Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

Barber doesn't bother me for 600k guaranteed. We need a durable body to take a ton of pointless preseason carries, our top 3 guys are either 35 or coming off major injuries essentially, and our 4th guy is a nice passing game weapon that you don't want to wear down with heavy garbage work in the preseason (assuming it even goes as planned, scheduling-wise). 

Would I argue we could have gotten that from an UDFA? Yeah. But 600k guaranteed and no risk to get a guy the coaches want in the RB meeting rooms, whatever.

I'm way more dismayed by the two trades we just made than by this signing or Richard Rodgers. Those are whatever moves that cost nothing. 

They aren't preventing us from making the slightly more...solid signings many of us wish we were seeing. That's another issue entirely that many of us will have to agree to disagree on. 

I hope there are some surprise late season cuts we can take advantage of, like the Desean year. And there's still time for a nice value move at CB or less likely, at FS. 

29 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

From the NFL.com's top 101 free agents, here are remaining players who could/should be of interest to Skins. There are guys on this list who I'd be less than excited about (Dotson, Robinson, Amukamara), there are guys who I'd be okay with if the contract is team-friendly (Peters, Darby, Worley), and there are guys who I would welcome happily (Ryan, Breeland). 

36. Logan Ryan (CB)

42. Jason Peters (OT)

61. Ronald Darby (CB)

71. Demar Dotson (OT)

76. Demarcus Robinson (WR)

79. Bashaud Breeland (CB)

80. Prince Amukamara (CB)

86. Daryl Worley (CB)

You're wasting your time. Look for numbers #100-150 and you'll find who the Redskins are sniffing around signing.

46 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

This has to be one of the unsavviest free agencies a team  has ever had lol

Savvy as in making Hooper the highest TE in the NFL? Getting used by Copper? Not spending valuable cap space on mid tier players just because we have it? Getting a 4th instead of 5th for an oft-injured DB? Not securing a cheap capable QB that will offer a great deal of value in the QB room with young Haskins and his development?

Let this play out. We have the draft coming up. We'll have a lot of cash to play with next year while the crop of FA will be more fruitful.

giphy.gif

Don’t mind the Barber signing.

My guess the dude has a great reputation around the league and his football story would seem to support just that— He went undrafted in 2016 before being resigned and eventually starting 28 games over a 4 year career. He’s a capable 3 down back that can get tough yards in early downs, handle protections in passing situations, and has solid hands. 

These kind of guys with these stories and work ethic have great value to any team. Not claiming to know the dude, but it’s a safe bet he built similarly to that of some of the other free agent signings. 

My thoughts are Rivera really likes his core 8 players (or whatever number he referred to when discussing building a team) and is doing what he can to support these guys with talented and hard- working guys. 

Ron Riviera is the Alex Smith of coaches..

He can succeed with all the pieces in place around him, but at this point is just dink and dunking to have a high completion rate (signing lots of no name players) that wont move the needle. 

I am all for a change in culture but they need to get some playmakers, otherwise we are looking at another 3win season. 

2 minutes ago, oraphus said:

Ron Riviera is the Alex Smith of coaches..

He can succeed with all the pieces in place around him, but at this point is just dink and dunking to have a high completion rate (signing lots of no name players) that wont move the needle. 

I am all for a change in culture but they need to get some playmakers, otherwise we are looking at another 3win season. 

People said the same about Andy Reid until, well ummm... 

Rivera will get his guys. He will get his talent. We're just at the beginning of that.

Loving this off season.....  Nothing flashy but good solid Blue Collar, Good Character guys that you can count on.  Not the a$$hats like Norman and Swearinger who were always whining about something...  Team first guys....  I think this thing is finally headed in the right direction after 20 years of piss poor football. (with the exception of Joe G.)  It will be refreshing to no longer be the laughingstock of the NFC...  Danny Boy really screwed it up when he fired Schottenheimer.  That team played some good defense....  and I feel this team will get to that too...

34 minutes ago, oraphus said:

Until he lucked in to Mahomes? sadly i dont see Mahomes level player falling in to our lap any time soon.

