Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2020 Draft Positioning Thread: We're #2!

GhostofSparta

On 12/12/2019 at 6:18 PM, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

They could beat miami and us and we get number 2.

Chase Young has hinted that he's returning to school, which actually makes the #2 pick even more important.  We could really use that LT from Georgia, or put ourselves in a position where teams are competing against each other for QB#2 in the draft and offering us a boatload of picks.

Our range is #1 to #5 right now, I don't think we can go any lower than #5 no matter what, but given the schedules and teams other folks are playing, I think #2 - #4 is pretty much it.  Lose to the Giants and I'd say forget thinking about #1 overall and just have Miami beat Cincy to lock ourselves in below them.

I suppose rooting for Detroit over Denver would be helpful as well.

1 minute ago, Forehead said:

Chase Young has hinted that he's returning to school, which actually makes the #2 pick even more important.  We could really use that LT from Georgia, or put ourselves in a position where teams are competing against each other for QB#2 in the draft and offering us a boatload of picks.

He's backed off that comment since -- actually he backed off that same day.  Most expect him still to declare. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's backed off that comment since -- actually he backed off that same day.  Most expect him still to declare. 

Did he?  It's been busy the past few days with kids and Christmas shopping, I hadn't seen the retraction.  Thanks for clarifying.

I get the appeal of the kid.  Even as a Penn State guy who hates Ohio State on principal, I can see why so many people want him, though I still think we need the OT from Georgia more.

My anti Ohio State bias still hopes we trade down a bunch for capital next year, flip Haskins, and do whatever it takes to get that QB from Clemson, but I know it isn't happening :)

1 minute ago, Forehead said:

Did he?  It's been busy the past few days with kids and Christmas shopping, I hadn't seen the retraction.  Thanks for clarifying.

I get the appeal of the kid.  Even as a Penn State guy who hates Ohio State on principal, I can see why so many people want him, though I still think we need the OT from Georgia more.

My anti Ohio State bias still hopes we trade down a bunch for capital next year, flip Haskins, and do whatever it takes to get that QB from Clemson, but I know it isn't happening :)

Yep.  He hedged and said he hasn't made up his mind yet and just wants to focus on Clemson.  And then some insider types chimed in and said they expect him to declare.

As for Young my top desire is he doesn't end up a Giant.  Their D line rivals ours and just like us the one missing ingredient is a dominant pass rusher.  The dude IMO will own Morgan Moses.  

17 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

I'm already just as nervous for next Sunday (Redskins vs. Giants and Dolphins vs. Bengals ) as I was for . Week 17 of 2015 (Playoff clincher in Dallas), Not to mention I made my fantasy league's championship game next week.

So...in other words, you're not nervous at all lol...Skins clinched the division a week earlier, in week 16 in 2015, against the Eagles.

4 hours ago, Forehead said:

Chase Young has hinted that he's returning to school,........

Asked to clarify his comment to TMZ, Chase Young said he doesn't actually have a "plan" for 2020 yet. "That moment was just a real spontaneous moment, caught me off-guard. I'm not even really worried anything in the future, I'm just worried about just beating Clemson right now."

3 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

If Young goes back to school he is straight up dumb. The guy is a guaranteed top 2 pick right now. Ask Bryce Love how much he loves his decision to go back. 

I wouldn't go back if I were him either but If I were Chase I'd tell the Bengals and Redskins (if the teams FO situation hadn't changed) that I won't play for them so either trade the pick or pass on me. If they don't then sit the year and reenter the 2021 draft (safer than playing the senior year). 

1 hour ago, zskins said:

Yes. We are now picking #4. :(

OK thought we were tied immediately before the Bills game?  So wouldn't the Bills winning have broken that tie in the Redskins favour (the Dolphins strength of schedule should now be higher)?

It sucks rooting for us to lose but you all know how it is. Seems like Chase Young is a difference maker. 

If we draft him that means we rotate he, Sweat and Ryan Anderson among the 2 outside spots?  Funny thing is Ryan is playing great right now. 

