerge.

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

I saw where Charles has a good shot to start THIS year...only 20 years old. 

I was referring to the 2020 season.  For me it's still next year, or something like this coming year until the season actually starts

Archived