Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera to be next Redskins HC (According to CSN Post-game Show)

skinfan2k

20 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

As far as Chase Young being "neutralized" by a double team, we have to realize that it isn't just sacks, it is the general disruption of the QB as well.  Nick Bosa only has 9 sacks but if you watch him over the course of the entire game, watch how many plays he is in on, watch how much chaos and disruption he is causing that often allows other plays easier routes to the QB.   

If Chase Young's presence and taking on double-team's causes 2-3 other D-lineman to improve their sack totals by 3-5 sacks each in 2020?  That would be considered a hell of an impact for a rookie if you ask me. 

But it won’t if we don’t improve our secondary. If a qb  knows where he is and knows how poor we are in the back end, he’ll effectively be useless.

Just concerned that after meeting since 4pm - 5pm we haven't had a Skins beat reporter just say deal between Skins and Rivera struck.  I don't care about the detail yet just that a deal has been done.  This is concerning to me.  The longer this goes on the more time another team calls his agent and get's him to think twice and fly out to meet with another team.  Skins have been there before with players and coaches.  

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

But it won’t if we don’t improve our secondary. If a qb  knows where he is and knows how poor we are in the back end, he’ll effectively be useless.

True but you do realize that by December the secondary seemed to consist 50% of guy off practice squad or signed in the middle of the week.  It's not like Chase Young will be the only change on the team between now and Week 1.

36 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Just concerned that after meeting since 4pm - 5pm we haven't had a Skins beat reporter just say deal between Skins and Rivera struck.  I don't care about the detail yet just that a deal has been done.  This is concerning to me.  The longer this goes on the more time another team calls his agent and get's him to think twice and fly out to meet with another team.  Skins have been there before with players and coaches.  

He just hasnt finished his chocolate lava cake yet.  Went back for thirds for sure.

45 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

True but you do realize that by December the secondary seemed to consist 50% of guy off practice squad or signed in the middle of the week.  It's not like Chase Young will be the only change on the team between now and Week 1.

Depending on how we do for comp picks we aren’t gonna get a ton of good value with our draft outside of our first and third picks. We absolutely need to draft a tackle with a higher pick and the free agent market is thin. I wouldn’t be opposed to bringing Breeland back but doubt he’s interested.

5 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Saw he had zero sacks yesterday in a loss in college playoffs.  Straight God mode got what, out gameplanned?

Myles Garrett, Bradley Chubb, Khalil Mack, and JJ Watt all had zero sacks in their final season bowl games. It isn't really indicative of anything. And yes, Clemson absolutely game planned for Young like crazy. They were doubling him often and utilizing a very quick passing game with Lawrence getting the ball out as fast as possible before Young could get there. And Young still nearly got to Lawrence multiple times. But having to game plan for Young affected how Clemson played. Their offense wasn't nearly as potent as it usually was. At the end of the day it was good enough, but OSU kept them from being nearly as prolific as they'd been earlier in the year. 

3 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

So double team for Payne.

double team for Allen/Ioannidis

double team for Sweat

double team for Young.

That makes 8 players to block 4 :P

Which leaves a QB, a RB and a WR. Our secondary isn't great, but we should be able to handle that no???

3 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I think you're overvaluing secondary compared to pass rushers. I'd much rather have a top shelf DL with an elite edge rusher that gets consistent pressure on the QB and decent corners than a decent DL without the elite edge rusher that sometimes gets pressure and one elite corner. There's a reason that pass rushers come in second only to QBs in salaries commanded. It's the second most valuable position on the field and teams obviously know that or they wouldn't be paying them so much. If you can disrupt the QB consistently you can disrupt everything and alter the entire game. 

Yeah, I was promised a blizzard of news! Monday came with the firing of Allen and Hess. That's a pretty torrential, but I want some hirings already darn it! I want to know the Head Coach and who he's bringing in. What the front office is gonna look like. Will they ban the sale of Coors Light at Fed Ex field? Give me something.

23 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Yeah, I was promised a blizzard of news! Monday came with the firing of Allen and Hess. That's a pretty torrential, but I want some hirings already darn it! I want to know the Head Coach and who he's bringing in. What the front office is gonna look like. Will they ban the sale of Coors Light at Fed Ex field? Give me something.

Coors is moving their offices to Chicago and basically going to separate themselves from the Rockies after being bought by Molson.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.denverpost.com/2019/10/30/molson-coors-closing-denver-headquarters-chicago/amp/

Will that work for now?

1 minute ago, Xameil said:

Coors is moving their offices to Chicago and basically going to separate themselves from the Rockies after being bought by Molson.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.denverpost.com/2019/10/30/molson-coors-closing-denver-headquarters-chicago/amp/

Will that work for now?

Man, Bruce's influence was so negative the entire corporation was forced to leave town and needed an FBI relocation program! I'm just glad Bruce isn't a fan of my fiction!!!

I've heard multiple stories of some players and assistant coaches not liking Callahan.  I recall Hoffman was one dude who said it, forgot the other one.  Hoffman said the people there did a really good job burying that narrative as it was going on. 

