Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I tried to stay away from most of the QB's in the draft because I didn't want us to trade up.

In a weak QB class, he fell to #15.  What else am I missing here in regards to Haskins?

The considerable majority of teams picking ahead of us simply weren’t in the market for a QB.  Though a few of them should have been...looking at you Tampa and Cincy.  Add in the surplus of big time pass rushers and the Dolphins moving for Allen and he dropped to us.  

We got lucky...or so it would seem.

18 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

But...Joe, c'mon.  It's a jersey number and while you're a Redskins legend it's not like you're in the Montana class.  Give the kid the number, make him feel welcome.

I'm sure he will. But he's earned the right, I think, to make the kid work for it a little. Having watched Joe as a kid, he may not have been Montana, but he was an incredible, gutty QB for us who got us that first SB, beat the Cowboys often and was a guy you'd go to "war" with. 

Hoping Haskins can be the same kind of player for us. Not being a huge college guy, I haven't seen him play much at all; I can only go by what others say about him, and opinion seems split, as usual. What gives me a little pause is Cooley not being sold on him at all and not agreeing with the pick. Cooley seems to have a good eye for these kinds of things, but hopefully he'll end up being wrong on this one. I like what I've heard so far from the kid, though. Seems like he's smart, confident and a good leader. Time will tell. 

24 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

But...Joe, c'mon.  It's a jersey number and while you're a Redskins legend it's not like you're in the Montana class. 

Took us to back to back Super Bowls winning one and was the NFL MVP in 1982. Not had one of those since.

24 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Give the kid the number, make him feel welcome.

I'm sure he will.

6 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

I'm sure he will. But he's earned the right, I think, to make the kid work for it a little. Having watched Joe as a kid, he may not have been Montana, but he was an incredible, gutty QB for us who got us that first SB, beat the Cowboys often and was a guy you'd go to "war" with. 

Hoping Haskins can be the same kind of player for us. Not being a huge college guy, I haven't seen him play much at all; I can only go by what others say about him, and opinion seems split, as usual. What gives me a little pause is Cooley not being sold on him at all and not agreeing with the pick. Cooley seems to have a good eye for these kinds of things, but hopefully he'll end up being wrong on this one. I like what I've heard so far from the kid, though. Seems like he's smart, confident and a good leader. Time will tell. 

Cooley is impressionable at times and an optimist. He’ll back away from his staunch stance periodically. 

Buuut... I understand and thought the same thing lol

I agree with "Come on joe" but at the same time dude almost lost the ability to walk in that number. And what are Redskins fans if not sentimental. I thinks its cool for him to want to talk to the kid as long as its just that.

4 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Did Cooley mention which games he saw and in what order he watched them in?  If he saw them out of order, he might not have noticed progression changes from more playing experience?

He said he watched all of them, he actually mentioned how Ohio State fans were heckling him on social media asking "do you even watch him play".

The other person who isn't high on the Haskins pick was Andy Benoit and he knows his stuff, he nailed it with Alex Smith being a bad move.

It doesn't mean both can't be wrong but it would be nice if they were a bit more excited.

I’m on record that I wanted Grier. Went to bat for the guy. But this was under the presumption that Haskins never made it past NY/CIN/MIA. Haskins is the real deal. This is the most fortunate DC has been since the John Wall lottery.  

That being said, I still wouldn’t start him until mid season at the earliest. Let Keenum have his shot at ending Zimmer’s run at head coach in Minnesota under the prime time lights. Can’t stand that guy, and lost all respect for him after his press conference about Daniel Carlson. 

4 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

He said he watched all of them, he actually mentioned how Ohio State fans were heckling him on social media asking "do you even watch him play".

The other person who isn't high on the Haskins pick was Andy Benoit and he knows his stuff, he nailed it with Alex Smith being a bad move.

It doesn't mean both can't be wrong but it would be nice if they were a bit more excited.

Cooley likes to give himself a little wiggle room in case he is wrong... :rofl89:

41 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

The considerable majority of teams picking ahead of us simply weren’t in the market for a QB.  Though a few of them should have been...looking at you Tampa and Cincy.  Add in the surplus of big time pass rushers and the Dolphins moving for Allen and he dropped to us.  

We got lucky...or so it would seem.

The Giants picked before us and didn't take Haskins. Other teams weren't going to pick him because of what he did for only one year and the only year. Skins have no problem having him sit behind Keenum. If Keenum starts blowing and Haskins is somewhat ready then he will get the nod, hopefully. 

