Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera to be next Redskins HC (According to CSN Post-game Show)

skinfan2k

35 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Nah. If I could only keep one I'd keep Ike Hilliard. He did a hell of a job with our rookie receivers. They all improved so much and were a viable NFL force by the time Haskins was able to put a game together.

Ike’s also the reason Steve Simms is here.  

3 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

So don't want it at all personally. 

But it what it is and he'll get a clean slate and open mind backing. 

Hail. 

If you can stand on the table for a hopeless win at Dallas at the expense of a great DE prospect, I'm pretty sure you can get excited about Bruce being fired so we can hire an extremely competent and well respected HC.

12 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

So don't want it at all personally. 

But it what it is and he'll get a clean slate and open mind backing. 

Hail. 

You really prefer Callahan to Rivera? I know he was your guy, but even the qualities you valued him for, Rivera is known to value and produce as well. And his reputation proceeds him in a much more convincing way than Callahan--to the point where it's allowing him to use his power to clear out formerly invulnerable cobwebs like Allen and Hess from the organization and get us a cleaner slate than we've gotten in a long time.

I'm just surprised. Rivera seems like exactly the type of tough, no-nonsense culture-builder that players fight for that you hoped Callahan would be. 

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

If you can stand on the table for a hopeless win at Dallas at the expense of a great DE prospect, I'm pretty sure you can get excited about Bruce being fired so we can hire an extremely competent and well respected HC.

Yanno, how anyone can continue to be SO disingenuous to the players and staff who've worked their respective asses off through a horrible year, along with any fan that's paid good money all year to support this team, by classing wins as 'hopeless' is completely beyond me. 

I get opposing views which is the basis of any fan discussion. You want a chance at Young. That's sound. 

But to flippantly dismiss any potential win, why we play the game in the first place, regardless of record, as 'hopeless' is a terrible way of framing things and comes across as very self-righteous mate. 

Hail. 

If I’m counting my chickens...

Rivera brings discipline, accountability, work ethic and general decency and respect to DC.  
Kyle Smith gets promoted - solid drafts for the foreseeable future.  
O’Connell sticks and Haskins growth continues its current trajectory.  
Ike stays and the receivers (including a new draftee) continue to develop.  
Trent returns (Allen and medical staff are gone) and Scherff/Flowers re-sign.  
We draft Chase Young.  
Sign a solid TE and corner.  
Improve the facilities at Redskins Park. 

Youth and speed on offense, a solid oline and stout dline.  Innovation on offense, discipline on defense and tons of youth that gets to develop together.  

That’s an exciting change compared with past ‘changes’ in Ashburn, IMO.  

4 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

You really prefer Callahan to Rivera? I know he was your guy, but even the qualities you valued him for, Rivera is known to value and produce as well. And his reputation proceeds him in a much more convincing way than Callahan--to the point where it's allowing him to use his power to clear out formerly invulnerable cobwebs like Allen and Hess from the organization and get us a cleaner slate than we've gotten in a long time.

I'm just surprised. Rivera seems like exactly the type of tough, no-nonsense culture-builder that players fight for that you hoped Callahan would be. 

Where did Callahan come into that mate?

Being underwhelmed by any potential Rivera hire has no relation to the outgoing Coach.  As it happens, I see a good few differences in the character of both guys. But that's completely irrelevant to me regardless as I'm not comparing the two. 

Hail. 

@Gibbs Hog Heaven let it go, mate.  The tanks won this round. Before you become what you accuse them of.

I wished it mattered how I felt about so much of the board wanting our archrival to beat us senseless to get a higher draft pick.  For all they know, someone will offer us a Griffin like ransom to get Young themselves and folks round here gonna be stuck like a cat getting brain freeze from ice cream.

2137215262_tenor(18).gif.485d98e17d65f4a9e44c668f25dc6070.gif

That's the corner they painted themselves into, dont paint yourself into one.

5 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Yanno, how anyone can continue to be SO disingenuous to the players and staff who've worked their respective asses off through a horrible year, along with any fan that's paid good money all year to support this team, by classing wins as 'hopeless' is completely beyond me. 

I get opposing views which is the basis of any fan discussion. You want a chance at Young. That's sound. 

But to flippantly dismiss any potential win, why we play the game in the first place, regardless of record, as 'hopeless' is a terrible way of framing things and comes across as very self-righteous mate. 

Hail. 

I know I don't post here much, but I'm pretty sure we argued here about 10 years ago on the same topic and you had the opposite opinion.  I was preaching against losing for a draft pick.  I was living in Florida and you said something about "why didn't you go to the Jacksonville game if you love the team so much".   I was saying players and coaches would never play to lose so it's unrealistic to root for in the first place, and I could swear you were arguing that the better draft pick was more important.   Hey, my memory is foggy, correct me if I'm wrong.

Either way , times change, and this game was literally a lock for the 2nd pick, unlike the last one a decade ago.  I changed my opinion from whatever that old game was back then, lol did we switch sides?

9 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Hail. 

Right because in 2 or 3 years we'll be sitting around being upset that we didn't get that 4rth and final win in 2019. :ols:  GTFO with that ****. :ols: 

and I'm the self righteous one? lol. That's pretty much your shtick. 

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@Gibbs Hog Heaven let it go, mate.  The tanks won this round. Before you become what you accuse them of.

I wished it mattered how I felt about so much of the board wanting our archrival to beat us senseless to get a higher draft pick.  For all they know, someone will offer us a Griffin like ransom to get Young themselves and folks round here gonna be stuck like a cat brain freeze from ice cream.

