Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Someone on twitter said we offered Cooper 100 Million.

Is that true ?

$110 M actually is what was reported.

But I'm trying to figure out if we did our usual wining, dining, and schmoozing or if our attempts to land him were pretty much relegated to just a dollar amount.

5 minutes ago, dav87sc said:

I saw a segment where Michael Irvin said it was a contract worth $2M more per year than what he got, but didn't say how long the contract was for.

that I don't know Cali....I agree it would be interesting to know.

If our attempt to sign Cooper did NOT include him flying in for a visit and the whole 9 yards of dinner, private plane to pick up Cooper and his family, meeting with offensive coordinator and dinner with just the right players, then nobody alive should be surprised he didn't sign here. I will say this much, when they wanted to Bruce and Dan (especially Dan) can schmooze with the best of 'em. Dan's whole rep of "If Snyder wants that player, he won't let him leave the building until he signs" was well earned...I have no idea if Ron and Kyle are just as good at schmoozing up free agents or if they're more business-like (read: duller lol). Bruce and Dan went all-our when they wanted Desean Jackson, Josh Norman, and Landon Collins (although Collins was an easier sell). RG3 flew out to Cali to try and recruit Jackson, Snyder sent his private jet to pick up Norman and his family the nanosecond he was made available and had Scot M talk up the Skins to Norman on the plane ride to D.C....Collins got the signed Sean Taylor jersey. Just wondering if we did anything along those lines with Cooper as well, or if that's even Ron ane Kyle's style to do stuff like that there.

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Rumor is that he just used the Skins to "up" the Dallas offer.

There was also a report about how the Cowboys' offer didn't increase even with the Skins putting in a bid.

I am curious, too, because Michael Irvin made it sound like Cooper was pretty open about wanting to stay a Cowboy for life, so I wonder how that would have affected the bid.  Did they really feel they had a chance, or were they throwing a something against the wall and hoping it would stick?  I mean, $22M per could be pretty persuasive for most players.  If his agent made it known to come BIG or don't bother, and they threw that out hoping to get a chance to wine & dine and tweak/close, I can understand.  At those numbers, $2m per wasn't enough of a jump to pull him off his desire to stay in Dallas.

13 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I don't know about that. I wouldn't trade much for Cam but bringing him in here to compete could be the perfect thing for RR, Cam and DH. Nothing would be promised to anyone. Let Cam come in and lets see what he can do in a new city with a hotshot young QB fighting for the starting job. Haskins could use help and it would be good to see him pushed by a vet in that QB room. That being said, I wouldn't give up more than a 5th round pick for Cam at this point given his injury situation. Fact is, we need a backup QB and chances are it's gonna be a guy who's left out somewhere else (Newton, Winston, Dalton, Carr?) DH should be prepared to win the job as opposed to having it handed to him. RR made it clear that he's not patient and wants to win right away; it's easier to do that with a proven vet than a young kid still figuring out the league. And I'm in no way saying that DH isn't the QB of the future in DC, it just might be further down the road then he'd like unless he kicks ass in summer camp and preseason. 

Nah man, it would be an unbelievably stupid mistake.  I don't have to hope for the best with a new regime if they commit such an unbelievably stupid mistake.  I'd be out on them because the evidence would already pretty concrete that they're incompetent.  And whether you think so or not, bringing in Cam means the end of Haskins's future in DC.

You don't support and develop a young QB by spending a quarter of your cap on his back ups, neither of whom are healthy.  You don't bring in a personality like Cam either and expect him to gracefully mentor a young QB.  Do you see any other team with a young highly drafted QB they're trying to develop making moves like this?  No, because it's asinine and utterly contradicts the goal and process for developing a young QB.  I'm pretty sure we're not going to do it because I'm pretty sure Rivera and Kyle Smith are not incompetent.

The big moves we tried to make show our true intentions.  We went big game hunting for vet receivers and lost out on Diggs and Cooper.  We're looking to add support Haskins with legit high end vet talent and aren't trying to saddle him with three bargain store sophomore receivers and some JAGs again.  I think our FO is actually smart and not stupid, and a smart organization props up their young QB prospect with as much supporting talent as they can, and puts him in as favorable a position to succeed as possible, until he's a developed enough player to prop the organization up in return.

There is no way I trade for Cam. I wouldn’t sign him if released either. DH is my QB.

And I like Cam, dont get me wrong, he’s been beat up but he can be amazing when healthy which he hasn’t been for going on a few seasons now. I just would like to give the young fella a chance and build something from the ground up.

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

There was also a report about how the Cowboys' offer didn't increase even with the Skins putting in a bid.

Suuuuurrrrrreeeee.  So the Cowboys offered Cooper $20 million per, and he said " not enough", and then a few hours after FA starts another team starts offering him $22 million and he quickly runs back to the Cowboys to accept, rather than seeing a few days out.

Suuuuuuuurrrrreeeee.

There is absolutely no way I would go for Cam Newton, walking wounded at best. I've liked Rivera so far with the way he talks and his signings he's made, but this just makes me feel like a same old Redskins kind of a signing and nothing is going to change under Rivera. 

