Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't think a lot of fans will "turn on him" if he sucks. But this situation is different. If he stinks, the Skins will be in position to choose a quarterback very high in next year's draft. We never had that with Campbell or Griffin. Patience when you're showing some competency is one thing, patience when you're not shown a thing is another. 

Haskins is in a bad situation. He doesn't really have time. Or, better stated, he shouldn't. I think the next HC will be told he has to have Haskins on the roster regardless. So my point is moot. But Haskins was done a real disservice when he got drafted to DC instead of, say, New England or Green Bay, etc. Lame duck coach means a new regime the following season. 

I am 100% in the camp of starting him the rest of the year and then Josh Rosen him in the offseason if he's not showing any real signs of progress.  If Bruce Allen is gone, I'd rather the new GM pick a QB of their choosing.  Hell, even if Haskins doesn't see the field at all this year, I'd still be okay with them drafting another QB next year.  

9 minutes ago, dballer said:

Was thinking about this drafting a QB again thing...I don’t think you do it regardless. If you end up with a top pick you take a Chase Young or an Andrew Thomas. Or trade back for a haul. Start Haskins all year next year. New HC gets some slack in year one with a new QB.  If he stinks, we stink and have another top pick. Trevor Lawrence anyone? 

It's hard to pass on a generational talent. The consensus is that Tua is that. If the Skins pick 1, this is a very, very cloudy choice if Haskins isn't showing anything. Tua or trade back for draft picks are the only two options in that position.

If the Skins pick and Tua is off the board, things get a little less cloudy. But there are still several factors in play.

As of now, if Haskins doesn't show anything of note, and we pick #1, I'm in the draft Tua camp. But, I think I could see myself swaying to trade back, grab the BPA at the picks and target Jalen Hurts later on. 

But I haven't done enough film review on Hurts versus Tua to really get a feel for either of them yet. That's just my current thought. 

Imagine if Tua goes on to be a generational talent at QB and the Skins passed on him at #1.

There's a lot of factors still in play, here, though. And one is that the Skins are likely to accidentally win a game or three this year.

Just now, KDawg said:

There's a lot of factors still in play, here, though. And one is that the Skins are likely to accidentally win a game or three this year.

I was thinking that this team is a 4-12 or 5-11 at best team, and that it would be so Redskins that we actually eek out 4 or 5 wins this year to screw up our draft position.  But then I checked out the schedule.  Honestly, aside from the Dolphins and Jets, there isn't a team on the schedule that I could see us realistically beating.  

I'm not as worried, now. It sounds like Callahan will play Haskins later this season, and even 4 or 5 games would be enough to get a feel for his future. That's especially true if he's been getting first team reps and is more prepared than he was a couple weeks ago.

It would be entirely reasonable to trade him to a team more in need of a developmental QB, and then go with Tua or Herbert.

14 hours ago, wit33 said:

I grew up playing basketball and have coached for 10 plus years, and have worked with many youth develop various fundamentals, including their shooting. Thoughts on QB feet work and throwing to the different shot forms and feet work?

For example, the way Reggie Miller, Ray Allen, and Steph Curry all became the greatest shooters of all time required different fundamentals for them to achieve mastery for their respective shots. Fundamentalist would say Curry and Miller have bad fundamentals at certain stages of their shot, while Allen has almost perfect form. 

Are their similarities at the QB spot, in regards to a QB being able to achieve mastery without having picture perfect fundamentals?? 

I’ll throw this at @stevemcqueen1 @volsmet as well that appear to have a scout like understanding of the game. Missing a few others that I enjoy reading a more in-depth break down of player fundamentals. 

I can tell you based on (some) experience that the only fundamentals taught to quarterbacks prior to high school relate to (1) throwing motion, (2) calling plays in a huddle, and (3) some footwork relating to meshing with running backs.  There is no such thing as coaching a kid to read a defense at that age, there no coaching on how to properly do a 3 step, 5 step, or 7 step drop because there are very few coaches who understand that, and it wouldn't be useful anyway at that level.