That's the corner they painted themselves into, dont paint yourself into one.

I didn't want to see us "beat senseless". I hate seeing the defense get punked like that. 

and it's not about seeing us lose. It's about acknowledging a lost season and being excited for the future. 

we've won 5 of our last 20 games. I don't really care if we won that 6th or not. I want a winning team. 

16 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Hail. 

What was in the best interest of the Washington Redskins on Sunday?   Winning a meaningless game at Dallas largely with players who won't be here next year, both lowering our draft position AND making us less attractive to potential coaching and personnel people in the process, or losing that game and maintaining the benefit of that pick?   This is not to say you had to root for a loss.   Of course not.   But if you were rooting for a win you weren't actually thinking about what was in the team's best interest.   The players who worked their respective asses off, as you put, got their head coach fired and were in the middle of roughly our worst season ever.   They should have worked harder when it mattered if it mattered.

5 minutes ago, Dirt said:

I know I don't post here much, but I'm pretty sure we argued here about 10 years ago on the same topic and you had the opposite opinion.  I was preaching against losing for a draft pick.  I was living in Florida and you said something about "why didn't you go to the Jacksonville game if you love the team so much".   I was saying players and coaches would never play to lose so it's unrealistic to root for in the first place, and I could swear you were arguing that the better draft pick was more important.   Hey, my memory is foggy, correct me if I'm wrong.

Either way , times change, and this game was literally a lock for the 2nd pick, unlike the last one a decade ago.  I changed my opinion from whatever that old game was back then, lol did we switch sides?

He did. I use to be a hardcore Zorn defender. Spurrier too. I always wanted to get that final win in a 4 or 5 win season for the gusto.

Because I was an idiot and unrealistic. It's an absurd stance and now Bruce is gone and we might have a shot at turning the culture around and being a legit pro team.

@Gibbs Hog Heaven You aren't overly happy with a potential Rivera hire. You've previously stated you'd be happy with a Callahan hire. I wasn't trying for a "gotcha", I think it's a natural comparison to make and ask you about since you were vocal about wanting Callahan. I'm just wondering how you compare and contrast the two. I honestly thought this hire would be up your alley. 

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

I didn't want to see us "beat senseless". I hate seeing the defense get punked like that. 

and it's not about seeing us lose. It's about acknowledging a lost season and being excited for the future. 

we've won 5 of our last 20 games. I don't really care if we won that 6th or not. I want a winning team. 

That's your opinion. And if high first round draft picks was such a big deal, Browns wouldn't of won only 6 games this year.  Where is that thread on them finally passing us in the dust? Theres so much wrong with this organization, winning games makes it palatable for some.  And none of the players wanted to lose for picks, that has to count for something.

14 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I wished it mattered how I felt about so much of the board wanting our archrival to beat us senseless to get a higher draft pick.  For all they know, someone will offer us a Griffin like ransom to get Young themselves and folks round here gonna be stuck like a cat getting brain freeze from ice cream.

Huh? That's also a perfectly desirable outcome that is only possible because we own the #2 pick. It's not an argument for the point you think you're making. You aren't making any sense. 

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

That's your opinion. 

Shocking :ols:  It really is.

I never made that argument you seem to be hanging your hat on. That's imaginary. 

and the players may not have wanted to lose. Sweat was awesome. I enjoyed a lot in that game honestly. We didn't have even a remote chance of competing in it anyway and that ****ing sucks and needs to change. I am happy not because we lost. I am happy because change is happening. 

Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

Huh? That's also a perfectly desirable outcome that is only possible because we own the #2 pick. It's not an argument for the point you think you're making. You aren't making any sense. 

That'd be awesome too. Super happy with that #2 pick. Too bad the Dolphins didn't make that idiotic conversion they tried. We'd be #1.

2 minutes ago, Dirt said:

You'd be wrong on the 'go-to Jacksonville' line mate. That must have been someone else your recalling. But you'd right on the tanking. (For Luck or RGIII and the desperate need for a franchise QB.). 

So yeah, we switched sides. From my perspective, the older and more mature with experience you get, the more you appreciate just how few games there are in a football season and just how important each and every one is. Not least to those who both play coach and those who pay good money to watch and support those that do. (Something I'd venture I know more about than most anyone on this board given the multitude of sacrifices I make on a weekly basis following my other sporting love, my home town team, all around the World.). 

To want the team you follow to openly lose, which as you mentioned I fell into myself to both my detriment and disastrous consequences back in 2012 (which goes for the same potential of success/ disaster on ANY draft pick. Young included. If we even picked him. Which there's no guarantee of), is so foreign to me as a match-going fan I can't begin to tell you. 

But hey, I'mma take @Renegade7 prudent advice on that and leave well enough alone there. 

Hail. 

6 minutes ago, Art said:

But if you were rooting for a win you weren't actually thinking about what was in the team's best interest.  

This kills me, man, jus because someone roots for the Redskins to win doesnt mean they are going to win.  

So what, Rivera turns down job that is offering him damn near full roster control right up the street from Carolina so he doeant have to move so far because we dont have the #2 pick for Young?  That's overthinking it, we might still trade down if offer is right based on other needs, that really is the best interests of the team, not overinvesting in the dline when you have no oline.

But ya, that's opinion.  If folks dont want the label of not being true fans for rooting for loses, it goes both ways, cant accuse people of not having the best interest of the team because they want to win. That's not right.

Archived