Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

22 minutes ago, LetsBCooley said:

I'm so mixed on these trades of Young/Sweat. I kind of understand the expense to keep them after this season, but Jack@ss Del Rio and his D system need to go first! Even if we drafted the #1 pick in the draft, being a position on the D-side, Jack@ss would still screw it up!

There is 0 chance Del Rio is here next season. It's not even a remote possibility. 

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 2

I agree with this trade because Chase was underwhelming but it's sad because I think Chase will be a force with the Niners and a terror to Washington every time they play. I know he was a bust here but I think the Niners will know how to use him. But had to be done, I'm happy with the large number of draft picks coming in.

1 hour ago, Skins24 said:

There is 0 chance Del Rio is here next season. It's not even a remote possibility. 

Honestly, he should’ve been fired long ago. I don’t know why we let him hang around, him being the very obvious ****ing moron that he is. When you let somebody that you know is a complete ****ing dip**** be in charge of your defense, don’t be surprised when they are ranked 31st out of 32 despite the fact that you’ve shot your wad allocating resources to that side of the ball.

**** that mother****er.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

We got a 3rd round pick for C Young. F our Front Office is incompetent. Rivera is good as gone. We traded Trent Williams to SF for peanuts and now we trade Young to SF for a F 3rd round pick. We traded both our TOP DEs and we now need to draft 2 more in the coming years. Man I'm depressed, the season hasn't been going well but at least we had 2 very good DEs of which we could keep one and trade 1. Now we have Obada and what have you as our DEs going forward.  

• Haha 1
  • Thumb down 4
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, ToaCommander said:

We got a 3rd round pick for C Young. F our Front Office is incompetent. Rivera is good as gone. We traded Trent Williams to SF for peanuts and now we trade Young to SF for a F 3rd round pick. We traded both our TOP DEs and we now need to draft 2 more in the coming years. Man I'm depressed, the season hasn't been going well but at least we had 2 very good DEs of which we could keep one and trade 1. Now we have Obada and what have you as our DEs going forward.  

As opposed to what, letting them leave and getting nothing? Overpaying to keep them?

I wanted Young to be good so badly, but he wasn't. They did it right, get something for two expiring contracts that were not great players. They saw them for who they are, not who they wished they were.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 6

What I'm curious about is who negotiated and pulled the trigger on the trades. Trading half our D-Line for draft picks is admitting the season is over. Which is the right choice, but a not a choice I'd expect from a coach and front office who have 2 months to try to prove they shouldn't be jobless.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, cboatner said:

Chase's father called into a podcast and said that Chase is 6'7", "I'm 6'9" and he almost looks me in the eye" he said. Online stats indicate his height is 6'5".....He IS tall, plays tall (high center of gravity). How tall is he really?

Obviously not Anthony Mix tall

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Shazam83 said:

If Sweat got a 2nd from the Bears (who will draft so early in the 2nd it's basically a 1st), Young should have gotten more than a 3rd from the 9ers (who will draft so late in the 3rd it's basically a 4th). That being said, I'm glad the team is trading marginal players for draft picks now because under Snyder it was trading draft picks for marginal players

How do you figure they should have gotten more?  Do you think they didn't take the best offer?  People are only worth what you can get for them.  

Young has a significant injury history and he's playing well this year, but it is also a contract year.  People are going to be worried about giving him a big contract, and if you are good team like the 49ers that almost certainly means you're near the top of the cap.  Which makes signing him long term is even that much harder.

(Looking project cap next year is $256 million.  They have $280 million on the books before Young.  They need to cut $14 million just based on who they had before they traded for Young.  And resigning Young to a big contract (which he'll want if he finishes the year healthy and playing well) means cutting that much more.  And most good teams that would be interested him at this point are in the same situation.)

People thought he was worth more aren't taking into account his injury history, his playing history beyond this year, and what he's likely going to want for salary.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

What I'm curious about is who negotiated and pulled the trigger on the trades. Trading half our D-Line for draft picks is admitting the season is over. Which is the right choice, but a not a choice I'd expect from a coach and front office who have 2 months to try to prove they shouldn't be jobless.

Here's the thing... I don't know if it is admitting that.

I think it's admitting that we weren't probably going to re-sign either of them...

But, I know some folks think I'm crazy... I think our defensive end play is going to improve and you're going to see a noticeable difference in the defense minus Sweat and Young. Moreso Young than Sweat, as Sweat had improved his contain/run discipline a good portion (though he still did it a few times this year).

Toohill, JSW and the rookies should be more than okay as schematic players... and Toohill is actually a pretty decent pass rusher. 

We also can't just rely on the front four anymore. We started to see more blitzing last week. I would hope that trend continues. Allowing Jamin Davis to pass rush is a major win for us, too. 

We'll see what happens, but I honestly think we have potential to be better now... as crazy as it sounds.

(For the record, I think 99 is going to do well in SF and Sweat will bring some semblance of a pass rush to Chicago)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Someone smarter than me, please help it make sense. We traded the #2 overall pick for essentially the same thing we would have received had we lost him to free agency. 

You don't get comp. picks for a player.  You get comp. picks based on total dollars out vs. total dollars in in terms of contracts.

We'll be pretty far under the cap at the end of the season and we might have quite a few dollars coming in in terms of contract space.  And there's no guarantee that Chase Young is going to get a big contract to off set we can spend to bring in.  What happens if he tears his ACL in the next game?   Even if stays healthy what if he just sort of checks out and plays pretty lackadaisical?  

This gives you flexibility to sign who you want for what works for you under the cap without worrying about comp. picks and locks you into a certain value for sure vs. playing out the rest of year hoping he stays healthy and keeps playing pretty well.

And if we want him at the end of the year, there is a pretty good chance we'll actually be able to sign him as FA.  There's no lock that he's going to sign a long term contract with the 49ers before FA opens.  You might get a 3rd pick for essentially giving up as a rental if the FO really values him.

(And given the 49ers cap situation, I'd say it is actually pretty unlikely they sign him to a big long term contract.)

Edited by PeterMP

50 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

This says it all about Ron and the office, I had to laugh.  A+ anyway on trades.

Edited by skinsfan66