Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Just face reality all of you Haskins believers....this was a wasted pick by dan snyder had not us taken him in the first he probably woulda fell to the third, its fine though we gave up nothing to get him but now if we are a smart organization you realize that wasting a roster spot on a professional football team on someone who cant play up to speed is useless, practice squad him with our high pick in 2020 take a qb of the new coaches liking and let them

duke it out best qb will start and we will have a decent back up one who still knows the system but both will be YOUNG.

Just now, CjSuAvE22 said:

Just face reality all of you Haskins believers....this was a wasted pick by dan snyder had not us taken him in the first he probably woulda fell to the third, its fine though we gave up nothing to get him but now if we are a smart organization you realize that wasting a roster spot on a professional football team on someone who cant play up to speed is useless, practice squad him with our high pick in 2020 take a qb of the new coaches liking and let them

duke it out best qb will start and we will have a decent back up one who still knows the system but both will be YOUNG.

Genius!!! Wait, what?

The Haskins situation has many elements that stem from poor management/player evaluation. As far as Haskins as a person, he seems like a pretty cool guy. But as a football fan there is no logical way that he should've been selected where he was given the things we know now regarding the poor fundamentals and mechanics. We as fans are not paid to evaluate such characteristics but we know who is. So what is the reasoning for selecting basically a developmental QB with the 15th pick of the draft? To hope we can correct his fundamentals in hopes that he can reach his full potential. Drafting a player or specifically a QB that high, fundamentals should be mandatory. Spending a first round pick on someone you have to fix as soon as they step foot in the building is unacceptable. All of these things that have come out like can't read what coverage the defense is in pre snap, poor footwork, and such are things that should have been picked up on way before the draft. The thought process that we lack in every evaluation phase is laughable. I will fall on the sword and say it right now that we need to stop wasting our time and prepare to not make the same mistake we have made this time, no projects should be picked in the first round period. We need players we can build around not build up, and i am sorry folks Haskins does not fit in that category.

I’d just like to go on record that I’ve been wondering for years, how on earth Robert Henson ever earned the right to have some type of voice about the Redskins?

This dude is always blabbing.  I gotta give it to him to though, for being so insignificant yet still having his name brought up.  

With drama so prevalent here it gets hard to recall, but didn’t he get called out for saying he had talked to players that didn’t really talk to him, when he originally was trying to get his name out there?  

58 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  Part of it for me is to see what Haskins' has. The preseason isn't that telling IMO.   Haskins numbers wise in the preseason were mediocre but showed flashes.   Preseason is obviously much easier to shine in -- vanilla defenses versus backups, etc -- Daniel Jones looked like Tom Brady in the preseason and that would be an understatement -- he had if I recall some insane 80% plus completion rate.   Let see some flashes in the the regular season.  if Haskins shows similar flashes in the regular season then he did in the preseason then I'd be encouraged. 

My point is I wouldn't have to raise the bar that high for Haskins or any rookie QB in the regular season but look for flashes.  We just need to see flashes IMO.  I'd play it out.  There is a chance they'd be in position to take Tua in the next draft.  Yes it would be crazy to take Qbs in back to back drafts and am hoping we don't have to do that.   But I'd like to see what we got with Haskins.  And it's not that am negative on him.  I am unsure and if I pushed on a leaning -- I'd lean positive.  But I do want to see what we got.  

Agreed on all points, but I am leaning negative.  And not because he **** the bed in the Giants game...but the nugget that Russini offered earlier that the football people at the Redskins liked Jones first.  But Snyder and Allen swooped in and wanted Haskins.

That's all to say that if Snyder and Allen told me that the sky was blue I'd have to disagree on principle.  

25 minutes ago, DmvE said:

The Haskins situation has many elements that stem from poor management/player evaluation. As far as Haskins as a person, he seems like a pretty cool guy. But as a football fan there is no logical way that he should've been selected where he was given the things we know now regarding the poor fundamentals and mechanics. We as fans are not paid to evaluate such characteristics but we know who is. So what is the reasoning for selecting basically a developmental QB with the 15th pick of the draft? To hope we can correct his fundamentals in hopes that he can reach his full potential. Drafting a player or specifically a QB that high, fundamentals should be mandatory. Spending a first round pick on someone you have to fix as soon as they step foot in the building is unacceptable. All of these things that have come out like can't read what coverage the defense is in pre snap, poor footwork, and such are things that should have been picked up on way before the draft. The thought process that we lack in every evaluation phase is laughable. I will fall on the sword and say it right now that we need to stop wasting our time and prepare to not make the same mistake we have made this time, no projects should be picked in the first round period. We need players we can build around not build up, and i am sorry folks Haskins does not fit in that category.