Once High School comes, most programs focus on footwork as it relates to where a quarterback needs to be at a particular moment to mesh with your running backs, or to set up to throw on some play action types plays.  Each step in the backfield is choreographed.  This may get a QB's mind attuned to the importance of footwork, but other than that it is not helpful in a college level passing offense. There are some coaches at the HS level that understand and will try to teach a proper 3, 5, and 7 step drop, but the focus on drops is still more toward getting just getting back there (assuming its a straight drop).  Reading of defenses in HS is simplified, maybe one read and then go to your second receiver.  More complicated passing offenses are rare in HS for the same reason-- lack of coaches with real knowledge on how to design a passing offense that incorporates those principals.  You need multiple coaches that understand these principals.  And then they must be able to actually coach-- not just receivers and quarterbacks, but all 11 guys need to understand their role, and its difficult enough to get a 16 year old kid to understand an HS offense.  There simply is not enough time in HS to work this all out, which is why college level players will tell you that the biggest difference between HS and college is that college football feels like a job.  It is-- even at smaller schools, they'll manage your class schedule, set you up for summer courses to take the burden off during the school year, etc.   

Once in college, there are many different schemes being employed.  You have quarterback coaches that are paid to understand the 3, 5, and 7 step drop, reading both at the line and in the drop, progressions (speed reads), coverage reads, and there's a ton of film work.  Everyone can throw at this level, so footwork and reads become paramount.  Verbiage is more complicated. Even the top tier quarterbacks coming out of HS are likely to redshirt, so they get a year to watch, learn, and understand under constant supervision.  However, college level offenses typically don't run pro style drop back offenses because the pressure to win is constant, and you lose about 1/3 of your starters every year.  It's easier to go with what works (shotgun is used by the vast majority of programs because it gives the QB a head start on his reads and drop), and even then its maybe two progressions and improvise.  The QBs that can run get out of the traditional pocket as soon at the first sign of trouble.  The most difficult thing to understand is when to step up in the pocket to continue your progressions.  It's counter-intuitive because it feels like you're stepping towards pressure, but the real pressure comes from the edges, so stepping up gives you relief and let's you see the field. If you continue to drop and try to go around the edge, you lose sight of the downfield and into the edge rusher (or your own offense tackle), and then your receiver have to go off schedule.  Some guys can sense the pressure, so stepping up feels a bit more natural and they can just do it.  There are certain college programs that are exceptions and will employ traditional pro style offenses, but the trend has been that they are less successful.  Take Duke for instance, with their quarterback guru.  Duke has had moderate success over the past several years with average talent, but Daniel Jones was drilled for four years in a pro style offense which teaches all of these fundamentals repeatedly.  You look at his numbers and they are not particularly impressive because he does not have the elite level talent around him.  And you heard during the senior, the combine, and leading up to the draft that he physical talents were good but not great.  His stock was supposed to be falling.  But he's NFL ready, so he taken before the other guys (i.e. Haskins) that may be physically superior but do not have same type of drilling in an NFL style offense. 

There's a good bit of discuss these days about the early success of some of these recent quarterbacks (Watson comes to mind, and now Jackson).  But those guys (particularly Jackson) are running offenses that have been modified to their skills sets.  Perhaps the plan is to slowly introduce the pro style as the years go on, but when has type of progression really worked...  These guys will run until their wheels fall off, but they don't tend to stick around for the long haul or result in sustained success.  I guess Russell Wilson is the exception, but even he is settling in to a more traditional pocket passer type role. 

Then again, I can't say i've really paid much attention to any of this in a while because i actually have a real job that i just ignored for 30 minutes to write this.  So most of what I just said is probably wrong.

16 hours ago, Burgold said:

I always defer to you on football stuff, but I do find the fact that they still need to develop "a Haskins' package" telling is telling. It also has always seemed strange to me how few reps he got even on a week where he was likely to play. Gruden and company just seemed to go out of their way not to work with him.

I mean I could be a hundred percent wrong, but it just feels like the Redskins' have neglected him. They immediately decided he wasn't going to be ready this year and so pushed him off to the side. Third string reps in training camp and preseason. No reps during the season. No game planning with him in mind (though I may be wrong on that if you are saying they did try to mirror Ohio's most successful plays)

Now, part of the Haskins neglect makes sense as Case was a first year QB too, but I've never seen a 1st round QB treated as I've read Haskins has.

