Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

2 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Maybe the plan is to go 0-16 so we can get Tua?

Then everything the coach is saying would make sense to me.

Ive just said the same in the other Callahan thread.

I also think he made a slight dig at Gruden, I reckon we haven't invested enough time is getting Haskins ready. Too busy dicking about trying to prove a point with McCoy in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Ive just said the same in the other Callahan thread.

I also think he made a slight dig at Gruden, I reckon we haven't invested enough time is getting Haskins ready. Too busy dicking about trying to prove a point with McCoy in my opinion.

Seemed like his only point on that was giving him some practice reps though.  I didn't get the vibe that we'd see Haskins anytime soon.  Having said that when they have no shows in the stands and see they weren't all Jay related -- I bet they eventually start him to pique some fan interest in the season. 

8 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

We aren't smart enough for that. Even if we were, the interim HC wouldn't be in on it...he can lose well enough on his own, and is laying out the perfect plan to do so for the entire world to see. 

Bruce is on it as for saving the season. If I recall he also said something to the effect of their goals are still in front of them.  i am guessing they still see an opportunity to turn around and secure a 6-10 season. 😀

My "bias" to Haskins is based on football... and nothing else.  Haskins played just 14 college games at OSU.  I wouldn't have drafted QB at 15 that had so little college game experience and expect him to excel immediately in the NFL.  Additionally, he played for OSU... where he played one, maybe two relatively competitive games a year against similarly talented teams and the rest were against patsies he dominated due to their lack of similar talent.

Daniel Jones, conversely, played 3 full years at Duke and played in a pro-style offense under the tutelage of Cutcliff.  He was immersed in a relatively NFL-like atmosphere in terms of their offense and QB coaching.  It's showing on Sundays. 

For the record, I didn't like any of the QBs in the 2019 draft.  Even if Jones had fallen to 15, and Skins absolutely wanted a QB, I would  have preferred they trade down into the late 1st to get him.     

56 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I'd been speculating that Gruden et al. never did design a Haskins package. In my book, that's pretty much malpractice. Who has ever ignored a first round QB as much as Gruden and company have? Is there really any question why the kid isn't up to speed? They never gave him reps or worked with him.

All that said, as far as Haskins seeing the field or being lost on it... I don't know that Haskins any less lost than Colt McCoy did on Sunday.

The whole thing is ****ed.

You have a GM who says "the coach will decide who plays".  And that coach is taking over a dumpster fire and doesn't want to make it worse by handing the offense over to a QB who isn't ready to play. 

Who then is looking at the bigger picture? Who will be the one to say "2019 be dammed, we can't pass on a QB in 2020 without knowing what we have in Haskins." Who is project managing this turn-around with a long term view?

Allen's line about "we are just looking at winning next week in Miami" made me want to vomit. Winning in Miami is not the goal. Go 0-16 for all I care, if it means making hard decision today that will pay off tomorrow. 

9 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I'd been speculating that Gruden et al. never did design a Haskins package. In my book, that's pretty much malpractice. Who has ever ignored a first round QB as much as Gruden and company have? Is there really any question why the kid isn't up to speed? They never gave him reps or worked with him.

All that said, as far as Haskins seeing the field or being lost on it... I don't know that Haskins any less lost than Colt McCoy did on Sunday.

FYI, the plays Haskins ran in that game were the ones he was successful with in college. Meshes, triangle reads, philly concept type stuff.

6 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

The whole thing is ****ed.

You have a GM who says "the coach will decide who plays".  And that coach is taking over a dumpster fire and doesn't want to make it worse by handing the offense over to a QB who isn't ready to play. 

Who then is looking at the bigger picture? Who will be the one to say "2019 be dammed, we can't pass on a QB in 2020 without knowing what we have in Haskins." Who is project managing this turn-around with a long term view?

Haskins will be forced on the new HC and new GM ( :ols: new GM! Hah!)