From watching highlights, I am so looking forward to seeing a Redskins QB actually sliding around in the pocket to avoid pressure rather than back-peddling or taking off running for his life. He seems to feel pressure and makes adjustments rather than bailing out.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001028979/article/2019-nfl-draft-ten-best-fits-between-team-and-draft-pick

1) Dwayne Haskins, QB, Washington Redskins

Drafted 15th overall (Round 1) out of Ohio State. Redskins owner Daniel Snyder resisted the temptation to mortgage the farm to grab his QB1 in the top 10. He was rewarded for his patience when Haskins inexplicably fell to him in the middle of the first round, giving the team a classic drop-back passer with outstanding arm talent and an array of throws reminiscent of an MLB pitcher (relying on touch, timing and anticipation) that will test the speed, discipline and reaction skills of opposing defenses. Although it might take him a year or so to settle in as the QB1, Haskins gives the Redskins a long-term answer at the position.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap3000001028086/Steve-Smith-Sr-compares-Dwayne-Haskins-to-Dan-Marino

https://amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001028977/article/2019-nfl-draft-redskins-steelers-flourished-giants-floundered?networkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env=&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3Dthe-schein-nine%3Bteam%3Dmia%3Bteam%3Dhou%3Bteam%3Djax%3Bteam%3Dbuf%3Bteam%3Dwas%3Bteam%3Dphi%3Bteam%3Dpit%3Bconf%3Dafc%3Bconf%3Dnfc%3Bdvsn%3Dace%3Bdvsn%3Dacs%3Bdvsn%3Dnce%3Bdvsn%3Dacn%3Bplyr%3Dantonio_brown%3Bplyr%3Dryan_tannehill%3Bplyr%3Dleveon_bell&p.ct=The+Schein+Nine&p.adsm=false&p.tcm=%23000&p.bgc1m=%23EAEAEA&sr=amp

LOVE

1) Washington Redskins

The Redskins showed incredible patience and intelligence en route to dominating the NFL draft. Yes, you read that correctly. Yep, thoseWashington Redskins.

I think Dwayne Haskins can and will be the best quarterback in the 2019 class. Washington didn't panic or succumb to the rumor mill. Team president Bruce Allen and owner Daniel Snyder waited, witnessed foolishness and let the draft come to them, pilfering Haskins with the 15th overall pick. NFL Network's Brian Billick -- a former Super Bowl-winning head coach, lest you forget -- compared Haskins to Drew Bledsoe on my SiriusXM Radio show. I love it. And I think that's the floor, not the ceiling.

And how about Washington trading back into the first round to get stud edge rusher Montez Sweat? Seeing how Sweat's draft stock might've taken a hit for a misdiagnosed heart condition, the Mississippi State product could end up being one of the draft's best values as the 26th overall pick.

Despite a whole bunch of pre-draft chatter about the 'Skins purportedly champing at the bit to trade up in Round 1, they stayed put and ended up getting two potential top-10 talents without a single top-10 pick. That's good drafting, helping the Redskins in 2019 and in the long run.

https://www.hogshaven.com/platform/amp/2019/4/29/18522274/redskins-2019-nfl-draft-recap-tylers-take

Round 1, Pick 15: Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio St. - Staying tight, and letting Dwayne Haskins fall to them at pick 15 was the definition of brilliant. A franchise quarterback on a rookie deal was arguably the Redskins top need, and this was an incredible value vs need pick. I had Haskins ranked as my top quarterback in the draft, and to get him where we did, without having to give up any draft capital, was simply amazing.

Early in the draft process, shortly after the record setting Ohio St. signal caller declared his intentions to enter the NFL Draft, I figured there was no way we’d even sniff him at number 15. He has the entire package as a passer, with plus size, a cannon for an arm, accuracy, the ability to throw from different arm angles and incredible football knowledge. He’s a leader by example, and a guy who makes those around him better. Being that he was passed over by three other quarterback-needy teams within the top half of the draft, Haskins will likely come into the league with a chip on his shoulder, looking to prove to those teams that they made a mistake passing on him - especially the NFC East rival New York Giants.

Tyler’s Take: Absolutely outstanding pick at #15 overall! Quarterback is the most important player on a football team, and the Redskins got a heck of a talent here. Not having to move up in the draft to get him makes this pick even better.

NFL Comparison: Philip Rivers

Grade: A

5 minutes ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

Haskins is going to lead the Redskins to three straight Super Bowl titles, starting this year, and in doing so the Redskins will become the first team in NFL history to accomplish that feat! HTTR!

