Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2020 Draft Positioning Thread: We're #2!

GhostofSparta

Just getting myself ready for the worst case scenario next week, I figure we could fall no further than the fifth pick. That would happen if we beat Dallas, Lions lose to Pack, Giants lose to Eagles, and Miami loses to Pats.  It's quite conceivable that the Lions, Giants, and Fins will lose.  So, we have got to lose to Dallas. 

1 minute ago, Doctorfro said:

Skins fans seem to think the #2 pick is going to be our savior. Lotta talk about something that will have very little value in the scope of our future success/failure. 

It's rare to pick that high and when you do, you have a shot at an elite game changer. We have a chance at the second coming of LT. Yeah, that's pretty exciting. 

31 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

Just getting myself ready for the worst case scenario next week, I figure we could fall no further than the fifth pick. That would happen if we beat Dallas, Lions lose to Pack, Giants lose to Eagles, and Miami loses to Pats.  It's quite conceivable that the Lions, Giants, and Fins will lose.  So, we have got to lose to Dallas. 

The good news is Dallas has something to play for next week. The bad news is Dallas had something to play for this week.

Just now, Burgold said:

The good news is Dallas has something to play for next week. The bad news is Dallas had something to play for this week.

Have you seen our secondary? It won't matter either way. They could trot Troy Aikman's CTE-riddled ass out there and put up 45 on us.

25 minutes ago, Doctorfro said:

Skins fans seem to think the #2 pick is going to be our savior. Lotta talk about something that will have very little value in the scope of our future success/failure. 

The higher your pick, the better players available. Also, the more trade down options you have.

Let's say the Bengals shock everyone, stick with Dalton, and take Chase Young at #1. Now the Redskins are sitting at #2 with every QB available. Think there won't be at least 1 team looking to jump the Dolphins for a shot at Burrows (maybe even Tua despite his injury)? Think the Dolphins might not know that and, with ample draft capital the next 2 years, possibly make a sweeter deal so nobody leaps them and they get their franchise guy? Suddenly that 1 high pick can turn into maybe getting a 2nd rounder back this year? Maybe a high pick (1st or 2nd round) next year?

Now say the Redskins are sitting at #5 and the Giants have that #2 pick when this scenario happens. Would you rather have that pick over them, or will you still think it won't matter?

2 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Forget Chase... Can we get a real coach and D Coordinator to lead this defense when we get Chase. Seriously, way to much talent to have the kind of performances we're seeing week in and out.

They're doing it wrong

That's the thing. It isn't about Chase. It's about the fact that Haskins over the last few games looks like a real NFL QB. Terry has looked like a future probowler. Simms looks scary in the slot. Plus, about five of eight other rookie/second year players who look like contributors.

Get someone that scares offenses on defense that they have to account for on every play and combine him with a DC who knows how scheme up an effective D and suddenly the Redskins might get somewhere. The last three weeks, we've been really competitive.  We still need some players. We still need some coaches. The cupboard isn't bare.

How the Giants win over the Redskins hurt their chances at drafting Chase Young

The Ohio State DE is expected to be the No. 2 pick in the 2020 NFL Draft

By Ralph Vacchiano | 6:30PM
  • He is almost certainly going to be the No. 2 overall pick in the draft, assuming the Cincinnati Bengals take a quarterback at No. 1. And unfortunately for the Giants, their loss gave the Redskins the inside track to take him.

So the Giants could still see a lot of Young in the future. He'll just be wearing a maroon and gold uniform and chasing Daniel Jones.

Of course, embattled Giants coach Pat Shurmur said, "Coaches don't think like that." And he's right. Like the players on the field, all they wanted to do on Sunday was win. The truth is, the same can be said of co-owners John Mara and Steve Tisch and GM Dave Gettleman. It's not that they didn't want the best pass rusher available.

It's just that they wanted to win more.

That's understandable and noble, and probably more than a few fans got caught up in the excitement on Sunday too, even if they regretted it later when they checked the updated draft order. But it does still present a lingering problem for the Giants with no easy solution. Right now the Giants are slated to pick fourth - a position that could get worse if they beat the Philadelphia Eagles at home next Sunday.

...Instead, they better hope that win feels real good, because the pain from that victory could be long lasting. They are desperate to find that long-term pass-rushing answer, and the damage done by missing out on Young this April is going to be very difficult for them to undo.

https://www.sny.tv/giants/news/how-the-giants-win-over-the-redskins-hurt-their-chances-at-drafting-chase-young/312282438

•  

12 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Jadeveon Clowney said "wassup"...

They are not the same at all. Did Clowney even play his final season, didn't he essentially sit out? He did not dominate like Young has, he was a freak of nature though. Young is a stud already, extremely polished. 

2 hours ago, Doctorfro said:

Debateable. I see where you are coming from, but drafting an elite prospect (without mortgaging our future) is one of the few things the redskins haven't done in a long time. 

I'm really excited about Chase if we get him, which looks likely.  The D could be elite next year and with Haskins looking pretty good it may not be a bad year.  In fairness to the team it would hinder any team badly to not have their starting QB, LT, and TE at the start of the year.  I just hope they get a 2nd and 4th for Trent and they should be able to address the LT and TE positions there or in FA.  LT's in FA are not great so if all else fails, Penn can do another year if it comes to that. 

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

They are not the same at all. Did Clowney even play his final season, didn't he essentially sit out? He did not dominate like Young has, he was a freak of nature though. Young is a stud already, extremely polished. 

certainly don’t mean to speak for anyone but I would think he is referring to the hype train, “2nd coming” references that were being thrown around when Clowney came out, not comparing the player skill sets.

24 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

certainly don’t mean to speak for anyone but I would think he is referring to the hype train, “2nd coming” references that were being thrown around when Clowney came out, not comparing the player skill sets.

That's fair. Also fair to say nearly 100% of people who care about this stuff think Young is a better prospect. Easy to wonder if we're all just being swept up into a draft narrative, of course. I'm sure his tape will be broken down to no end around here if we lose next week. 

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Clowny wasnt #1 pick by accident and did make some pro bowls.  I dont know if that floor is worth it, Young hasnt played his final season, either.

56 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

What's your point?

A lot of folks with potential to be dominant that werent, we also have a lot of holes.  Swing and a miss on this guy, and our next pick isnt until the third round.

I look at our oline and cant justify defense over protecting Haskins.  Want to wait until he becomes next Andrew Luck?

Archived