I don't think you're wrong about this. BMitch and a few others have commented on how neither Haskins nor Sweat was given any sort of real direction during the Summer. Gruden didn't want to prepare Haskins, knowing he was likely a short-timer. He has never tried to alter his Offense for his talent and just said "Colt, Colt, Colt" as long as he's been here.

Beathard would tell Gibbs "This is what you've got" and Gibbs would taylor his Offense to it. Gruden kept trying to fit square pegs into round holes and pimp players who wouldn't even be on a roster if not for him.

48 minutes ago, KDawg said:

It's hard to pass on a generational talent. The consensus is that Tua is that. If the Skins pick 1, this is a very, very cloudy choice if Haskins isn't showing anything. Tua or trade back for draft picks are the only two options in that position.

If the Skins pick and Tua is off the board, things get a little less cloudy. But there are still several factors in play.

As of now, if Haskins doesn't show anything of note, and we pick #1, I'm in the draft Tua camp. But, I think I could see myself swaying to trade back, grab the BPA at the picks and target Jalen Hurts later on. 

But I haven't done enough film review on Hurts versus Tua to really get a feel for either of them yet. That's just my current thought. 

Imagine if Tua goes on to be a generational talent at QB and the Skins passed on him at #1.

Fair enough. I guess if they are the #1 pick that will change some things. Imagine if we could get the kind of haul for him that we gave up for RG3 though...

Also...He has had some injury issues...and we are who we are...

25 minutes ago, FrFan said:

I'm afraid the poor kid's career is in serious jeopardy if he's a Snyder pick.

This is what is legitimately baffling about the fans reaction to these recent reports of him being a huge project.  Why are people so scared to see him play?  Are they afraid that he's going to be a bust?  The #1 red flag about Haskins is the fact that Snyder meddled and picked him.  And that is not on Haskins.  

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2019/04/103787/urban-meyer-on-dwayne-haskins-at-some-point-hell-be-the-face-of-a-franchise

From April 2019

Urban Meyer: “At Some Point, He'll Be the Face of a Franchise”

Urban Meyer has coached a lot of quarterbacks in his day, including the No. 1 overall pick in the 2005 NFL Draft, Alex Smith. But from a pure accuracy standpoint, nobody tops Dwayne Haskins.

Meyer spoke with Fox Sports' Colin Cowherd about his former quarterback's prospects at the next level, discussing just how good he was at Ohio State.

"He's by far the most accurate guy," Meyer said, comparing him to his top college quarterbacks Smith, Chris Leak, Tim Tebow, Cardale Jones, J.T. Barrett and Braxton Miller. "His accuracy is No. 1. No. 2, is his football IQ is outstanding."

Meyer praised Haskins' intelligence and ability to flip protections and make adjustments to ensure he has a clean pocket and doesn't get hit.

"I think that's one of the most overlooked things for quarterbacks," Meyer said. "When you see him not get hit, you say 'well, the offensive line is great.' But wait a minute, a lot of the times they're flipping protections to make sure they pick up the pressures. And other than accuracy, that's Dwayne's strength."

Depending on who you ask, Haskins is expected to go as high as No. 6 in the upcoming NFL Draft, or slide as low as the pick No. 17-20 range. Meyer thinks his ideal landing spot is somewhere that he can sit and learn for a year, because after just one season as a starter, he doesn't believe he's quite ready to be a franchise quarterback.

"Not yet, he's close though." Meyer said. "He's only got one year under his belt and I think the situation would be perfect – and there's a couple of them out there – he comes in, he learns for a year, at some point he'll be the face of a franchise."

A lack of experience is Meyer's top concern with both Haskins and Kyler Murray, who most expect to be the No. 1 pick next week.

"The two top quarterbacks in the NFL Draft right now, they've played one year of football," Meyer said. "Usually it takes four to five year to learn how to play that position. Those would be my concerns about our guy, Dwayne (Haskins), and Kyler (Murray)."

Meyer also had high praise for Nick Bosa, who most expected to be the No. 2 player selected next week. Meyer wouldn't go as far as to call him a "can't miss" player, but said he doesn't know how you could pass on him.

