Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

18 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

We seem to be placing a lot of faith that JDR can get our FA CBs back to their 2017 level of play (Fuller, Darby, Colvin).  All were above average starters, at worst.

Fuller we saw in our old scheme.

What's interesting about Darby and Colvin is they both had their best years playing in a Tampa scheme (Darby in Buffalo under McDermott and Colvin in Jacksonville under Bradley/Wash).

Just looking at his size alone, I don’t see how Charles will not be a guard. He was the shortest LT of all the LT draft prospects. 
I still don’t understand why we didn’t draft Josh Jones (went 6 picks later to Arizona) with our 3rd round pick. There is a very high chance we still could have grabbed Antonio with our 4th round pick. 

41 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

We seem to be placing a lot of faith that JDR can get our FA CBs back to their 2017 level of play (Fuller, Darby, Colvin).  All were above average starters, at worst.

I suspect we are mostly placing a lot of faith that JDR can get the front 5 playing how they should be, meaning all the DBs need to do is remember to run around after the snap..

33 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Fuller we saw in our old scheme.

Are you saying we'll be running the same scheme this year that we did in 2017?  There's definitely still some projection with Fuller, same as the other guys.

33 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

What's interesting about Darby and Colvin is they both had their best years playing in a Tampa scheme (Darby in Buffalo under McDermott and Colvin in Jacksonville under Bradley/Wash).

Definitely interesting, since we likely won't be running a Tampa scheme.  I think we're going to be mostly a Cover 1 and Cover 3 based defense.

6 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

I suspect we are mostly placing a lot of faith that JDR can get the front 5 playing how they should be, meaning all the DBs need to do is remember to run around after the snap..

Yeah, it looks like he wants fast, aggressive CBs who can be opportunistic playing behind a DL that should get a respectable amount of pressures.

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

IF he can't do that within 3 games he should be fired on the spot.

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yeah, it looks like he wants fast, aggressive CBs who can be opportunistic playing behind a DL that should get a respectable amount of pressures.

Maybe i'm way off base but wouldn't it make sense to have corners playing press and be as physical as they can right off the line to prevent any quick outs for the QB? I'm worried about the aggressiveness of the DL leaving guys streaking across the middle on quick slants.

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Are you saying we'll be running the same scheme this year that we did in 2017?  There's definitely still some projection with Fuller, same as the other guys.

Definitely interesting, since we likely won't be running a Tampa scheme.  I think we're going to be mostly a Cover 1 and Cover 3 based defense.

No.

That is the Tampa scheme.  That's a big misconception of that scheme.  It developed it's name more for the personnel than the actual Cover 2 change (LB/Nickel covering the deep 1/3 so deep safeties can double outside receivers).

Heck, the Tampa Cover 2 is a Cover 3 in all practical purposes. 

Rivera cut his teeth under Lovie Smith with Chicago.  They ran Tampa scheme.  JDR was more traditional 4-3. 

The scheme overall is Tampa, just like Carolina ran.

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Maybe i'm way off base but wouldn't it make sense to have corners playing press and be as physical as they can right off the line to prevent any quick outs for the QB? I'm worried about the aggressiveness of the DL leaving guys streaking across the middle on quick slants.

It makes sense if you have CBs who excel at press coverage and have a rangy, instinctive FS to cover for them on the reps they inevitably get beat deep.  I'm not sure we have either of those on this defense right now.  It would make more sense in a predominantly Cover 2 / Cover 4 scheme, where you have 2 safeties high to cover for your CBs getting beat deep, or if you have Earl Thomas in his prime... but that's far from the situation here.

Not to say we'll never have our CBs press.  I'm sure we'll see it situationally.

1 minute ago, Master Blaster said:

No.

That is the Tampa scheme.  That's a big misconception of that scheme.  It developed it's name more for the personnel than the actual Cover 2 change (LB/Nickel covering the deep 1/3 so deep safeties can double outside receivers).

Heck, the Tampa Cover 2 is a Cover 3 in all practical purposes. 

Rivera cut his teeth under Lovie Smith with Chicago.  They ran Tampa scheme.  JDR was more traditional 4-3. 

