Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is a realistic trade offer for Trent Williams in a few months?

Skinsota

10 minutes ago, carex said:

I didn't even mention the FO in this post

"After all he pulled" - There is an implication that the Skins FO was innocent. If I misread this, I offer my apologies for that.

"Who says the Skins want him back" - Who is this in reference to? The players? I bet they want him back. The coaches? He sure would have made life easier. The FO? I'd bet a good portion of them want him back... it comes down to Allen at that point. 

16 hours ago, carex said:

we have more leverage than any of the teams that might want him.  We don't have to pay him if he doesn't show and he doesn't want to play with the Skins anymore.  That means him showing up and just playing out his contract is unlikely.  So teams either meet our asking price or we let Trent stay home till he decides to retire

We have been saying we'll get a 3rd plus for him or nothing.  You prefer the nothing option?

16 hours ago, evmiii said:

I think the goal will be to replace the 2nd rounder we don't have.  Take a 2nd and run.

Seriously doubt anyone will offer a 2d (possibly but still doubt it). Clowney trade is probably the model we'll be looking at. (We could have had Cleveland's first).

The problem is that the Redskins don't have the right to trade Trent - the 13th Amendment abolished that in 1865.  They only have the right to trade Trent's contract.  And, as far as I've been able to find, it's not really clear what how many years Trent has left on that contract - 1 or 2.  So, at best, another team would be trading for the right to pay Trent ~$23M to play for two years.  At worst, they would be trading for a contract that Trent has no interest in honoring.

If I were GM of a team, I wouldn't even think of offering compensation before I knew absolutely from Trent's agent what his intentions were.  And since the status of the current contract is unclear, signing a new contract with terms agreeable to both sides would be a condition of the trade.

But the more Trent gets in a new contract, the less the acquiring team will be willing to give up to Washington.  And Trent will probably want a lot, unless he really wants to play for a particular team.

Just a wild guess - Washington gets a talented but problematic player and a third day draft choice.

4 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Trent hasn't aged (in football wear/tear terms) since the trade deadline 2 months ago. Is there a reason his perceived value has dropped from a first and a player to "maybe a 3rd?"  Asking for a very attractive and bright friend

I'm guessing because his contract is up next year maybe..

He should've been gone last year and we have a 1st though

7 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Trent hasn't aged (in football wear/tear terms) since the trade deadline 2 months ago. Is there a reason his perceived value has dropped from a first and a player to "maybe a 3rd?"  Asking for a very attractive and bright friend

Short and simple answer:

Leverage.

7 minutes ago, theTruthTeller said:

The problem is that the Redskins don't have the right to trade Trent - the 13th Amendment abolished that in 1865.  They only have the right to trade Trent's contract.  And, as far as I've been able to find, it's not really clear what how many years Trent has left on that contract - 1 or 2.  So, at best, another team would be trading for the right to pay Trent ~$23M to play for two years.  At worst, they would be trading for a contract that Trent has no interest in honoring.

If I were GM of a team, I wouldn't even think of offering compensation before I knew absolutely from Trent's agent what his intentions were.  And since the status of the current contract is unclear, signing a new contract with terms agreeable to both sides would be a condition of the trade.

But the more Trent gets in a new contract, the less the acquiring team will be willing to give up to Washington.  And Trent will probably want a lot, unless he really wants to play for a particular team.

Just a wild guess - Washington gets a talented but problematic player and a third day draft choice.

I imagine that the Skins will allow teams to negotiate with Trent before the trade

27 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

A year long discussion about brain tumors for a football player probably isn't going to skyrocket their trade value.

Trent also has publicly said he'll never play for the Redskins again. That significantly lowers anyone's trade value.

Remember Clinton Portis was not worth Champ Bailey and a 2nd rounder; not even close, but it was publically known that Champ had problems with the team and wanted out.

I doubt Allen will do a similar deal to get whatever value they can for Trent, probably drag it out another season until he's released.

Both sides really screwed up on this situation.   I do not want Callahan but if he were named Head Coach would Williams return?  I doubt it.

I would ask for a second round pick and a fourth round pick.  If Allen remains then the Prince of Darkness will not cut a deal with another team

unless he comes out looking like he got a steal.  If he has one year left he could continue to be stubborn and let Williams get a year older.

