Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera to be next Redskins HC (According to CSN Post-game Show)

skinfan2k

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Saw he had zero sacks yesterday in a loss in college playoffs.  Straight God mode got what, out gameplanned?

Yes, their game plan revolved completely around Young and he still had a good day and a big impact.

You don't think having a player like that helps?

You want to draft inferior players to improve the team?

They always say a young QBs best friend is a great defense.

20 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

If Chase isn't there and it's Joe Burrow left, we commit highway robbery and get even more picks that can still help us to more wins in a season where the wins take us to the postseason. It's a win-win.

Or he could be there at 2, and they have their heart set on another player who they take. Which is the countless story of many a draft.  Even in the elite bracket inside the top 5 picks. 

You seriously can't discount any possibility in the draft. 

Hail. 

This is a dude who covers the Giants.  This isn't an isolated tweet.  NFC East fans aren't loving potentially Rivera and Chase Young being part of the 2020 Redskins.  On twitter, Giant fans were almost equally obsessed with regime change and as obsessed with Chase Young/the 2nd pick in the draft. 

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yes, their game plan revolved completely around Young and he still had a good day and a big impact.

You don't think having a player like that helps?

Sure it helps, but they lost. Where is Khalil Mack these days?  Out the playoffs.  Von Miller? Same.

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

You want to draft inferior players to improve the team?

They always say a young QBs best friend is a great defense.

I've heard it's a good run game, I've seen its keeping them off their back as much as you can.

Inferior is harsh, even if we trade down and get a LT, good chance he'll be top 10 at his position.  If we really want to see what this front office got give them more picks, Scary Terry was a third rounder, or best TEs this century were drafted in the same round. If we draft Young, our next pick wont be until the third round.

4 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Or he could be there at 2, and they have their heart set on another player who they take. Which is the countless story of many a draft.  Even in the elite bracket inside the top 5 picks. 

You seriously can't discount any possibility in the draft. 

Hail. 

This is a deepish draft that really only has 2 maaaaaybe 3 players worthy of being picked first overall. If we aren't going Chase or Burrow (Tua is the other one i see as the elite) then i'd rather they just do their research, trade down and grab 3 important pieces of the puzzle. 

That's why i'm not really that concerned that they'll take Andrew Thomas. There's quite a few decent to good LT gonna be out there but none worthy of such a high pick.

46 minutes ago, Art said:

What was in the best interest of the Washington Redskins on Sunday?   Winning a meaningless game at Dallas largely with players who won't be here next year, both lowering our draft position AND making us less attractive to potential coaching and personnel people in the process, or losing that game and maintaining the benefit of that pick?   This is not to say you had to root for a loss.   Of course not.   But if you were rooting for a win you weren't actually thinking about what was in the team's best interest.   The players who worked their respective asses off, as you put, got their head coach fired and were in the middle of roughly our worst season ever.   They should have worked harder when it mattered if it mattered.

My wife hates when I do this because her reply is always "You play to winnnnnn the game", but I'm going to say that for this year almost from the getgo I've been in a mood where I didn't care about wins and losses. I kinda had discussions on the board and with friends about what I was looking for this year and its been about seeing our youth develop. Whenever we have a draft with 10+ picks and some more UDFA guys come in and you come in with question marks at QB, LT, LG, RT, WR, RB, TE, OLB, ILB, CB, and FS (at least) as well as some young guys who could compete with the under-performing vets at those positions, for me its all about seeing if we can see growth at those positions. Now, once the season was lost (and its debatable about when it was actually lost) people were saying they cared more about the draft and next year and losing out, but I still wanted to see us play the young guys and hopefully win out like we did in 2012 after the 3-6 start. 

But its interesting because supposedly one of the things that Ron likes about this team is the fight in the young guys and the core we have to build around. So its a thin line we're walking when we ask for what Fred Smoot and Al Galdi were asking for, the graceful loss. I love seeing stuff like the Sims Jr play, or the stuff that TMac did this year or the game Sweat had or the stuff we saw from Guice, or the last 6 quarters from Haskins. But that's just the tip of the iceberg. It means nothing if it can't be sustained or repeated. So I wanted us to keep playing good games. If we won, we won. If we lost we lost.

But while I don't think wins transfer between seasons, I do think that stuff like learning to play EDGE and learning pass rush moves can transfer and games are a limited supply, as are snaps within those games. We saw Grant and Taylor Jacobs (heck and Quinn) were guys who could look great in practice but not show up in live action. But now we're seeing guys that can be building blocks for the future. If we'd have won 5 games or 7 games we would work out the draft from that point on. But that's why its important to have a good personnel department - because you don't want to depend so much on having a top 5 pick. You want to be able to find steals in the draft like TMac and Holcomb and Sims and other guys we've found in previous years. 

