Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2020 Draft Positioning Thread: We're #2!

GhostofSparta

25 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Clowny wasnt #1 pick by accident and did make some pro bowls.  I dont know if that floor is worth it, Young hasnt played his final season, either.

A lot of folks with potential to be dominant that werent, we also have a lot of holes.  Swing and a miss on this guy, and our next pick isnt until the third round.

No, I meant Clowney literally sat an entire year out of football and then declared. Right, unless I'm crazy? People were worried it would become a trend. 

25 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I look at our oline and cant justify defense over protecting Haskins.  Want to wait until he becomes next Andrew Luck?

This is how you miss out on superstars to draft needs.

3 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

No, I meant Clowney literally sat an entire year out of football and then declared. Right, unless I'm crazy? People were worried it would become a trend. 

No, Clowney didn't sit out. He did seem to half-ass it his junior year though. There were some injuries and there was widespread speculation he was simply playing not to get hurt. His junior year stats pale in comparison to his freshman or sophomore year. As fate would have it, he also spent much of his NFL rookie season hurt.

Of course one could also make the comparison of Young to Von Miller. Or hell, even Nick Bosa isn't that far off. You might be thinking of Nick Bosa, who withdrew from Ohio State a few games into his junior year (though was also injured) to prepare for the NFL draft

52 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

That's a point that's valid that I didnt care about.  Hes not the only pass rusher that was supposed to be the second coming.

52 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

This is how you miss out on superstars to draft needs.

I'm not talking about needing a kicker, I'm talking about needing a LT to protect our franchise QB. 

You can win superbowl without HOF pass rushers, you cant win without a QB.  Those three are top three needs for any team, and here we took a first round pass rusher last year and forgot his name because he keeps being asked to be a coverage linebacker.

Khalil Mack is missing the playoffs this year.  So is his former team that dealt him for draft picks.

This guy Young might be the truth, but we have a lot of problems and no second round pick or LT.  This reminds me of the arguement that the Giants made the right move drafting Barkely because he was a cant miss talent.  He is, and the giants had the same record as us walking into today's game. 

I was wrong saying they were right the draft Barkely, but their front office is so lost, trading down wouldnt of mattered.  I'm having trouble even thinking about the draft until I'm sure someone else is making the picks.

4 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Ironic, isn’t it? All those years of me posting on here about how the idea of tanking is stupid but the one year that there actually is a player in the draft who is guaranteed to single handedly win you multiple Super Bowls and the Redskins are going to get him.

Is this sarcasm?, obviously there isn't any player coming out who is guaranteed to win you multiple superbowls so I can only assume it is.

The Chase argument is an interesting one. Were the glory Redskins better for having Jacoby and the Lachey or were the Giants better for getting Taylor? Parcel's Giants tended to be the one team that really gave Gibbs fits. So, on the scale of best player available plus need I think I would have to go with Chase from the limited I know.

Chase is by far considered the best player (I think) and with Kerrigan getting long in the tooth, the need for another pass rusher increases. Now, if Thomas or the best left tackle in the draft was a sure Jacoby, Lachey, Williams, or Samuels, then the argument gets tougher. On the other hand, we've had A LOT of elite pro bowl left tackles and wound up with stinky teams. And for this year, a cast off like Donald Penn seemed serviceable... so, if he's available and as good as advertised, give me the killer on defense that will make coordinators stay up at night.

8 minutes ago, Burgold said:

The Chase argument is an interesting one. Were the glory Redskins better for having Jacoby and the Lachey or were the Giants better for getting Taylor? Parcel's Giants tended to be the one team that really gave Gibbs fits. So, on the scale of best player available plus need I think I would have to go with Chase from the limited I know.

Chase is by far considered the best player (I think) and with Kerrigan getting long in the tooth, the need for another pass rusher increases. Now, if Thomas or the best left tackle in the draft was a sure Jacoby, Lachey, Williams, or Samuels, then the argument gets tougher. On the other hand, we've had A LOT of elite pro bowl left tackles and wound up with stinky teams. And for this year, a cast off like Donald Penn seemed serviceable... so, if he's available and as good as advertised, give me the killer on defense that will make coordinators stay up at night.

