Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera to be next Redskins HC (According to CSN Post-game Show)

skinfan2k

I'm all on board with Rivera.  The Panthers were up and down, but if you take a look at the teams he faced in the playoffs, it wasn't like he was playing chump teams in the losses.

2013 - they went 12-4, secured a first round bye and got beat by the 5th seeded 49ers.  The 49ers were also 12-4 and beat Green Bay on the road in the playoffs, only to get beat by Seattle (#1 seed), who went on to crush the Broncos in the Superbowl.

2014 - 7-8-1 record, 4th seed.  Even with a sub .500 record, they knocked off the Cardinals in the wild card round.  Cards were 11-5 that year and started out 9-1.  The got beat in the divisional round by Seattle, the #1 seed who went on to make the Superbowl again.  

2015 - 15-1 record, #1 overall seed.  Crushed the Cards (13-3 that year) in the NFC Championship game and went on to lose to the Broncos in the Super Bowl.  

2017 - 11-5 record (#5 seed) lost in the wild card to division rival Saints team that was also 11-5 that year.  

3 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Enjoy your life of sour lemons. 

Add some whiskey, simple syrup, just a touch of egg whites -- gahshooken it, pour over ice, and yep ... I will enjoy my sour lemons, thank you very much. 

PS, I think you and Ron should start with manhattans. Then, if it tickles your fancy, move on to long island ice teas. 👍

Just now, UKskins said:

He'll fit right in here.

In 2013 they got beat by the 49ers.  The 49ers went on to get beat by the #1 seeded Seahawks.  Point was that the 49ers were a good team that year (12-4 record) that knocked off the Packers at Lambeau, beating the Panthers only to lose to the eventual SB champs in the NFC Championship game.

And yes, they lost to the Seahawks in 2014 in the divisional round, but after beating an 11-5 Cards team in the wild card game when they were just a 7-8-1 team that year.  

Again, they weren't getting beat by chumps.

Just now, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

In 2013 they got beat by the 49ers.  The 49ers went on to get beat by the #1 seeded Seahawks.  Point was that the 49ers were a good team that year (12-4 record) that knocked off the Packers at Lambeau, beating the Panthers only to lose to the eventual SB champs in the NFC Championship game.

And yes, they lost to the Seahawks in 2014 in the divisional round, but after beating an 11-5 Cards team in the wild card game when they were just a 7-8-1 team that year.  

Again, they weren't getting beat by chumps.

My bad, was only having a bit of fun - I'm on board with the hire

Question for the "experts". I read Rivera is/was a 4/3 scheme coach. Does this portend a 4/3 Defense here if he is hired (that's what he prefers) or does he have the personal flexibility to let his choice of DC run a 3/4 and not mandate a 4/3. Also, if Rivera is hired..how does this effect Norman (who under Rivera was a damn good corner in his schemes)

Basically..has Rivera ever used a 3/4???

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

Ron Rivera, to me, feels like the Alex Smith of coaches.  He’s the guy you bring in because the the best of what’s left.  Things haven’t been working out so you bring in a guy who has done good things, just not consistently and not consistently enough for his old team.

That's my feeling.  He's ok, I mean, he's fine, good guy, well respected, everybody likes him.  But if you're expecting to be impressed by the actual results, you'll probably be disappointed. But you'll be respectable.

Just now, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Question for the "experts". I read Rivera is/was a 4/3 scheme coach. Does this portend a 4/3 Defense here if he is hired (that's what he prefers) or does he have the personal flexibility to let his choice of DC run a 3/4 and not mandate a 4/3. Also, if Rivera is hired..how does this effect Norman (who under Rivers was a damn good corner in his schemes)

He used a 3/4 this past season to copy what the Bears were doing.   And some feel it played a part in why his defense struggled.    There is NO DOUBT in my mind if Rivera is our coach we're running a 4-3 though :).

7 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Question for the "experts". I read Rivera is/was a 4/3 scheme coach. Does this portend a 4/3 Defense here if he is hired (that's what he prefers) or does he have the personal flexibility to let his choice of DC run a 3/4 and not mandate a 4/3. Also, if Rivera is hired..how does this effect Norman (who under Rivera was a damn good corner in his schemes)

I read an article last year before the 2019 season started that they were going to implement some 3-4 zone coverages in Carolina.  He also ran the 3-4 in San Diego, but was mainly a 4-3 guy until then and for 8 of his years in Carolina.  

My guess is him and the next DC will evaluate the talent and run with what works best, or do a mix of both schemes.  But I think we go back to a 4-3 base personally.

Eager to see the guys who comprise Rivera's staff, if he is, indeed, ultimately the hire. Let the HC choose his own people, including his OC.

No idea who the GM will be, but if it's Morocco Brown, there's a greater chance that O'Connell remains. He's the reason O'Connell ended up in Ashburn in the first place, despite the fact that Gruden didn't want to bring him aboard.

10 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

if it's Morocco Brown, there's a greater chance that O'Connell remains. He's the reason O'Connell ended up in Ashburn in the first place, despite the fact that Gruden didn't want to bring him aboard.

What's this now?

Archived