If Chase comes out, which hopefully he does.  The dude has been considered by almost everyone slam dunk either the best player in the draft or the 2nd pick.  In some drafts you got the top of the draft with a much more mixed vibe to it.

Call me crazy but I don't think a defensive minded coach like Rivera who seemed obsessed with building up the D line -- In Carolina they'd put their money there over the secondary -- will pass on Young for a need player like Andrew Thomas.  You never know.  But all we can do is play the odds.

Cooley likes to joke that sometimes an opposing team will just leave a TE on Kerrigan let alone him getting double teamed.   Even when Young isn't making plays, he's preoccupying the offense.  Here he freaking commands three guys.  The SF 49ers defense transformed from being one of the lower ranked ones to a top 5 this year with the addition of Bosa.   Bosa made everyone better.  Chase, who many think is better than Bosa, would do wonders IMO for Sweat, Payne, Allen, Ioannidis.  It's fun to fantasize about it.  And I was doing just that in the home stretch when I wanted to secure the pick.  

And if they trade the pick for a haul I won't be that upset either.  It would be fun to have multiple #1 picks and change in a fairly stacked draft. 

Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 10.12.12 PM.png

6 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

This is a deepish draft that really only has 2 maaaaaybe 3 players worthy of being picked first overall. If we aren't going Chase or Burrow (Tua is the other one i see as the elite) then i'd rather they just do their research, trade down and grab 3 important pieces of the puzzle. 

That's why i'm not really that concerned that they'll take Andrew Thomas. There's quite a few decent to good LT gonna be out there but none worthy of such a high pick.

Yeah, Odukah and Simmons are both better prospects also at positions of need.

2 minutes ago, TK said:

Hearing that Rivera's presser will be Thursday & the FO probably won't be sorted out by then as its ongoing.

Have you heard anything about Kyle Smith? I'm hearing that because of SD days together with AJ Smith and Ron Rivera, there could be a relationship, but nothing more than that. And there was that Santos screwup today saying he was fired then not fired?

11 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

But while I don't think wins transfer between seasons, I do think that stuff like learning to play EDGE and learning pass rush moves can transfer and games are a limited supply, as are snaps within those games. We saw Grant and Taylor Jacobs (heck and Quinn) were guys who could look great in practice but not show up in live action. But now we're seeing guys that can be building blocks for the future. If we'd have won 5 games or 7 games we would work out the draft from that point on. But that's why its important to have a good personnel department - because you don't want to depend so much on having a top 5 pick. You want to be able to find steals in the draft like TMac and Holcomb and Sims and other guys we've found in previous years. 

I agree with the gist of your point.  As its been said by many of us, play well and lose.  That is, once the playoffs were out of sight.  I loved seeing the progress of the young guys. 

Arguably the two best players in Dan's era were Trent and Sean.  Both top 5 picks.  Sometimes it just makes it a heck of a lot easier to secure a talent that is just bonkers.  Sean and Trent were/are freaks as to their talent.  It's not easy to always find guys like that outside the top 10.  Having freak talents aren't guarantees but what is a guarantee in the NFL?  It's all about playing the odds. 

3 minutes ago, TK said:

Hearing that Rivera's presser will be Thursday & the FO probably won't be sorted out by then as its ongoing.

The ongoing part scares me. It seems we have heard that narrative in the past...Spurrier was promised a GM, Shanny was going to get the father/son duo from the Broncos...I'm sure I'm missing something else. I can only imagine Agent Frank is getting this stuff in writing before making the plunge. 

38 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Presuming, of course, he's there for them to draft at 2/ that's who they chose to draft. 

You can't bank on anything come draft day which a lot of folk are doing. 

Hail. 

Why are you neglecting the rest of the draft? We will be picking #2 in every round except in round 2. You are right Chase might not work out or we might trade down but there are more than just one pick to look at for the betterment of team. If you are able to do that and become #1 in the NFCE because of it then then why not gamble. Football is game of chess and chance. Some moves work and some don't. 

Are you the person who looks at a nice looking woman and goes, yeah she might not work out. But if you don't ask you won't know. You still don't know how things will work out with Rivera or any other coach for that matter. Yes there are way too many variables in play right now. Just because you don't know doesn't mean it can't happen. if you don't try then why even bother. Right?

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah, Odukah and Simmons are both better prospects also at positions of need.

It's part of the reason why I am starting to reverse course on the point and starting to hope that Trent returns unless they can get a first for him.  I don't want to reach for a LT in this draft.  I want Chase but if they trade down I'd want other prospects ahead of taking a LT whether its Wirfs, Wills, Thomas.

