Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is a realistic trade offer for Trent Williams in a few months?

Skinsota

13 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

Once Chase Young declares himself available in this years draft I would trade Trent Williams and our 2nd overall draft pick for Cincinnati’s 1st overall and this years 2nd rounder.  Plus Cincinnati’s 3rd rounder in next years draft.  This move guarantees Chase wearing Burgundy and Gold...

Drinking early on Christmas. Nothing wrong with that. 

a second rounder or a late first rounder.  Miami needs multiple players on the OL and a vet may be something to go with whatever younger players they select, so maybe we could get their last first rounder or the first second rounder.  Multiple people will be interested so we should get at least a little bidding war.

Also, we're probably going to fight this season accruing, so he may have a two year contract.

1 hour ago, carex said:

a second rounder or a late first rounder. 

This brings up a good point

One must specify which team or which area within the round.

Because the difference between 2 different teams' 1st Rounder (like Bengals and Patriots, for example) could be almost an entire round of difference.

A Bengals' 3rd round pick is virtually a 2nd rounder.

A Patriots 3rd rounder is virtually a 4th rounder - especially when you factor in all the Compensatory picks that start in Round 3,

2 hours ago, Redskins Reparations said:

Once Chase Young declares himself available in this years draft I would trade Trent Williams and our 2nd overall draft pick for Cincinnati’s 1st overall and this years 2nd rounder.  Plus Cincinnati’s 3rd rounder in next years draft.  This move guarantees Chase wearing Burgundy and Gold...

You're overvalueing Trent Williams here.

21 minutes ago, evmiii said:

I think the goal will be to replace the 2nd rounder we don't have.  Take a 2nd and run.

Hopefully we can even get a second 

He's a commodity with a limited shelf life and we have no leverage.  If people wait us out they won't have to even trade anything for him.  

Realistically I think we get like a third and a fifth, like the AB trade.  Both circumstances involve a high level talent on a team with zero trade leverage.

some of the people saying "He'll be 32" like it's some sort of deal break need to look at the number of quality tackles in their late 30s this past year.  He can be in that group and the people trading for him will most likely expect him to be, they won't be looking at him as a short term stopgap

2 hours ago, TommyWilson said:

Hopefully we can even get a second 

He's a commodity with a limited shelf life and we have no leverage.  If people wait us out they won't have to even trade anything for him.  

Realistically I think we get like a third and a fifth, like the AB trade.  Both circumstances involve a high level talent on a team with zero trade leverage.

we have more leverage than any of the teams that might want him.  We don't have to pay him if he doesn't show and he doesn't want to play with the Skins anymore.  That means him showing up and just playing out his contract is unlikely.  So teams either meet our asking price or we let Trent stay home till he decides to retire

If I owned the Redskins I would have a sit down with mr Trent and his agent and without mr Allen. In my mind I do not want to use a draft choice on a LT when I have a good one on my team. So much harder to build a team when guys quit on you when they have value left. I would tell him I want him to retire a Redskin, have his name on the circle and maybe get in the HOF as a skin. I would tell him life is too short to harbor hate for the things that are out of your control. I would find out what is really bugging him and I would offer to tear up his contract and write a new one for 2-3 more years. Funny how cash can fix a lot of past petty problems. We will have some cash by getting rid of Reed and Norman. Trent is good those other guys are not. Get Trent back and our O line looks better already. I do not want to keep wasting picks on guys who quit on us.

2 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

If I owned the Redskins I would have a sit down with mr Trent and his agent and without mr Allen. In my mind I do not want to use a draft choice on a LT when I have a good one on my team. So much harder to build a team when guys quit on you when they have value left. I would tell him I want him to retire a Redskin, have his name on the circle and maybe get in the HOF as a skin. I would tell him life is too short to harbor hate for the things that are out of your control. I would find out what is really bugging him and I would offer to tear up his contract and write a new one for 2-3 more years. Funny how cash can fix a lot of past petty problems. We will have some cash by getting rid of Reed and Norman. Trent is good those other guys are not. Get Trent back and our O line looks better already. I do not want to keep wasting picks on guys who quit on us.

Agreed, in fact That should have happened 6 months ago. Of course I don't what happened behind closed doors, maybe it was. Perhaps agents refuse to let such things happen, as it kind of makes them obsolete. But yeah, that's how I believe should have gone down.

