Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I just realized Jason Peters has the same agent as Trent so we can probably cross his name off the list of potential replacements.

you think if no one else calls Peters he'd keep his client from signing what could be his last ever contract?  Besides, they're calling for the trade or release, maybe they'll decide having a replacement LT will let them cut Trent

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Actually the saying is the best ability is availability.  While i get what you are saying  Adam Archuletta was also durable,  that didn't stop him from being a liability.  

Thanks for the correction and yes I would agree on Archuletta. However I was speaking about Peyton Barber. The guy’s been in the league a few years and understands pass blocking unlike Guice and Love right now. 

8 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

We signed a running back with the last name barber?

I absolutely love this signing... As I wrote a couple days ago ,I thought the skins were in trouble at RB. AP is still very solid but not getting any younger, Guice and Love while there ceiling is high they haven't proven they can stay healthy and if you can't go on Sundays your not much good to the team. McKissic was a nice pickup as well. I watched some game film on Peyton Barber and  the guy is a little beast he runs hard . He catches the ball well out of the backfield and he picks up the blitz real well not sure what it is but I have a good feeling on this guy

All these not great player add up to depth in the immediate and eventual future.  I look at this as acceptance we can't fill these positions with best players available, but no on does, and frankly, we got bigger problems.

Some of these folks will be here when other veterans or draft picks get added, but answer questions we forgot were so important, like who's the back QB and who's the running back given everyone after AP either can't stay healthy or has little to no experience. 

They are filling gapping holes that ESPN doesn't care about but I've seen bite us in the ass for years.  Agreement can be made they are ahead on defense then offense right now, whatever they do with the secondary will help us transition to 4-3 in one offseason, how long did it take us to get the 3-4 right?  Did we ever get it right?

13 hours ago, KDawg said:

Rogers has gotta be a camp body/a mechanism so the team can pick BPA and not target positions. 

I'm not upset with that strategy. Taking the best guy on your board at all positions is a very sound strategy and one I advocate for. 

I just thought we'd have brought in a few... slightly... more... well...

Middle of the road types. 

But, can't fault the process. We'll see what happens. Every position has bodies in it now. 

That DOES allow BPA. 

I think it's kind of embarrassing the media guys are even announcing some of our lame ass signings.....

1 hour ago, carex said:

you think if no one else calls Peters he'd keep his client from signing what could be his last ever contract?  Besides, they're calling for the trade or release, maybe they'll decide having a replacement LT will let them cut Trent

I'll do you one better, I could see this lousy agent telling the Skins I'll have Peters sign with you to replace Trent at market value if you release Trent. Wouldn't that be something? 

Just now, max21 said:

I actually think we’ve gotten worse during this FA so far. 

How? This actually makes absolutely no sense to me ...... In terms of who actually played in 2019 ...

Lost: Ereck Flowers, Quinton Dunbar, Paul Richardson, Montae Nicholson

Added: Wes Schweitzer, Kendall Fuller, Sean Davis, Cornelius Lucas, Thomas Davis, Logan Thomas, Pierre Louis, JD McKissic

10 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

How? This actually makes absolutely no sense to me ...... In terms of who actually played in 2019 ...

Lost: Ereck Flowers, Quinton Dunbar, Paul Richardson, Montae Nicholson

Added: Wes Schweitzer, Kendall Fuller, Sean Davis, Cornelius Lucas, Thomas Davis, Logan Thomas, Pierre Louis, JD McKissic

Agree. The team has gotten better overall when it pertains to depth. It's just severely lacking top end talent. As was the issue last year.

I don't think our signings make us a contender, but they certainly fix some depth issues.

I just want us to sign a couple corners or... something... so we can be competitive. Unless the plan is to just roll with what they have and evaluate with the real "competitive" process starting this upcoming offseason. Which, I could understand. It would be a bonus to be good this year.

I'm glad people are enjoying ThePackisback, our gift to the residents of ES during this tough time. We had shut down the "positive bot commenter" project for awhile, the twist of making it a fan of a different team hadn't really done enough to help it blend in. Posters kept PMing it CAPTCHA's to prove a point and it was getting embarrassing. 

But for a first attempt, not too bad. The quarantine has given us time to put it back out there on a test basis, feel free to interact with it and see if it's developed at all.

6 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

As Keim says, the Skins have gotten an A+ in March plenty times and it hasn't meant a damn thing September - January. It looks like Rivera has a plan and is sticking to it. I like the reserved approach. I like the kinds of guys he has brought in thus far. They swung for Cooper, missed, and didn't panic and send the Publishers Clearing House squad to Robby Anderson's front door with an absurd offer. I suspect more is coming, and more will certainly go down during the draft. Fans are impatient.

1 minute ago, murphys4life said:

the pats already have talent, please don't compare skins and pats.

I'm speaking more to the approach of building through the draft, which is what all successful teams do. We have done really well building through the draft over the last few years. I have no problem continuing that process. The Patriots build through the draft and continually reload. They occasionally utilize FA to lure in talent to fill in the holes, but that's because players have historically wanted to go to NE to compete for a title. We don't have that luxury at this point.

I do want more front-end talent, yes. But I am also okay with the approach we are currently taking. I think it's clear Ron and Co are looking to evaluate the roster in Year 1. No need to blow the money just to spend.

We have been burned in the past by overpaying mid-tier FAs. We have also been burned by blowing our $$ on high-end guys too. I think this fanbase needs to learn to have some patience.

By the way this literally happens every year. I tried to warn against it, despite my own excitement and projections prior to the FA period starting. But the reality is there are 32 teams. Players want to get paid AND go to a winner. But every off-season fans in here set unrealistic expectations for who the team can/should land in free agency. And every year everyone is extremely disappointed.

FWIW, I care a lot more about headlines like "the Redskins are one of the winners of the 2020 draft" than "The Redskins had the best free agency of any team in the NFC East"

Build through the draft. Supplement through FA.

Ron and Company have used free agency to bolster the depth of the roster and fill in and add competition where we are weakest. Which is really what FA should be for.

Archived