The scheme overall is Tampa, just like Carolina ran.

I'm saying I expect us to run JDR's defense rather than Rivera's/McDermott's.  Why would you expect differently?  Curious. 

4 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

It makes sense if you have CBs who excel at press coverage and have a rangy, instinctive FS to cover for them on the reps they inevitably get beat deep.  I'm not sure we have either of those on this defense right now.  It would make more sense in a predominantly Cover 2 / Cover 4 scheme, where you have 2 safeties high to cover for your CBs getting beat deep, or if you have Earl Thomas in his prime... but that's far from the situation here.

Not to say we'll never have our CBs press.  I'm sure we'll see it situationally.

So it’s almost a bit of a passive prevent. I’m so worried the line will get so much push off the snap that any QB dropping back 5-7 steps will have a much more open field in the middle because of the aggressiveness. I guess a lot of what we’re gonna do is get after him as much as possible and endure the consequences of not getting there. I can see guys like Miles Sanders torching us.

i can also see Cole Holcomb getting bowled over a hundred times by a receiver out the backfield with a full head of steam.

10 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I'm saying I expect us to run JDR's defense rather than Rivera's/McDermott's.  Why would you expect differently?  Curious. 

Because that's what the HC has run everywhere he has been HC.  Why would you expect him to switch?

9 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Because that's what the HC has run everywhere he has been HC.  Why would you expect him to switch?

Because he hired a highly-respected DC with a great resume, who likely would have never accepted the job if he couldn't even run his own defense.

Not to mention our current personnel fits JDR's scheme much better than it does Rivera's, IMO.

11 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

How so?  What is the difference between each scheme and personnel?

Obviously they both prefer a 4-3 defense, but their coverage principles are a bit different.  To simplify:

JDR:  

-Plays a lot of Cover-1 (Cover 1 Man-Free and Cover 1 Robber)

-Plays mostly Cover-3 when in Zone

JDRs defense relies heavily on generating pressure without blitzing, a rangy FS with the SS primarily in the box, and fast, aggressive CBs.

Rivera:

-Plays mostly Zone (led the league in zone coverage multiple years)

-Plays a lot more Cover-2 (Traditional, Tampa, Cover-2 Trap), Cover 4 and Quarters

Rivera's defense relies heavily on LBs that are good in coverage, safeties who can both cover well deep, and CBs who are extremely aware/instinctive in Zone coverage, and those CBs can be slow, like Norman.

13 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

so we resign Colvin days after a couple of the top CBs left in FA are picked up elsewhere. Got to wonder if we had interest in Ryan especially, just wouldn’t meet his demands. 

I mean it’s now clear we wanted another CB on the roster isn’t it, and Colvin has been sat there the whole time getting no other interest I’d guess.

19 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

so we resign Colvin days after a couple of the top CBs left in FA are picked up elsewhere. Got to wonder if we had interest in Ryan especially, just wouldn’t meet his demands. 

I mean it’s now clear we wanted another CB on the roster isn’t it, and Colvin has been sat there the whole time getting no other interest I’d guess.

I don't think Ryan has signed anywhere yet.

On 5/14/2020 at 1:15 PM, SmallDaddy said:

Just looking at his size alone, I don’t see how Charles will not be a guard. He was the shortest LT of all the LT draft prospects. 
I still don’t understand why we didn’t draft Josh Jones (went 6 picks later to Arizona) with our 3rd round pick. There is a very high chance we still could have grabbed Antonio with our 4th round pick. 

Some were saying Charles had a 1st round grade before the suspension issues. Maybe that's the answer as to why they think he can play tackle.

As for Gibson, I think our scouting dept loves him and believes they're getting a real difference maker on offense. I guess they didn't want to risk losing out on him?

I didn’t see anywhere that Charles had a 1st round grade. Most sites had him as the 10-15th tackle in the draft (and expected him to go 4-6th round). Whereas Jones did have a late first/early 2nd round grade. 

I’m just wondering what turned our front office off from drafting Jones (they know way more than me) 

Archived