Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

15 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

These 2 were not "premium pieces", they were pretty good and nothing more. The only time to trade them was now, if they waited until after the season they were not under contract.  Montez never had more than 9 sacks in a season and averaged 7.25.  Chase has 14 sacks in 34 games.  These are not premium players, they are actually very replaceable with far cheaper players, but they will be paid like they are premium players.  We should be thankful that our team will not be the one to overpay and have too much invested in a DL that has never been great.  

Typical Washington fan response, devalue players, but no one in the NFL world agrees. SF just ripped you off. This is why Washington will always be losers trying to convince themselves they are making good decisions. I thought you can't invest too much in DL, but SF and Philly both continue to? And now you have a hole on both edges- a premium position. Instead of attacking weaknesses we attack strengths. Saying your DL wasnt a strength is disingenuous. Washington is a joke franchise.

9 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Typical Washington fan response, devalue players, but no one in the NFL world agrees. SF just ripped you off. This is why Washington will always be losers tryin a hole on both edges- a premium position. Instead of attacking weaknesses we attack strengths. Saying your DL wasnt a strength is disingenuous. Washington is a joke franchise.

Weren't you the poster who claimed Dwayne Haskins would be a top 10 QB?  We even had a bet. Now you are claiming that players who averaged 7 sacks a season are premium players. SF and Philly do not have huge contracts for 4 defensive lineman, that is what Washington would have been forced to doAll.

Sorry your opinion doesn't carry a lot of weight with me.  .  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

Just now, Darrell Green Fan said:

Weren't you the poster who claimed Dwayne Haskins would be a top 10 QB?  We even had a bet. Now you are claiming that players who averaged 7 sacks a season are premium players. 

Sorry your opinion doesn't carry a lot of weight with me.  .  

I almost typed out my resume but no need. I know football very well and rooting for Haskins to succeed doesn't invalidate that. Nor does it change the fact Washington is a league chump who still get taken advantage of by organizations that know football. SF thanks you for not valuing your players. Washington will definitely not be better from these trades. You didn't even get extra picks like Giants got for Williams. 

Your logic is flawed. League wide perception of Young among people actually IN the league was pretty low. Remember we tried to trade him around draft time too, and nobody bit. And even after a fairly productive start to the season, he still only garnered a 3rd. This isn't the Texans trading prime Deandre Hopkins for a 2nd. Fans and the media think a lot more highly of Young than those actually in the know.

And yes, while our DL is/was a strength, it wasn't enough of a strength to justify paying FOUR guys. You mention the 49ers and Eagles, but the 9ers traded one of their star DTs, replaced him with a 1st round pick, and that pick has turned out to be disappointing. The Eagles watched Hargrave walk away(ironically to those same 9ers)because they couldn't justify paying another DT. If our DL was truly dominating games then I'm sure we would have found a way to pay them all, but they weren't. Neither Young nor Sweat have ever had a double digit sack season. We paid the guys who have performed in Allen and Payne and salvaged some value out of the other two. Now we can allocate those resources to building a more well rounded roster. You also don't saddle the new coach/GM with a couple DEs that he may or may not want and the headache of the franchise tag or letting them walk for nothing. Give them draft picks and more cap space to let them shape the team how they see fit.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Your logic is flawed. League wide perception of Young among people actually IN the league was pretty low. Remember we tried to trade him around draft time too, and nobody bit. And even after a fairly productive start to the season, he still only garnered a 3rd. This isn't the Texans trading prime Deandre Hopkins for a 2nd. Fans and the media think a lot more highly of Young than those actually in the know.

And yes, while our DL is/was a strength, it wasn't enough of a strength to justify paying FOUR guys. You mention the 49ers and Eagles, but the 9ers traded one of their star DTs, replaced him with a 1st round pick, and that pick has turned out to be disappointing. The Eagles watched Hargrave walk away(ironically to those same 9ers)because they couldn't justify paying another DT. If our DL was truly dominating games then I'm sure we would have found a way to pay them all, but they weren't. Neither Young nor Sweat have ever had a double digit sack season. We paid the guys who have performed in Allen and Payne and salvaged some value out of the other two. Now we can allocate those resources to building a more well rounded roster. You also don't saddle the new coach/GM with a couple DEs that he may or may not want and the headache of the franchise tag or letting them walk for nothing. Give them draft picks and more cap space to let them shape the team how they see fit.

