Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Is he, though? IF this team changes just the head coach, I'd agree that he'll get saddled with Haskins whether he wants him or not. But if they change the GM (its still possible Snyder saddles them both with Haskins) this may or may not be the case. A coach may come in and love what Haskins offers and want him. Or they may want to shop for their own groceries for their soup. There is no reason to honestly believe that Haskins IS the future at this point, and that doesn't even take into account any of Haskins strides or struggles so far. 

It's a good point.  There is a double issue with saddling Jay with a win or else season and a project QB -- the other part of the problem is what if it doesn't work out and they change coaches.   Some of the new coaches we inherited ultimately moved away from the young QBs they inherited.  Gibbs with Ramsey.  Shanny with Campbell.  Jay with RG3. 

Yeah coaches say all the right things to get the job but they often "prefer" to get their guy in the end.  Jay ironically was slammed like crazy for moving on from RG3.  But he wasn't the first coach here to hit that pattern.

It's another symptom IMO of the disease called Dan Snyder who doesn't understand how to build a winning franchise 

Lamont Jordan is on 980 and said Haskins when running the read option in OSU, the fake was elite. I didn't think he ran the ball at all, but figured I would share. I thought he was going to elaborate on it but didn't. 

He was also hating on our run game, saying with no blocking TE it's dumb to call outside scheme.  Call inside zone/downhill/counter/power and then an occasional outside zone.  Galdi saying many others hate our run scheme. 

A run game is maybe the best thing for Haskins right now.

17 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Lamont Jordan is on 980 and said Haskins when running the read option in OSU, the fake was elite. I didn't think he ran the ball at all, but figured I would share. I thought he was going to elaborate on it but didn't. 

He was also hating on our run game, saying with no blocking TE it's dumb to call outside scheme.  Call inside zone/downhill/counter/power and then an occasional outside zone.  Galdi saying many others hate our run scheme. 

A run game is maybe the best thing for Haskins right now.

I haven't paid attention this year but typically Callahan (Callahan is in charge of the run game) does a heavy dose of duo.  So that's power not zone.  Doubling up on the interior D lineman and having the RB read the MLB and make a cut.  It requires the TE to seal the edge and typically deal with the DE.

I just watched some of the run plays from the Eagles game, I noticed a bit of everything, outside zone, power, counter.  

Jay openly bemoaned in the off season the lack of a do it all type TE.  They did nothing to upgrade that position.  And their best run blocker TE according to PFF at least isn't that much of a blocker (Sprinkle)

Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 11.02.20 AM.png

The biggest issue I see in the above photo is Quinn. That play is shot right where it is. Granted, I have no idea where he started, but he's not even in the way :ols:

Really might not be his fault. Context matters. 

Also notice the forward lean of the LT as it looks like the DE is running by him. 

And a total lack of any re-establishing of the LoS by the Skins there. The Eagles DL is holding their ground. The DT on the left even looks like he's about to split the double team when 75 slides to second level and sit right in the hole.

The TE is one of the few people on their block in the above SS.

EDIT: Damnit @Skinsinparadise, why do you have to depress me on a Friday!? This is why I haven't gone back and watched!

18 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

How can Joe Banner claim everyone was wrong based on 1 half of football.  Haskins could be a failure but damn just give him a few games before you call him and the pick a bust.

Report: Jay Gruden didn’t want Haskins, and Haskins can sense that

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/04/report-jay-gruden-didnt-want-haskins-and-haskins-can-sense-that/

I hate this article because it's just stirring the pot, typical media sucking everything they can from a very bad situation.

1 minute ago, bakedtater1 said:

So if true we gotta suffer through the awkwardness the rest of the season?..I wouldnt feel bad if the skins fired gruden after the Patriots beat the skins 54-0

Report: Entire Offensive Line thinks Dwayne Haskins choice in candy is ludicrous

ES: We need to get rid of the entire O-Line. 

I'm kidding Tater bro. :ols:

Gruden's boss repeatedly said that this team was "close" and ready to "win now"...and then they draft a QB who clearly isn't anywhere close to being ready to help the team win now, so Gruden goes and plays the QB who isn't good, but ready and has proven that you can win with...and fans are buying this narrative that Gruden hates Haskins?  Is this not a clear deflection from Allen to scapegoat Gruden I don't know what is.

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

Gruden's boss repeatedly said that this team was "close" and ready to "win now"...and then they draft a QB who clearly isn't anywhere close to being ready to help the team win now, so Gruden goes and plays the QB who isn't good, but ready and has proven that you can win with...and fans are buying this narrative that Gruden hates Haskins?  Is this not a clear deflection from Allen to scapegoat Gruden I don't know what is.

Or it could be Gruden trying to get fired. 

