Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome To The Redskins: Ron Rivera, Head Coach

zCommander

I was pretty open minded about Rivera. The more I read up on him, the more excited I get. Having a head coach with the connections and clout to bring Del Rio to DC? That's really damn exciting. Can you imagine Gruden picking up the phone to Del Rio? Or what the response would have been?

Rivera, Del Rio, Chase Young, Reuben Foster and the rest of our Defense with some actual coaching and scheme to work with? Look out.

3 minutes ago, illone said:

When will synder learn?

It's not a bad hire, but i dont trust his process of hiring football people.  In other words Rivera is a good coach, but why hire him and then hire a GM?

We haven't fired Callahan either :P

Still if the ones that are gonna be GM and TP are Kyle Smith and Schaeffer, it's really no big deal as they probably were already involved in hiring Riveira.

@ProFootballTalk

Matt Rhule says his “plan” is to stay at Baylor (and yet he hasn’t declined interview offers except for Cleveland’s)

Sooo...if I read it right, Cleveland was interested in Rivera...didn't meet with them, though, is supposed to sign with the Skins instead.

And now Rhule apparently hasn't turned down any NFL interviews--except with Cleveland.

Does this mean we are, for the moment, still allowed to laugh at the Browns? lol...

I think it's dumb that GM contracts start and end at the draft. It should be at seasons end.  Football is over for everyone by Feb 1st, and everyone can still review all game tapes they want. So, we cannot or should not hire anyone until after the draft, because that is when contracts start.

If we do hire someone, do we need to pay them retro pay back to April 2019. 

All that said RR is probably a better GM than Allen, so there is that.

I've given Dan plenty of flak over the years when he screwed up, so I'll give him props now when he's doing the right things.

Rivera is a perfect hire for this franchise at this particular time. Plenty of other ways things could go wrong, but I don't think the HC will be one of them.

I'm on record here as wanting an up and coming coordinator for the job, but it may be that this organization needs a more established leader after so many years of dysfunction.

Ron probably has a list of FO people he wants to work with, and I suspect that part will evolve soon.

11 minutes ago, illone said:

When will synder learn?

It's not a bad hire, but i dont trust his process of hiring football people.  In other words Rivera is a good coach, but why hire him and then hire a GM?

Cleveland hired a GM and that GM hired a coach. The coach was fired after a year.

4 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I think it's dumb that GM contracts start and end at the draft. It should be at seasons end.  Football is over for everyone by Feb 1st, and everyone can still review all game tapes they want. So, we cannot or should not hire anyone until after the draft, because that is when contracts start.

All that said RR is probably a better GM than Allen, so there is that.

The draft evaluation process runs through the college season. The pro personnel portfolios are put into place during the season. It makes perfect sense in my opinion :)

56 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

So basically the difference is we have some better players and more cap space?  I mean, thats positive, I just wonder if anything is actually really different from what failed the first time.  if Shanahan had 10 million more in cap space each year would that have been the difference between failure and competing for superbowls?

I was one of the few that thought Shanny could have delivered. Dan screwed that pooch with the RG3 Trade taking resources Shanny could have used and empowered RG3's ego. Was Shanahan a boy scout...no..but he could have coached a few years and turned the reigns over to his son who was the Big Fish we lost.

So I blame Dan for Shanny's demise 1000%. i will remember Haynesworth's conditioning wind sprints till the day I die...

22 minutes ago, illone said:

When will synder learn?

I'll take a stab at this. If Synder did not act quickly, Rivera would not be available for long. He can take his time to hire a good GM.

13 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

No, it is our employee, and we are writing up the contract.  We can determine whatever start date we want.  There isn't a league template that mandates the term starts after the draft.

Scouting for the draft doesn't begin now, it has been going strong for months throughout the college season.  Teams traditionally want to see the process through, then make a determination after the draft as to whether changes need to be made.  Especially in our case, where our recent drafts have been pretty good, there is no reason to disrupt their scouting work now.

28 minutes ago, illone said:

When will synder learn?

Because Rivera has said himself that he doesn't want to be in charge of all personnel. He just wants control over the guys he'll be putting on the field on Sundays and where he'll put them. He wants a quality GM there to make the final decisions in the draft, etc. Obviously he'd have plenty of input and they'd work together but at the end of the day that would be up to the GM. That quote has been put up in these threads like 500 times so far. 

17 minutes ago, #HTTR said:

Cleveland hired a GM and that GM hired a coach. The coach was fired after a year.

Speaking of which lol...

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

GM John Dorsey has a meeting today with owner Jimmy Haslam and his job status appears to be in serious doubt, sources tell me and

@MikeGarafolo. Everything is under evaluation after a disappointing season and that includes the GM.

Browns starting a complete rebuild again for the......8th time in a row now? I mean...I know it's kinda sucked to be Skins fans for a while now, but we can always say at least we're not the Browns. Coaches are now accepting interview requests from basically any team BUT the Browns as well. Ouch.  :ols:

11 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

The GM is getting fired soon too.

Exactly. I feel like a lot of the “we should hire a GM first” crowd are working under an old paradigm. Is it preferable? Perhaps. However, I don’t think it’s 100% effective; especially if you’re hiring a quality head coach and leader like Rivera.

Archived