Pretty low? I watched coverage of the trade on every network and the language of "premiere, star, young promising edge rusher" was across the board. Washington is just trying to convince themselves they are rebuilding, but you didn't even trade correctly. It doesn't seem Washington understands how to negotiate. You will have to allocate those bare minimum resources to getting new edge rushers now. There's no net gain. We got 2 picks for 2 star players. 

18 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

I almost typed out my resume but no need. I know football very well and rooting for Haskins to succeed doesn't invalidate that. Nor does it change the fact Washington is a league chump who still get taken advantage of by organizations that know football. SF thanks you for not valuing your players. Washington will definitely not be better from these trades. You didn't even get extra picks like Giants got for Williams. 

I don't care about your football resume, all I have to judge you on are your posts here.  You weren't just rooting for Haskins, you were so convinced that he would be a top 10 QB that you made a bet with me.  You also argued that SF and :Philly load up on DL therefore so should Washington without understand that their cap situation is far different than Washington's.

Allen's cap hit for 2024 is $21.4 M (WFT?  His cap hit for 2023 is over $20 M)  and Payne's at $8.6M. By comparison Philly's highest cap hit for a DL in 2023 is Graham at $10, the next highest is Josh Sweat at $5.8M, in 2024 their highest paid DL has a cap hit of $9M.  Now we get to SF, their highest cap hit on a DL for 2024 is Armstead at $12M and Bosa at $11. I would argue that those 2 collectively are far better than any 2 of the 4 defensive linemen that were in Washington.   Now you are suggesting Washington pays out 2 more big contracts for defensive lineman. That would put them far above the cap hits those other 2 teams are paying out for their defensive line.  So its a poor comparison and it would be a really stupid thing to do.  

3 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Pretty low? I watched coverage of the trade on every network and the language of "premiere, star, young promising edge rusher" was across the board. Washington is just trying to convince themselves they are rebuilding, but you didn't even trade correctly. It doesn't seem Washington understands how to negotiate. You will have to allocate those bare minimum resources to getting new edge rushers now. There's no net gain. We got 2 picks for 2 star players. 

Again, those are the words from media members.

You're not a star pass rusher if you can't even reach double digit sacks in a pass happy NFL that now plays 17 games.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I don't care about your football resume, all I have to judge you on are your posts here.  You weren't just rooting for Haskins, you made a bet that he would be a top 10 QB.  You also argued that SF and :Philly load up on DL therefore so should Washington without understand that their cap situation is far different than Washington's.

Allen's cap hit for 2024 is $21.4 M (WFT?  His cap hit for 2023 is over $20 M)  and Payne's at $8.6M. By comparison Philly's highest cap hit for a DL in 2023 is Graham at $10, the next highest is Josh Sweat at $5.8M, in 2024 their highest paid DL has a cap hit of $9M.  Now we get to SF, their highest cap hit on a DL for 2024 is Armstead at $12M and Bosa at $11. I would argue that those 2 collectively are far better than any 2 of the 4 defensive linemen that were in Washington.   Now you are suggesting Washington pays out 2 more big contracts for defensive lineman. That would put them far above the cap hits those other 2 teams are paying our for their defensive line.  So its a poor comparison and it would be a really stupid thing to do.  

You are doing me how you do players. You remember when I was wrong, but how many players and draft picks have I called over the years? How much film have I diagnosed over the years? That's rhetorical because I know what I know. 

Washington will have to pay an edge FA big money or use a top pick on edge- with many holes already. You don't get to ignore edge rushers now. You have 2 more holes to fill and only 2 draft picks to do it. Congratulations.

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Again, those are the words from media members.

You're not a star pass rusher if you can't even reach double digit sacks in a pass happy NFL that now plays 17 games.

This is why Washington gets worked. They are both on pace to do that this year. You will continue to be the farm team for real NFL teams. Williams got NY a 2 and 5. A DT almost got as much as 2 edge rushers. Same Ole Washington. The lovable loser of the league. 

10 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

You are doing me how you do players. You remember when I was wrong, but how many players and draft picks have I called over the years? How much film have I diagnosed over the years? That's rhetorical because I know what I know. 

