Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 hour ago, -JB- said:

Chris Cooley is just bitter because after he was washed all the way up he thought the Redskins would sign him to a contract just because he’s Chris Cooley.  Get rid of that guy.  He’s just as annoying as LaVar.

Cooley always leans towards being a homer.  Not sure why any Redskins fans would hate on him.  It’s rare that he doesn’t try to spin things positively.  He is still relevant and making $ as a result of his affiliation/broadcast gig.  It’s to his detriment to hang the team out to dry.  Entirely different than Lavar.

2 hours ago, -JB- said:

Chris Cooley is just bitter because after he was washed all the way up he thought the Redskins would sign him to a contract just because he’s Chris Cooley.  Get rid of that guy.  He’s just as annoying as LaVar.

That annoyed me to no end. It was like he was using his radio show to audition for the team, then the team doesn't sign him, then he "mistakenly" slips up and says that Scot had a drinking problem on his radio show. 

9 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Giants fans getting a lot of mileage out of Haskins charging for his draft party, and calling himself "future king"

https://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=582676

Getting past some of the biased negativity, they aren’t far off on saying a lot that has been discussed here so I can’t be too mad at them.

2 hours ago, mh86 said:

Getting past some of the biased negativity, they aren’t far off on saying a lot that has been discussed here so I can’t be too mad at them.

Yea they sound just as dumb as some if the Redskins fans we interact with here. 

You know what's wild....on one thread we have just a ****-ton of quotes and videos from NFL reporters and "experts" all giving dozens and dozens of reasons why Haskins is a good draft pick in the 1st round for any QB-needy team, as long as the 1st round pick isn't too high.

And on another thread, we have some fans and some media members saying the only reason the Skins--a QB-needy team--drafted Haskins @ 15 is because Snyder wanted to sell tickets...and because his son went to high school with Haskins. None of the stuff mentioned in this thread apparently played any role.

It's like this thread and the other thread exist in alternate universes lol...

3 hours ago, Llevron said:

Yea they sound just as dumb as some if the Redskins fans we interact with here. 

Haha. But at least one sensible post telling the rest about when Manning pouted on the podium when San Diego drafted him then threw a fit and forced the trade to NY. Hypocrites. 

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Giants fans getting a lot of mileage out of Haskins charging for his draft party, and calling himself "future king"

https://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=582676

https://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=582515

Ok, so full disclosure I was not and am still not a huge fan of this pick - but not for any of the reasons they state. If I were a Giants fan I would be grasping at any straw to help myself feel better about the complete and utter failure the giants draft was, specially day one. They managed to get lower than they should have value with each pick they made. Jones is easily had later in the draft. If you pass on him then you get a true stud at 6 like Ed Oliver, Devin Bush, or Christian Wilkinson on D or Jonah Williams or Christopher Lindstrom on Off. Instead they take Jones at 6 and then follow that up with another reach in Dexter Lawrence. They did a little better with the Deandre Baker pick but overall that was a really poor 1st rd when you consider they had 3 picks. The rest of their draft was just meh. So yea, I would trying to find anything I could to make myself feel better. 

Back to Haskins. The only fair criticism is that he charged for the draft party. I would venture a guess that he is not the only one. And in fairness most players in the current NFL do the same. Last guess and comment on charging, it was more than likely his agents idea. 

The body language? Bull****. He expected to go earlier - he was disappointing he went later as it cost him several $Ms of dollars and again this is just a guess, but I bet his agent was filling him full of he will go 3rd or 6th. I watched the same thing everyone else did - he was relieved but clearly wanted to go higher. Do you want someone who is happy when they expect more and don;t get there? His overall response is that he plans to work hard to prove his detractors wrong. It's amazing the double standard many people have - if guys get all excited people say, he is too emotional, needs to calm down he hasn't done anything yet. If they are stoic then it's he has no heart, he is not interested. It turns out these guys are just people like everyone else. Some show more emotion than others. It really is that simple. 

Now my concerns with Haskins. My biggest knock on him as ap layer are two things - one bigger than the other. The small sample size of work worries me as people now get to see what he likes to do and take it away. And NFL DCs are the best at doing just that. But in fairness he could also be just fine. And OCs are also good at putting guys in a position to succeed. 

My biggest concern with Haskins is he breaks down when he has to move around. He is great while in the pocket. But then again most QBs can pick you apart. But he tends to panic and get very inaccurate. His deep throw is not the best either. Some of this can be coached. Some I am not so sure. I will say that the video @Llevron posted of the film session with Gerry DiNardo ( is awesome and made me start to rethink my position on Haskins. He is a smart guy and seems to understand the NFL like concepts pretty well for a guy with only 1 season experience. But it gets much tougher when you are actually in the NFL. 

