Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

2 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

SIP,

Unfortunately, based upon how free agency has gone, I have no reason to argue against the Redskins being the worst team in the NFC this upcoming season.  Hopefully, the draft and or a trade or two will give me a reason to change my mind.

I guess what you have to ask yourself was whether you believe 2019 was a mirage based on a combo of horrendous coaching, play calling, injury, and player effort, or if you think it really represented the Redskins' talent level. Personally, I think we were probably a 7-9 win team (like all of Gruden's teams seemed to be) that was mismanaged so badly that the team with the exception of the rookies and some first year players all but gave up.

Honestly, I think we defensively have the talent to be a playoff team and offensively the talent to be an 8-8 team. So, I see us winning somewhere between 6 and nine games. Last year, I predicted four wins before the season started because I thought Gruden had lost the team.

Good that people now understand the point I made when signing him :).

Allen deal is heavily favour because of the contract. You can't find a lot of back-up QBs with starting experience for that kind of cap hit. So we now how two cheap QBs and Alex Smith in the owners box. It compensates for the bad Alex contract.

23 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

SIP,

Unfortunately, based upon how free agency has gone, I have no reason to argue against the Redskins being the worst team in the NFC this upcoming season.  Hopefully, the draft and or a trade or two will give me a reason to change my mind.

Could be.  Haskins IMO is the wildcard.    But I wonder about the left side of the O line and the secondary unless they have something else up their sleeve.

I am not that panicked about it either way.  For those who are looking at this with a 2020 or bust vibe, I get their concern.  But if the idea is to carry over cap space and build for 2021, then what they are doing makes plenty of sense to me. 

good deal for Philly

44 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@UK SKINS FAN 74 sorry for my jumbled post. Autocorrect on my phone made that incoherent and i was in a rush and didn’t spell check. But read the Tweets I just posted above. Team has control over Allen on cheap RFA level numbers through 2022. 

ok thanks.

but to clarify, he’s on ERFA terms through 2022?

From Jay (@RedskinsCult): What is the trade value for Trent Williams?

Jay, my understanding is there have been suitors out there for Trent Williams. The trouble is—and I’ll be very clear about this—almost 100% his contract situation. Last year, word circulated that Williams asked the Redskins for quarterback money. And the Redskins found interest over the last few weeks in Williams, only to have suitors push away from the table when apprised of the seven-time Pro Bowl tackle’s financial demands.

Thing is, asking another team for a first- or second-round pick for a player is a lot. You’re giving up a piece of capital that can bring in a young, top player under cost control for the next four or five years—or maybe multiple players, if you trade for, then move the pick. So the player being dealt for has to be good and really valuable to begin with. But if, then, that player wants to break the bank, too? And if he’s in his 30s? Again, it’s a lot.

That’s not to say Williams may not have a legitimate beef with the team, or that he isn’t worth more than he’s making. It’s just that if he really wants to be traded, he has to realistic about it, and work with the team here, since he’s under contract. If he’s more worried about making top dollar? Then play the year out, and hit the market next March. It’s that simple. 

34 minutes ago, pcbothwel said:

Ahhh. Agreed. And having a decent backup making 1M or less for 3 years is huge for us with Alex Smith costing us so much this and next year.

This is Smiths last year on our payroll. We will make him a post June 1 cut next off season to spread out the cap hit. 

@UK SKINS FAN 74 we will probably tender him with a 2nd round RFA at most ... which is $2.9 million. But I would think he'd be eligible for an original-round tender which would be $875k and maybe the 2nd round tender in 2022 for $2.9m ... again not positive how it works, but essentially he's under team control for 2 more years after 2020.

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

This is Smiths last year on our payroll. We will make him a post June 1 cut next off season to spread out the cap hit. 

i thinks he’s gone this year, unless it becomes apparent the season is going to be screwed.

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Or just cut him outright next off-season. Maybe we June 1st him but if we have the $130+ million in cap space in 2021 which looks pretty likely at this point (after cutting Smith) ... we save $14m and eat $10m in 2021 ... think we'd probably do that rather than spread it out over 2 years. But who knows.

