Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2020 Draft Positioning Thread: We're #2!

GhostofSparta

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

They'll get at least one more dub at our expense

I would agree 100% if Saquon didn’t just get hurt. He hasn’t looked right since coming back from his injury earlier this season. They might shut him down for the year.

I know we lost to them without Saquon earlier this year, but I’m not confident we’ll lose twice. 

11 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

We play them in 3 weeks so it doesn't really matter.

Why wouldn’t it matter?  The more our opponents lose, the lower SOS percentage we have, which means we’d win the tie-breaker against teams with the same record as us at the end of the year. 

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Why wouldn’t it matter?  The more our opponents lose, the lower SOS percentage we have, which means we’d win the tie-breaker against teams with the same record as us at the end of the year. 

Uncommon opponents to impact SoS will probably be a feature around week 15, but for right now that's just too much extra work with this much season left.

55 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

All I'm saying is it can only help us for the Panthers to lose rather than win. 

We play the packers and play the Panthers.  With them playing each other 1 team will increase our opponents wins by 1 and the other 1 loss.  

After 16 games the change in SOS mathematically is the same whether the packers or Panthers win.

Edit: just for clarification, it isn't opponent strength the week we play them.  It's over the entire 16 game schedule.  So Panthers losing technically helps, but not if it's to another team on our schedule.  Ravens beating Pats last week helped since we dont play the ravens and it lowered the pats record giving them a 'weaker' record.

45 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

We play the packers and play the Panthers.  With them playing each other 1 team will increase our opponents wins by 1 and the other 1 loss.  

After 16 games the change in SOS mathematically is the same whether the packers or Panthers win.

Edit: just for clarification, it isn't opponent strength the week we play them.  It's over the entire 16 game schedule.  So Panthers losing technically helps, but not if it's to another team on our schedule.  Ravens beating Pats last week helped since we dont play the ravens and it lowered the pats record giving them a 'weaker' record.

I know it’s over a 16-game schedule. A Panthers loss helps because one of the teams we’re competing against for a top pick is the Giants, who we could definitely end up sharing the same record with at the end of the season. The Giants play the Packers, like us, but they don’t play the Panthers. Therefore, we wanted the Panthers to lose instead of the Packers because it helped lower our SOS relative to the Giants’.  

At the end of the day, it likely won’t matter, but why not root for an outcome that helps you, however minor that help is?  For example, I’m rooting for the Cowboys to lose this game against the Vikings... not just because I hate Dallas, but also because them winning has a double-whammy effect on increasing our SOS percentage, since we play them twice. In that case, I’m worried about our SOS relative to the other terrible teams we’re competing against, not the Giants, since the Giants also play Dallas twice. 

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I know it’s over a 16-game schedule. A Panthers loss helps because one of the teams we’re competing against for a top pick is the Giants, who we could definitely end up sharing the same record with at the end of the season. The Giants play the Packers, like us, but they don’t play the Panthers. Therefore, we wanted the Panthers to lose instead of the Packers because it helped lower our SOS relative to the Giants’.  

At the end of the day, it likely won’t matter, but why not root for an outcome that helps you, however minor that help is?  For example, I’m rooting for the Cowboys to lose this game against the Vikings... not just because I hate Dallas, but also because them winning has a double-whammy effect on increasing our SOS percentage, since we play them twice. In that case, I’m worried about our SOS relative to the other terrible teams we’re competing against, not the Giants, since the Giants also play Dallas twice. 

But it might hurt us against ______ team.  Maybe Miami or jets or whatever.  If you're looking at every possible outcome, cool.  

Archived