Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2020 Draft Positioning Thread: We're #2!

GhostofSparta

1 hour ago, Skinsota said:

Giants at home against the Dolphins this week is enormous.

If Giants win, we control our own destiny to stay in front of them.  lol

is that true?  The Dolphins also only have 3 wins and as of today they have a weaker strength of schedule than us... https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

As I said earlier, I am not expecting to get the number 2 pick.

20 minutes ago, philibusters said:

is that true?  The Dolphins also only have 3 wins and as of today they have a weaker strength of schedule than us... https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

As of now we are have a weaker sos .483 to Miami's .490

Plus there is a chance that they take Tua or another qb at 2.

The Giants will take Chase Young.

I am rooting for the Giants to win.

4 hours ago, philibusters said:

No offense, but whatever that is you posted has little and less to do with determining SOS for draft picks.  It is simply the number of wins of your opponents divided by the total number of games played by your opponents.

We currently have the edge on Miami, .483 to .490 (lower is better in this case) if the OP is updated.

What I don't know is if the OP counts teams not yet played. When I used to do this, I would count the records of all the teams everyone had yet to play, since those games were going to come in anyway.  It paints a clearer picture.  If that has already been done, we're in pretty good shape against Miami.

If it hasn't, they could be an issue.  Both teams play the Giants so that's a wash.  Our other teams are Dallas and Philly (combined 12-14 record) while theirs are Cincy-New England (combined 11-15).  So MIami is "picking up a game on us" currently as future opponents go, unless those teams have already been factored in.

i went to the Tankathon website and it looked like they had an easier schedule than us remaining (despite the fact that they play the Patriots who are 10-3)  Their other two games are against 1-12 Bengals and 2-11 Giants meaning their remaining opponents have a record of 13-26.   We have the Eagles 6-7, Cowboys 6-7, and Giants 2-11 who have a combined record of 14-25.   We'll have to see how things play out but as of today I think if remaining games were factored in we would tie with the Dolphins for strength of schedule throwing it to the next tie breaker.

35 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

My nightmare scenario (assuming I have my facts straight) is getting swept by the Giants and they still wind up picking ahead of us/taking Young.  

That could happen a couple ways.   We lose out and the Giants beat us but lose their other two.

Or we lose to the Giants but beat the Cowboys or  Eagles and the Giants beat us and the Dolphins and the Dolphins beat the Bengals.

On 12/10/2019 at 7:50 AM, philibusters said:

Getting the second pick will be hard because it looks like we may lose the tiebreaker against both the Giants and Dolphins.   Thus we need the Giants to beat us and the Dolphins and for the Dolphins to pick up another win somewhere.  With only 3 games left that doesnt seem likely.  Plus our schedule of the struggling Eagles, Giants, and Cowboys gives us a chance in arguably all three games.  I doubt we would win all 3 but its definitely possible we win at least one of them.  At this point I am not expecting the number 2 pick.

Good summation. I'd say it's an 80% chance at this point that the Giants pick before us. If we win any one of our next 3 games the #2 pick will almost certainly be out of reach - Giants have to win 2. 

At this point, I'd consider the 2nd pick gone and focus on number 3, which means rooting for Miami to beat the NYG.  It is just much more likely that we cement at least #3 going that route.  As ****ty as our division is, we can't count on the Giants beating Philly week 17 because Philly is at least still in the race and should be much more motivated.

As much as I hate to admit it, rooting for Dallas might be the only path we have to getting the #2 pick.  If the Giants do beat us but lose to Miami, we need Philly as unmotivated as possible in Week 17 when they play the Giants.  That means Dallas beating Philly and locking up the division in Week 16.  I might have to hold my nose for this one.

On 12/10/2019 at 8:12 PM, Forehead said:

What I don't know is if the OP counts teams not yet played.

I think he uses Tankathon and that site takes all 16 opponent's records as of today and then solves for the weakness of schedule.

NFL.com, ESPN, and others don't do that so you will see different SOS numbers at those sites.

2 hours ago, Forehead said:

At this point, I'd consider the 2nd pick gone and focus on number 3, which means rooting for Miami to beat the NYG.  It is just much more likely that we cement at least #3 going that route.  As ****ty as our division is, we can't count on the Giants beating Philly week 17 because Philly is at least still in the race and should be much more motivated.

As much as I hate to admit it, rooting for Dallas might be the only path we have to getting the #2 pick.  If the Giants do beat us but lose to Miami, we need Philly as unmotivated as possible in Week 17 when they play the Giants.  That means Dallas beating Philly and locking up the division in Week 16.  I might have to hold my nose for this one.

They could beat miami and us and we get number 2.

33 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

How do you pick after a team that beat you head to head and has the same won loss record? Thought we had the same  schedule?

Currently the Giants strength of schedule is weaker. It's because we had to play the 49ers and they got to play the Cardinals, which is a pretty massive swing(they played a stronger NFC South opponent in the Bucs as opposed to us playing the Panthers but that's not as big of a difference).

Fins SoS will likely be higher once the season ends since they're in the same division as the Pats and Bills and they played them twice each while we only played them once each. Unsure about that though. But they also play the Bengals next week which is a likely W anyway.

Had a long day. Will update tomorrow. But quick notes:

We're now tied with Miami for SoS as of right this moment. So Miami's loss hurt us this week, but may benefit us if the Giants sweep up, because then they would be firmly behind us.

Also, pull for the Bills tonight. A Bills win will put as back ahead of Miami by increasing their SoS.

1. Draft-Order Update: It was a big day as the Dolphins moved up into the third spot on tie-breakers against Washington. They have the same strength of schedule (.491, as the site tankathon.com shows) - but the second-tie-breaker is head-to-head outcome. Since the Dolphins lost to Washington earlier this year, they get third place - barely and for now.

Ad Choices

PAID POST

1. Cincinnati (1-13, .568 strength of schedule) lost badly to New England.

2. New York Giants (3-11, .471) beat the Dolphins — and stay in second place due to strength-of-schedule tie-breaker.

3. Miami (3-11, .491) lost to the Giants.

4. Washington (3-11, .491) lost to Philadelphia.

5. Detroit (3-10-1) lost to Tampa Bay.

The Giants “win” tiebreakers to pick earlier because their opponents’ strength of schedule — a prioritized factor over head-to-head results — is significantly worse than others at the bottom. Only five of the Giants’ 11 losses are against teams currently in playoff positions.

Why does it matter?

Well, the Giants are desperate for pass-rushers and Ohio State’s Chase Young is considered a can’t-miss prospect. The Bengals are expected to target a quarterback, perhaps Heisman winner Joe Burrow, at No. 1.

But the Giants visit the Redskins next week, and one team likely will win its way out of the top five picks. The Giants won the first meeting, 24-3, before dropping nine straight.

The Giants drafted No. 2 (Saquon Barkley) and No. 6 (Daniel Jones) in the past two first rounds. The last time they had three straight top-10 picks was 1979-81, which produced Phil Simms, Mark Haynes and Lawrence Taylor.

https://nypost.com/2019/12/15/nfl-draft-giants-chances-at-no-1-pick-take-hit/

Archived