Hail ya I love the enthusiasm!!.. starting off by beating the pheagels down week one..mark my words!!

5 minutes ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

Haskins is going to lead the Redskins to three straight Super Bowl titles, starting this year, and in doing so the Redskins will become the first team in NFL history to accomplish that feat! HTTR!

Are you on drugs? If so, give me a couple of those. :)

Reporters covering other NFL teamscommented on how poised, calm, articulate, and confident Haskins was at the podium on Friday at The Combine.

Haskins already has very high football IQ and showed the ability to work through all of his progressions, read the defense, and deliver the ball to the right place while at Ohio State. Haskins spoke at length about how he enjoys the process of getting in front of a team's whiteboard to break down game film with them. This is certainly one of the key factors that make Haskins a top quarterback prospect in the 2019 class -- the ability to process defensive coverages both before and after the snap.

Video: Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins says he’s enjoyed having NFL teams go through tape with him and reciee his thought process in reading plays post-snap. pic.twitter.com/gv8T3zWoLs
— Greg Auman (@gregauman) March 1, 2019

While other top quarterback prospects, like Oklahoma's Kyler Murray, have decided not to throw at the Combine on Saturday, Haskins is different. He is confident in his ability to throw the football and he wants to show off his arm talent for evaluators.

“I’ve been throwing for 11-plus years," Haskins said when asked why he decided to throw at The Combine. "It’s all I do.”

Haskins laughed off concerns about his mobility and told reporters he believes he can be "deadly" in the pocket. 

“I’m looking forward to showing I’m the best quarterback in the class," Haskins said.

Haskins knows his game. He's a pocket passer who thrives on accuracy, quick decision making and distributing the football on time where the intended receiver can run after the catch.

"As a quarterback, I think you have to be a distributor," Haskins said. "So I find ways to get the ball to everybody. Me in the pocket is more fun to me than trying to run for a touchdown or running for a first down. I like to see guys make plays.”

9 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't follow college football real close, and I didn't see this answer anywhere, but what's the reason Haskins only played one year in college ?

Last on the depth chart i believe 

4 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Nailed what!! Alex Smith was a bad move? Thats news to me. We were leading the division and the team would be in a great spot this year....now if he knew he was going to get a compound fracture of the leg and his career would be over after 9 games....well then yea he nailed it!

http://www.espn.com.au/college-football/story/_/id/25638990/dwayne-haskins-ohio-state-buckeyes-feels-ready-play-nfl

"I felt I was the best quarterback in the country regardless of what Herbert did," Haskins said. "I'm happy he made that decision for himself, but the decision had nothing to do with me."

Despite just one year of playing experience, Haskins has no worries about adapting to the mental side of the NFL.

"I'm extremely confident. I'd kill the board [to write plays on]. I love protections, I love plays," he said. "If you don't like that being a quarterback, you're not going to last long. Everyone can throw a football, but if you can't ID fronts, if you can't see pressure, you're not going to last long.

"You have to learn how to love to watch film, be able to learn how to love protections at the end of the day, because that's what will make you last. I could write a book on protections, honestly."

7 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

All I'm doing is taking his explanation and defining his terminology/slowing it down.  I could listen to Dwayne break down his film all day.  He gives such a great window into the way he thinks and feels out the game.  Like that guy said, Dwayne is one of the best prospecty at explaining what's going on and what he was reading that I've heard.  He could be a good teacher.

You just gave me a thought. In that video, Haskins is basically viewing TV clips; not even All22 type game-tape, right?  Yet he is recollecting very well many plays that happened, what? one or two weeks prior?  Pretty sharp, I’d say. But it gets better because his visual perspective during the game is lateral, not top-down like a TV angle. Let that sink in for a while. Thats two different perspectives. But it gets better. During game time, theres only a few seconds to diagnose a look. Snap the ball, wait to see how the D reacts, then run or pass. Thats amazing! I have to believe that Haskins is a special kind of smart. I think we’ve all heard he was good at reading defenses and the result was high percent completion. But, I never imagined he would be a Kasparov type QB. I have a feeling he could easily handle being the starter week 1. 

What I also liked was his candidness and humility when he admitted he mis-read something but was able to adjust and still get positive yards. Or, when his TE didn’t go out and run his route but stayed in to block, Haskins didn't throw him under the bus. Just simply acknowledged the broken play and scrambled to get positive yards. 

Archived