"When he went down, it took us two months to get over that. That's how good of a player he is," Meyer said. "I don't know if there's a can't miss, but if I'm a general manager in the NFL, I don't know how you let that one go. That's how good a player he is. He's that good."

You can listen to Meyer's full interview below, which includes a little anecdote about his all-time favorite plays to call with one of his all-time favorite players.

"You know, my Fox college football team, my analysts, they were giving me a hard time saying on third-down and 1, we knew what you were going to do when you had J.T.," Meyer said. "I said 'Damn right, cause you couldn't stop it.' J.T. Barrett for a first down."

23 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Well people who study film on ES tell me that his accuracy is a big problem so who the hell do I believe now? 

I haven't combed through all Haskins tape, but just from what I've seen of him in B&G - the accuracy issues stem from poor mechanics.  It's easy to fall back into poor mechanics facing NFL speed and talent.

2 hours ago, kfrankie said:

I can tell you based on (some) experience that the only fundamentals taught to quarterbacks prior to high school relate to (1) throwing motion, (2) calling plays in a huddle, and (3) some footwork relating to meshing with running backs.  There is no such thing as coaching a kid to read a defense at that age, there no coaching on how to properly do a 3 step, 5 step, or 7 step drop because there are very few coaches who understand that, and it wouldn't be useful anyway at that level.

Once High School comes, most programs focus on footwork as it relates to where a quarterback needs to be at a particular moment to mesh with your running backs, or to set up to throw on some play action types plays.  Each step in the backfield is choreographed.  This may get a QB's mind attuned to the importance of footwork, but other than that it is not helpful in a college level passing offense. There are some coaches at the HS level that understand and will try to teach a proper 3, 5, and 7 step drop, but the focus on drops is still more toward getting just getting back there (assuming its a straight drop).  Reading of defenses in HS is simplified, maybe one read and then go to your second receiver.  More complicated passing offenses are rare in HS for the same reason-- lack of coaches with real knowledge on how to design a passing offense that incorporates those principals.  You need multiple coaches that understand these principals.  And then they must be able to actually coach-- not just receivers and quarterbacks, but all 11 guys need to understand their role, and its difficult enough to get a 16 year old kid to understand an HS offense.  There simply is not enough time in HS to work this all out, which is why college level players will tell you that the biggest difference between HS and college is that college football feels like a job.  It is-- even at smaller schools, they'll manage your class schedule, set you up for summer courses to take the burden off during the school year, etc.  

My thing with Haskins was it appeared through reports he’s been groomed to play QB much of his life and the added benefit (maybe) of Shawn Springs (not a huge on radio Springs fan, due to his logic not adding up for me often times— I have zero authority on the subject) helping to guide his path. It seemed (I don’t know) he was in position to receive the type of coaching the “normal” high school QB doesn’t get and that you talk about. 

If he did receive coaching from top level coaches, can he still become great with imperfect mechanics? 

For example, Del Curry is considered one of the greatest shooters of all time and would qualify as having the ability to be an elite level coach (I say qualify, due teaching being an art in itself) and Curry has fundamentals in his shot that I or most coaches/trainers would never teach. So Steph Curry, the son of an all time great shooter, shoots differently than his father and brother Seth Curry and lacks by the book fundamentals in his shot. 

Can Haskins’ talent circumvent some of the fundamental qualifications coaches/scouts place upon QBs, like the family of great shooters and specifically Steph Curry?

Another question, a popular screenshot was Haskins feet work on an out throw to Davis in the end zone of the Giants game, I’ve seen Brady miss this type of throw many times with what I’d imagine is great fundamentals. I can see stats getting to point of being able to compare various throws in relation to where the ball was snapped, what hash, length, and type of route etc.. Basketball provides clearer evidence of a good shooter at the moment... 3pt% 2pt%, paint% free throw%, off dribble, off the catch, average distance etc.. 

Paul Troth, a QB coach, who has been interviewed a bit on Comcast, etc and worked with Haskins in a camp years back told Finlay (Finlay talked about it in his podcast) he wouldn't play Haskins yet.  But he would prepare him to start in 2 weeks and if he isn't ready then -- it would be telling.  The way Finlay said it is he'd see it as a bad sign if he didn't look ready then. 