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

FYI, the plays Haskins ran in that game were the ones he was successful with in college. Meshes, triangle reads, philly concept type stuff.

I always defer to you on football stuff, but I do find the fact that they still need to develop "a Haskins' package" telling is telling. It also has always seemed strange to me how few reps he got even on a week where he was likely to play. Gruden and company just seemed to go out of their way not to work with him.

I mean I could be a hundred percent wrong, but it just feels like the Redskins' have neglected him. They immediately decided he wasn't going to be ready this year and so pushed him off to the side. Third string reps in training camp and preseason. No reps during the season. No game planning with him in mind (though I may be wrong on that if you are saying they did try to mirror Ohio's most successful plays)

Now, part of the Haskins neglect makes sense as Case was a first year QB too, but I've never seen a 1st round QB treated as I've read Haskins has.

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I always defer to you on football stuff, but I do find the fact that they still need to develop "a Haskins' package" telling is telling. It also has always seemed strange to me how few reps he got even on a week where he was likely to play. Gruden and company just seemed to go out of their way not to work with him.

I mean I could be a hundred percent wrong, but it just feels like the Redskins' have neglected him. They immediately decided he wasn't going to be ready this year and so pushed him off to the side. Third string reps in training camp and preseason. No reps during the season. No game planning with him in mind (though I may be wrong on that if you are saying they did try to mirror Ohio's most successful plays)

Now, part of the Haskins neglect makes sense as Case was a first year QB too, but I've never seen a 1st round QB treated as I've read Haskins has.

I don’t disagree that Gruden was not handling the Haskins stuff overall well... but one factor a lot of people aren’t considering is that perhaps that had something to do with Haskins. 

Im trying to tell you that I think Haskins fundamentals are completely ****ed. And that is a SIGNIFICANT issue. One where throwing a kid out there who is green as **** is absolutely malpractice. 

Where I’ll defer to others is that I’m not there. Maybe he’s further along and the pressure got to him and he reverted. 

But Callahan saying Haskins starting now isn’t an option points more to what I’m saying. I just don’t think he’s ready. Having said that, there are better ways to handle him than what Gruden (reportedly) did.

I think Callahan was saying that he wants to come up with a small package that is JUST for Haskins. Haskins was running the primary Skins stuff (but a lot of it was stuff he excelled at in college), but I’m betting Gruden didn’t give Haskins a small selection to study and learn and threw the book at him.

6 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Perhaps lends credence to the idea that Jay didn't want him. And since everyone in the building is stubborn and has an agenda, Haskins was left to sit in the corner and collect dust. A pawn in the back and forth point scoring game between executives and coaches. 

2 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

It's clear Bruce and Snyder don't want to play him. Callahan would never be named coach if he wasn't on the same page as the front office. 

Snyder wants more Colt in his life. 

82D4EEC5-0A4A-4822-AFB5-87C4EEBEB6AC.gif

Jay was trying to save his job and had no time to wait for a QB to develop to do so. I'm far from the first person to say this but that is why they should have either cleaned house and hired a new coach or waited to draft a QB. Drafting a project like Haskins with a lame duck coach was ridiculously stupid.

51 minutes ago, Cskin said:

Haskins played just 14 college games at OSU.  I wouldn't have drafted QB at 15 that had so little college game experience and expect him to excel immediately in the NFL.  Additionally, he played for OSU... where he played one, maybe two relatively competitive games a year against similarly talented teams and the rest were against patsies he dominated due to their lack of similar talent.

What is really sad is Dwayne did not have better guidance.  Another two years would have made all the difference I think and really helped him out.   And that the Skin's bit on him at 15. Guys need experience. I mean McLurin out of the same program stays four years and with discipline, and tons of playtime builds his skill set. He came to us pro ready.  He is already our # 1 receiver.  Would definitely he a # 2 on a good team.  And he is a quality character guy.  