Agree.  To me what makes the decision easy is Chase Young and Andrew Thomas aren't comparable players.   If they were it would be a more interesting conversation. 

I think the other thing about getting a possible game changer like Chase Young is that if you have Allen, Payne, Ionadis, and Sweat already aboard and you are dangling candy for a top head coach prospect (especially, a defensive minded head coaching prospect) adding a prospect like Young might just be too enticing to say no to.

54 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Didnt the Hogs go to four super bowls and LT only two?  

Yep Saquon thank you for your efforts yesterday. 😀

https://nypost.com/2019/12/22/giants-chase-young-dream-likely-disappears-with-2020-schedule-picture/?utm_campaign=iosapp&utm_source=twitter_app

“I think we showed we have grit and heart,” running back Saquon Barkley said. “A lot of people probably wanted us to lay down and lose for draft picks.”

41 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think the other thing about getting a possible game changer like Chase Young is that if you have Allen, Payne, Ionadis, and Sweat already aboard and you are dangling candy for a top head coach prospect (especially, a defensive minded head coaching prospect) adding a prospect like Young might just be too enticing to say no to.

This is a better arguement, but doesnt matter until we see who replaces Bruce.  This organization has a systematic level of dysfunction. You need someone willing to gut the roster for cap space, then you can convince a coach to say look at the talent we have to work with plus money and picks to fill it out.

I get we're all ready to flip the table already, but this Chase Young thing has become so cart before the horse, I feel like keep walking into the same arguement where any other idea except him is a bad one.  Chase isnt a bad idea, I dont believe hes the best one based on what we know right now.

Yall going to go ballistic if Manusky stays and see Young and Sweat in coverage, dont think it cant happen.

21 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

This is a better arguement, but doesnt matter until we see who replaces Bruce.  This organization has a systematic level of dysfunction. You need someone willing to gut the roster for cap space, then you can convince a coach to say look at the talent we have to work with plus money and picks to fill it out.

Agree with this.

I get we're all ready to flip the table already, but this Chase Young thing has become so cart before the horse, I feel like keep walking into the same arguement where any other idea except him is a bad one.  Chase isnt a bad idea, I dont believe hes the best one based on what we know right now.

Tough for me to see what we will learn that we don't already know now aside from injuries.   The players have a lot of tape.  Combine/senior bowl can change some minds but it usually isn't big especially at the tippy top of the draft.  The draft is subjective.  No guarantees. 

The Chase Young stuff ironically reminds me a little of the Barkley discussion on the draft thread 2 years ago.  We all loved him, it wasn't hard to see he would be special.  It as a rare obvious example.  Even Gettleman would joke even his mother who knows nothing about football could see Barkley's greatness, it was tough to miss.   Only issue with Barkley was the value of a RB.  That's not a problem with a pass rusher. 

We typically don't have a shot to draft a star like that.   They don't come out that often in drafts and when they do they typically go top 3 and we almost never have a top 3 pick.  Chase Young IMO (and plenty of others opinion) is that kind of player.  He's a slam dunk star.  It's not like deciding whose better Fowler or Scherff and the typical stuff we wonder about in advance of a draft.  We typically wonder about variations of 8 out of 10 level type of prospects where we hope they fall to us and emerge in the NFL as a 10.  Young looks like a 10 from the outset.  It would be rare for us to play in this pond.  It's so rare for us that I am almost superstitious to talk about it too much, don't want to jinx it.  😀

Yall going to go ballistic if Manusky stays and see Young and Sweat in coverage, dont think it cant happen.

Hopefully Finlay is right when he said they are switching to a 4-3.  When you play some 3-4 an OLB almost always has to go into coverage that's part of the defense otherwise you are rushing 5 players on every play.  I don't think much of Manusky but the problem in a OLB going to coverage is the 3-4 system.  You play 4-3 then it doesn't happen.  So hopefully Finlay is right.

