Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

He would of had 3 yesterday, but a boneheaded Davis play took it away.

Dudes a monster.

He has 5 sacks, not 6, but the rest of that is exactly how I see it. 

Chase has twice as many sacks as Nick Bosa this year, and the same number as Micah Parsons. 

He for sure is a top 10 pass rusher in the league and he’s 24.5 years old and may still get better coming back from that injury. No, he doesn’t look like the HOF player we all expected. But he is a real impact player and we don’t have a lot of those. 

want to try our luck trying to draft another top 10 pass rusher in the league with a pick outside the top 10?

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Given the choice I'd also prefer to have Chase in the fold moving forward.

Getting him on a LTD would be one of my priorities in the early offseason for a new regime and if not that a tag.

Maybe a new staff could look at trying to lure Larry Johnson from Ohio State to be a D-line coach plus sweetener. That would have the potential to lure a couple of people around the league on top of swaying Young.

3 minutes ago, Conn said:

Unrealistic for really any prospect but this is what people dreamed of for Young:

He's easily the standard for the best DE in the league. I think Chase can be that, because he's solid against the run, too. Sweat is like a lite version of that too. I'd really like to keep both and see what a real DC could do with this unit.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

He's easily the standard for the best DE in the league. I think Chase can be that, because he's solid against the run, too. Sweat is like a lite version of that too. I'd really like to keep both and see what a real DC could do with this unit.

We've got 90 million in cap space next year. We have five good players on the entire team, two of which are Chase and Montez.  We aren't going to pay a QB any time soon.  There is no reason not to bring both back on long term deals.  Ron waited until the last minute to get them signed and he's going to get fired before they enter negotiations in earnest.  It was a mistake brought on by his rigid desire to make players come off a big season before getting big extensions.  The next guys need to just go ahead and get these extensions done immediately so that they can get the real work of their off-season underway.

People ****ing about resource allocation due to cap dollars spent on homegrown stud DLs are the same people who will **** if we blow a ton of money on overpriced free agents from other teams.  They will also be the ones complaining when we have to spend a first round pick on a DE to upgrade the dog **** JAG we're forced to play when Chase or Montez walk.  The ****tiest resource allocation of all is endlessly churning high picks on edges because you keep losing your hits when it's second contract time.  Good teams keep their best players no matter what positions they play.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I'm kind of with you. I think with a more aggressive DC who is willing to supplement the front 4 with more blitzes, these guys can really go off. Ultimately, Chase is proving that he is worthy of a top 5-10 LTD now. The issue is if Montez wants that too - I think of him as more top 20.

37 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

We've got 90 million in cap space next year. We have five good players on the entire team, two of which are Chase and Montez.  We aren't going to pay a QB any time soon.  There is no reason not to bring both back on long term deals.  Ron waited until the last minute to get them signed and he's going to get fired before they enter negotiations in earnest.  It was a mistake brought on by his rigid desire to make players come off a big season before getting big extensions.  The next guys need to just go ahead and get these extensions done immediately so that they can get the real work of their off-season underway.

People ****ing about resource allocation due to cap dollars spent on homegrown stud DLs are the same people who will **** if we blow a ton of money on overpriced free agents from other teams.  They will also be the ones complaining when we have to spend a first round pick on a DE to upgrade the dog **** JAG we're forced to play when Chase or Montez walk.  The ****tiest resource allocation of all is endlessly churning high picks on edges because you keep losing your hits when it's second contract time.  Good teams keep their best players no matter what positions they play.

Yes there is something to this. When I look ahead at pending FAs, there aren't many that i want to go pay and spend the $ on. I ultimately think we need to solve our OT, TE and LB needs through the draft

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-50-nfl-free-agents-in-2024-tee-higgins-headlines-deep-receiver-crop-pass-rus

• Like 2

4 hours ago, method man said:

I'm kind of with you. I think with a more aggressive DC who is willing to supplement the front 4 with more blitzes, these guys can really go off. Ultimately, Chase is proving that he is worthy of a top 5-10 LTD now. The issue is if Montez wants that too - I think of him as more top 20.

