Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Be afraid. Be very afraid....

Riggo-toni

There is really nothing that can get me jazzed about rallying to save Bruce Allen's job because to me that's the crux of the outcome of this.

The only thing that gives me some cognitive dissonance on that point, is Guice.  I've been a Guice freak from back in 2017 in his LSU days, he's probably my all time favorite pick as for being invested in a player before he was drafted here.   

So if they win because Guice looks like a monster that would be the easiest scenario for me to bear the scrooge of having more Allen years but I'd much rather Guice plays out of his mind and they lose again if that's what's needed to get rid of Dan's buddy. 

The losing streak starts this Sunday in G.B. and continue with the other teams.  Only game we MIGHT win is against NY.  I am a longtime Skins fan but Bruce has got to go and with us losing 3 out of the next 4 should cement his time in DC.  JMO.

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Trent and Moses?  and maybe Scherff?  That's a lot cooking to replace.  I am not a Moses guy but I'd be surprised. 

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Trent and Moses?  and maybe Scherff?  That's a lot cooking to replace.  I am not a Moses guy but I'd be surprised. 

I'm not convinced that Trent is done as a Redskin...If Bruce is gone and some things can be worked out with the medical staff, and TW is liking the makeup and direction of the roster, I believe it's possible this dispute gets worked out......along with a nice extension from a team that has 70 mil in cap space and an owner that wants TW to retire as a Redskin. Thru all the bull**** of this season, this team has stuck together and is learning how to win. If you add TW to the mix next season we're talking paloffs!!!!!

Here's a take (all be it far fetched but possible):

Remember when everybody was up in arms about Dave Martinez (Nats manager)? Remember when everybody was up in arms about Barry Trotz (Caps manager)? They all ended up somehow winning championships in the same year everybody was talking about firing them. Weird! Remember how the preseason thought (including the Redskins) was that these teams had enough talent to compete at a high level? I say all that to say what if this Callahan guy is the Barry and Dave of this area's football team? All three coaches/managers are/were really good at pissing you off in interviews and making weird in-game decisions and what not. And lets not forget all their GMs were on the hot seat as well. But somehow in the midst of all that, the players somehow miraculously became competitive and caught fire out of nowhere. What if the Redskins beat the Packers with a dominate run game and Haskins gets into the zone McClaurin talks about him being able to get into and he starts hitting those play action plays he's been missing? We all know sports is weird that way. You gain a little confidence, momentum, belief and boom!!, you find yourself having success. Funny thing is, Haskins and McClaurin experienced that at the O (they were ranked 10th late in the season and ended up winning the National Championship). Sports is weird that way.

But then again, maybe not....lol

10 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

If the Skins win 3 of the next 4 those that argue that Callahan and Haskins are moving the team forward will have a point.

Not really.

We are just taking advantage of a collapsing NFC EAST.  That's it, nothing more.  Case in point.   What happened after winning the division in 2015.  We finished with a mediocre record: 8-7-1 the following year.  You give the job to Callahan and you will get the same result.  Mediocre football. We face the NFc West and AFC North next year.

It really comes down to whether you believe this team has talent and just needs a coaching staff to elevate it. The other belief is that the players suck and the team is still drafts away from being talented enough to compete at a high level. If you believe the latter, that's par for the course and no coach in the past 20 years has been able to win. Meaning a new coach would be a waste of time. Kind of what Trent said about being on a track going in circles instead of a road to success. Mind you that's a current player saying this.

Bottom line, unless the new coach can buy his own groceries, it'll be much like its been. The coach will be trying to make phila minon with lunch meat.

9 hours ago, joeken24 said:

It really comes down to whether you believe this team has talent and just needs a coaching staff to elevate it. The other belief is that the players suck and the team is still drafts away from being talented enough to compete at a high level. If you believe the latter, that's par for the course and no coach in the past 20 years has been able to win. Meaning a new coach would be a waste of time. Kind of what Trent said about being on a track going in circles instead of a road to success. Mind you that's a current player saying this.

Bottom line, unless the new coach can buy his own groceries, it'll be much like its been. The coach will be trying to make phila minon with lunch meat.

Shanahan supposedly could and only when he failed and was fired did he claim different

As much as my brain tells me that watching the team bleed out for the rest of the season is the best scenario for us, my heart would love to see this team run off 4 straight wins.

We have a dilemma as Skins fans, we have a lot of young guys who are getting playing time and they are starting to make the most of it.

I'm not sure I want to sacrifice the development of Harmon, Sims, Sims, Guice, Haskins, McClaurin, Moreau, Allen, Payne, Settle, Collins, Matt L, Sweat, Moreland for a draft pick that has assures us no guarantees.

It's a tough one, in a perfect world we play close, tough games where the team still has the feeling of these young guys evolving but we fall just short of winning each week.  

But it's not a perfect world.

If you buy into what some of the beat guys are saying they seem to believe the GB game is the be all and end all for Bruce not so much the other games.  If they end up beating a good team on the road, he can do the we are close argument with a serious face.  Some like Russell have said that they believe the Jacksonville win saved Bruce's job last year.  And supposedly Bruce needs a signature win like that and they believe it's likely about beating GB or bust.  