As always, he is now a Washington Redskin. So I don't care where he was drafted or what other things are going on, I will root for him to be awesome. And in fairness, the more I see and read I am starting to warm up to him. 

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

And on another thread, we have some fans and some media members saying the only reason the Skins--a QB-needy team--drafted Haskins @ 15 is because Snyder wanted to sell tickets...and because his son went to high school with Haskins. None of the stuff mentioned in this thread apparently played any role.

Because of the reports that Snyder and Allen wanted Haskins, and Smith-Gruden did not. If that's accurate (and Lord knows it's entirely possible Snyder and Allen shoehorned this pick), then it gives me pause. When has Snyder ever forced his way and it turned out well?

Snyder has been so bad as an owner we are automatically conditioned to react negatively to whenever he is mentioned.

Haskins is talented, I've read a lot about him, and seems like he has tremendous potential--but we need to be patient with him. If Snyder goes full Snyder and forces him on the field, it won't turn out well.

Yanno, I think a lot of the criticism about charging for the party and quotes made is a load of ****. Haskins is a hot commodity with his family on board with maximizing his potential, on and off the field. That's just the way of the world these days, and when you consider recent history with other Skins QBs, can't say I blame them. Let his family do the sizzle while DH concentrates on his career.

Been watching a ton of videos on this kid (like everyone else) and damn some people can nitpick like a mofo! Haskins is playing from the waist up, you can see him reading the D, moving for angles and throwing lanes, and when he gets it he pulls the trigger. Sweet, smooth release, he is a decisive passer in a way that Kirk never was that's for sure. I wouldn't go screwing up his game trying to turn him into a dancer, let him continue to learn reading pro defenses and focus more on blocking by the RBs and TEs. I like that I see a lot of plays where he throws his man open or shows great anticipation on a receiver breaking after the ball is in the air. 

My biggest concern at this point (and I'll admit, it is colored by my burned-to-the-bone reflexes of watching the Skins trip on their own dicks) is that Jay is going to try and make Haskins play HIS game instead of crafting a plan that utilizes his skills best. I am expecting snarky press on ego clashes this year in camp, but this kid can play, they gotta let him.

6 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Because of the reports that Snyder and Allen wanted Haskins, and Smith-Gruden did not. If that's accurate (and Lord knows it's entirely possible Snyder and Allen shoehorned this pick), then it gives me pause. When has Snyder ever forced his way and it turned out well?

Snyder has been so bad as an owner we are automatically conditioned to react negatively to whenever he is mentioned.

Haskins is talented, I've read a lot about him, and seems like he has tremendous potential--but we need to be patient with him. If Snyder goes full Snyder and forces him on the field, it won't turn out well.

Listen to what you are saying though. Snyder wanted him SO BAD that he forced us to.......

.....wait until the almost consensus second rated QB in the entire draft fell to us at 15. If anything that tells you Snyder has learned to listen to the people around him. That is cause for praise, not concern. Its not like we didn't need a QB. And a very good one, if not great one, fell to us for free basically. It was a good move. The ONLY way to make it a negative to this Snyder thing. 

Though I do understand the trepidation when it comes to Snyder and Haskins as a pick in general, you have to give credit where it is due and you have to recognize growth where it is obvious. Otherwise you risk doing exactly what the Redskins have done to fail in the past. 

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

The ONLY way to make it a negative to this Snyder thing. 

It's 100% guilt by association. I can just see Snyder awkwardly dancing around a bowling alley with Haskins like he did with Griffin. So much terrible history with him "favoriting" players, anything associated with him just makes my skin crawl.

Yes, it's completely unfair to Haskins--who my all accounts seems like a smart, level-headed, talented player--but we said the same things about Griffin.

5 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

It's 100% guilt by association. I can just see Snyder awkwardly dancing around a bowling alley with Haskins like he did with Griffin. So much terrible history with him "favoriting" players, anything associated with him just makes my skin crawl.

Yes, it's completely unfair to Haskins--who my all accounts seems like a smart, level-headed, talented player--but we said the same things about Griffin.

It is totally unfair to Haskins. And you would be an idiot not to think about the possibility that the Skins are doing it. 

How ****ed up is that?

Saying all of that I really do feel the same way for the most part. So we can hope.....but im not optimistic. I hope HaSKINS is the fated one. The one the legends foretold. The one who will break the cycle lol. But reality is he will likely be another poor sap with hella potential this organization chews up and spits out. But I will be (cautiously) optimistic until I cant be anymore. 

53 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

My biggest concern at this point (and I'll admit, it is colored by my burned-to-the-bone reflexes of watching the Skins trip on their own dicks) is that Jay is going to try and make Haskins play HIS game instead of crafting a plan that utilizes his skills best. I am expecting snarky press on ego clashes this year in camp, but this kid can play, they gotta let him.