Yes there is something to this. When I look ahead at pending FAs, there aren't many that i want to go pay and spend the $ on. I ultimately think we need to solve our OT, TE and LB needs through the draft

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-50-nfl-free-agents-in-2024-tee-higgins-headlines-deep-receiver-crop-pass-rus

Here’s the funny part of Steve’s rant…

Sweat COULD say, “nah, I’m gone.”

Now we lost him for nothing. This is what we mean by resource allocation. How we let these two get into contract years at the same time is beyond me. 

If they don’t trade either of them then I hope that means the front office is positive both will re-sign. Or at least one will and we can hold the other hostage.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Here’s the funny part of Steve’s rant…

Sweat COULD say, “nah, I’m gone.”

Now we lost him for nothing. This is what we mean by resource allocation. How we let these two get into contract years at the same time is beyond me. 

If they don’t trade either of them then I hope that means the front office is positive both will re-sign. Or at least one will and we can hold the other hostage.

because Chase could have played as poorly this year as he did in his brief play last year.. 

19 minutes ago, MrJL said:

because Chase could have played as poorly this year as he did in his brief play last year.. 

Then you are out 17 million for one year when you have the second most cap space in the league.  Big deal.  That's half the AAV he could earn on the open market after a big season.  Presumably the people in the building with Chase know him well enough to not have to utterly speculate on where his ability level is at heading into this season.  Presumably they had a plan for building around him when they drafted him #2 overall, and aren't just shooting from the hip on this roster build.

Not picking up Chase's fifth year was a massively bigger risk than just picking it up, and the upside for doing so was what?  Every single time they've told their best players to go "prove yourself" the FO has been burned.  Trent said **** off, Scherff ended up walking, Daron ended up adding tens of millions of dollars to his price tag, and Chase has too AND they put the next FO in a bind by having to work out his and Montez's extensions at the same time even though Montez was drafted a year earlier.  I don't think people realize that Ron is essentially betting against his players in the way he operates, and it's just kind of a ****ty way of handling this business.  Nevermind that it's just a really contentious way of beginning difficult contract negotiations, it's also a completely short term view of how to build your team.  And it's also a standard that is impossible to uphold across the board and leads to hypocrisy.  Can Ron explain to me why Scherff and Trent and Daron and Chase all had to prove themselves with a big season before getting expensive contracts but Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, and Kendall Fuller didn't?  Those other guys had proven themselves more than our best home grown players had?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Then you are out 17 million for one year when you have the second most cap space in the league.  Big deal.  That's half the AAV he could earn on the open market after a big season.  Presumably the people in the building with Chase know him well enough to not have to utterly speculate on where his ability level is at heading into this season.  Presumably they had a plan for building around him when they drafted him #2 overall, and aren't just shooting from the hip on this roster build.

Not picking up Chase's fifth year was a massively bigger risk than just picking it up, and the upside for doing so was what?  Every single time they've told their best players to go "prove yourself" the FO has been burned.  Trent said **** off, Scherff ended up walking, Daron ended up adding tens of millions of dollars to his price tag, and Chase has too AND they put the next FO in a bind by having to work out his and Montez's extensions at the same time even though Montez was drafted a year earlier.  I don't think people realize that Ron is essentially betting against his players in the way he operates, and it's just kind of a ****ty way of handling this business.  Nevermind that it's just a really contentious way of beginning difficult contract negotiations, it's also a completely short term view of how to build your team.  And it's also a standard that is impossible to uphold across the board and leads to hypocrisy.  Can Ron explain to me why Scherff and Trent and Daron and Chase all had to prove themselves with a big season before getting expensive contracts but Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, and Kendall Fuller didn't?  Those other guys had proven themselves more than our best home grown players had?

This take I agree with. 

I think we're a little apart on the asset management part, but this is absolutely accurate. You either exercise Chase's option or extend Sweat. Now both are FA. Now you risk either/both walking.