Just now, zskins said:

Why are you neglecting the rest of the draft? We will be picking #2 in every round except in round 2. You are right Chase might not work out or we might trade down but there are more than just one pick to look at for the betterment of team. If you are able to do that and become #1 in the NFCE because of it then then why not gamble. Football is game of chess and chance. Some moves work and some don't. 

Are you the person who looks at a nice looking woman and goes, yeah she might not work out. But if you don't ask you won't know. You still don't know how things will work out with Rivera or any other coach for that matter. Yes there are way too many variables in play right now. Just because you don't know doesn't mean it can't happen. if you don't try then why even bother. Right?

Au contraire mon ami. I aren't neglecting anything as I aren't hanging all my hopes and dreams on the Redskins snagging Chase Young. 

You'd have to ask others who are narrowing down on that. :)

Hail. 

12 minutes ago, TK said:

Thanks TK when do you think we officially hear that a deal between Rivera and Skins has been struck?  Late tonight, tomorrow?

4 reasons Rivera is a good fit for Washington

Rivera will be the announced the new coach shortly, according to all reports. As a Washington fan of mine texted me, “I can’t believe we are doing the right thing.” Me neither.

And I’m equally as shocked Rivera would take this role, but here’s why I think it’ll work.

...2. Rivera can bring a winning culture to the team

Rivera is an excellent fit for any team, but particularly a team that doesn’t have an identity, like this one. He’s a former player who understand the relationship between a coach and a player. He’s tough on his players but respectful. They enjoy playing for him and he’s able to get the most from them.

3. Rivera will make the right coordinator hires to help his players succeed

There are things that will help Rivera in Washington that we don’t discuss enough. Rivera brought in offensive coordinators who designed an offense that perfectly fit Cam Newton’s skillset. We’ve given the proper credit to John Harbaugh for going all-in on a nontraditional offense that fit Lamar Jackson’s skillset. It feels like Rivera doesn’t get enough credit for doing the same with Newton.

That’s also a great example of Rivera being flexible and adaptable, instead of being rigid. Now he will be tasked with helping to develop young quarterback Dwayne Haskins, who is going to be the future of the team. I trust Rivera to hire the right people to make this happen.

4. Rivera is a good PR man

The last thing that flies under the radar for Rivera is what he mentioned on his way out in Carolina. He was often the public relations arm for the team. The owner never spoke and like most general managers, Marty Hurney and Dave Gettleman, didn’t speak often. Anytime there was controversy, Rivera handled it seamlessly. It never appeared to bother the team and they continued to play well and hard under him.

Plain and simple, Ron Rivera will be the adult in the facility in Ashburn, which is exactly what Washington needs. I believe this will be a successful partnership.

2 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Au contraire mon ami. I aren't neglecting anything as I aren't hanging all my hopes and dreams on the Redskins snagging Chase Young. 

Hail. 

Ahh. Yeah I was going for #2 too because of the positioning of the draft for rest of the rounds as well. I try to look at the big picture as well. :)

53 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Saw he had zero sacks yesterday in a loss in college playoffs.  Straight God mode got what, out gameplanned?

Young might be a special player, maybe even HOF, but even the best players might win a game or two by themselves, but not s championship.  

Especially now with rumors of going to 4-3, we talking about having 4 first round picks and a pro bowl alternate if we draft Young rotating on the dline at same time potentially losing Trent, Flowers, and Sherff on the oline.

My reasoning? Overload on dline and no one to protect Haskins is a recipe for disaster.  Am I the only one that noticed he didnt finish the season healthy after not starting the season playing at all?  If we get Young, so be it, I hope it works.  But I'd they get Haskins killed next, I'm not going to ask if Young can play QB.  They should trade down.

So you're reason for not wanting the number 2 pick is because the player that everyone wants got gameplanned for in a playoff game? Because you're afraid we get talented depth at D-Line and get something comparable to the Giants when they won the Super Bowls with Eli Manning because of their stacked D-Line?

Okay, so you don't want a D-Line. Easy fix. Hold his draft pick for ransom. Trade it for multiple picks at whatever position you want, and then pick whoever of whatever position you want, and still you'll be better off than winning an extra game for an interim coach and a soon-to-be defunct front office.

@Gibbs Hog Heaven You are absolutely right, nothing is guaranteed. Except for one thing, there is one thing that's guaranteed. Winning a 4th game in a season that ended a month ago is guaranteed to not make the team better. At best, it does nothing. At worst, it costs the team the chance at the next JJ Watt/Myles Garrett. To throw away a free lottery where you've got a 50-50 chance of getting the jackpot is incomprehensible to me. Again, not questioning fandom, questioning reasoning behind wanting it.

12 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Hail. 

Nobody is really doing that. Sure, who wouldn't like the best prospect and highest ranked player and one of thee most important position? We can also get a kings ransom and be able to get even more players. It's win win.

Archived