Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2020 Draft Positioning Thread: We're #2!

GhostofSparta

7 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

What is this source, I find it interesting?  I was about to post how fans have overrated Jonathan Allen, he has been pretty good but certainly not the difference maker we expected on draft day. While I think this is pretty accurate overall having Allen below Sweat is a bit of a head scratcher. 

Profootball focus.  Here's a little more Profootball Focus

32 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

A question for all you fellow Redskins fanatics. 

What would get us more draft picks if we pick at number 2 in draft?. 

Bengals take QB at number one or

Bengals take Young at number one?. 

HTTR 

We get more picks if the Bengals take Chase Young for a couple reasons:

1. Then we really have no reason to stay put. No need to fear "Well, if we trade down for this massive haul so somebody can leapfrog Miami to get a QB, then he probably falls to the Giants at 4 (even if the Lions would trip over themselves to take him if he somehow fell to 3)...."

2. Chase Young gone at 1 means that the best QB is sitting there for the taking at 2. Does somebody want to jump Miami to get him? If so, does Miami want to compensate accordingly to prevent that from happening? At that point, trading down to somewhere between 5-10 still means getting a top talent and getting to restock elsewhere.

Cincy taking Chase at 1 wouldn't be ideal, but it also wouldn't be the worst case scenario.

On 12/25/2019 at 12:19 PM, dyst said:

PFF is not the end all be all but they did call Montez Sweat struggling in the NFL and he certainly has.

I think it is less struggles for Sweat and more that he is being misused.

How can he play to his strengths (attacking the line and going after the QB) when he is being sent out into coverage a lot.

12 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

I think it is less struggles for Sweat and more that he is being misused.

How can he play to his strengths (attacking the line and going after the QB) when he is being sent out into coverage a lot.

Yeah. A 4-3 with DL of Young, Allen, Payne, and Sweat could be really nice.

8 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I don't know why we're not playing our best DL in that scenario. If we drafted Young and went to a 4-3, I'd really explore the tree market for Allen, personally. 

As well as Iionnidas has played I'm not convinced that's not our best DL currently with an awesome rotation with Iionnidas coming in frequently or vice versa. But I'm open to either.

6 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

As well as Iionnidas has played I'm not convinced that's not our best DL currently with an awesome rotation with Iionnidas coming in frequently or vice versa. But I'm open to either.

I believe strongly that he is.

And it's really a waste of resources to have him as backup. Or any of those guys (unless Sweat turns out to be a bust).

On 12/25/2019 at 11:49 AM, markmills67 said:

A question for all you fellow Redskins fanatics. 

What would get us more draft picks if we pick at number 2 in draft?. 

Bengals take QB at number one or

Bengals take Young at number one?. 

HTTR 

Bengals taking Young.

14 minutes ago, dyst said:

I can see Dallas already knowing they are out of the playoff race on Sunday and losing on purpose just to screw over our draft selection spot. Cheeky little ****s.

They won't know, since their game against us and the Philly game are the same time.  The Philly - Dallas tiebreaks are going to tiebreaker #3.  Assuming both teams were to win.

NFL Playoff tiebreaker #1 is head to head.  Philly - Dallas went 1-1 against each other

NFL Playoff tiebreaker #2 is Division record.  Both teams are currently 4-1 in the division.

NFL Playoff tiebreaker #3 is W/L percentage in common games.  The way to figure out this was their uncommon opponents.  Philly lost to both uncommon opponents, Atlanta and Seattle.  Dallas went 1-1, a win over the Rams and a loss to the Saints.  This means in common games, Philly has a one game advantage.

But since both games are at 4:25, Dallas has to play to win.  If Philly loses and they win, they'd get in on tiebreaker #2 with a better division record.  

We just have to be ourselves.

3 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I don't know why we're not playing our best DL in that scenario. If we drafted Young and went to a 4-3, I'd really explore the trade market for Allen, personally. 

DL depth could be our greatest strength. We would never get the value in a trade rather then having Allen and Payne start and Ion and Settle as back ups. That is a monster D Line we can have for years. And concerning our injury history we need that depth.

7 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Are the Packers resting starters against the Lions?

No. They are still playing for a bye week and Home field advantage. 

20 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

DL depth could be our greatest strength. We would never get the value in a trade rather then having Allen and Payne start and Ion and Settle as back ups. That is a monster D Line we can have for years. And concerning our injury history we need that depth.

No, you don't build "depth" by putting a borderline Pro Bowl player on the bench behind 4 straight 1st round picks while the rest of your roster has holes everywhere. That's just a misallocation of resources. 

2 hours ago, The Sisko said:

But in this case winning is losing so they’ll do that without even trying. 

Well we shall see.   If it were a team we didn’t care about like say the Jaguars then perhaps I’d give the Skins a chance to lose by winning but since it is the cowboys - the supposed biggest rival who is playing for a chance at post season I have little doubt the skins will get blown out.  

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

No, you don't build "depth" by putting a borderline Pro Bowl player on the bench behind 4 straight 1st round picks while the rest of your roster has holes everywhere. That's just a misallocation of resources. 

If we could get a good return from trading Allen, I agree we should do it.  But if we don't, I think we'd be okay.  The 49ers have proven you can complete an extremely quick rebuild with "misallocated" resources to the DL, if the QB is good enough.

49ers DL:

Nick Bosa - 1st round pick (2019)

Solomon Thomas - 1st round pick (2017)

DeForest Buckner - 1st round pick (2016)

Arik Armstead - 1st round pick (2015)

Dee Ford - 1st round pick (drafted by Chiefs) (2014)

2 hours ago, Forehead said:

They won't know, since their game against us and the Philly game are the same time.  The Philly - Dallas tiebreaks are going to tiebreaker #3.  Assuming both teams were to win.

NFL Playoff tiebreaker #1 is head to head.  Philly - Dallas went 1-1 against each other

NFL Playoff tiebreaker #2 is Division record.  Both teams are currently 4-1 in the division.

If they both win then there is no tiebreaker since Philly is one game up on Dallas at the moment.

12 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

If they both win then there is no tiebreaker since Philly is one game up on Dallas at the moment.

You're right, I completely ****ed that up, didn't I?  I guess the point remains, Dallas actually has a chance.  We just need to not be ourselves and win a useless game like we've done in the past.

I was so narrowly focused on coming up with reasons for Dallas to be motivated that I overlooked the most obvious thing.  I'm legit reverse-terrified.  It would be such a Skins thing to beat our most hated rival at a time when we need it the absolute least.

12 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

If we could get a good return from trading Allen, I agree we should do it.  But if we don't, I think we'd be okay.  The 49ers have proven you can complete an extremely quick rebuild with "misallocated" resources to the DL, if the QB is good enough.

49ers DL:

Nick Bosa - 1st round pick (2019)

Solomon Thomas - 1st round pick (2017)

DeForest Buckner - 1st round pick (2016)

Arik Armstead - 1st round pick (2015)

Dee Ford - 1st round pick (drafted by Chiefs) (2014)

Because Thomas was such a bust.

Yeah, I don't trade Allen for peanuts, but I can't imagine we wouldn't get a good offer for him. He's well regarded, young and would only cost a new team $2 mil for next year, with the 5th year option for 2021. I wouldn't be surprised if a contender with a need for a boost up front (Green Bay, New Orleans, Seattle, KC) would give up at least a late 1 for him.

Archived