1 hour ago, Mooka said:

A year long discussion about brain tumors for a football player probably isn't going to skyrocket their trade value.

Trent also has publicly said he'll never play for the Redskins again. That significantly lowers anyone's trade value.

Remember Clinton Portis was not worth Champ Bailey and a 2nd rounder; not even close, but it was publically known that Champ had problems with the team and wanted out.

I doubt Allen will do a similar deal to get whatever value they can for Trent, probably drag it out another season until he's released.

It wasn't a brain tumor

On 12/25/2019 at 12:41 PM, Redskins Reparations said:

Once Chase Young declares himself available in this years draft I would trade Trent Williams and our 2nd overall draft pick for Cincinnati’s 1st overall and this years 2nd rounder.  Plus Cincinnati’s 3rd rounder in next years draft.  This move guarantees Chase wearing Burgundy and Gold...

What?  I was being sarcastic!

Who am I kidding? Yes, I was drinking Belgium beers and realize my post was full on unrealistic...Happy Holidays!

6 hours ago, theTruthTeller said:

... as far as I've been able to find, it's not really clear what how many years Trent has left on that contract - 1 or 2. 

One (2020). He'll be UFA in 2021. He was actually less on the cap hit this year ($3.5M) than he'll be next year ($14.5M). Pre or post 6/1 release or trade will be just $2M Dead. Maybe we can work out a 2 for 1 deal (second round?) and add Norman. :P

22 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

One (2020). He'll be UFA in 2021. He was actually less on the cap hit this year ($3.5M) than he'll be next year ($14.5M). Pre or post 6/1 release or trade will be just $2M Dead. Maybe we can work out a 2 for 1 deal (second round?) and add Norman. :P

here's an article from last November

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/report-redskins-wont-pay-trent-williams-remainder-2019-season

"As it looks now, Williams will get to 2020 in the final year of his contract. Washington could try to fight that too, saying the 2019 season should not count toward his years accrued and claim that Williams still has two years left on his deal. Should that happen, expect a vigorous response from Williams and the NFL Players Association.  "

I think they'll claim that he did not really report, that his claim that he couldn't find a helmet to wear was a lie.  After all, he supposedly wanted to play for another team, why wasn't he thinking about a helmet beforehand, since his problem was with his head.  And if it was legitimate, I think that would have voided any trade we had made during the season. meaning we'd have to do the whole thing over again

One year remaining is ok.  Another team could make an offer that extends the contract with the first year guaranteed.  Williams will have to pass a physical in a trade.  Fail on the scalp or knees and the trade gets voided.  If he doesn't show for another year and then signs a big deal I'm guessing the Skins might get a 3rd round comp pick.  So they might consider that the floor in trade value.

1 hour ago, carex said:

I wonder when is the most likely time for him to be traded?  Before the league year even begins, like our trade for Smith?  Draft day? 

I know the Texans caught some flak for not dealing Clowney before a deadline that prevented the team acquiring him to trade for and extend him. I’m sure Clowney and reps played a huge role in preventing a trade after the deadline securing leverage with future team (Clowney forced Seahawks to agree to not franchise tag him this upcoming year; guaranteeing him free agency). 

well, nice to see a Redskin, even a soon to be former Redskin get some decent praise.

But the not enough good for a list comment seems weird as hell.  It;s been a decade, there's 32 teams in the league.  No one's asking for 10 future hall of fame RTs from the 10's or anything just the best of the decade.  IF RT was perpetually such a pit, RTs would constantly be being switched. 

On 12/26/2019 at 9:56 AM, nonniey said:

We have been saying we'll get a 3rd plus for him or nothing.  You prefer the nothing option?

Seriously doubt anyone will offer a 2d (possibly but still doubt it). Clowney trade is probably the model we'll be looking at. (We could have had Cleveland's first).

if the Browns once offered a 1st I can see them easily giving us their #2 to secure that LT position. I still believe we could get a high 2nd or maybe even a #1 if we toss in a later pick.

On 12/27/2019 at 1:18 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Ledyard is probably my favorite analyst

Nice list for our trade Trent purposes....Keep asking for a #1 or tell him he must play for our new regime. 

Archived