I think Jay will struggle to adapt his offense to Haskins.  If it's true that Jay thought less of him, that's likely why.  Jay has some piss poor tendencies with formations.  1st down and Alex Smith is under center...I wonder what play we're running.

That said, the previous OC was demoted.  We've got a new OC who was promoted from QB coach.  People seem high on him.  Maybe some of that awkward scheme and play call stuff will be alleviated?

But that's probably hoping too much.

12 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I think Jay will struggle to adapt his offense to Haskins.  If it's true that Jay thought less of him, that's likely why.  Jay has some piss poor tendencies with formations.  1st down and Alex Smith is under center...I wonder what play we're running.

That said, the previous OC was demoted.  We've got a new OC who was promoted from QB coach.  People seem high on him.  Maybe some of that awkward scheme and play call stuff will be alleviated?

There is a connection with Ohio State HC Ryan Day and O'Connell so I don't think there's going to be an issue adapting to a specific scheme.

On 4/28/2019 at 1:16 AM, volsmet said:

Starting Haskins is tanking, I just want to win a SB. Haskins isn’t a part of that equation. Haskins is our QB because he went to Bullis. Had he gone to HS in Idaho he’d not be here.

I wish I was that rabid a fan.  Without Haskins we aren't even making the playoffs.  Now at least there's hope.

13 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I’ll say this about Haskins and Murray’s “one year of experience” is a bit skewed. Regarding Murray, he actually had prior starting experience at Texas A&M in 2015 and flat out stunk. He started in 8 games and had 121 attempts throwing for 5 TDs and 7 INTs. He lost his starting job, quit,  then transferred to OK. He got some reps in 2017 to spell then Heisman winner, Baker Mayfield and played well albeit only 21 attempts over the season. Murray played incredibly in 2018 but in an offense that remained identical from 2017. No transition. 

Dwayne Haskins, also a transfer, got some 2017 experience but significantly more reps than Murray. He attempted 57 passes but actually had a come-from-behind win vs rival Michigan when he filled in for an injured JT Barrett in the third qtr. now, take in mind that the OSU game was vastly different with Barrett at QB as he was a running QB. Then, before the 2018 season, the entire offense was revamped to a passing team to suit Haskins. Significant transition. 

I’m in no way of claiming Haskins is better than Murray, but when you compare each’s history, Haskins has shown success in playing in two different systems: 2017 (57att 4TD/1INT) vs 2018 but Murray has not: 2015 (121att 5TD/7INT) vs 2018. Or in another way, in one and a quarter seasons yet two different systems, Haskins was great. But Murray, in one and three quarters Murray struggled until he was used in the right system. 

In a sense, it is likely Murray needs to be a particular system QB whereas Haskins should be able to adapt to a wider variety of system concepts. But this “one season starting” argument for both QBs isn’t exactly accurate, IMO. Especially when some pundits used that argument as to why Haskins dropped to #15, but never used the same reference regarding Murray’s experience when he was taken with the first pick. 

46 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I fear Jay may struggle as well, largely because he hates hurry up and prefers his QB under center.  Has he ever successfully groomed a rookie QB, including using him in his first year, effectively? That is the bar now set in the modern NFL... no reason to hold a clipboard for 3 years, and waste the prime years of an athletes life.

Jay may defer to what the new OC wants to do, but I think it will be a mistake to just hand Haskins Jay's old playbook and say here kid, read this for a year. Jay and his offense may well be gone by then, and well, that playbook hasn't served us terribly well. 

It wouldn't be the first time an OC/HC couldn't/wouldn't use his shiny new QB to his strengths, though. Heck, it was the way of the NFL until Cam Newton Kap RG3 Wilson took the league by to storm and were allowed to do their thing, and their teams made the playoffs with rookie/young QBs. They even made it to the big dance. Long time old school OCs minds were blown. 

I want Haskins in sooner than later, if he is allowed to do the same things he did at OSU, and dominated. 

17 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

But...Joe, c'mon.  It's a jersey number and while you're a Redskins legend it's not like you're in the Montana class.  Give the kid the number, make him feel welcome.

Yeah but then he has to admit to himself that his service to the Redskins wasn't worthy of having his number retired and that's not easy for someone to do, I understand why he might not want to give it up.

I've got mixed feelings about Haskins.  I said on the draft thread he was my #2 QB in the draft for months but soured on him after watching 5 games in a row 2 weeks or so ago, in particular the Penn State game. But still I had him as my #3 favorite Qb in the draft when I ranked them just before the draft.  In short, I love his arm and compact delivery.  I got big concerns of what happens when you make him move in the pocket and put pressure on him.  And I agree with the slow feet criticism of him.  I didn't want him at 15 but they took him so I'll back it.   I do think you got to keep swinging for QBs until you get it right.  Hopefully this is the last swing for the next 10-15 years. 

