Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2020 Draft Positioning Thread: We're #2!

GhostofSparta

I’m curious what people would expect in return if we traded to #3 with Detroit?

1 hour ago, dckey said:

If the Giants offered 2 1's and a 2 for Chase would you do it?

I’m not giving Young to the Giants.  Period.

But in general, Simmons/Okudah plus a 1st and 2nd would be a nice haul (so trading with Detroit or Miami maybe).  

25 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Sweat -- Ioan/Allen/Payne -- Young

That could be an absolutely terrifying front if we get the right coach who knows how to use them. Who the hell do you double team? 

Think you meant to switch Allen and Payne, but I definitely agree. Rivera would be the right coach for that front. Hopefully KOC stays at OC. 

4 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

OK, I'll bite. What's a "Scantling"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scantling

Not sure why we'd want the Giants to throw in shipbuilding dimensions but I suppose it couldn't hurt.

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Think you meant to switch Allen and Payne, but I definitely agree. Rivera would be the right coach for that front. Hopefully KOC stays at OC. 

Oh I wasn't putting them in specific spots. Just saying they would be interchangeable as interior DL.

4 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Their big WR who would compliment Terry Mac perfectly....We'd be set at WR with him and our other rooks. 

The Giants have no such player. I can only assume you mean Valdes-Scantling, who is on the Packers and is so mediocre that I don't know why he'd even be worth bringing up in this discussion. 

1 hour ago, arftech said:

Foster is back next year>. The D potentially on paper could be nasty.

Right now I think the d-line is a pretty good one. Sweat, Allen, Ioannidis, can create havoc for any o-line.

Its the secondary /LBers that need an overhaul. Maybe Nicholson keep, but the rest are jags.

Why I dunno, but something in my head is telling me Young will be a disappointment; I could be wrong, but its just a feeling. With help needed with o-line and secondary, trading the pick would certainly garner some good future picks to help rebuild this team. I'm not sold on Haskins, but if Cincy takes Young, they cannot afford to pass up on Burrow; HE is that generational player, and then trade Haskins. Problem is, Haskins wouldn't be much of a draw in trade talks.

10 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

The Giants have no such player. I can only assume you mean Valdes-Scantling, who is on the Packers and is so mediocre that I don't know why he'd even be worth bringing up in this discussion. 

My bad....Slayton. Blame it on age and drinking.....Slayton, he would be perfect opposite Terry Mac.

4 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I’d trade only to Miami for 5, 18 and 25

Watch out for Oakland....Gruden is gonna make a play for a QB and he has lots of picks to offer. 

6 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Right now I think the d-line is a pretty good one. Sweat, Allen, Ioannidis, can create havoc for any o-line.

Its the secondary /LBers that need an overhaul. Maybe Nicholson keep, but the rest are jags.

Why I dunno, but something in my head is telling me Young will be a disappointment; I could be wrong, but its just a feeling. With help needed with o-line and secondary, trading the pick would certainly garner some good future picks to help rebuild this team. I'm not sold on Haskins, but if Cincy takes Young, they cannot afford to pass up on Burrow; HE is that generational player, and then trade Haskins. Problem is, Haskins wouldn't be much of a draw in trade talks.

Collins and Dunbar have been great. The rest serviceable at best.

As for Burrow being generational? No. He's had a good year, and worth the number 1 to Cincinnati. But Trevor Lawrence is generational. Tua is borderline. Burrow is not on their level. Foolish to trade Haskins right now.

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

My bad....Slayton. Blame it on age and drinking.....Slayton, he would be perfect opposite Terry Mac.

Watch out for Oakland....Gruden is gonna make a play for a QB and he has lots of picks to offer. 

He doesn't really. He's got the 12th and 19th. Not nearly enough ammo to move up to two nor would I want to drop that far down.

2 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Collins and Dunbar have been great. The rest serviceable at best.

As for Burrow being generational? No. He's had a good year, and worth the number 1 to Cincinnati. But Trevor Lawrence is generational. Tua is borderline. Burrow is not on their level. Foolish to trade Haskins right now.

I could live with Dunbar, forgot about him, but Collins has been invisible in games. Maybe with a better DC he would improve,

But Burrow IMO is much better suited for the NFL than Haskins is. Haskins just doesn't have enough college experience, and its translated onto the field. Right now the WR corp is good, and Burrow coming in would make McLaurin a bonafide star.

13 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

I could live with Dunbar, forgot about him, but Collins has been invisible in games. Maybe with a better DC he would improve,

But Burrow IMO is much better suited for the NFL than Haskins is. Haskins just doesn't have enough college experience, and its translated onto the field. Right now the WR corp is good, and Burrow coming in would make McLaurin a bonafide star.

Collins led the team in tackles, and has covered tes quite well. He’s fine. A better coach could get more out of him. Haskins has improved significantly over the course of a few weeks. He will come out firing next year. Get him a FA tight end in the offseason. 

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Sweat -- Ioan/Allen/Payne -- Young

That could be an absolutely terrifying front if we get the right coach who knows how to use them. Who the hell do you double team? 

