Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS ANNOUNCE RON RIVERA AS HEAD COACH

TK

2 minutes ago, redrobert said:

Appreciate you fellas!

Obviously a lot of guys cleared out the locker and headed out (hell after our season who could blame them) so I don’t read too much into who wasn’t there.

it is however interesting to see who was. 

Guice is rehabbing and AP is probably helping him. Jon Allen lives in the area.

I wouldn't worry about Rivera's "overall" record too much. Record is important, but it's not everything when evaluating a coach. At the end of the day, the players still have to play the game. I believe Rivera's professionalism, attitude, and reputation are exactly what this organization needs at this time. 

HTTR!

11 minutes ago, Captain James said:

I wouldn't worry about Rivera's "overall" record too much. Record is important, but it's not everything when evaluating a coach. At the end of the day, the players still have to play the game. I believe Rivera's professionalism, attitude, and reputation are exactly what this organization needs at this time. 

HTTR!

Belichick's head coaching record was 41-55 at one point...

Only thing that annoyed me with the press conference was him saying how some veteran QBs will get a chance to play (or whatever). I get it, he could just be saying that to keep all the QBs motivated going into camp. But honestly, going into this passing season, I was apart of the group who wanted Haskins to be the starter out the gate. No matter how he looked, give him starter reps all the way through. Through preseason, give him all the starts. Beginning of the season against the tough schedule, LET HIM START. Thats how I felt going into this past season. All the time knowing that Grudens job came before anything else, I watched the **** show with a veteran QB who didnt have half of DHs ability and fire. Cool.....watched the losses pile up. DH final gets starter reps, a few games later, what do you know, our rookie QB looking legit AF. Season over, the few fans left are excited about DHs growth. Obviously he's going to get the #1 spot going into camp, and CERTAINLY Ron Rivera saw DHs growth and potential and those games, so obviously DH is going to start out the gate. Fast forward to this press conference, now we talking about veterans getting a shot......sigh.....

Cool, I'm not going to lose sleep, but I tell you one thing, if we deep into training camp and DH is splitting reps with Case Keenum or some dusty passed their prime never was **** in the league QB, I'm going to be ****ing livid. If another QB is getting the starter reps over DH, he better be LIGHTS OUT BETTER than DH. That QB better look like Brady in his prime, Rodgers, Mahommes, or Lamar Jackson. If that's not the case, LET DH ****ING PLAY and cut the bull****. He's not going to look perfect, he's in his 2nd ****ing year as a QB. Let him grow and develop.   Sigh.......again, I'm not going to look to deep into this as it can just be coach talk. And Im confident DH will beat out anyone put in front of him. Whatever, dont mind me I'm just venting.......

Other than that, welcome to the team......

Interesting ESPN article today wrote that when Ron went to meet Joe Gibbs for guidance (great idea to meet with the only good thing that happened in Snyder’s tenure), the “Hall of Fame coach gave Rivera this message: Snyder is passionate and will do what you ask, but you must be upfront with him and keep him in the loop.”

So I think that means that Ron needs to be honest with Snyder even if it is not something he wants to hear. So if Ron says ‘Back off, let me handle this’ Snyder just might do that. And like he said in the presser, make sure you communicate to everyone. 

15 minutes ago, DCdangerous said:

Interesting ESPN article today wrote that when Ron went to meet Joe Gibbs for guidance (great idea to meet with the only good thing that happened in Snyder’s tenure), the “Hall of Fame coach gave Rivera this message: Snyder is passionate and will do what you ask, but you must be upfront with him and keep him in the loop.”

So I think that means that Ron needs to be honest with Snyder even if it is not something he wants to hear. So if Ron says ‘Back off, let me handle this’ Snyder just might do that. And like he said in the presser, make sure you communicate to everyone. 

That seems like a hostile way to communicate with the owner of the team. Just tell him what the plan is and why that's the plan, that should be good enough. 

Finally saw the presser. Snyder is looking beat up. He must be stressing in recent years. Also, he needs to speak more so he can practice more and get better at it. Kinda felt bad for him. Anyways, positive vibes for the most part. 

Clearly something went down with him and Bruce. Snyder thanked Callahan but made no mention of Bruce yet emphasized “culture change”.

6 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Bruce Allen stopped the practice of putting the three SB trophies out during introductory pressers when he was first hired. We didn't put the trophies out for Shanahan's introductory presser, Gruden's presser or Scot's presser. It's actually nothing new.

Because back in 2010 the price for an ounce of Sterling Silver spiked to over 50 dollars per ounce.

Those trophies weigh 7 pounds each! All pure silver. The Redskins had 3 of them.

*Bruce had them melted down and got himself a nice stash of Coors Light.

*Just a rumor I heard

52 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

thanksgiving.... sandbags!??

Dan is probably really drunk right now vowing to not speak for another 10 years. He won't fire anyone to avoid speaking. Now we know why Bruce survived so long.