Washington will have to pay an edge FA big money or use a top pick on edge- with many holes already. You don't get to ignore edge rushers now. You have 2 more holes to fill and only 2 draft picks to do it. Congratulations.

Again they have over $28 million cap hits for 2024 on 2 DL. Are you suggesting they tie up another $20M+ and now have close to $50M in cap space on 4 player who collectively have shown they just are not even close to great?   Are you suggesting these pundits on  TV know more than the market?   The market showed what they were worth, it's just that simple.  

And they are not even close to premium players, I still can't believe you posted that.  .  

Williams is a better player than Sweat and Young. And I'm not sure I'd take Seattle's 2024 2nd(they're a legit playoff contender so that'll be much lower in the 2nd) and 2025 5th(which equates to a 2024 6th) over Chicago's 2024 2nd, which is going to be close to a 1st rounder.

• Like 1

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Williams is a better player than Sweat and Young. And I'm not sure I'd take Seattle's 2024 2nd(they're a legit playoff contender so that'll be much lower in the 2nd) and 2025 5th(which equates to a 2024 6th) over Chicago's 2024 2nd, which is going to be close to a 1st rounder.

If you had told me they would get a high 2nd and an end of the round 3rd for Payne and Young I think most of us would have been happy with that.  They were in a bad spot, they simply could not sign both and they didn't want to wait until 2024 to get the comp picks.

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Again they have over $28 million cap hits for 2024 on 2 DL. Are you suggesting they tie up another $20M+ and now have close to $50M in cap space on 4 player who collectively have shown they just are not even close to great?   Are you suggesting these pundits on  TV know more than the market?   The market showed what they were worth, it's just that simple.  

And they are not even close to premium players, I still can't believe you posted that which is why I struggle to buy your football knowledge.  .  

The personal football knowledge attacks are going to get ignored. You are trying too hard to argue. I stated my opinion and you stated yours. If the 2nd and 3rd round pick tu4n Washington around and they become winners,  you'll be right. If Washington continues as league chump, I'll be right. You are so focused on attacking my opinion that you haven't understood it. Even if you sell assets, you sell high. We sold Chase for essentially a 4th round pick AFTER making a decent deal for Sweat. You now have a huge hole on both edges. Good luck making the team better this way.

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Williams is better this year? 

15 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

The personal football knowledge attacks are going to get ignored. You are trying too hard to argue. I stated my opinion and you stated yours. If the 2nd and 3rd round pick tu4n Washington around and they become winners,  you'll be right. If Washington continues as league chump, I'll be right. You are so focused on attacking my opinion that you haven't understood it. Even if you sell assets, you sell high. We sold Chase for essentially a 4th round pick AFTER making a decent deal for Sweat. You now have a huge hole on both edges. Good luck making the team better this way.

Yeah I went back and deleted the football knowledge part but you had already seen it, I don't mean to attack you and I apologize for that.

I understood your position just fine. I just pointed out, with actual figures and facts, why that opinion is wrong.  How the team goes moving forward won't change that. You can't put over $50 million in cap space into 4 defensive lineman who have shown collectively that they just aren't worth that sort of investment. Are you prepared to argue that they are?  Just how were they to "sell high" on Chase?  The market always has the last word, the time to trade him was now or never and the other teams knew this.  There is also a pretty strong opinion among league GMs (not Collin Coward types) that Chase Young ain't all that good.  

30 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah I went back and deleted the football knowledge part but you had already seen it, I don't mean to attack you and I apologize for that.

I understood your position just fine. I just pointed out, with actual figures and facts, why that opinion is wrong.  How the team goes moving forward won't change that. You can't put over $50 million in cap space into 4 defensive lineman who have shown collectively that they just aren't worth that sort of investment. Are you prepared to argue that they are?  Just how were they to "sell high" on Chase?  The market always has the last word, the time to trade him was now or never and the other teams knew this.  There is also a pretty strong opinion among league GMs (not Collin Coward types) that Chase Young ain't all that good.  

League GMs say that to Washington because you are naive enough to buy it. SF isn't trading for Toohill. 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

If Washington DTs had Williams stats, you would call them busts. Calling him better than Sweat and Young at his age and lack of productivity is interesting. Washington will forever be the chump smart teams can abuse.

