Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I could have sworn she said a coach on Sheehan's show not players.  That's what I heard unless my lack of sleep this morning is catching up with me.  I'll listen again when they put up the podcast

It's possible I misheard it as well.

People overdo the phrase reading defenses, plenty of guys get half a field to read, you can simplify a game plan enough for just about any pocket passer who was worthy of being drafted, DH isn’t Tyree Jackson. Pitt just lost their starter & backup after trading their #3.... and an udfa from Samford was competent enough v the Ravens. 

Anyone suggesting DH will need 2 years, before he can function, is full of wheat thins. If DH was still at OSU he’d be mocked ahead of everyone but Tua. 

Reading college defenses: Savior Herbert was made to look like a 5th grader for 80% of his game v Cal... not long ago Haskins was far more impressive v a far more gifted Washington defense. 

On 5/28/2019 at 12:18 AM, volsmet said:

Improvement in start 13, in the biggest game of the year.

Michigan came out in zone in the 2nd, DH had struggled v PSU, Neb, & Purdue ... here DH has 3rd & 11, an OL loses, and Michigan has 7 in coverage focused on condescending the field for DH.

The 2nd most impressive thing about this is the patience, the most impressive trait here is the release — you can’t see it in the stills, but I’ve highlighted the time, pressure & location of the ball. 

Season changing play - Haskins was in the biggest spot of his young life & his OL broke down while he was staring into an obscenely athletic defense that had switched from man to zone — DH was ready for the moment. My2nd favorite DH pass of the year.

1BA82ADE-0C59-41A9-86B4-9E20EBB5AADB.jpeg

1A5E69D7-9078-4E61-9454-B0E8319ED76A.jpeg

FA9FF7FA-F564-4DB8-94FE-FA1D006A7DFC.jpeg

3D078940-F39E-497C-84EE-2B7D2208B5CD.jpeg

7A855B91-716C-4937-B762-A4DFC335617A.jpeg

Reading defenses.

973594F4-6A31-4363-93D3-59BA691B8214.gif

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I could have sworn she said a coach on Sheehan's show not players.  That's what I heard unless my lack of sleep this morning is catching up with me.  I'll listen again when they put up the podcast

I just went back and listened again, on Sheehan she said "I asked somebody on the offensive side of the ball and this person said 1 year, maybe 2".

So for what its worth she was consistent in what she said on both shows.  I think I interpreted "somebody" as being a player but I guess thats not the case.

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

Sounds like a sitcom.

The Haskins stuff is one heck of a soap opera today.  I hate repeating negative stuff on a subject like this (much more fun to do it on people I don't like -- like Bruce😀) because then you are put in position to defend it even though you aren't the one saying it.  So I'll just say more stuff popped up minutes ago relating to Haskins on talk radio.   I hope it doesn't make it to twitter. 😀  Nothing too wild and crazy but its the vein of the Russini stuff.  

Reddick says on twitter he is going to talk about it on air. Reddick loves Haskins so am sure he goes for debunking it.   So it's big time turning today into a Days of Our Lives episode with Haskins in the mix.   i am 50-50 on Haskins being the guy.  But I do feel sorry for him.  It's a lot to deal with to be in this sort of tug of war perception game publicly about whether he's the goods or not.

Haskins seems like a smart dude and is competitive so hopefully he just uses it as fuel. 

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Haskins stuff is one heck of a soap opera today.  I hate repeating negative stuff on a subject like this (much more fun to do it on people I don't like -- like Bruce😀) because then you are put in position to defend it even though you aren't the one saying it.  So I'll just say more stuff popped up minutes ago relating to Haskins on talk radio.   I hope it doesn't make it to twitter. 😀  Nothing too wild and crazy but its the vein of the Russini stuff.  

Sips not going to share what he heard? 

04CE5847-486B-4A24-A7C0-84DCEDABE9E0.gif

9 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Sips not going to share what he heard? 

I'll just say I am getting a strong impression its far from just Jay that has questions about Haskins in that building.   I'll comment on it a little post press conference on the draft thread because I can make it flow in a point there related to Tua. 

Albert Breer just said no way the Redskins would land Urban Meyer.   Someone told him he has a better chance to win power ball than the Redskins do of landing Meyer.  I know we said the same yesterday but for what it's worth for those curious. 😀  He said Riley would be very unlikely either. 

Callahan last called plays for Dallas back in 2013.  He was with them in 2012 and 2014, but didn't call plays in those years. 

Here's where Dallas ranked offensively in 2013.

Total

16th in Yards

5th in Points

Rushing

31st in Attempts

24th in Yards

18th in Touchdowns

8th in Yards/Attempt

Passing

13th in Attempts

14th in Yards

3rd in Touchdowns

10th in Interceptions

13th in Net-Yards/Attempt

Here's what Dallas did on 1st Downs, for Quarters 1, 2, and 3 (so avoiding running the ball to drain the clock).

Callahan had them pass on 55.9% of 1st down plays.  Which in 2013, was good for 4th highest rate in the league.

Jay Gruden in 2019, had the Redskins pass on 46.6% of 1st down plays, which so far this season, is the 22nd highest rate.

TL;DR:  If Haskins does become the starter, it seems likely Callahan will use him.  The offense is likely going to be more pass heavy.