This is so spot on. Admittedly I'm not a huge college guy but the little i did watch I assumed Haskins was Pro ready and Jones was the project guy. How did the Redskins F/O miss this one. They had 4 ****ing months to evaluate which QB was going to come into this building and be ready. This seems like a recurring theme with this team, We constantly draft QB's that head coach doesn't want

Robert Henson smells blood in the water, he's gunning for Larry Michael's seat. He can tell Larry is weak, Larry won't throw current and ex-team members under the bus. Robert will gladly do that, and back the bus up to make sure they went under. Larry better watch out.

Just now, JSSkinz said:

I don't know about Russini,  an hour ago on Sheehan she said players told her that it could be a year or 2 before Haskins was ready, now on ESPN with Mike Greenberg she said a coach told her that, which is it Diana?

Dunno, but IMO, semantics.  Take the information for what it's worth, is it believable?  I'd say easily.

24 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I don't know about Russini,  an hour ago on Sheehan she said players told her that it could be a year or 2 before Haskins was ready, now on ESPN with Mike Greenberg she said a coach told her that, which is it Diana?

I could have sworn she said a coach on Sheehan's show not players.  That's what I heard unless my lack of sleep this morning is catching up with me.  I'll listen again when they put up the podcast

10 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Dunno, but IMO, semantics.  Take the information for what it's worth, is it believable?  I'd say easily.

It plays into what Hoffman has been saying -- not the 1--2 year part but some of the criticism.  Is it true or not, who knows.  But Russini is not on an island. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

The offense he ran against the Giants was to his strengths... mesh concepts, philly concepts, triangle reads to one side of the field, moving the pocket a little bit.

Where I feel awful for Haskins is developing in this dumpster fire. What an intro to the NFL. Solid, stable program in college. Winning culture. To this.

Yeah I was watching Good Morning Football today and the idea of developing Haskins was folded into it -- they were talking about how it behooved Jay to play Haskins considering it was his one shot to save his job to develop him, etc -- so what does that say about Haskins development.  And then they went off on a tangent about that.

Haskins is being launched head first into this dysfunction pool and in a loud way. 

1 hour ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

I agree.  I'd rather be the Chargers with Rivers/Brees than the Redskins with McCoy/Keenum/Haskins,; 2 backups and an unproven guy.

I don't know if Haskins really would have fallen to the 3rd round, but Justin Herbert or Tagovailoa could start right away and both would be picked ahead of Haskins if they were in the same draft.  I know the team needs a LT but it's going to take more than one draft to fix the talent on this squad.

3 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

"All you fake half hearted Skins fan can .. I won't go there but I dislike you very strongly, don't come to Fed Ex to boo dim wits!!"

"No I didn't play but I still made more than you in a year and you'd [gladly] switch spots with me in a second,"

"The question is who are you to say you know what's best for the team and you work 9 to 5 at Mcdonalds,"

926F43BD-4EB3-4F8F-976C-E2B77B3D93B4.gif

My main question regarding Haskins is whether he improves his footwork/mechanics, and I don’t think getting thrown into the Chicago game gave us any sort of adequate reading on that.  I’d start him, stress the footwork and see if it improves through the weeks.  

I am less concerned about the reading defenses and handling protections angle.  Haskins is a smart guy that seems to work hard... that stuff can come with time/experience.  

As to not being a ‘quick study’, I’m actually ok with that.  Coaches talked about how they threw a ton of stuff at the qbs to see what they can handle.  I’m more concerned with whether over time he corrects mistakes he makes, continues to learn (the offense, reading D’s, etc.) and, most importantly, make major strides on consistency with mechanics.  

Plenty of qbs have been faced with relearning mechanics, and/or learning pro offenses, defenses, protections, and so on.  Some have succeeded, some haven’t.  We need to see which group he falls into.  The talent is there, along with a host of less tangible good attributes.  Now we just need to evaluate the growth prior to next draft.  Sitting him for the remainder of the season slows that evaluation IMO.  With a better organization I’d be fine with redshirting him, I just don’t think we have that luxury given our situation.  

The small silver lining is that with an interim head coach, wins and losses shouldn’t be as front and center as they were with a ‘lame duck’ coach.  Especially given who our interim is - Callahan eking out a few wins isn’t going to suddenly make him a hot HC candidate (not sure he’d even want to be one).  So there’s that I guess.  

As an aside, I’ll be curious to see if our run game changes (productivity-wise) under Callahan.  I doubt it, but it could be that Jay’s system was a hindrance on our run game.  Not that they’re changing the system, but it’s possible the play calling/game planning gets a bit more... streamlined.  I’m hopeful, going forward, that a new coach can come in and work with the (hopefully new) GM on what type of olinemen he needs to run the ball in his system.  My understanding (if I’m remembering correctly) is that Jay felt forced to mesh more zone (what we’d run under Shanahan) than he was comfortable with into the stuff he brought with him from Cincy, and I think that complexity made life tougher on scouts, the olinemen (especially new/young guys) and coordinating the run game.  We’ll see.  

Archived