Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS ANNOUNCE RON RIVERA AS HEAD COACH

TK

9 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

Oh, I agree completely. But my initial problem with him was his overall record after 9 years. It's not great, simply isn't. That concerns me, and some of these comments from people who've followed him as fans for 9 years concern me a bit, too. I've always maintained he's a lot better than what we've had. Very happy to have all that concern proven unfounded; I am excited that Bruce is gone and I can really invest emotionally in the team again. I think Rivera is a good dude, and that's important to me. But I was giddy when Allen and Shanny were brought in and Vinny was canned. I'm just going to stick with being cautiously optimistic for now. We'll see. One thing's for sure, being in this position is far better than where we were this time last year. 

That is completely fair man.

35 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

Not trying to rain on the parade, but here are some of their comments after today's presser. Some sour grapes, I'm sure, but remember, they had 9 years with the guy:

I could put together a long list of post's from extremeskins that'll make you not want to take chase young until the 7th round. 

Message board collages mean basically nothing to me.

3 minutes ago, Gibbs828791 said:

Is our problem that Dan Snyder is a bumbling idiot. Happy Thanksgiving..what is wrong with this guy....no jersey at the podium...

He didn't inherit his money.   May not be the nicest guy, but absolutely not an idiot.

10 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

And quite clearly finding it impossible to thank him for his services is also very telling.

Not if you realize along the way that he was a manipulative fraud.  And, we don't know how those final conversation ended..Bruce's reputation is far less than flattering.

And by the way, the term friendship has a lot of beer froth on it. 😁

2 hours ago, fearlessNelms said:

One thing I did not like is when Rivera said something to the effect of- The coaches and personnel people will collaborate and if they need added input, they'll involve Dan. Big mistake!

I took that statement to mean we will talk about every major decision that needs to be made in a collaborative effort, and IF we are unable to agree...Dan will be asked to help get a decision made.  What that means is that rarely if ever will Dan have to be involved. 99% of the time the decision will be made by the Football people.  Why would you bring in people who are likely to disagree with you at every turn?  I can’t conceive of too many times where Dan will be asked his opinion on a skill player with all that football experience in the room.  If he is asked...something is wrong.

Edit: Also it’s the right thing to say about your new boss even if it never actually materializes that way.  Dan is the owner of the team.

Any "leaks" to who the folks that Danny enlisted as advisors for this process?  I suspect Gibbs may be one member, but very curious to the entire "committee" - as it may help provide some guidance to the next steps with the front office.......

5 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

I took that statement to mean we will talk about every major decision that needs to be made in a collaborative effort, and IF we are unable to agree...Dan will be asked to help get a decision made.  What that means is that rarely if ever will Dan have to be involved. 99% of the time the decision will be made by the Football people.  Why would you bring in people who are likely to disagree with you at every turn?  I can’t conceive of too many times where Dan will be asked his opinion on a skill player with all that football experience in the room.  If he is asked...something is wrong.

I like your take- I didn't really look at it that way, but it makes a lot of sense. Here's to hoping you're right and that ends up being the case.

2 hours ago, fearlessNelms said:

One thing I did not like is when Rivera said something to the effect of- The coaches and personnel people will collaborate and if they need added input, they'll involve Dan. Big mistake!

Get over it. Owner are taking sides in every team every year. That happens more than you think of.

Still, we have (us as fans) to realise that owners do have a say on many things. The kind of team they want, the kind of players they want on their team. Just like for Reuben Foster, I wish Dan told everyone not to, because that was bad PR at the time being. If there's a disagreement between personnel/coaches. Then yeah, it's up to the owner to take a side. JKC did it more than once between Bobby and coach Gibbs.

10 minutes ago, jjpomeroy said:

Any "leaks" to who the folks that Danny enlisted as advisors for this process?  I suspect Gibbs may be one member, but very curious to the entire "committee" - as it may help provide some guidance to the next steps with the front office.......

Yeah I'm curious to find out myself. And yes I believe Gibbs would be one of them.

7 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Why is everyone so hung up about a coach who doesn't wear a jersey not getting a jersey? Is Ron supposed to be a make-a-wish foundation player along with being a coach? He gets to pretend he's a player too?

Well he was classy in his suit.

btw, am I the only one to think that Ron and Dan look-a-like?

BBYwu6M.img?h=315&w=600&m=6&q=60&o=t&l=f

Daniel-Snyder.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

@Dan T. what's your call mate?

17 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Why is everyone so hung up about a coach who doesn't wear a jersey not getting a jersey? Is Ron supposed to be a make-a-wish foundation player along with being a coach? He gets to pretend he's a player too?

Cuz it was supposed to be there and it wasnt, and Rivera was looking for it

31 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I could put together a long list of post's from extremeskins that'll make you not want to take chase young until the 7th round. 

Message board collages mean basically nothing to me.

I'll toss some good riddance Kyle Shannahan posts in there too. 

Dan looked exhausted and beaten up to me. He needs a savior and seems willing to do his part by stepping out....

Now he needs to get it right on the marketing, fan engagement end. Who will lead that charge? Also, I wonder how much the mass exodus of office personnel impacted Dan? He couldn't have had a worse year than 2019...here's hoping today is the beginning of a tremendous decade and beyond.

My take on the news conference?

1) Happy Thanksgiving?

2) "We will have discipline and accountability......."Where's my Jersey?"

3) There is going to be a QB battle in training camp. 

4) It is going to take Rivera a LONG time to get rid of the Clown Show in this organization.

5) Rivera is the right man for this team right now. 

I believe in balance in a staff. Sometimes, that refers to experience. Both Rivera and Del Rio are gray beards. It's probably a good idea to have some youth on the staff that can be on the cutting edge. You want solid and you want innovators.

Is KOC that guy? Is he someone who can be the bright young mind in a room of old grumpy experts?

I don't really know, but i do believe it's good to have someone like that on staff with enough power that they feel confident about speaking up and out. More importantly, if Rivera believes that Haskins and the rookie receivers really had turned a corner, then it might just be a good idea to keep that going and see where it leads.

2 hours ago, veteranskinsfan said:

The Danny wished us a Happy Thanksgiving- he needs to do more public speaking... must have been very nervous to start out the presser.

Was probably an inside joke btwn him and Ron, as it sounds like they've been meeting and "collaborating" since about the end of November, based on what Ron explained. 

I just listened to the press conference in full. I really really like Rivera, I think he was the perfect hire for our team. I also like the fact that Dan Snyder had a vision that the coach will be the one making the decisions. He's actually absolutely right, but only if you find the right coach. I get the vibes that Ron is that guy, he's the first coach we've hired in 15 years that is saying the things that need to be said. I heard Ron say a lot of "I will's" and not nearly as many "we hope to's", and that says a lot to me. Tells me he's disciplined, accountable for his own actions, and isn't going to hide from the mammoth of a job he has in front of him. 

I also appreciate the fact that Dan Snyder is the one doing the introductions, this is your team, be proud of your product. It seems to me like he's getting it and is aware of what it takes. At this point, if he meddles and jumps the gun without letting Ron do his thing, he'll be doomed forever because he isn't oblivious, he just can't help himself at that point. 

I'm going to stay optimistic in 2020, these guys can get it done. 

Archived