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Paul Troth, a QB coach, who has been interviewed a bit on Comcast, etc and worked with Haskins in a camp years back told Finlay (Finlay talked about it in his podcast) he wouldn't play Haskins yet.  But he would prepare him to start in 2 weeks and if he isn't ready then -- it would be telling.  The way Finlay said it is he'd see it as a bad sign if he didn't look ready then. 

A few pages back you hinted at hearing something about Haskins that you didn't want to share until the press conferences.  Do you mind sharing it now?

1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

This is what is legitimately baffling about the fans reaction to these recent reports of him being a huge project.  Why are people so scared to see him play?  Are they afraid that he's going to be a bust?  The #1 red flag about Haskins is the fact that Snyder meddled and picked him.  And that is not on Haskins.  

The other flags are that Gruden didn't want him and other teams either, that's why he fell to us. We can only hope they will all be proven wrong.

On 5/22/2019 at 1:53 PM, volsmet said:

It’s not truly ypa, it’s depth of target, my apologies for that. It’s, as you know, just more difficult to make longer throws, it’s easier to take things away in the NFL — Haskins averaged 7.8 ypt & 22% of his targets were to Campbell who only averaged 4.5 yards of depth per target — that’s the kind of thing scouts believe any draft-worthy could replicate in college, it’s simplifying things to a point that you can’t project it, you can’t throw the ball, 111 times, to a guy averaging 4.5 ypt, and move the football in the nfl. You hit a guy running 4.3 down the sideline & it’s impressive to everyone & DH does that, but the amount of the time he was simply asked to get the ball to a superior athlete, near the los, is college football only... you can’t learn much from it.

@Llevron

Some of the accuracy issues. I don’t even really want to continue this part of the conversation because it seems some people are going too far to dismiss the kid as a Snyder disaster. He’s just an inexperienced guy, and he looks a little awkward at times, but the gifts are next level

0D3205FE-5983-42E1-B44B-3800B657FFD5.png

5154600A-8E34-40B4-9268-7AED0F7C6C4F.png

4E6576AD-ABBA-47F1-85D3-A0B8549DE536.png

43 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Another question, a popular screenshot was Haskins feet work on an out throw to Davis in the end zone of the Giants game, I’ve seen Brady miss this type of throw many times with what I’d imagine is great fundamentals. I can see stats getting to point of being able to compare various throws in relation to where the ball was snapped, what hash, length, and type of route etc.. Basketball provides better evidence of the good shooter at the moment... 3pt% 2pt%, paint% free throw%, off dribble, off the catch, average distance etc.. 

I am not a basketball guy but I've been a big baseball guy most of my life.  I watched 5 of Haskins practices and i watched him really closely.  I didn't study his mechanics but just the results of his throws. 

My best layman baseball analogy to what I've seen.  And it will be nowhere as elegant as the basketball talk here which is excellent. 

The dude to me has a 97 mile an hour fastball and you can see him throw beauty rising fastballs that no one can touch so he'd be a high KO pitcher.   And when he's on his game, it's exciting.  But his fastball is a bit wild some days and he doesn't really have command of an off speed pitch.   It doesn't look right now like he's the full package in terms of having enough of an arsenal of pitches to be a  good starter just yet.    

He looks like a dude who could shut you out if he's on his game one day but also looks like he'd give up 6 walks and give up  5 home runs other days.   Based on the 5 practices I watched, he had more bad days than good days.   

The exercise I keep going back to is Jay had one exercise where each QB threw about 20 balls in a row - which were all short 5 yard out routes in the flat with the idea of leading the pass catcher into YAC.  Haskins was atrocious with those throws IMO and was bad every day with those throws except 1 practice.  Colt actually by far was the most accurate.  But then one day of practice, Haskins was just dropping dimes all around the field.  Beat guys said that was his best practice in the whole camp.    He also threw a lot of picks.  