We can force one to stay, but not both. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, method man said:

Looks like a bunch of IDLs and aging/inconsistent DBs, RBs, and WRs.  The only guys outside of our own on that list that really interest me are Onwenu and Jaylon Johnson, but we would need to run enough man coverage in our next scheme to make Johnson worth a big contract.  It'd be nice to have someone like Ekeler in our locker room, but we're better off drafting a back than paying any of the ones on that list.

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This take I agree with. 

I think we're a little apart on the asset management part, but this is absolutely accurate. You either exercise Chase's option or extend Sweat. Now both are FA. Now you risk either/both walking.

We can force one to stay, but not both. 

Agents are smarter than our FO guys.  Without the threat of the tag, they are going to wring every dollar out of us.  Ron has walked into tough negotiations by strengthening Chase's and Montez's leverage as much as possible.

6 hours ago, method man said:

I don't think there is any illusion to the tier of player that they are. The same way Allen got paid more than Payne.

6 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I agree. We have plenty of cap dollars to keep our top FAs. Sweat, Chase and Fuller need to get resigned as soon as the season ends. Curl would be nice if he doesn't want Bates III money.

I can also see a new GM/HC wanting to clean out the roster with a couple year rebuild plan, but Chase is too special to let walk.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

I don't think there is any illusion to the tier of player that they are. The same way Allen got paid more than Payne.

I agree. We have plenty of cap dollars to keep our top FAs. Sweat, Chase and Fuller need to get resigned as soon as the season ends. Curl would be nice if he doesn't want Bates III money.

I can also see a new GM/HC wanting to clean out the roster with a couple year rebuild plan, but Chase is too special to let walk.

Again, though, I think it’s incredibly important to note that “let walk” is kind of a mislabeling. If he wants to… he will. And from a leverage perspective he, Sweat, Curl and Fuller have us by the balls.

We can’t overpay all of them to keep them. That will cripple the cap for a team under a new regime. So we have to sign them for reasonable dollars.

Yes, I know we have a lot of cap room but that’s because we are losing a lot of players. We will need operating space. So signing them is one thing, but if they all try to leverage this FO into big money we have to set a precedence that we have a dollar figure and won’t be taken advantage of. 

I hope the new FO knows what they are doing.

• Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, method man said:

That list is really old. It has Chase at 19 questioning his upside. Chris Jones is resigned.

I looked into it a while ago, T Smith Cowboys LT is probably going to be a FA because his replacement is on their roster. Also, David, Wagner, Werner may all be FAs due to age.

This roster could be turned around in one offseason and be ready to win games with competent coaches.

I'd like to keep Fuller and Curl, but they are very replaceable.  Chase and Montez are not   But if I have to choose between Chase and Montez, I'm picking Chase without hesitation.

Chase and Montez are going to have brutal open market demand. Their extensions will be tough, the most expensive deals on our team, and need to come early in the off-season.  Curl and Fuller will have much softer markets.  If we have to wait on them and they walk in free agency, I can live with that.  They're very scheme dependent players anyway.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Again, though, I think it’s incredibly important to note that “let walk” is kind of a mislabeling. If he wants to… he will. And from a leverage perspective he, Sweat, Curl and Fuller have us by the balls.

We can’t overpay all of them to keep them. That will cripple the cap for a team under a new regime. So we have to sign them for reasonable dollars.

Yes, I know we have a lot of cap room but that’s because we are losing a lot of players. We will need operating space. So signing them is one thing, but if they all try to leverage this FO into big money we have to set a precedence that we have a dollar figure and won’t be taken advantage of. 

I hope the new FO knows what they are doing.

I think all of that goes without saying. HOG is going to bring in some of the smartest money people and be able to build a roster like the Eagles do.

Obviously if they want to be OVERpaid, they won't be, but we can work out solid long term contracts with all of them that don't cripple the future.

Fuller, Sweat and Curl aren't top tier players and aren't hurting our budget.

We will not have a large contract for LT, QB or CB next year and that's huge for us.

