Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Be afraid. Be very afraid....

Riggo-toni

What is interesting to me is that the switch from Gruden to Callahan basically made the offense do a 180.  Now all of a sudden they can run the ball. but the passing game looks bad, and I know some, a lot, has to do with Haskins's inexperience and bad play, however I am also talking the play design and play calling itself.  If there was one thing Gruden could hang is hat on, it was having a QB friendly system.  It usually produced numbers for any QB running it.  Doesn't mean it would translate into wins however.

Now you have the opposite, the running game is carrying the load, but the passing game is just weird.  I don't get how you have a rookie QB out there, yet don't call a lot of quick passes to get them in a comfort zone and put the defense on their heels or at least back them off from the pass rush aggression.  Every time I see Haskins drop back I am wondering why another play has been called that relies on long development.

THEN, in today's game, on the final drive suddenly it's time to call quick passes?  And Haskins actually looked decent at doing it.  How is that not a bigger part of the scheme during the rest of the game?

It just makes no sense.

The last month or so has shown me that there are more worthwhile players on this team than I had previously thought under Gruden.  They need better coaches, a better scheme, and more pieces, but the team isn't as devoid of talent as I thought before. 

I think the coaches made a weird choice. I think they wanted Haskins to gut it out, but decided they were going to call it in such a hyper-conservative fashion that the Packers knew exactly what we were going to do on every down. That made it really hard on the offense.

I could easily blame the coaching, but there were some plays in there that looked easy enough to do that he missed. The most obvious one was him forcing the ball to Kelvin Harmon instead of checking it down to Simms for what should have been an easy TD. When the correct answer is the easy checkdown and the QB still doesn't take the easy way out, I don't know how else you can hold his hand.

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

What is interesting to me is that the switch from Gruden to Callahan basically made the offense do a 180.  Now all of a sudden they can run the ball. but the passing game looks bad, and I know some, a lot, has to do with Haskins's inexperience and bad play, however I am also talking the play design and play calling itself.  If there was one thing Gruden could hang is hat on, it was having a QB friendly system.  It usually produced numbers for any QB running it.  Doesn't mean it would translate into wins however.

Now you have the opposite, the running game is carrying the load, but the passing game is just weird.  I don't get how you have a rookie QB out there, yet don't call a lot of quick passes to get them in a comfort zone and put the defense on their heels or at least back them off from the pass rush aggression.  Every time I see Haskins drop back I am wondering why another play has been called that relies on long development.

THEN, in today's game, on the final drive suddenly it's time to call quick passes?  And Haskins actually looked decent at doing it.  How is that not a bigger part of the scheme during the rest of the game?

It just makes no sense.

The last month or so has shown me that there are more worthwhile players on this team than I had previously thought under Gruden.  They need better coaches, a better scheme, and more pieces, but the team isn't as devoid of talent as I thought before. 

3rd and 1 in the 1st quarter and they run naked backfield inside their own 35 I believe. This formation is insanely bad. I thought they'd run the QB draw but no. he tries to throw a quick slant that gets batted away. Who called that play and formation? With DH at QB you have to show run at least as an option? 

Maybe we're in tank mode? 

I have to say, I'm very disappointed in DH thus far, especially compared to an undrafted free agent like Duck Hodges for Pittsburgh. That dude looks light years ahead of DH. 

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

I have to say, I'm very disappointed in DH thus far, especially compared to an undrafted free agent like Duck Hodges for Pittsburgh. That dude looks light years ahead of DH. 

Yeah. Insane what playing for a crappy organization vs playing for a team with an actual head coach/GM/owner can do for a QB :P 

19 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Yeah. Insane what playing for a crappy organization vs playing for a team with an actual head coach/GM/owner can do for a QB :P 

I don't buy that argument at all. I will buy the argument that maybe Hodges played a lot more college football than DH did and is just that more comforable as a QB. Haskins was under constant pressure yesterday but he still struggled to make the right reads, was inaccurate and just didn't look comfortable/confident. Hodges looks the opposite and he went undrafted? Maybe we'll put DH in the QB simulator all offseason and make him face the 86 Bears every day?

Archived