Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

14 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

If teams were reversed, Packers would have gotten more value for Young. Point being Commanders devalue everything they touch.

You're still trying to debate something that is unquantifiable. You can't prove a negative. Ultimately, Douglas was the better, more valuable player and he has proven that more than Chase.

26 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

I'm really not understanding why you all are acting like your defense wasn't worse without Young, but whatever. Where is the Toohill thread? Smith-Williams? Henry? He outperformed them ALL combined, and he was a rotational player for San Fran. And I know that's an insult to some fans, but good teams use pass rushers in rotation. 

I'm not reading all that. You want to debate me. I don't want to debate you. You aren't saying anything meaningful. Enjoy your off-season. Go Pack! Go!

If teams were reversed, Packers would have gotten more value for Young. Point being Commanders devalue everything they touch.

You claim I had not listened to your argument, when I did and addressed it, and now you can't even bother to read mine?  I should have never given you a pass on our Dwayne Haskins bet had I know you would act like such a coward.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

6 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

You're still trying to debate something that is unquantifiable. You can't prove a negative. Ultimately, Douglas was the better, more valuable player and he has proven that more than Chase.

Commanders got a 3rd for the best LT in football. They got one 2nd for Sweat. I don't know if you watch other teams, but no one gives up assets like this for such little value. The Commanders should have waited for Peters hiringbefore trading assets because once again they didn't get proper return. I don't care to list examples, but you can lookup recent LT and DE trades for yourself.

You guys think the trades were good. Great. I think Commanders got suckered. Debating me in circles is pointless at this point, especially when you have the worst edges in the NFL now.

Just now, Darrell Green Fan said:

You claim I had not listened to your argument, when I did and addressed it, and now you can't even bother read mine?  I should have never given you a pass on our Dwayne Haskins bet had I know you would act like such a coward.  

You want me to be in my feelings like you are, but I'm not. Your slick comments make me laugh. You barely understand the game of football. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Commanders got a 3rd for the best LT in football. They got one 2nd for Sweat. I don't know if you watch other teams, but no one gives up assets like this for such little value. The Commanders should have waited for Peters hiringbefore trading assets because once again they didn't get proper return. I don't care to list examples, but you can lookup recent LT and DE trades for yourself.

You guys think the trades were good. Great. I think Commanders got suckered. Debating me in circles is pointless at this point, especially when you have the worst edges in the NFL now.

I'm talking about the role reversal, but I think you know that. You can't debate something that didn't happen. They couldn't wait to trade these guys because of the trade deadline itself, but I think you also know that. What could Peters have done? He wouldn't have the time to make trades before the beginning of Free Agency.

People have said over and over how bad Ron was with personnel. Everyone was unhappy with the Williams trade, so what's the point with even bringing that up? We're talking Chase and Montez. No one is thrilled with letting Montez go, but I really think you're overestimating the value of Chase. 

Edited by ntotoro

1 minute ago, ntotoro said:

I'm talking about the role reversal, but I think you know that. You can't debate something that didn't happen. They couldn't wait to trade these guys because of the trade deadline itself, but I think you also know that. What could Peters have done? He wouldn't have the time to make trades before the beginning of Free Agency.

I can use the Packers recent history and Commanders recent history to make a projection. You are allowed to make trades after the season ends. Trades in the off-season are common. You all seem to rationalize every dumb decision by the Commanders by making it seem like the only option.

6 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

I can use the Packers recent history and Commanders recent history to make a projection. You are allowed to make trades after the season ends. Trades in the off-season are common. You all seem to rationalize every dumb decision by the Commanders by making it seem like the only option.

Trying to debate the subjunctive is impossible. You can only tell when the roles are identical, which they're not.

Even with the limited time, there's no way to ascertain which situation would have gotten better results. The team couldn't have all that money tied up in the DL and is going to rebuild. Teams give up more during the season because they think they're a player or two away from something or get desperate with injuries. There isn't that urgency in the offseason. I really thing you're over-valuing Chase, particularly. He's a rental player at this point, just an ok one at that. He's a body. 

Edited by ntotoro

On 1/15/2024 at 8:18 AM, Darrell Green Fan said:

I have listened to every word, all you have been talking about is the hole these trades have created which nobody is arguing. I have acknowledged your point and agreed that it left a hole.  I have also tried too explain why you are not looking at the bigger picture, you see you need to look at everything when evaluating the trades and the cap ramifications is a huge part of that.  The part you continue to ignore.   So I have carefully and painfully tried to explain this to you as you lecture us about your superior football knowledge. Your response was they have a lot of cap space so it was doable, which of course totally ignores how we have already seen collectively they just aren't worth that kind of cap commitment and how that caps space could not be better utilized elsewhere on the roster..