51 minutes ago, Cskin said:

Daniel Jones, conversely, played 3 full years at Duke and played in a pro-style offense under the tutelage of Cutcliff.  He was immersed in a relatively NFL-like atmosphere in terms of their offense and QB coaching.  It's showing on Sundays. 

For the record, I didn't like any of the QBs in the 2019 draft.  Even if Jones had fallen to 15, and Skins absolutely wanted a QB, I would  have preferred they trade down into the late 1st to get him.     

And he is super cool under pressure. Kind of reminds me of a mini Eli in terms of his disposition but with more talent coming in.   Didn't he train at Peyton Manning's QB camp?  I think he was on their radar for a long time.

I agree that the QB class next year is stacked.  This is why, no matter what, I don't care what they do they have to get Haskins some reps.  Get him into live action and see if they have anything with him.

1 hour ago, Heisenberg said:

Jay was trying to save his job and had no time to wait for a QB to develop to do so. I'm far from the first person to say this but that is why they should have either cleaned house and hired a new coach or waited to draft a QB. Drafting a project like Haskins with a lame duck coach was ridiculously stupid.

If you think a franchise guy is there, and you have an ordinary guy, you take the potential franchise QB 100 times out of 100. Only one spot can make up for multiple deficiencies, and as we see over & over, well constructed teams can win less than ordinary options at qb. The opportunity to find a franchise guy, on a rookie contract, is why the phrase sponge-worthy exists. I’d rather have traded our 2nd for Rosen & drafted Haskins in the first, if someone I trusted believed DH had a legitimate shot to become a top 5-7 QB. By its very nature, getting a top 5 guy is difficult, if I had two shots at it, with those two picks, I’d take it... and I’d happily take Tua if those guys showed they didn’t have it. I’m fine with running out ordinary QBs, but I’d almost never pass on a guy I loved if he fell to my pick & I didn’t have the guy.

Rosen + Haskins + Colt/Case = 8 million. With guys like that, I can work with the talent and spend on my roster. Imagine thinking you’re better off trading for, and paying Alex Smith - or setting the market on a Kirk Cousins. The humans are troubled ... they just jonestown too hard. There is an advantage to caring about the humans and not caring, at all, what they agree or disagree with ... people who want to be agreed with rob the rest of the opportunity to interact with more authentic considerations, what a travesty; that is what stagnates our development as a community of ESers.

* @Mr. Sinister gif warning heeded - Michael Scott takes it too far at times. 

🤝

Fascinating that a prodigy from an early age has such terrible fundamentals as many of the more qualified football people on here and in the media continue to lament. 

How does a guy with NFL people in his life struggle so much with the fundamentals? It’s perplexing. I’m not talking game experience type stuff, just the overall feet work fundamentals. Strange. You’d think the feet work type stuff would be automatic with life long tutelage. 

Any answers?? 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Okay

I was asking, though the absence of one of these “?” may have *that made unclear. I suspect your warning to me is about the gif, so I’ll delete that, though I have seen it here before...... in other posts of mine. 

85B9952C-3DC9-4674-8524-C40014C95500.gif

Just now, volsmet said:

I was asking, though the absence of one of these “?” may have made unclear. I suspect your warning to me is about the gif, so I’ll delete that, though I have seen it here before...... in other posts of mine. 

Not really anything dramatic, just a friendly heads up. Mods read the riot act on that years ago because that used to be a nickname fave for Tony Romo among the more humor challenged among us. Just dont wanna see anyone go out over something like that

1 minute ago, wit33 said:

Fascinating that a prodigy from an early age has such terrible fundamentals as many of the more qualified football people on here and in the media continue to lament. 

How does a guy with NFL people in his life struggle so much with the fundamentals? It’s perplexing. I’m not talking game experience type stuff, just the overall feet work fundamentals. Strange. You’d think the feet work type stuff would be automatic with life long tutelage. 

Any answers?? 

Not that strange, Haskins has arm talent. His footwork is just something he has to work on. 

You could say Phillip RIvers or Patrick Mahomes have terrible fundamentals too. 

Archived