Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS ANNOUNCE RON RIVERA AS HEAD COACH

TK

1 hour ago, TMK9973 said:

BTW - I didn't see the press conference live (Listend to some of it). But looking at pictures.

Did Snyder NOT bring out the 3 Super Bowl trophies? 

if he didn't, thats huge.  

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

He did not, I think that was symbolic and a quiet way of saying " I get it, these Superbowls from 30 years ago don't have much meaning anymore".

That's my interpretation.

Bruce Allen stopped the practice of putting the three SB trophies out during introductory pressers when he was first hired. We didn't put the trophies out for Shanahan's introductory presser, Gruden's presser or Scot's presser. It's actually nothing new.

2 hours ago, dyst said:

Don’t say anything. Thank him for the job. We don’t need to hear how he is all about winning, and how much they brainstormed, and his house etc. 

"We" the fans may not need to hear it, because we've been through it again and again, but this is Ron's first public appearance as one of Dan's employees. Give him a break... 

51 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Good call. 35 hours worth of being locked in an ice cold room with Snyder must have been fun.

I thought it was nice that he mentioned it. And if it's true, then Ron had plenty of time to share his philosophy with Dan, and after all that time, Dan offered him the job and Ron accepted. So it must have been productive.

I'm ready to ease off Snyder just a little for now. He ousted the guy primarily responsible for a lot of the crappy things that have happened over the last 10 years. He seems to want to finally bring in some people who actually understand the game. And he knows he has to do this now, after spending the last few seasons at Fedex seeing an increasing number of empty seats, or ones being filled by the opposing teams' fans. If this were business as usual, he would have kept Bruce and told him to hire the new staff.   

Um...this is "interesting" lol...

Dan's view on what will be changed: "Redskins owner Dan Snyder stepped to the microphone on Thursday and told the world his plan: His team would have one voice going forward and it belongs to new head coach Ron Rivera."

Troy Aikman, on how to fix the Cowboys: The crux of the problem, Aikman said, is the team needs just one voice during a season.

“I don’t think players should be hearing from anyone other than one person. I don’t think the public should be hearing anything other than from one person. and that should be the head coach,” he said. 

1 hour ago, Dissident2 said:

Oh, I agree completely. But my initial problem with him was his overall record after 9 years. It's not great, simply isn't. That concerns me, and some of these comments from people who've followed him as fans for 9 years concern me a bit, too. I've always maintained he's a lot better than what we've had. Very happy to have all that concern proven unfounded; I am excited that Bruce is gone and I can really invest emotionally in the team again. I think Rivera is a good dude, and that's important to me. But I was giddy when Allen and Shanny were brought in and Vinny was canned. I'm just going to stick with being cautiously optimistic for now. We'll see. One thing's for sure, being in this position is far better than where we were this time last year. 

I blame Ron's mediocre record on Gettleman who may be the most overrated GM in football. Look at his draft record. Outside of CmC and Trai Turner I can't find a single player that didn't underachieve. Look what he's done with the Giants. In two years he's turned a 3-13 Giants team into a 4-12 Giants team. He lucked into Barkley and that's basically it. He literally had more players shot this draft year than players that overachieved. Probably why Ron wanted to be more involved with player personnel. GMs can ruin a coach's reputation.

4 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Um...this is "interesting" lol...

Dan's view on what will be changed: "Redskins owner Dan Snyder stepped to the microphone on Thursday and told the world his plan: His team would have one voice going forward and it belongs to new head coach Ron Rivera."

Troy Aikman, on how to fix the Cowboys: The crux of the problem, Aikman said, is the team needs just one voice during a season.

“I don’t think players should be hearing from anyone other than one person. I don’t think the public should be hearing anything other than from one person. and that should be the head coach,” he said.

Looks like you just found another member of Snyder's committee lol. Gibbs and Aikman down, time to find the rest.

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

btw, am I the only one to think that Ron and Dan look-a-like?

@Dan T. what's your call mate?

Good one! 

Someone posted here after seeing Snyder and Rivera together at the presser that Dan looked like Rivera's kid brother.

Considering that this is looking like a complete house-cleaning, we may need to do a Redskins staff look-a-like thread once the dust settles and all the new people are on board.

24 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Rivera has bagged himself a whole load of authority and power, he is going to surround himself with 'his' people. 

This place is being turned over big time.

This is what I see also.  

I also heard Coach say when things go well “it’s us” when things go bad “it’s me,” ...that’s Leadership 101 no matter what business you are in...professional Football or the manager at a McDonalds.  

Take the blame and not the credit.

7 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I was actually wondering about that lol...

Urban Meyer must have been asked about his thoughts on Haskins and Mclaurin when he was there as well.  What they need in order to succeed, how to motivate, potential weaknesses, etc.

Seems pretty clear hes on the list as well

56 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Bruce Allen stopped the practice of putting the three SB trophies out during introductory pressers when he was first hired. We didn't put the trophies out for Shanahan's introductory presser, Gruden's presser or Scot's presser. It's actually nothing new.

Yes he did, but I don't think Allen put them away because they were so long ago.

I always got the impression that Allen tried to downplay the greatest time in Redskins history... the Gibbs 1.0 era.

Downplay it because it overshadowed his father's time in Washington.

I mean, if he was worried about not living in the past, then he wouldn't have had the players wearing those dog-ugly mustard and ketchup uniforms that resembled the ones during his father's era.

Either way, I didn't expect to see them today.

9 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

This is what I see also.  

I also heard Coach say when things go well “it’s us” when things go bad “it’s me,” ...that’s Leadership 101 no matter what business you are in...professional Football or the manager at a McDonalds.  

Take the blame and not the credit.

Yep.

That is what Gibbs did.

When the team won, he praised the players and his assistant coaches and gave them all the credit.

When the team lost, he shouldered all the blame.

It's the best way for the coach to be.

There seemed to be a completely different atmosphere when Rivera stepped to the podium than we have seen in many years.  His confidence was very evident.  He clearly has the biggest stick and full support of the owner.  This is a good day in Washington Redskins story.  A lot to be done, but we have taken several steps in the right direction.  Happy Thanksgiving.  HTTR.

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I was glad that he said they're going to be shooting gaps and will be stopping the run "on the way to the QB". I was a bit worried that JDR was going to try putting in a two gap conservative scheme, which is completely at odds with the players we have. 

I think Payne is gonna flourish in this type of defense..He had a very fast 10 yard split at the combine for a guy his size.

11 minutes ago, evmiii said:

There seemed to be a completely different atmosphere when Rivera stepped to the podium than we have seen in many years.  His confidence was very evident.  He clearly has the biggest stick and full support of the owner.  This is a good day in Washington Redskins story.  A lot to be done, but we have taken several steps in the right direction.  Happy Thanksgiving.  HTTR.

def diff after stuttering Dan. 

you can’t spell Happy Thanksgiving without HT. 

Dan just rewrote the fight song to Happy Thanksgiving The Redskins.  😋

1 hour ago, BraveWarrior said:

"We" the fans may not need to hear it, because we've been through it again and again, but this is Ron's first public appearance as one of Dan's employees. Give him a break... 

You’re probably right. Hopefully this time it’s different compared to Turner, Spurrier, Shotty, Gibbs, Zorn, Shanny,  and Gruden. Maybe Snyder has finally learned something.

I've seen numerous comparisons to when Dan hired Mike Shanahan.

Superficially, perhaps. Ron has an obvious humility that contrasts with Shanahan's ego and thin skin. Not to mention that the organizational plan was already fragmented by the hiring of Bruce shortly before that.

Dan could still sabotage it all, of course, but he's making the right moves so far.

Archived