Sweat and Payne have a combined cap hit of $43 million for 2024.  Sweat just signed an extension that pays $25 million a year so that is what it would have cost Washington to retain him.  His cap hit is $25 million. So you already have $68 million tied into those 3. Say Chase's deal is $15 million a year, if he is as valuable as you claim that's probably low. 

So that leaves you with a cap hit of $83 million for 4 players who have proven that they are just not a great DL.  Chase has now proven in SF that without a doubt he is a pass rusher who can't get to the QB and I'm glad it's not my team that will be overpaying him.  OK so it's not 100 million but 83 million is far too much for their production.  So it would have been stupid to retain them at that cost  or to let them walk for nothing.

It's really very simple.  

Check the FA thread right now and see how many people are listing DE as a top get. You think that will be cheap? You think a FA is giving a discount to come here? This is why I didn't want to read your post. You'll need to spend that money on replacements anyway. Now you can stop whining and nagging me. 

2 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

Trying to debate the subjunctive is impossible. You can only tell when the roles are identical, which they're not.

Even with the limited time, there's no way to ascertain which situation would have gotten better results. The team couldn't have all that money tied up in the DL and is going to rebuild. Teams give up more during the season because they think they're a player or two away from something or get desperate with injuries. There isn't that urgency in the offseason. I really thing you're over-valuing Chase, particularly. He's a rental player at this point, just an ok one at that. He's a body. 

Young is a body. Toohill is what? Smith-Williams is what? Henry? Teams were not abusing Young like the ladder, but please go on. 

3 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Young is a body. Toohill is what? Smith-Williams is what? Henry? Teams were not abusing Young like the ladder, but please go on. 

Yes, young is a body. It has no bearing on any other player. He's a #2 overall pick who can't even get half a dozen sacks a year and is easy to get in a semi-circle in the run game.

Just now, ntotoro said:

Yes, young is a body. It has no bearing on any other player. He's a #2 overall pick who can't even get half a dozen sacks a year and is easy to get in a semi-circle in the run game.

There's a reason you ignored the second half of my question. I'm not the one bumping this thread. Yall claim Young is a body but you watch him more than your own team. Let him be a bum in peace. Worry about your own team. Nothing you say will change my opinion about the Commanders so we can agree to disagree. 

11 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

There's a reason you ignored the second half of my question. I'm not the one bumping this thread. Yall claim Young is a body but you watch him more than your own team. Let him be a bum in peace. Worry about your own team. Nothing you say will change my opinion about the Commanders so we can agree to disagree. 

I wasn't ignoring it, I just don't care how the other guys perform. Their performance relative to his isn't a factor and the whole D wasn't quantifiably better with him. The team is rebuilding, has a bunch of draft picks and $90m in cap, everyone knew the staff was dead men walking, so there's no point getting hung up about the in-season performance at that point. People were rooting for the team to lose. Chase being a JAG doesn't make those guys any better or worse. 

• Thumb up 1

On 1/16/2024 at 10:27 AM, IrepDC said:

Check the FA thread right now and see how many people are listing DE as a top get. You think that will be cheap? You think a FA is giving a discount to come here? This is why I didn't want to read your post. You'll need to spend that money on replacements anyway. Now you can stop whining and nagging me. 

The only time we heard the name Chase Young on Sunday is when he got cleared out by a no name rookie WIDE RECEIVER on a huge run.   Teams think so little of Young's ability to set the edge that they felt confident in matching up a random wide receiver.  And they were right.  

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Young went from being blocked by TEs 1 on 1 to being blocked by WRs. Good grief what a bum he is now.

It is actually stunning that some actually think we made a mistake in trading this clown.  He had every opportunity to show what he can do in a great situation in SF.  He has now played 10 games and has 13 tackles and 2.5 sacks.  For that we were supposed to pay the man. LOL.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

It is actually stunning that some actually think we made a mistake in trading this clown.  He had every opportunity to show what he can do in a great situation in SF.  He has now played 10 games and has 13 tackles and 2.5 sacks.  For that we were supposed to pay the man. LOL.  