I mean, if you're right in your earlier post that we're in line for another 3 win season, we very well could have a "Mahomes level player" (on a prospect/skillset level) fall into our lap. And it would mean that Haskins sucked, so no guilt pulling that trigger. 

Now I don't think that happens bc I don't think Rivera even with last year's team does that poorly--I see 6-10 as our floor which ironically sucks worse than 3-13, imo. 

Honestly a lot depends on what QB Rivera settles into long term (whether that's Haskins or another rookie in the future) and how that guy meshes with Turner, and if it goes well how well the succession plan works, etc. We are fortunate to be in a position where within the first two years our defense could be elite, and our DC has already failed as a HC multiple times, so he's the perfect candidate to keep continuity on that side of the ball. It all comes down to Haskins or his replacement and how we develop and build around that player, imo. And they know that, which is why imo their exception to the low-key FA they planned was going all-in on Cooper, for Haskins. Absent blue chip talent like that they're staying flexible moving forward, it seems. I'd have done things differently, yeah. So would many here. But the foundation for change and success we all identified upon Rivera's hiring is still there.

44 minutes ago, oraphus said:

Until he lucked in to Mahomes? sadly i dont see Mahomes level player falling in to our lap any time soon.

I mean he did trade up for him. Gave up quite a bit too. He didn’t exactly luck  into him. Even still they were a perennial 9+ win team.

2 hours ago, Jericho said:

The vast majority of big names were gone after 3 days (Clowney being the one major exception). So I'm not sure what else you were expecting

The so-called biggest names were gone after the first 2 or 3 days.  A 3-13 team has to overpay to get the best free agents so I was cool with that.  Plenty of good players were left in that next tier and they didn't get any of them, unless some want to put Fuller in that tier.  I find it hard to believe this is what Rivera targeted as his FA haul.  I suspect FAs just don't want to come to Washington.

2 hours ago, crabbypatty said:

You're wasting your time. Look for numbers #100-150 and you'll find who the Redskins are sniffing around signing.

31 other GM’s passing on those same players.

You think that maybe, just maybe, this executives paid millions of dollars a year to make these decisions know more than what you read on the internet?

22 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

The so-called biggest names were gone after the first 2 or 3 days.  A 3-13 team has to overpay to get the best free agents so I was cool with that.  Plenty of good players were left in that next tier and they didn't get any of them, unless some want to put Fuller in that tier.  I find it hard to believe this is what Rivera targeted as his FA haul.  I suspect FAs just don't want to come to Washington.

We've known for years that Washington wasn't a desirable destination for players. It is going to take a few years to undo that. (Believe it is one of the reasons we didn't get Cooper). 

1 hour ago, nonniey said:

We've known for years that Washington wasn't a desirable destination for players. It is going to take a few years to undo that. (Believe it is one of the reasons we didn't get Cooper). 

It’s not guys like Cooper that are most difficult, as this type of player will usually go to the highest bidder. The Skins have in many cases gotten the most coveted free agents through giving max dollars out.

When Skins can get guys like Emanuel Sanders, Greg Olsen, or Malcom Jenkins types, then we know the situation has improved. Players who are still great or elite in some cases that have secured one or two big time contracts already and see value in a good situation to win and prolong their careers/earnings. 

There’s still a handful of DBs I’d happily take. I also think we will look at Daryl Williams once Trent is traded.

But honestly, based on the moves I’m seeing so far, I’d say there’s a possible intention to sign Clowney and trade back from #2, or at least pass over on Young.

7 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

You ever heard the saying availability is the most important characteristic of a player? Barber is durable. You can’t say that about Guice and Love going into the season. 

Actually the saying is the best ability is availability.  While i get what you are saying  Adam Archuletta was also durable,  that didn't stop him from being a liability.  

6 hours ago, NYSkins21 said:

People said the same about Andy Reid until, well ummm... 

Rivera will get his guys. He will get his talent. We're just at the beginning of that.

At last, someone finally talking sence. I salute you NYSkins21. 

HTTR 

49 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I just realized Jason Peters has the same agent as Trent so we can probably cross his name off the list of potential replacements.

Good, don't want him to use the Skins for a last big payoff before he rides off into the sunset. 

HTTR 

Archived