I've had EVERY young QB's back here even when things go awry.  Shuler, Ramsey, Campbell, RG3, Kirk.   Obviously, things didn't end well in those cases for different reasons 😀 but I am a believer in having the backs of every player until there is good reason to abandon ship.  That goes double for young Qb who I think deserve a large sample size.  Heck I've taken plenty of arrows from others here on behalf of these QBs when things go sour.   My point here is even from a dude who is far from infatuated with Haskins, I think we need to give him some rope to sink or swim.  Not every Qb is Mahomes who just lights it up fast and even he sat a year first.

As for Cooley not liking Haskins in his film review.  I don't get why it's an issue.  He reviewed Haskins among other guys before he was drafted.   If Cooley has to be Larry Michael (and I like Larry so its not a shot at him but for me one homer like is enough 😀) then I'd care less about his film reviews and just see it as a PR stunt for the FO.  

The dude is brutally honest.  If you go through his film reviews of their first down-3rd down offense he's actually brutal on Jay's play calling.  And hey I like Jay. And it's clear he likes Jay, too.  So it doesn't flow with what I'd want to hear.  But I want Cooley to be honest and give his opinion.  And even if you don't agree with the dude he's informative.  He broke down every time for example they throw a screen last year was 3rd and long and a ton of info like that.  I don't have time to chart plays like that.  So i find his material enjoyable.  I can care less if his opinion doesn't always jive with the Redskins scouting department or my own opinion.   

Heck Cooley has been right about every FA i recall that he has savaged after the signing.  So i am not always sure that Cooley is the dope when he disagrees with the FO.  The thing about evaluating players as Parcells likes to say is if you get it 50% right, you very good at it.  So everyone will make mistakes.  And if it feels better to some Cooley loves Sweat. 😀

As for the Snyder, Jay, FO dynamic about Haskins.  There is plenty of noise IMO to at least have a question about it.  Keim doubled down on it today as for Jay.  Keim is not a flame thrower type.   It could end up being nonsense.  But it doesn't IMO fit a narrative that hey "get out of here" no way Dan was pushing this.   Yeah it is possible that Dan has zero interest in Haskins and Jay was pushing this all along and talked Dan into it.  We don't know.  But there are enough narratives by national and local reporters where i don't see how we can just dismiss it as 100% nonsense.  I think we can say we don't know.  Just my 2 cents.  But I don't feel like debating the Dan issue because its conjecture and what's the point debating that?  

Back to Haskins, I like his dad's confidence. 😀  And as arguably the biggest hater here before the draft of Daniel Jones (not as a person albeit I do think he's a weird dude but as a player), i am loving all the crying from Giants fans about the pick.  And conversely, I love getting the sense that Haskins feels scorned by being passed over by them and as Springs said will have big games against them.  If they picked Jones, that would really test my ability to get behind our next young QB.  I'd probably figure out a way to do it but it would have been really hard. 😀

https://www.nj.com/giants/2019/04/dwayne-haskins-father-redskins-will-win-super-bowl-very-soon-with-my-son-at-qb-nj-family-had-been-giants-fans.html#comments

Dwayne Haskins’ father: Redskins will win Super Bowl very soon with my son at QB | N.J. family had been Giants fans

12 hours ago, Gibbs828791 said:

Nailed what!! Alex Smith was a bad move? Thats news to me. We were leading the division and the team would be in a great spot this year....now if he knew he was going to get a compound fracture of the leg and his career would be over after 9 games....well then yea he nailed it!

The injury has nothing to do with it, it has to do with what Jay wants his QB's to do on the field and the deficiencies Alex has, Benoit gave us all reasons as to why it would be an issue and he was right.  We played good defense, got turnovers, didn't commit turnovers and we ran the ball effectively, that's how we accumulated those wins early in the season.

I don't want to rehash this, the topic was debated to death and if you weren't there for it I'm sorry, that time has come and gone.

On to the positives and our new QB.

3 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Pure speculation here, but I think it won't turn out well if Dan demands he play, AND Jay makes him run an offense that he is not yet able to run safely and effectively. And then he ends up getting swarmed over by defenses - lets call it deer Heath in the headlights.  If Dan wants Dwayne for week 1, suck it up buttercup - burn your playbook and simply put the kid into a position to succeed. Teach him during the offseason the nuances of Jay's preferred QB play.

Countless other OCs now cater their playbooks to the QB, and it's not just reserved for rookies. Foles led his team to the bowl by being allowed to run his favorite plays.  There is no reason that Jay cannot and this is key, BE PREPARED to do the same, for when he gets the inevitable call from Dan.

And he will get that call, if he puts training wheels on Haskins for too long, proclaiming he is not ready to run an offense tailor made for Andy Dalton.

Archived