I think you double Young and pray that your OL wins their 1v1s. Just hoping we actually pick him now lol

8 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Collins led the team in tackles, and has covered tes quite well. He’s fine. A better coach could get more out of him. Haskins has improved significantly over the course of a few weeks. He will come out firing next year. Get him a FA tight end in the offseason. 

Great quote we need a TE this guy hentges looks pretty good for us but look for a difference maker kittle was a 5th rounder.

If you can flip Young for Okudah and Simmons somehow (ex using the high 1st you get for Okudah and then swapping the rest of the package you get to move back to take Simmons), that is definitely worth considering. Both Okudah and Simmons, barring injuries, will be perennial Pro Bowlers / All Pros at the next level and I'd rather have 2 of these guys at premium positions than at 1, especially when you already have a perennial Pro Bowler in Kerrigan you'd have to kick to the curb to make it work with Young.

To those of you who say Kerrigan is not a difference maker, keep in mind he has played out of position his whole career (he was a hand in the ground DE in college) and has played for garbage DC after garbage DC.

If you go into next season with

Kerrigan - Allen/Payne/Ioannidis - Sweat

Foster - Holcomb - Anderson

Okudah - Simmons - Collins - Dunbar

you truly have elite talent across two levels and are at least average at the other level (LB)

With all the cap room you have, if you are able to add Hooper & DJ Humphries (or bring back Trent) and resign Scherff, you have a team with the talent to make a legitimate deep playoff run with the right coaching. I also have strong belief that Kyle, if retained and not messed with too much by Rivera, can continue to build great depth in the draft to pad the team in case of injuries

3 minutes ago, method man said:

If you can flip Young for Okudah and Simmons somehow (ex using the high 1st you get for Okudah and then swapping the rest of the package you get to move back to take Simmons), that is definitely worth considering. Both Okudah and Simmons, barring injuries, will be perennial Pro Bowlers / All Pros at the next level and I'd rather have 2 of these guys at premium positions than at 1, especially when you already have a perennial Pro Bowler in Kerrigan you'd have to kick to the curb to make it work with Young.

To those of you who say Kerrigan is not a difference maker, keep in mind he has played out of position his whole career (he was a hand in the ground DE in college) and has played for garbage DC after garbage DC.

If you go into next season with

Kerrigan - Allen/Payne/Ioannidis - Sweat

Foster - Holcomb - Anderson

Okudah - Simmons - Collins - Dunbar

you truly have elite talent across two levels and are at least average at the other level (LB)

With all the cap room you have, if you are able to add Hooper & DJ Humphries (or bring back Trent) and resign Scherff, you have a team with the talent to make a legitimate deep playoff run with the right coaching. I also have strong belief that Kyle, if retained and not messed with too much by Rivera, can continue to build great depth in the draft to pad the team in case of injuries

Not sure how we would manage to land Okudah as well as Simmons unless it's some sort of draft wizardry with multiple teams involved. Okudah is a top 10 lock, but probably top 5 and Simmons may well be a top 10 pick too. 

As far as Kerrigan, he has been a consistent and very good player but he isn't elite and IMO isn't a difference maker...a difference maker meaning a guy that the other team has to game plan for, double team, etc. Kerrigan rarely ever gets doubled. Also remember that he almost always plays on the strong side so is going against less talented RTs. He also seems to only make plays in spurts and he tends to start off slow. I love him as a Redskin and he seems like a great dude but he's very far from irreplaceable. I'd draft Young, move Sweat to LDE/LOLB and use Anderson as a rotational guy there as well as he's shown flashes this year. Kerrigan is coming up on his last year of contract so IMO we might want to see if we can get a decent pick for him. 

19 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Not sure how we would manage to land Okudah as well as Simmons unless it's some sort of draft wizardry with multiple teams involved. Okudah is a top 10 lock, but probably top 5 and Simmons may well be a top 10 pick too. 

As far as Kerrigan, he has been a consistent and very good player but he isn't elite and IMO isn't a difference maker...a difference maker meaning a guy that the other team has to game plan for, double team, etc. Kerrigan rarely ever gets doubled. Also remember that he almost always plays on the strong side so is going against less talented RTs. He also seems to only make plays in spurts and he tends to start off slow. I love him as a Redskin and he seems like a great dude but he's very far from irreplaceable. I'd draft Young, move Sweat to LDE/LOLB and use Anderson as a rotational guy there as well as he's shown flashes this year. Kerrigan is coming up on his last year of contract so IMO we might want to see if we can get a decent pick for him. 

On your first point, I am indeed saying that I'd consider trading Young if I were to get a haul of assets that allowed me to get those two. An example is the Dolphins. If you get their first, the Steelers first (which they own) and their second, you may have the draft capital needed to make this scenario happen.

On the second, again, the guy has not been able to focus on just getting after the QB down after down because he has never gotten to play in a D that calls for 4-3 100% of the time. Furthermore, he has not been used to his best potential by Haslett, Barry or Manusky. Under Rivera, would he become a Von Miller type terror? No. However, you can probably count on double digit sacks, which is top echelon for a 4-3 DE / 3-4 OLB. 

Also, Kerrigan's value is at a low right now. You aren't going to get much for him if you trade him now. Maybe a 4th

Archived