The two things that I wasn't sure about that I liked from what I can tell in camp was Haskins is faster than he looked to me on TV in college.  And to use one of your favorite words, I liked what I saw from his intangibles.  Seemed like a cool dude.  He interacted well with fans, including my kids.  It seemed like his teammates really liked him.   So I came out of that liking Haskins more and feeling good about him mostly but the idea that he's raw and not ready, it doesn't shock me.

I haven't been concerned about the not ready stuff for most of this time.  But I admit i am starting to get a little nervous about it judging by some of what am hearing.  So now, I am curious to see him soon.  I don't think we need to set the bar high.  Just flashes and progress is enough for me.   Part of it for me is I've been a Tua fan for years and man if we end up with an opportunity to draft him and pass him by -- I'd like to have a sense that we got a franchise QB. 

As I am typing this just heard Paulsen say from tapping into his sources over there:  a lot of the people at Redskins Park aren't sold on him and some question whether he's a franchise QB right now.  Hoffman has hinted about concerns, too.    I am not hoping its just fear-overreaction or whatever.  So I'd like to see some Haskins soon.    

“Here is this kid and his father throwing balls,” Mantz said. “His dad had a whole list of (accolades like) 'He’s the ‘No. 2-ranked fourth-grader in North America.’ The kid was amazing, respectful and talented.”

Haskins was “at every clinic,” South Brunswick’s Pop Warner president Jake Rodriguez said.

“Now when you see people say ‘routes on air,’ we were doing that in the park in second and third grade,” said Mohamed Jabbie, Haskins’ buddy, a Rutgers wide receiver from South Brunswick and Sanu’s nephew. “We were running actual routes.”

https://www.nj.com/giants/2019/04/making-of-dwayne-haskins-tracing-mysterious-nj-roots-of-nfl-draft-pick-maybe-next-giants-quarterback.html

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am not a basketball guy but I've been a big baseball guy most of my life.  I watched 5 of Haskins practices and i watched him really closely.  I didn't study his mechanics but just the results of his throws. 

My best layman baseball analogy to what I've seen.  And it will be nowhere as elegant as the basketball talk here which is excellent. 

DH will make the Manny Machado throw across the field & then reach back for a Chuck Knoblauch. 

Pat Mahomes made the most insanely impressive college throws anyone has ever seen, and then he’d miss a guy miserably. DH needs reps. Hopefully the mess around him *doesn’t give him those Knoblauch yips. 

2 minutes ago, volsmet said:

DH will make the Manny Machado throw across the field & then reach back for a Chuck Knoblauch. 

Pat Mahomes made the most insanely impressive college throws anyone has ever seen, and then he’d miss a guy miserably. DH needs reps. Hopefully the mess around him *doesn’t give him those Knoblauch yips. 

With trepidation, I must report feeling when watching Mahomes he’s not as comfortable looking with the ordinary/rhythm type throws and Reid does a great job of mixing in a lot LOS type throws to establish rhythm for Mahomes. 

For example, I wouldn’t be shocked if Mahomes struggles with timing type throws or the chronicled our route throw to davis made by Haskins. 

Anyone feel free to trash this, as I’m just basing this off of memory and a few games of watching Mahomes. ;) 

17 minutes ago, volsmet said:

The Knoblauch reference is painful for a Yankee fan like me.   Steve Sax would be another one :( 

My concern about DH was some of the throws I saw him miss, he missed them consistently.   The throws that were right in front of him, in between the numbers, 5-10 yard range he was really accurate.  That looked like his wheel house.  The out routes including short ones in the flat -- to say he was inconsistent would be a complement.  He really struggled with them.    And he threw a ton of picks.

I'll be honest.  I've been so back and forth on Haskins.  Watching him in real time on TV, I liked him in college.     Studying him (partly because of your prompting) I got down on him.   Watching him in camp, I wasn't sure what to make of him the player but loved the dude so that made me positive.    But I admit I am hating all the behind the scenes stuff I keep hearing from people who cover the team especially of late.  And its coming from too many places for me to shrug it all off.  I've tried to give the nicest spin on what's being said because I know if you repeat a negative then all of a sudden you become associated with it.    And like I said i liked Haskins.  I got a signed picture of Haskins with my kids on my office wall.    So between all of that, and Tua might be there for us, its giving me an itch to see what we got from Haskins. 

Archived