So at this point it does look like Miami will likely get the tiebreaker over us.   Dallas beating the Rams last night killed us.   Also the Giants beating the Dolphins hurt our strength of schedule a lot (even though it was probably a good thing overall).  Whenever your division foes win it is going to hurt your strength of schedule just because those teams all count twice.

1 hour ago, Skinsota said:

It sucks rooting for us to lose but you all know how it is. Seems like Chase Young is a difference maker. 

If we draft him that means we rotate he, Sweat and Ryan Anderson among the 2 outside spots?  Funny thing is Ryan is playing great right now. 

I think so.  I see Young as a possible Kerrigan replacement.

10 hours ago, Forehead said:

though I still think we need the OT from Georgia more.

I understand this sentiment especially considering we have nothing at left tackle and garbage at right but this team has been so starved for truly elite playmakers that I think I'd rather get chase young and patch our line together with later picks and deal with the consequences. 

The potential that mclaurin has is very exciting, couple that with a few more elite level talents at skill positions and maybe we can start getting excited about watching this football team again. 

I'm tired of vanilla I want something with a little flavor for a change.

36 minutes ago, philibusters said:

So at this point it does look like Miami will likely get the tiebreaker over us.   Dallas beating the Rams last night killed us.   Also the Giants beating the Dolphins hurt our strength of schedule a lot (even though it was probably a good thing overall).  Whenever your division foes win it is going to hurt your strength of schedule just because those teams all count twice.

Shouldn't matter if Dolphins pick before us, they more than likely draft QB with there 1st pick. 

I would say 

Bengals QB

Dolphins QB

3rd Pick either Redskins or Giants will get Young. 

HTTR 

36 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I understand this sentiment especially considering we have nothing at left tackle and garbage at right but this team has been so starved for truly elite playmakers that I think I'd rather get chase young and patch our line together with later picks and deal with the consequences. 

The potential that mclaurin has is very exciting, couple that with a few more elite level talents at skill positions and maybe we can start getting excited about watching this football team again. 

I'm tired of vanilla I want something with a little flavor for a change.

I am okay with taking Chase Young over Thomas, but for me it would be hard to stomach taking a receiver over Thomas.   After doing some research for another thread, WR has one of the highest busts rates along with running backs.   Of the 3 WR's who have potential top 10 talent, i feel like Jeudy is the safest of them.  He may not end up the best but I feel he is the least likely to bust.   That said, I would take Thomas over Juedy.   Tackle has a slightly better (lower) bust rate than WR and T is a much bigger need on this team.

Young is so talented and we do need an an OLB to replace Kerrigan so I'd have no issue drafting Young as he would be both the best player available and fill a need.   Also getting the top corner would be okay with me though you'd possible be able to do that and trade down.

9 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Shouldn't matter if Dolphins pick before us, they more than likely draft QB with there 1st pick. 

I would say 

Bengals QB

Dolphins QB

HTTR 

I think that is the conventional wisdom though Tua's injury makes that a little bit less certain.   I think teams know Young is the best player available and teams like Tua but may worry about his injury and may just not feel Herbert is worth the number 2.  If that happens a team like the Dolphins may trade down from 2 to 5 knowing Tua will be available there and some team will want Chase Young.

My instinct is Chase Young will be off the board by 2 because if a team taht wants a QB gets the second pick they will trade down simply because Chase Young puts a premium value on the 2nd pick.

25 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

I would say 

Bengals QB

Dolphins QB

HTTR 

Maybe if Tua comes out which is looking like 50-50 at best judging by buzz.  An Alabama insider type a few days ago said he heard Tua isn't coming out.  but will see.   I doubt they take Herbert over Young. 

3 hours ago, Skinsota said:

New coaches may want to go back to the 4-3 anyways. And you can never have to many pass rushers. Pick young and you have a GREAT core for the 4-3. Payne and IO at DT. Allen and Young at DE. Move Mr. Anderson to a 4-3 OLB. Sweat for depth at DE.  Holcomb looks serviceable at MLB. The possibilities are endless. Now what to do with Kerrigan?

Archived