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'll just say I am getting a strong impression its far from just Jay that has questions about Haskins in that building.   I'll comment on it a little post press conference on the draft thread because I can make it flow in a point there related to Tua. 

Albert Breer just said no way the Redskins would land Urban Meyer.   Someone told him he has a better chance to win power ball than the Redskins do of landing Meyer.  I know we said the same yesterday but for what it's worth for those curious. 😀  He said Riley would be very unlikely either. 

I’m sure it’s not just Jay, DH’s college coaches had concerns about him leaving after one year & thought he had plenty to work on, but the notion that any QB needs to sit for 2 years, in this version of the nfl, is craziness. 

I obliterated DH in the draft thread, obviously... but he’s not a dufus, it seems like people are out to humiliate him now. 

2 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

TL;DR:  If Haskins does become the starter, it seems likely Callahan will use him.  The offense is likely going to be more pass heavy.

Yet all speculation is Callahan will run the ball 99.8% of the time.

Urban Meyer is a truly great coach, but I don't think he's the right answer because I don't think he's completely trustworthy.  That would feel way too much like the Mike Shanahan hire.

I think using him as a consultant on who the next hire should be makes more sense.  I do trust his eye for coaching talent, as he has hired some really phenomenal coaches in his career.  And he would know whose a good fit for Haskins.

I've got to say I love Dan Mullen and Ryan Day.  I'd be interested in hiring one of them.

27 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I obliterated DH in the draft thread, obviously... but he’s not a dufus, it seems like people are out to humiliate him now. 

Agree.  The narrative actually comes off cruel.  I am not a fan of Reddick planning on going on his soap box today either even though its  a pro Haskins rant because all it does it bring up a negative at the same time that he refutes.  I prefer no Haskins rants period -- positive or negative.   Just leave the dude in peace so he can prepare normally. 

Haskins has supplanted Jones as being the dude being chased by a negative narrative.  What an odd turn of events -- now Jones is the dude who is teflon. 

18 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Urban Meyer is a truly great coach, but I don't think he's the right answer because I don't think he's completely trustworthy.  That would feel way too much like the Mike Shanahan hire.

I think using him as a consultant on who the next hire should be makes more sense.  I do trust his eye for coaching talent, as he has hired some really phenomenal coaches in his career.  And he would know whose a good fit for Haskins.

I've got to say I love Dan Mullen and Ryan Day.  I'd be interested in hiring one of them.

I'm all in on Kirby Smart if we go the college route...

2 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Yet all speculation is Callahan will run the ball 99.8% of the time.

Yup, and honestly I just assumed he'd be run heavy as well.  I was surprised at the numbers when I went looking for them.  It's not like DeMarco Murray wasn't effective, in 2013 he was averaging 5.2 yards per carry.  But Callahan called other plays.

Hmm, on 2nd down (excluding no yardage gained on 1st down, and excluding the 4th quarter) here's how often Callahan ran the ball:

Between 7-9 yards to gain - Ran the ball 30.2% of the time

Between 4-6 yards to gain - Ran 36.2% (league average was 47.4%)

Between 1-3 yards to gain - Ran 63.3% (league average was 67.3%)

Something to note, that Dallas offense was money on 2nd down between 4-6 yards to go.  They average 9.9 yards gained per play, that was 2nd in the league, and the league average was 6.6 yards gained.

The trend also continues, Dallas's offense on 2nd down in the 1-3 yard range gained 8.5 yards per play.  That's double the league average of 4.25 yards gained in that situation.

I wish I had play-action numbers I can look through, because I'm guessing that's why Dallas's offense was so explosive on 2nd-and-short and 2nd-and-medium.

23 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Jeremy Pruitt may be available.

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  The narrative actually comes off cruel.  I am not a fan of Reddick planning on going on his soap box today either even though its  a pro Haskins rant because all it does it bring up a negative at the same time that he refutes.  I prefer no Haskins rants period -- positive or negative.   Just leave the dude in peace so he can prepare normally. 

29A2A500-7212-45C2-9879-81BF1EFC142C.gif

5 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Yup, and honestly I just assumed he'd be run heavy as well.  I was surprised at the numbers when I went looking for them.  It's not like DeMarco Murray wasn't effective, in 2013 he was averaging 5.2 yards per carry.  But Callahan called other plays.

Hmm, on 2nd down (excluding no yardage gained on 1st down, and excluding the 4th quarter) here's how often Callahan ran the ball:

Between 7-9 yards to gain - Ran the ball 30.2% of the time

Between 4-6 yards to gain - Ran 36.2% (league average was 47.4%)

Between 1-3 yards to gain - Ran 63.3% (league average was 67.3%)

Something to note, that Dallas offense was money on 2nd down between 4-6 yards to go.  They average 9.9 yards gained per play, that was 2nd in the league, and the league average was 6.6 yards gained.

The trend also continues, Dallas's offense on 2nd down in the 1-3 yard range gained 8.5 yards per play.  That's double the league average of 4.25 yards gained in that situation.

I wish I had play-action numbers I can look through, because I'm guessing that's why Dallas's offense was so explosive on 2nd-and-short and 2nd-and-medium.

14D72BB1-BAB3-4978-9B5E-B57D7FE19118.gif

Archived