But here's another one.  I am guessing there is little shot Callahan is back as an assistant.  It's typically not the best idea to bring back an interim coach as an assistant anyway.  I got no issue with a coach who isn't liked by everyone -- sometimes its better to be feared than loved, etc.   I don't think Rivera is any magician but I've read multiple times that players both fear and love the dude. 

1 hour ago, Xameil said:

Will that work for now?

Noooooooo!!!!!...what and the ****?..are you serious?...no longer the rockie mountain favorites?...I am upset

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

Myles Garrett, Bradley Chubb, Khalil Mack, and JJ Watt all had zero sacks in their final season bowl games. It isn't really indicative of anything. And yes, Clemson absolutely game planned for Young like crazy. They were doubling him often and utilizing a very quick passing game with Lawrence getting the ball out as fast as possible before Young could get there. And Young still nearly got to Lawrence multiple times. But having to game plan for Young affected how Clemson played. Their offense wasn't nearly as potent as it usually was. At the end of the day it was good enough, but OSU kept them from being nearly as prolific as they'd been earlier in the year. 

My best friend and I were watching that college ball game.. not together but we were on the phone and I said I'm not seeing anything flashy from this chase dude..he assured me he was doing plenty..not really sacking the qb..but applying major pressure forcing the qb to throw the ball quick..makes sence...

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've heard multiple stories of some players and assistant coaches not liking Callahan.  I recall Hoffman was one dude who said it, forgot the other one.  Hoffman said the people there did a really good job burying that narrative as it was going on. 

But here's another one.  I am guessing there is little shot Callahan is back as an assistant.  It's typically not the best idea to bring back an interim coach as an assistant anyway.  I got no issue with a coach who isn't liked by everyone -- sometimes its better to be feared then loved, etc.   I don't think Rivera is any magician but I've read multiple times that players both fear and love the dude. 

Interesting discussion on Redskins Talk - Season Wrap up yesterday with JP, BMitch, Julie and Mitch.  JP said there was horrible communication all year between Manusky/Tomsula and Horton/Ryan and that everybody felt Rob Ryan had the best game plan every week but there was absolutely no cohesion between any of the coaches.  At least on the defensive side on the ball which makes sense given their lousy year.

25 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Noooooooo!!!!!...what and the ****?..are you serious?...no longer the rockie mountain favorites?...I am upset

The brewery will still be there...but that's it. Molson is moving away from the Rockies...sorry...it was piss water anyways

11 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Interesting discussion on Redskins Talk - Season Wrap up yesterday with JP, BMitch, Julie and Mitch.  JP said there was horrible communication all year between Manusky/Tomsula and Horton/Ryan and that everybody felt Rob Ryan had the best game plan every week but there was absolutely no cohesion between any of the coaches.  At least on the defensive side on the ball which makes sense given their lousy year.

Who the **** made that D staff? Isn't this lousy match making and not interfering? How can you have two D group's/teams on one team? 

Freaking snake pit franchise 

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

I mean to be fair many organizations take a bit after mass firings to get things settled.  Everything happening in one to two days isn’t normal.  But we ain’t normal either.

With a simple, one-paragraph statement, Redskins fans' decade-long nightmare was over.

Bruce Allen, who presided over an average of double-digit losses per season during his 10-year run, was not only removed from the football operation, but from the organization as a whole.

...Multiple GM and head coaching candidates told Snyder and his search group that they would steer clear of Washington if Allen was around. Firing him was Step 1, and it leads directly to Step 2: hiring former Carolina Panthers Ron Rivera. A deal with Rivera is expected to be formalized quickly. 

Rivera and Allen are polar opposites. Those that know him describe Rivera as warm, empathetic and caring to a fault. His office in Carolina sat right outside the locker room.

He set high standards and held players to them, but he did it through showing how much he cared.

Allen is most often described as a politician. He was cold and calculated in situations ranging from Kirk Cousins’s contract negotiations to Trent Williams' medical situation.

Friendliness with the media does not inherently mean someone is a good or bad person, nor does it mean a football coach or executive is good or bad at their job. However, interacting honestly and often with the media is part of the job and it speaks to someone's belief in transparency in a profession that is reliant on fan support.

If I sit down with Rivera tomorrow (or Thursday or whenever he is introduced), I will have sat down with him as many times as I did Allen. I’ve covered the Redskins since 2015.

Sitting down with Allen was no treat. He ducked and dodged questions in interviews of all forms, deflecting blame to anyone but himself.

Rivera is relentlessly positive and even self-deprecating. He left his final press conference in Carolina by holding up a “missed opportunities” T-shirt.

https://thefandc.radio.com/articles/opinion/ron-rivera-right-coach-redskins

My concern with this process is that Dan will revert to the Snyder of old with Bruce gone.  He will say, “I let someone else run my team and it didn’t work.  I’m taking back control.”

I’m not sold on Rivera as HC, but I’m definitely not sold on him as team builder, he’s never done it.

Who they hire as GM is paramount.  If it’s someone that can tell Snyder “No,“ they have a chance.  If it’s someone just happy to have a job, I’m not optimistic.

Fingers crossed they make some strong front office moves.

Archived