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

i thinks he’s gone this year, unless it becomes apparent the season is going to be screwed.

Interesting. Maybe ... Either way, whether we cut him this year and take an additional $10m hit ... or cut him next year, it doesn't really impact our 2021 cap number any differently (via cap rollover)

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Interesting. Maybe ... Either way, whether we cut him this year and take an additional $10m hit ... or cut him next year, it doesn't really impact our 2021 cap number any differently (via cap rollover)

still got the 12mil insurance due back if he can’t play again. Those tweets yesterday implied he was done now, sadly.

Just now, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

still got the 12mil insurance due back if he can’t play again. Those tweets yesterday implied he was done now, sadly.

I have to go back and do some digging, but I saw some folks covering the team say that the insurance policy only helps with cashflow, not with salary cap. So it's not a salary cap relief, but more goes to Dan Snyder's wallet to compensate him for the payout to Smith.

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I thought players were under team control for four years after they entered the league.  After that is when they would be first eligible for unrestricted free agency (unless they were a first rounder and had the 5th year option picked up). During the first four years, if the team wanted to keep them, they would sign them for one year at a time, unless they offered a more lucrative deal.  

So with Kyle Allen being with the Panthers for 2 years already, how can he be under team control for 3 years with the skins?  He wouldn't get his unrestricted free agency until 5 years of being in the league.

11 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I have to go back and do some digging, but I saw some folks covering the team say that the insurance policy only helps with cashflow, not with salary cap. So it's not a salary cap relief, but more goes to Dan Snyder's wallet to compensate him for the payout to Smith.

yeah I’m under the impression that is also cap relief.

2 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I thought players were under team control for four years after they entered the league.  After that is when they would be first eligible for udfa (unless they were a first rounder and had the 5th year option picked up). During the first four years, if the team wanted to keep them, they would sign them for one year at a time, unless they offered a more lucrative deal.  

So with Kyle Allen being with the Panthers for 2 years already, how can he be under team control for 3 years with the skins?  He wouldn't get his udfa until 5 years of being in the league.

Im inclined to agree with you 

Digesting all those Russini tweets, an Albert Breer appearance today on 106.7, the agent's wacky press release from yesterday, and Keim's podcast from yesterday.  My best guess puzzling all those narratives together.

A.  Trent was asking for the moon in salary but has come off that some in recent days but he's still asking for a lot (Breer)

B.  Teams don't want to pay the moon for Trent's salary and also give up a high pick (Breer and just about everyone covering the story)

C.  Multiple teams showed initial interest in trading for Trent but then were turned off mostly by his contract demands.  Trent's agent is perhaps telling him, it's not the money but the Redskins trade demands which is hindering the deal.   (multiple reporters, I am just guessing about the agent's take part of that point)

D.  There is one specific team who seems very interested (Keim), am guessing its the Browns (Cabot)

E. The Redskins are asking for a 2nd rounder or a 3rd rounder and change (multiple reporters) but they aren't negotiating against themselves so they are starting with the higher price demand (my own guess about their negotiating style on the later point)

I am guessing that Trent's agent is feeling desperate because the one team left who seems the most interested in working something out is losing their patience or pretending they are to bring a resolution and might have told the agent that they are likely about to move on.  That point, along with the Dunbar trade, had Trent's camp go ballistic. 

If so my most optimistic takeaway here would be a team (I assume the Browns) are willing to work out the contract with Trent but they are trying to ease up on the price the Redskins are asking for in return.  If that's the case then maybe they can meet in the middle?  No way I'd give Trent away for a ham sandwich just because a team doesn't love both paying a high price for Trent and major draft capital at the same time. 

If that's the problem then Trent should lower his salary demands some more.  The compromise shouldn't have to be coming from the Redskins.  Trent is a Redskins asset.  And its Trent himself who is trying to diminish that asset by his behavior and supposed outlandish contract demands. 

Archived