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Watch Insiders on NFL Network. They just said GMs around the league were surprised we gave away Chase for a 3rd after getting a 2nd for Sweat. The only time our players aren't valued is at the negotiating table. Harris shows the first sign he gets carried away to make splash decisions. Washington better get a GM who can make decisions without Harris interfering. Sounds familiar. 

15 hours ago, IrepDC said:

Somehow Washington believes devaluing their own good players and creating new holes on the roster is rebuilding. Even the Madden video game would have gotten better value for their players. Trading away premiere pieces without a GM in place tells me all I need to know about Harris. Washington is still the chump of the NFL. Fans saying Washington invested too much in the DL while the top 2 teams in the NFC continue investing in their DL in our faces is peak cluelessness. Why fix weaknesses when you can "fix" strengths? If you don't win games, blame the strength of your team for not compensating. Creating more weaknesses on your roster is rebuilding! Even though that's exactly how the Washington OL fell apart, they should do it again with the DL! Do I have it right? Washington has zero idea how to rebuild correctly and this is just another embarrassing example. Worst organization in football. 

Gotta admit you have guts coming to blurt your garbage on another tems board when your own team is a clown show. What DC did is EXACTLY what a rebuilding franchise should do. Get picks for a player you arrent going to resign in 10 weeks anyways. Tell us all about how well the Packers have built there curent team. Nah. we will follow the Eagles and Lions way of building. A Lions team that is going to dominate yours for a decade by the way. Because they built exactly like this.

14 hours ago, TheItalianStallion said:

Disappointed that this is how it turned out after 2020, but I'm inclined to agree with these trades. Our DTs are better than our DEs, and the backups have looked pretty good when they've played.

The backups have looked as good or better than the the "superstars" if we are being honest.

2 hours ago, IrepDC said:

Typical Washington fan response, devalue players, but no one in the NFL world agrees. SF just ripped you off. This is why Washington will always be losers trying to convince themselves they are making good decisions. I thought you can't invest too much in DL, but SF and Philly both continue to? And now you have a hole on both edges- a premium position. Instead of attacking weaknesses we attack strengths. Saying your DL wasnt a strength is disingenuous. Washington is a joke franchise.

Philly built their team exactly by doing what we just did.

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Gotta admit you have guts coming to blurt your garbage on another tems board when your own team is a clown show. What DC did is EXACTLY what a rebuilding franchise should do. Get picks for a player you arrent going to resign in 10 weeks anyways. Tell us all about how well the Packers have built there curent team. Nah. we will follow the Eagles and Lions way of building. A Lions team that is going to dominate yours for a decade by the way. Because they built exactly like this.

The backups have looked as good or better than the the "superstars" if we are being honest.

Packers team building is impeccable. We can break that down spot for spot. 

Lions sold Stafford high and got big return on their own draft picks. 

You sold BOTH your edge rushers for 2 picks that aren't even high enough to draft replacement edges. You got worked.

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Lmao GIFs | GIFDB.com

One of the youngest teams in the league. Good depth and youth on both lines. A rotation of edge rushers. Depth and experience at LB. One of the deepest secondaries in the league even after trading Rasul Douglas for a higher pick than you got for Chase Young. Are you kidding? Thunder and lightning backfield. Young and explosive WR room. Packers are letting Love develop or, if need be, a great team to develop a QB. You're laughing from what the Commanders have done?

Bro. You are 2-5 and have lost to Atlanta, the raiders, broncos and beat the Saints by ONE point. Tell me all about that impeccable roster building. We picked a better QB in the 5th round than you have starting right now after trading a 1st ballot HOF QB because he was the answer....Imepccable....🤡

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, IrepDC said:

Washington will have to pay an edge FA big money or use a top pick on edge- with many holes already. You don't get to ignore edge rushers now.

Which is exactly where they'd be if they hadn't traded them.  They were going to have resign them as FAs or let them walk and draft replacements.

You're acting like these two guys are signed to long(er) term contracts.  Which isn't the case.  They likely will have the potential to resign one of both of them at the end of the season if they want, just like they would have if they would have kept them.

In terms of what they have to do to get an edge rusher going forward hasn't changed, except now they have an additional 2nd and 3rd round to help do that.

Edited by PeterMP