1 minute ago, Going Commando said:

I'd like to keep Fuller and Curl, but they are very replaceable.  Chase and Montez are not   But if I have to choose between Chase and Montez, I'm picking Chase without hesitation.

Chase and Montez are going to have brutal open market demand. Their extensions will be tough, the most expensive deals on our team, and need to come early in the off-season.  Curl and Fuller will have much softer markets.  If we have to wait on them and they walk in free agency, I can live with that.  They're very scheme dependent players anyway.

While I think the Coaches have lost the locker room for the most part, I think there is still a ton of respect for Ron and JDR and our locker room is really tight. I think these guys want to win together, which kudos to Ron for that and it might help us resign the guys.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think all of that goes without saying. HOG is going to bring in some of the smartest money people and be able to build a roster like the Eagles do.

Obviously if they want to be OVERpaid, they won't be, but we can work out solid long term contracts with all of them that don't cripple the future.

We will not have a large contract for LT, QB or CB next year and that's huge for us.

I think Sweat is going to want more than you think. Fuller I think should be a fairly "easy" one. 

I think Curl is going to try to get paid despite his lack of game changing production. He is too fundamentally sound and too important for the D. 

12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

While I think the Coaches have lost the locker room for the most part, I think there is still a ton of respect for Ron and JDR and our locker room is really tight. I think these guys want to win together, which kudos to Ron for that and it might help us resign the guys.

One of the many things that the Eagles do that is smart is they usually get extensions done BEFORE all the leverage goes to the player.  Ron likes to run the script out to FA or just before.  And this team literally pays the price for it.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

One of the many things that the Eagles do that is smart is they usually get extensions done BEFORE all the leverage goes to the player.  Ron likes to run the script out to FA or just before.  And this team literally pays the price for it.

GM RonMart is a collection of idiots. Our DL may be disassembled the way he disassembled our OL and further tank this team.

We'll be sure to send him his ring though.

My hope is that the players remain hopeful because of the HOG and that captains like Terry and Allen have a tight group that wants to stay together.

We're about to go state of the art everything and it is an exciting time to be a part of the franchise. It just sucks that we can't rip this last bainaid off and move on and instead have to sit in the full diaper of a season.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

GM RonMart is a collection of idiots. Our DL may be disassembled the way he disassembled our OL and further tank this team.

We'll be sure to send him his ring though.

My hope is that the players remain hopeful because of the HOG and that captains like Terry and Allen have a tight group that wants to stay together.

We're about to go state of the art everything and it is an exciting time to be a part of the franchise. It just sucks that we can't rip this last bainaid off and move on and instead have to sit in the full diaper of a season.

Yeah guys like Terry, Jonathan Allen etc are no dopes.  I bet they are counting the days for a new regime.

Ron's comments the other day about basically how they do nothing when things aren't looking right -- no signings, no cutting, no adding people like its his badge of honor to me typfies his regime.  Ron is the opposite of Roseman.  He doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body.

He can bemoan about not having fans in the stands in his first three years but as I said this summer he's a major part of that.  He runs the most nonsexy-nothrills-no excitement operation in the NFL.  The answer to him is always on the roster already.  Or he signs three dudes in FA who weren't even in the top 100 on the standard FA list.  And some pushed back at me saying dude you really want sexy signings?  Cerrato, etc. 

Cerrato was stupid -- he was really a front for Dan.  Dan was stupid.  But even for Dan's many faults he was a bit more interesting when he was aggressive in his younger years.  But aggressive doesn't mean stupid.  Stupid means stupid.  But as I would say to the Ron defenders -- OK you don't trust him to sign a marquee player or trade for one then how about Eagles style trade assets for future picks?  Or heck trade down for future picks.  Something that shows you are going for the kill whether its now or the future.

Ron's ammo is to play it medium for the present.  That's it.  He's not aggressive about building for the future.  He's also not aggressive about pressing the gas now.  He eventually will likely see the fans check out this season at some point as I predicted and I bet Ron will be shocked about it even though he shouldn't be -- that's ALL on him.  All of it.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb down 1