But yeah don't get me wrong.  If Bruce is back and the FO structure doesn't change then Chase Young does nothing for my morale. 

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Tough for me to see what we will learn that we don't already know now aside from injuries.   

You make a lot of sense, then answer your own question, so at least we in the same page : )

But yeah don't get me wrong.  If Bruce is back and the FO structure doesn't change then Chase Young does nothing for my morale. 

There are some things I need to see in place before I say let's get Chase instead of compensating for the realities of this organization.  Folks up in here talking about doing another franchise tag game but with our best offensive linemen left, our priorities are so F'd that Chase alone cannot save us.  They gotta get Bruce out first, then see what the new guy does to make this environment where Young takes us over the top, not jus say we have a great player and never sniffing the playoffs because we so stupid we lost two of our best offensive linemen playing poker.

Redskins

Chase Young

EDGE, Ohio State

Well, well, well, what do we have here? For a while now the New York Giants were the ones in possession of a very coveted second-overall pick. But after their most recent win over the Washington Redskins, that is no longer the case.

The Redskins have many needs along the trenches. I would say their need at offensive tackle is more dire than their need at edge rusher. However, the gap in talent between Chase Young and any offensive tackles in this class makes up the difference for Young to be the pick.

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

He has one sack this year, never had 10 in a season nor a single one in the postseason.  For a #1 overall pick?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jadeveon_Clowney

Clowney has 3 sacks this season... https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/16734/jadeveon-clowney

He also made the pro- 3 of his first 5 years.  But at the same time given the hype he had, he hasn't lived up to it.  He has not been a bust, but in terms of number 1 overall picks he is right in the middle.

12 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You make a lot of sense, then answer your own question, so at least we in the same page : )

There are some things I need to see in place before I say let's get Chase instead of compensating for the realities of this organization.  Folks up in here talking about doing another franchise tag with our best offensive linemen left, our priorities are so F'd that Chase alone cannot save us.  They gotta get Bruce out first, then see what the new guy does to make this environment where Young takes us over the top, not jus say we have a great player and never sniffing the playoffs because we so stupid we lost two of our best offensive linemen playing poker.

I agree with all of this.  It's not to me that Chase takes us to the SB but I do believe a killer pass rusher is a game changer. The last dude we had like that was Dexter.  It's been a long time.    Also, we have a lot of good players, not much great IMO.  Actually having potentially a top 10-20 type player on this roster would be a novelty.  

I see some Clowney talk here.  😀I think the Bosa comparisons are a better comp to Young than Clowney.  Clowney got a lot of hype.  That's true.  But Young had more sacks this season (missing 2 games to boot) than Clowney did in his last two years combined in school. 

8 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Clowney has 3 sacks this season... https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/16734/jadeveon-clowney

He also made the pro- 3 of his first 5 years.  But at the same time given the hype he had, he hasn't lived up to it.  He has not been a bust, but in terms of number 1 overall picks he is right in the middle.

Got it, I read somewhere else he only had one this year, but you still made my point for me.  He hasnt lived up to the hype and now hes on another team, that's always a risk even with sure fire players.

What we gonna start seeing over and over again while in this slot is mocks like @Skinsinparadise posted acknowledging how much dire straits our oline is in then in same breath saying Young is worth it.  If you ask me right now, I'd say no, but we havent even got a new GM or hit free agency yet. 

13 hours ago, Doctorfro said:

Skins fans seem to think the #2 pick is going to be our savior. Lotta talk about something that will have very little value in the scope of our future success/failure. 

What if Chase doesn't declare? Maybe another team wants that spot? Plus you will be picking 2nd on every round and I think people forget about that. The whole draft matters not just the 1st round.

Taking an O-Lineman isn't such a sure thing to be good, even with trading back. We're as likely to get another Luke Joeckel as we are to get Eric Fisher. We have the chance to get the next person with as much star power as Von Miller or JJ Watt. We've spent a decade complaining that we passed on them. I hope we don't feel the same about Young for the next decade.

Archived