I mean...did any of us really expect anything besides awkward and stunted speaking from this guy?

ftYBzL4.gif

So when's the demolition of Redskins Park scheduled for? :)

No way Ron Ron wants to risk infection staying in there for too long.  Time for major renovations, at least. Cant be straight faced about a good culture when you've got to walk into that dump that probably gives off the aura of a 40 year old bowling alley in the middle of South Dakota

Can you, for the love of God and everything that is pure and holy, never again post a pic of Snyder cheering again. I just threw up in my mouth, tripped over my granddaughter, started a fire by falling the hose to the oven. But hey, Bruce ****ing Allen is gone. 😂 Happy new year, boys and girls. 😉

I have lived in Carolina for Rivera's entire tenure there.

So I have had a LOT of exposure to him, media-wise, here in Panther territory.

My impression has always been that he was an average coach, and nothing really special. I honestly never envied him as a coach.

But through the last few days I've gotten to know him even more.

And I see that he has some qualities that have been very lacking in Redskin HC's for quite a while.

And quite possibly, those qualities are somewhat the missing pieces of the puzzle for us.

So I am optimistic and open-minded for what he can do here.

4 hours ago, dyst said:

Finally saw the presser. Snyder is looking beat up. He must be stressing in recent years. Also, he needs to speak more so he can practice more and get better at it. Kinda felt bad for him. Anyways, positive vibes for the most part. 

Clearly something went down with him and Bruce. Snyder thanked Callahan but made no mention of Bruce yet emphasized “culture change”.

Yeah I noticed that. I commented on the Press release that there were no generic platitudes thanking Bruce for his efforts or wishing him all the best in the future etc. Between the video of the departure at Dallas, the press release and Snyder's speech yesterday it is pretty clear that they won't be playing putt putt anytime soon.

3 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

So when's the demolition of Redskins Park scheduled for? :)

No way Ron Ron wants to risk infection staying in there for too long.  Time for major renovations, at least. Cant be straight faced about a good culture when you've got to walk into that dump that probably gives off the aura of a 40 year old bowling alley in the middle of South Dakota

Yeah, I've heard more than a few times over the years that that place is a dump.....

Yanno, I have been as hard as anybody on TheDan over the years (and deservedly so IMO) so it is difficult for me to say this but.......... I gotta give him some credit here. He showed, opened the presser, didn't do anything beyond making a statement and turning it over to RR. He looked haggard, and tbh I'm glad to see it, he ought to be. If he showed up tanned and smiling I'd be pissed after the clownshow this franchise has been. His overwhelming affect seems to be a guy with raging insecurities, money that no one feels he "earned", a position as owner that no one feels he deserves or knows what to do with and the screaming mob at the gate with torches and pitchforks year after year. The whole tough boss-call me MR Snyder-kill the messenger schtick that he has been running for years ain't gettin it, and as we all know it has only served to worsen a bad situation. He doesn't just want to win, HE wants to win, HE wants to hoist a Lombardi, HE wants the fans to love him, in a craven needy-on-steroids kinda way that every predator can sense. So for him to make this move with this coach in this way sure feels like some kind of surrender, a surrender of ego, a last gasp desperate cry for help from someone that knows that cannot save themself. Everybody has been playing the "Neener neener neener Dan!" game here for years but he plays out very typical psychological symptoms and has been his own worst enemy longer than we've known him. I listened to Rivera's presser yesterday, and as much as he spoke about teaching and coaching young players to be better men I am hoping he can salve some of Snyder's issues and lead him along that same path. Ron doesn't strike me as a bull****ter or schmoozer, when he says they spent hours upon hours delving into every aspect of the franchise, I believe him. They HAD to have touched on Dan's effect and management style (since that is one of the core reasons why the Skins have sucked like a MILF at a frat party), and Ron is a guy that talks in straight lines, HAD to have addressed it. So maybe, just maybe Dan is getting the point? I know it's hard to hope, trust me, I am NOT one of homer/Pollyanna/"its gonna be alright" types, there are tough days ahead for this team but the road back starts like this.

7 hours ago, dyst said:

Yeah, Dan looked bad.  Looked uber nervous, uncomfortable with huge bags under his eyes,...the "joke" at the beginning was just awful, not funny.  He barely speaks in public, is as awkward a dude as there is and he's going to lead off the presser with a ****ty, inside joke?  Did his advisors suggest doing it?  Just embarrassing,...

I'm sure he's stressed, and considering the results of his 20 year rein it's not surprising.  But unlike you I don't feel bad for him, not one bit.  The current condition of the franchise (including the overall record) is of his own making.  He's been involved in the football side the whole way and from what was said in the presser yesterday he intends to keep it that way on some level.  Lovely.

Pressers after hirings don't really mean much -- most new coaching hires say good/and or/all the right things at the initial presser.  Ron seems like a good dude and is obviously a good coach.  I understand most fans are excited, but there have been many good coaches that have come through the doors in Ashburn.  I feel like I've seen this movie before so, I'm not gonna waste my energy on being "excited" just yet.  Ron's got a lot of work ahead of him and I wish him and his staff luck because he's gonna need a good amount of it.

Archived