2 hours ago, evmiii said:

I do believe the opinion of the talking heads and others outside the Redskin organization of Trent is higher than that of the general opinion on the board.  I think a late two will become available.

Healthy discussion. 

I hope you are right!

12 hours ago, Redskins Reparations said:

I was thinking about this and I don't think you're that far off. The Bengals could definitely bluff us into trading for the #1 overall pick knowing that we have no need for a QB. If they float it out there that they may take Young I could see us panicking and moving up a spot by giving the Bengals a player or pick(s). 

This probably won't happen but it would be smart on their end if they want Burrows.

I was fully on board with trading Trent last season, however, I don't necessarily see that his value has increased - I think Bruce blew it big time (as usual) so I would want a 2nd for Trent - top half of the round. That at least gives us back a decent 2nd. Penn isn't as good as Trent, but hell, dude played pretty well this year. I don't think we'll get a 1st out of anyone - Trent just has too many red flags - injury prone/weed prone/wouldn't have an independent assessment etc

I actually have pivoted now though, I think keeping Trent would be best case scenario. Don't know how likely it is, but Bruce going would probably increase the chances we could work something out. If we can't keep him then I extend Penn for a season and draft a LT in the first round next year, and get whatever we can for Trent (either top half 2nd or a young TE from somewhere and whatever late rounders are needed to make up the value.

There's no way in hell I let Trent **** up getting Chase Young so if Trent is going, Penn stays for another year or we get someone comparable in FA. Can't throw Haskins to the wolves and make him play without a decent LT, so that has to be a priority to fill with a stopgap.

19 hours ago, Burgold said:

If Bruce is here then out of sheer pettiness and vindictiveness the best we can expect is a compensatory pick. If he's not, I think a first plus is more than possible. Trent is a consistent elite level left tackle. Those are well valued. I think what fans do is overvalue outside players and undervalue our own.

There’s no scenario in which pettiness and vindictiveness leads to the Skins ending up with a compensatory pick this off-season or next...or maybe ever. 

The time to trade Williams was this season. The guy in charge bungled it. Now, ideally, the guy in charge is removed and Trent plays for the Redskins this season. It puts less of a necessity on drafting a tackle this season (maybe draft a guy in the third or so if a good one is on the board and see how they develop). Of course, if you can get a high enough first rounder for him to net Thomas or Wirfs its a similar situation. But those would be my options. Williams or a high enough first for Thomas or Wirfs. And since we're not getting a high first for him I'd rather just see 71 back in the burgundy and gold next season.

I'm hoping Trent stays or we get a second for him because more than one team will be bidding on him. Other than Costanzo, there aren't any tackles in free agency to be excited about. The draft is decent for tackles, but I don't see any great plug and play guys, especially after the first round. If Trent does stay, I'd still draft a tackle with our third round pick.  Perhaps this is a question for its own thread, but I'm wondering what we would/should take if we decide to trade Ryan Kerrigan. I love the player, but if we draft Young, Kerrigan becomes a luxury for a young team.

5 minutes ago, carex said:

who says the Skins want him back after what he pulled?

I guarantee you that most of them want him back. 

And what he pulled? Who says the Skins want Bruce Allen back after what he pulled?

Your defending of the FO is starting to become nauseating.

31 minutes ago, KDawg said:

And what he pulled? Who says the Skins want Bruce Allen back after what he pulled?

The “Skins” don’t have to want Bruce back...just Snyder. And what Bruce pulled may have not only been done with Snyder’s blessing, but possibly at his direction. Don’t need to be defending the FO to reach that conclusion.

47 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

The “Skins” don’t have to want Bruce back...just Snyder. And what Bruce pulled may have not only been done with Snyder’s blessing, but possibly at his direction. Don’t need to be defending the FO to reach that conclusion.

Who said otherwise?

And for the record, that was my point. It doesn't matter who "The Skins" want back. Which, by the way is the same situation for Williams as it is for Allen, considering Williams and Snyder are "friendly".

Thank you.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I didn't even mention the FO in this post

Anyway, we've got plenty of new players on this roster, anyone here who signed after the end of the 2018 season has probably never even met him, add in this coming offseason's free agency and draft, next season's roster will be drastically different than the last time he put on a Redskins uniform

Archived