Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS ANNOUNCE RON RIVERA AS HEAD COACH

TK

What's interesting is that Rivera's coaching tenure in Carolina parallels that of his predecessor, John Fox. Both coached Carolina for nine seasons, had similar records (Rivera 76-63-1, Fox 73-71)  (Rivera 3-4 in playoffs, Fox 5-3 in playoffs) and both got them to the SB, but lost. 

Fox then went on to coach Denver in his second stop and had a 46-18 regular season record with a 5-3 playoff record, which included a SB loss. And who was Fox's DC in Denver? None other than Jack Del Rio. I know Denver had Peyton Manning at QB from 2012-2015, but that's not the point.

Now, what the hell does all this have to do with the price of tea in China? Nothing. But if Rivera can have a record in his second stop as a HC with Del Rio as his DC, like Fox did in his second stop as a HC with Del Rio as his DC, we're going to be alright. The stars might be aligned for good things to come and if so, hopefully Rivera can close the deal and do what Fox couldn't- win the SB.  

18 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Um... That kind of is the point.

So we're going to sign Tom Brady?

or Cam Newton?

I know, but my point was to compare the coaches and their similar paths at Carolina and then hiring Del Rio as their DC for their second stints. Obviously, Peyton Manning played a huge roll in Denver's success.

22 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Um... That kind of is the point.

Point or no point, gotta have a QB worth his salt.  Jury's going to be out on Haskins for a while but it will be mighty interesting to see if they pick a QB in the upcoming draft!

39 minutes ago, FuriousD said:

Point or no point, gotta have a QB worth his salt.  Jury's going to be out on Haskins for a while but it will be mighty interesting to see if they pick a QB in the upcoming draft!

I subscribe to the theory you draft a QB almost every year somewhere in the draft just as a guy to have around, because most often you need a developmental guy.  Having 2 young guys competing for a roster spot or a practice squad spot is good. 

If you can find one who sticks as a backup, it’s very beneficial financially. 

16 minutes ago, ggarriso said:

26.9 QBR in 2019 - that puts him in the bottom third of the backups..  6 decent quarters do not make a franchise QB :)

And a few bad starts to begin an NFL career does not make him a lifetime "borderline serviceable back-up". You can't play both sides of that model. 

He improved as the season went on which is all you can ask for from a rookie. It's too small a sample size to make any long term call. He earned the right to continue to improve. Either he does and the team is all the better for it or he doesn't and they move on. 

But saying he is a "borderline serviceable back-up" as if it some kind of fact is just as ridiculous as saying we have found our franchise QB. Nowhere near enough data to make either case. 

On 1/1/2020 at 12:31 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

This isn’t the thread for that.

I'm just saying we shouldn't get caught up in the hype until a new GM is announced.

We've seen time and time again high-profile coaches being undermined here. 

So let's take the Rivera hiring with some perspective, please.

Just now, El Mexican said:

I'm just saying we shouldn't get caught up in the hype until a new GM is announced.

We've seen time and time again high-profile coaches being undermined here. 

So let's take the Rivera hiring with some perspective, please.

And I’m saying this isn’t the thread for that.  There are a million threads about the GM.  

And Ron has final personnel control so a GM who comes in would not. 

Dan is a wealthy, shy introvert that needs to warm up to a person to be himself. I know a bunch of people like that. Most are misunderstood. I've seen Dan's actions and I'm cool with him. All the reporter narrative **** can go where it came from. Assigning a personal label to someone based on the performance of 53 other dudes is pretty short sighted. IMO, Dan hates the failure of the team while getting in front of the very people that he would love to be a part of.....the fan. 

I really like this hire of Ron Rivera.  He is going to bring the toughness back into this organization.  Also, add the hiring of DC, Jack Del Rio, and this will be a team worth watching in 2020.  I have been a long time Redskins' fan and I have not been this excited about the team in well over a decade.  

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Thanks for the info SiP..
some more info on John Matsko our potential new OL coach. Tons of experience and may just be the guy who rights the ship with our running game, which has been lackluster to say the least w/ Gruden/Callahan at the helm.  

Over his tenure his running game is ranked 3rd overall in the NFL over his 9 years in Carolina. The guy knows how the run the ball and run it well.  Excited to see what he can do with Guice/Love/AP. Click the link below.

https://www.panthers.com/team/coaches-roster/john-matsko

20 hours ago, ggarriso said:

We found a borderline serviceable backup in last years draft! Now hopefully RR goes and gets the QB of the future!

I think your wrong about this. Haskins improved tremendously over the past 3-4 games. Go look at his stats.  Got to give him another year and adjustment to a new scheme potentially.

Initially I thought he was going to potentially be a bust. But I believe every rookie needs a full year and a half before you can decide. Look at Peyton Manning's numbers when he started. He threw a ton of INT's the first few years.  

So you have to be open to the new scheme as well and if that is the case you have to give him at least 8 games.  It is up to RR obviously who he brings in but he needs to be patient with a young QB.

I find this info a bit disconcerting when comparing Jason Garrett and RR. I've always thought of Garrett as a mediocre AT BEST coach, and yet, his record is better than Ron's in some ways. In the areas where Ron pulls ahead, it's very close. 

Garrett had 9.5 years with the Cowboys, Rivera had just under 9 with the Panthers, so I think the respective career lengths are very comparable. 

Winning Percentage

Rivera: .546 (76-63-1)

Garrett: .559 (85-67)

Winner: Garrett

Losing seasons

Rivera: 6

Garrett: 1

Winning Seasons

Rivera: 3

Garrett: 4

Playoff Games

Rivera: 7 (3 wins, 4 losses)

Garrett: 5 (2 wins, 3 losses)

Winner: Rivera

Playoff Wins

Garrett: 2

Division Titles

Garrett: 3

Tie

Coach of the Year Titles

Rivera: 2

Garrett: 1

Super Bowl Appearances

Rivera: 1

Garrett: 0

These stats are pretty damn comparable. The one that stands out to me is six losing seasons for RR vs. 1 for Howdy Doody. Granted, three of JG's seasons went 8-8, but still. 

I really like Ron, I really love his attitude, but still ... the record I don't find especially impressive. Better than our last ten years? Of course. But far from eye-popping. Hopefully something else was holding him back in Carolina and he finds the perfect mesh here. 

20 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Pst .  It’s not with replying to that dribble. 

19 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Let's not indulge this guy. At least make him post his stinky bait in a Haskins thread to get attention. 

Sorry thats my fault... shoulda known better

Archived