HTTR 

2 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

Newton doesn't strike me as a good back up and vet support for Haskins. So I would stay away from it. I would go Haskins or broke. And get somebody in the mix that is also great in support. 

Actually I think his best bet is a team like Washington. He signs a one year, 10 mil deal as backup and if Haskins struggles then cam could get another opportunity. At worst it’s a full year to heal that shoulder. He’s not going to get top dollar right now so he should do what Teddy B did.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Anyone know the reason why Fuller didn't re-sign with the Chiefs ?

Was it the Chief's decision, or Fuller's decision ? And either way, why was at least one party not interested in a new contract ?

Chiefs are in absolute cap hell right now and haven't signed Mahomes to a LTD yet while Chris Jones is also just on the tag. They need to save every Dollar possible. I obviously don't know whether they would have tried to keep Fuller otherwise but in reality they didn't really have a choice.

6 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Bruce and Dan went all-our when they wanted Desean Jackson, Josh Norman, and Landon Collins (although Collins was an easier sell). RG3 flew out to Cali to try and recruit Jackson, Snyder sent his private jet to pick up Norman and his family the nanosecond he was made available and had Scot M talk up the Skins to Norman on the plane ride to D.C....Collins got the signed Sean Taylor jersey. Just wondering if we did anything along those lines with Cooper as well, or if that's even Ron ane Kyle's style to do stuff like that there.

Dan is particular can woo FAs.    I don't think though Collins even had to meet with Dan if I recall unless am mis-remembering, I thought the signed Sean Taylor jersey came after he was signed as opposed to pre.   Collins lobbied the Redskins to draft him predraft process, always wanted to be on the team.  Rare these days but fortunately he grew up as a Sean Taylor-Portis guy. 

With Josh if I recall NO was the other team who wanted him but he never got to meeting with him.  If I recall D. Hall flew up with him on a private plane.  Full court press and more importantly they made him the richest corner at the time.  Heck right through last year he was still tops, or top 3 paid.   As for Desean it was the Redskins versus SF.  Thinking about that one, a key woo person was again D. Hall.  I recall him taking him out with Wale.  

As for Amari Cooper, I wonder though if a visit to Redskins Park would have worked in his case considering what he said about what he liked about being a Cowboy.  He talked about it several times but to paraphrase he liked the attention of being on that team and specifically highlighted their state of the art facilities.  The Redskins are these days a lower tier national grabbing attention team and its facilities are probably the worst in the NFL.

Getting Bruce Allen out the door and Rivera and Kyle in charge, I think was huge.  But IMO there is a another key component at least for some and that is getting a new stadium/new facilities.    

Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 7.50.48 AM.png

7 hours ago, Califan007 said:

$110 M actually is what was reported.

But I'm trying to figure out if we did our usual wining, dining, and schmoozing or if our attempts to land him were pretty much relegated to just a dollar amount.

From what was said heavy lobbying from his old Alabama teammates. 

6 hours ago, Califan007 said:

If our attempt to sign Cooper did NOT include him flying in for a visit and the whole 9 yards of dinner, private plane to pick up Cooper and his family, meeting with offensive coordinator and dinner with just the right players, then nobody alive should be surprised he didn't sign here. I will say this much, when they wanted to Bruce and Dan (especially Dan) can schmooze with the best of 'em. Dan's whole rep of "If Snyder wants that player, he won't let him leave the building until he signs" was well earned...I have no idea if Ron and Kyle are just as good at schmoozing up free agents or if they're more business-like (read: duller lol). Bruce and Dan went all-our when they wanted Desean Jackson, Josh Norman, and Landon Collins (although Collins was an easier sell). RG3 flew out to Cali to try and recruit Jackson, Snyder sent his private jet to pick up Norman and his family the nanosecond he was made available and had Scot M talk up the Skins to Norman on the plane ride to D.C....Collins got the signed Sean Taylor jersey. Just wondering if we did anything along those lines with Cooper as well, or if that's even Ron ane Kyle's style to do stuff like that there.

Last week Snyder halted all travel by team officials, so i highly doubt, given the circumstances, that we were exposing anyone to any sort of high impact social interaction.  If the virus wasn't a factor, i imagine we would have done the elaborate nights out, but currently... i imagine they are on hold.

https://www.redskins.com/news/statement-from-washington-redskins-owner-dan-snyder-regarding-covid-19

"Due to health and travel concerns surrounding COVID-19 we have informed all of our scouts and coaches that they must return to their home bases and travel will be suspended until further notice. The health and safety of our staff and players is our number one priority and we feel that these are the necessary precautions given the current circumstances."

I would be interested to know if Snyder had WANTED to do this, but was forced to hold back because of the virus, or if Rivera and Smith were the ones orchestrating this deal and schmoozing was not a part of the plan.  

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

No way they are parting with Howard. Might be able to get Brate and pick though. And I would be happy with that. Brate is a TD machine.

Brady has always been one to utilize his tight ends... now at 43 and the arm possibly not being what it once was, i can see him pushing to keep both TEs. 

Archived