Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

1 hour ago, tmandoug1 said:

I focused on him fo4 a bit....maybe 10 plays. He was getting stopped consistently by one guy. But it may have been a contain thing. Not sure he is worth extending though. Pay Payne.

Not suprised him coming back from injury, but should settle the debate in comparing him to some HOF players.

We should never skip over QB for players like that again when we need a QB, so many people were adamant this wouldn't have this type of conversation with him and it has and way to deep in his career now.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CarlH said:

He's just a kid. He's 23 years old in his 3rd game back from a massive knee injury. You don't work on pass rush moves while rehabbing from an injury like that. He has all off-season to get better at that. He WAS working with Von Miller some this past off-season, and I have no doubt he will seek out more guidance this year. He still has so much time to grow, mentally and physically, and he apparently has the work ethic in spades. Its very premature, in my opinion, to be talking about him this way. 

The list of excuses are all somewhat valid, but they are befitting of a project player, not a highly paid high first round pick. Yes he’s coming off an injury, but his play was plenty poor last year before the injury. At age 23, with three years NFL experience… I guess you can call him “kid“ but I would say grown man. In a world where we are crowning Sam Howell as QB1 after one game, I don’t think it’s premature at all to call Chase a disappointment. I realize he could still turn it around, which is why he still has trade value. But for me, he’s been trending down since day one so it doesn’t seem like the worst idea to cut our losses if we can. If you want to give him more time, that’s fine I get it, we might not have a choice anyway if we can’t get a solid offer—but the realities of NFL contracts and such say that decisions need to be made sooner than later. So don’t wait too long!

• Like 1

Hard to say whee his career is going. He’s probably been drilled to stay disciplined and play within the scheme. Contain the outside. I wouldn’t commit to big money on him. Not Sweat at this stage. Give Payne his money. Keep drafting mid/later round ends.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, max21 said:

He just isn’t that good, like I said his rookie year and I got **** on by everyone 

I think being definitive in a guys rookie year is too strong of a stance. Leaning one way or another makes sense but definitive statements will usually get clowned.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

I think it just sucks that we went one pick after Cincy we weren't as bad as they were. They went with the consensus #1 in Burrow and here we are 3 years later, Cincy is talking a return to the super bowl and what weapons they can put around Burrow etc and they are set for the next decade plus at that position and here we just 1 win better than CY's rookie year and nothing but questions about Chase's future and we're still trying to figure out the QB position.. So many more tough questions than answers...

And then you look at the Aiden Hutchinson did this year..But then you look at what other high drafted rushers did lately and CY destroyed them by comparison..

Edited by Playaction2Sanders

13 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's ****ing weird how much people want this guy to bust so they can bag on him. I really don't get it at all.

It's pretty ****ing lame honestly.

I think it's actually human nature. When someone is put on a pedestal everyone seems to want to knock them off. 

When our defense was playing horribly one of the big excuses was that our defensive ends were freelancing creating huge rushing lanes.

I saw the same thing you guys all saw sunday, we got very little quick pressure on dak, when we did get to him it was because eventually 4 guys will get home no matter what if the coverage is good enough.

But you know what else I saw?

There were no rushing lanes all day, no receivers running free, relentless pursuit, it was all around one of the best defensive performances of recent memory and because of that I'm willing to give Chase the benefit of the doubt that he was just playing within the system.

We all want to see him get his speed and bend back but if we play team defense like we did on Sunday I really don't care what accolades each individual player racks up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's ****ing weird how much people want this guy to bust so they can bag on him. I really don't get it at all.

Anyone that actually wants him to bust should raise their hand in the air so it can catch a bullet.

Let's not do this "critical of Taylor, you must want him to fail" type circle on nonsense.

The risk of him not being what he was billed and still needing QB was a very unpopular stance leading up to drafting him.

There's no "vindication" that comes from that when it sets the franchise back so badly, drafting that high is supposed to be rare and will continue to be long as keep hovering around .500.

It is what is, book ain't over, but we're getting close to having to make decisions on what's best for the team, whether that includes Young or not.  That's not rooting for him to fail, jus reality, imo.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 12:04 PM, woodpecker said:

The list of excuses are all somewhat valid, but they are befitting of a project player, not a highly paid high first round pick.

ACLs turn everyone into a project

15 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

The worse he is the more they can complain about not using the 2nd pick to draft the third best QB

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

It is what is, book ain't over, but we're getting close to having to make decisions on what's best for the team, whether that includes Young or not.  That's not rooting for him to fail, jus reality, imo.

It's not close at all. Guy just missed a year and a half with a major injury. He was DROTY, so his only full year he was great. 

Nobody wanted Taylor to fail, either. That's absurd. There is also a huge difference between your severely under able back up being bad playing to his limits and complaining about needing to upgrade the position and laughing about your super talented high draft pick underperforming after a serious injury. It's trashy and a weird flex. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's not close at all. Guy just missed a year and a half with a major injury. He was DROTY, so his only full year he was great. 

So we jus gonna ignore how mediocre he was looking his 2nd season before the knee injury?  It's revisionist history to blame everything that folks are concerned or calling out about Young on him getting hurt.

14 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Nobody wanted Taylor to fail, either. That's absurd. There is also a huge difference between your severely under able back up being bad playing to his limits and complaining about needing to upgrade the position and laughing about your super talented high draft pick underperforming after a serious injury. It's trashy and a weird flex. 

So it's trashy when backup DEs come in and stabilize outside run contain better then he did his 2nd year before he got hurt?

I'm not buying anyone wants Young to fail like your original claim, call it what you want, but it ain't that.

Fans have the right to be frustrated with multiple aspects of Chase Young and the context which he was drafted.  Especially after so many were so sure this wouldn't happen.  They doesn't mean they want to fail now.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 3

Nobody wants Chase to fail, you’re just grasping at straws. I’d love for him to dominate, I was expecting a superstar franchise player. He’s a great teammate and good with the run game, not a great pass rusher. Too slow to get outside and not strong enough to bull rush, he has literally no technique to his rushes. I hope he has a Payne like resurgence next year 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, max21 said:

Nobody wants Chase to fail, you’re just grasping at straws. I’d love for him to dominate, I was expecting a superstar franchise player. He’s a great teammate and good with the run game, not a great pass rusher. Too slow to get outside and not strong enough to bull rush, he has literally no technique to his rushes. I hope he has a Payne like resurgence next year 

Okay, enjoying him not being the greatest.

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Okay, enjoying him not being the greatest.

Just as long as he doesnt turn into a Bosworth. I watched the Steelers game with my wife and both teams had amazing talent on the ends. Thats what I want for Chase.....Garrett amd Watt are fun to watch. Lets hope Chase concentrates on his craft and not his image this offseason. That was kind of my beef going into year two. Get nasty and come back Rocky style. 

I have my issues with Rivera, but it's clear he is not going to rush to extend Chase and that Chase has to earn it. Based on what I've seen since the second half of his rookie year, I'd say he has a long way to go before you break the bank for him when his contract is up. Right now, Chase's future should not come in to play at all in regards to paying Payne, who has 100 percent earned a big deal.

I have no problem extending him a fifth year and letting him play.  He does need time to completely recover from his injury.  That said, I was not impressed before he got injured.

Chase has not lived up to his draft status or hype.  He definitely needs more time to demonstrate his worth.  Because of his injury he needs two more seasons of evaluation.

He needs to prove he deserves a new contract.  I hope he does well, but he needs to be evaluated straight up.

• Thumb up 1