Yeah I admit I'll take an L on this. I wanted to keep him, heck going into the season I advocated for exercising his 5th year.

Good thing I don't run things I guess. LOL.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

The only time we heard the name Chase Young on Sunday is when he got cleared out by a no name rookie WIDE RECEIVER on a huge run.   Teams think so little of Young's ability to set the edge that they felt confident in matching up a random wide receiver.  And they were right.  

You keep bumping this thread. What is a DE's job? 

7 hours ago, IrepDC said:

To not suck.

11 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I admit I'll take an L on this. I wanted to keep him, heck going into the season I advocated for exercising his 5th year.

Good thing I don't run things I guess. LOL.

I checked out for a few years and I was still right on Young once I watched a few games. You guys need to start listening to me. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, IrepDC said:

Yeah to not suck. In Chase's case it's to get to the QB and hold the edge.  He can't get to the QB and a rookie WR prevented him from setting the edge.

I keep bumping as we get new information.  It's OK to be wrong, which you clearly are here despite your claims. The stats and tape don't lie.  If you didn't lecture me and others about your vastly superior football knowledge I may have let it go.   Niners fans have acknowledged Chase didn't work out.  Our resident Commanders hater can't do the same, 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah to not suck. In Chase's case it's to get to the QB and hold the edge.  He can't get to the QB and a rookie WR prevented him from setting the edge.

I keep bumping as we get new information.  It's OK to be wrong, which you clearly are here despite your claims. The stats and tape don't lie.  If you didn't lecture me and others about your vastly superior football knowledge I may have let it go.   Niners fans have acknowledged Chase didn't work out.  Our resident Commanders hater can't do the same, 

To not suck... I am giving you an opportunity to prove me wrong that you barely understand what you're watching. You aren't helping your case. If you want to keep bumping this thread, at least provide good discussion. Otherwise, I'll just start ignoring you.

What is a DE's job on the football field?

Do the Commanders currently have players that do those jobs better than Chase Young?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IrepDC said:

Do the Commanders currently have players that do those jobs better than Chase Young?

That's like asking whether I'd rather have gonorrhea or chlamydia. His own totals are far from adequate for his draft position and what he wants for his next contract, so it was best for a rebuilding team to take what they could get and run. Let the new FO figure it out. Even pre-injury, his sophomore season wasn't one of "Let's build a line around this guy's abilities."

He can't contain the edge (either in the run game or short passing game) and he isn't an elite pass-rusher. 

Edited by ntotoro
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, IrepDC said:

To not suck... I am giving you an opportunity to prove me wrong that you barely understand what you're watching. You aren't helping your case. If you want to keep bumping this thread, at least provide good discussion. Otherwise, I'll just start ignoring you.

Why hasn’t SF extended him? They can’t possibly be stupid enough to let him sniff free agency, can they?

4 hours ago, IrepDC said:

You are just being stubborn as you attempt to talk down to me.  We are not talking about the Commanders we are talking about Chase Young. The guy who can't get to the QB and can't set the edge. Prove me wrong, show me where Chase Young is doing "a DE's job'. What exactly is he doing?

9 hours ago, ntotoro said:

That's like asking whether I'd rather have gonorrhea or chlamydia. His own totals are far from adequate for his draft position and what he wants for his next contract, so it was best for a rebuilding team to take what they could get and run. Let the new FO figure it out. Even pre-injury, his sophomore season wasn't one of "Let's build a line around this guy's abilities."

He can't contain the edge (either in the run game or short passing game) and he isn't an elite pass-rusher. 

Bosa got hit with the same block in the same game. If you just want to operate in groupthink and make empty posts encouraging one another, leave me out of it. 

7 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

You are just being stubborn as you attempt to talk down to me.  We are not talking about the Commanders we are talking about Chase Young. The guy who can't get to the QB and can't set the edge. Prove me wrong, show me where Chase Young is doing "a DE's job'. What exactly is he doing?

You have a weird obsession with him. Since you don't want to talk actual football, because we both know you can't, I have nothing else to say. Enjoy trashing a player who is across the country playing in the NFC Championship game. A game you now hold the record for not seeing in the longest time.

7 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Why hasn’t SF extended him? They can’t possibly be stupid enough to let him sniff free agency, can they?

Because they will get the 3rd for him back that the spent. They are playing chess. I can't debate with you all because you don't even understand what's happening in the real NFL.

• Confused 1