I can't envision the Skins beating GB but I'd love to see it.  I'd love to see them sweep their rematches with the Eagles, Giants, and Cowboys also, I don't see that happening.   I think them closing out strong with an unexpected win streak would do far more for them than losing out and getting earlier draft picks.

It seems crazy if that's true @Skinsinparadise, right now more than ever it seems like its the entire world against Bruce, even the national media is starting to chime in so if Dan only needs 1 win to justify keeping Bruce around then IMO he wasn't going to get rid of him anyway.

I would be shocked if we beat GB, I don't think they're an unstoppable team, not even the best team in their division but they're 9-3 and it's in Lambeau so let's see what happens, most likely all this hype comes back to reality real quick.

18 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Not really.

We are just taking advantage of a collapsing NFC EAST.  That's it, nothing more.  Case in point.   What happened after winning the division in 2015.  We finished with a mediocre record: 8-7-1 the following year.  You give the job to Callahan and you will get the same result.  Mediocre football. We face the NFc West and AFC North next year.

I don't know how you can say that for sure. In no way am I advocating for Callahan to get the job but if he has this team playing well and is developing DH with the staff in place I'm not ready to say he can't lead this team to a division title next season. Not without hearing from the players. I've seen too many crazy things happen in sports to just write off Callahan and his potential as a head coach. If he has the respect and ears of this roster that's the first step...and a very important one.

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

I don't know how you can say that for sure. In no way am I advocating for Callahan to get the job but if he has this team playing well and is developing DH with the staff in place I'm not ready to say he can't lead this team to a division title next season. Not without hearing from the players. I've seen too many crazy things happen in sports to just write off Callahan and his potential as a head coach. If he has the respect and ears of this roster that's the first step...and a very important one.

It's been utterly mad to me the number of folks that are not only talking in absolutes that we'd defo have a poor year next year under Bill. But similarly all the excuses at every verse end as to why we are winning games now. Which is everything in the book bar the Redskins are actually starting to grow and play some good football. I wait with bated breath to see what the narrative is if they beat the Packers as I have little doubt the usual suspects will have the excuses as to how we lucked into it et al all ready to roll. 

I don't know whether it's a general Snyder thing? Whether it's the perceived connection to Allen thing? Whether folk are just that snake-bitten over the years of mediocrity they're too guarded to allow themselves to have fun and enjoy watching Redskins football again?  But whatever it is, it's just off the charts mad to me how people are going out of their way to continue to find the negatives instead of just letting it play out and enjoy the wins and progress over the last few games. 

Hell knows we are one of the LAST teams to turn them down given we've been SO bereft of them of late.

Hail. 

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If you buy into what some of the beat guys are saying they seem to believe the GB game is the be all and end all for Bruce not so much the other games.  If they end up beating a good team on the road, he can do the we are close argument with a serious face.  Some like Russell have said that they believe the Jacksonville win saved Bruce's job last year.  And supposedly Bruce needs a signature win like that and they believe it's likely about beating GB or bust.  

I am thinking and hoping for a bust game by our Skins big time just so Bruce can go.  I hope a lopsided win by G.B. is the last straw for Snyder and Allen is relieved of his duties as VP of the team.

4 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

It's been utterly mad to me the number of folks that are not only talking in absolutes that we'd defo have a poor year next year under Bill. But similarly all the excuses at every verse end as to why we are winning games now. Which is everything in the book bar the Redskins are actually starting to grow and play some good football. I wait with bated breath to see what the narrative is if they beat the Packers as I have little doubt the usual suspects will have the excuses as to how we lucked into it et al all ready to roll. 

I don't know whether it's a general Snyder thing? Whether it's the perceived connection to Allen thing? Whether folk are just that snake-bitten over the years of mediocrity they're too guarded to allow themselves to have fun and enjoy watching Redskins football again?  But whatever it is, it's just off the charts mad to me how people are going out of their way to continue to find the negatives instead of just letting it play out and enjoy the wins and progress over the last few games. 

Hell knows we are one of the LAST teams to turn them down given we've been SO bereft of them of late.

Hail. 

on JP Finley's podcast they have the reverse thing called Ashburning, when we (the fans) seem to lower the bar of what we expect/accept because its the Skins. Like, most teams want a deep playoff run and a superbowl. But because we're the Skins, we will accept a playoff birth, or sometimes just a winning season. 

This is kinda the reverse thing. We were the worse team in the league for at least 5, maybe 6 weeks. Then we beat the Dolphins and its because they wanted to lose and we would have lost if they wanted to or if they had started Fitz all game. Then we beat two more guys (whose teams had better records than us going into the game) and it doesn't matter because they were backup QBs. But those backups were favored against us going into the game, and hello - we were the worse team in football. I mean just 3 weeks ago the story was that we may not win another game this season and this was easily the worse Redskins team that maybe even Keim had ever covered. 

So are we off that ledge? Is this still the worse team? If we win 6 or 7 games, are we still the worse team? I don't like attributing wins to a QB but if Haskins keeps improving from week to week and has things like strong 4th quarters, spreads the ball around, and makes the right progressions, are we not allowed to be excited about it? Lets say Guice has an 800 total yards this season to finish the year, is that something to get excited about. But honestly I stopped letting the naysayers get to me because it ruins my high. People who think that winning 6 in a row will save Bruce don't understand Dan. If 6 games saves Bruce then Bruce was never in danger. 

Archived