28 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

How can Joe Banner claim everyone was wrong based on 1 half of football.  Haskins could be a failure but damn just give him a few games before you call him and the pick a bust.

Report: Jay Gruden didn’t want Haskins, and Haskins can sense that

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/04/report-jay-gruden-didnt-want-haskins-and-haskins-can-sense-that/

I hate this article because it's just stirring the pot, typical media sucking everything they can from a very bad situation.

I hate this article because I suspect its accurate....

24 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Report: Entire Offensive Line thinks Dwayne Haskins choice in candy is ludicrous

ES: We need to get rid of the entire O-Line. 

I'm kidding Tater bro. :ols:

I'm confused .not offended your laughing/making fun...just confused and wanna laugh too lol... ahhh

Lol ok...soo joking around your saying that the offensive line doesn't like haskins choice of candy so we should fire the whole o line?..haha..I get ya..but isn't it awkward if gruden realy didnt want haskins and haskins knows this and to keep gruden around?..for the rest of the year

22 minutes ago, Skintime said:

Or it could be Gruden trying to get fired. 

Its easy to believe gruden didn't want Haskins. He was on the hot seat entering this season, he needed to win now to save his job, so he would prefer someone who can help immediately over a QB who is going to take time to groom.  

So whether gruden thought Haskins was a good prospect or not is irrelevant, he wanted immediate returns.   Of course the media is going to make it seem it is a knock on Haskins personally to create drama and generate clicks on their articles.  It's not a big deal, 99.9% of people act out of self interest and self preservation.

On the other hand, the nugget that gruden preferred Jones over Haskins, meaning he was ok with a rookie QB, could very well be Snyder/Allen creating a scapegoat.  Would anyone put it past them to stoop to that level?

41 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Hoffman just talked about this, taking his most recent segment and others.  Hoffman is becoming my fav reporter.  He's conservative like Keim and doesn't like to throw stuff against the wall that he can't verify with multiple sources.  Listening to him.

A.  Jay didn't want Haskins at 15.  True.

B.  Jay and Kyle didn't think he's worthy of the 15th pick.  True.  But not because they saw him as a bust.  

C.  Jay doesn't like Haskins.  False.  Jay likes Haskins both as a player and likes him a lot as a dude.  He thinks he has a chance but he's not ready yet.

Paulsen brought up to Hoffman that it must be tough for Haskins to hear all of this and they felt bad for him.  But as Hoffman and others like to say, Jay likes Haskins.  This isn't like Shanny and McNabb and name that mismatched pair.  The one thing that's mismatched about Jay and Haskins seems to be the win now season context.  Jay supposedly likes Haskins (as do the other coaches) a lot as a dude.  

22 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

I'm confused .not offended your laughing/making fun...just confused and wanna laugh too lol... ahhh

Lol ok...soo joking around your saying that the offensive line doesn't like haskins choice of candy so we should fire the whole o line?..haha..I get ya..but isn't it awkward if gruden realy didnt want haskins and haskins knows this and to keep gruden around?..for the rest of the year

Yes sir. 

Kind of a thing where I'm not sure why Gruden not wanting Haskins to get drafted means Gruden has to go. It's almost like we're already looking at Haskins as infallible already (and others look at him as totally unredeemable). 

Seems like it should more be "We need to get rid of Allen now" in my opinion. Gruden not wanting a guy and getting saddled with him is a primary brain fart the organization has on a routine basis. Granted, I don't think you draft for a lame duck head coach, but I also don't really believe in keeping a coach that IS a lame duck coach just for giggles.

I was moreso joking with you bro. I know your posts and you didn't mean anything by it! 

Just funny to me how there are so many different spins. Facebook is spinning it in 8 directions, I'm sure there's a few here. Twitter seems to be branched.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hoffman just talked about this, taking his most recent segment and others.  Hoffman is becoming my fav reporter.  He's conservative like Keim and doesn't like to throw stuff against the wall that he can't verify with multiple sources.  Listening to him.

A.  Jay didn't want Haskins at 15.  True.

B.  Jay and Kyle didn't think he's worthy of the 15th pick.  True.  But not because they saw him as a bust.  

C.  Jay doesn't like Haskins.  False.  Jay likes Haskins both as a player and likes him a lot as a dude.  He thinks he has a chance but he's not ready yet.

Paulsen brought up to Hoffman that it must be tough for Haskins to hear all of this and they felt bad for him.  But as Hoffman and others like to say, Jay likes Haskins.  This isn't like Shanny and McNabb and name that mismatched pair.  The one thing that's mismatched about Jay and Haskins seems to be the win now season context.  Jay supposedly likes Haskins (as do the other coaches) a lot as a dude.  

This x1000...

I am going to go completely against the grain on this. 

I am not exactly on the same page as Gruden for a lot of what he's done. But in this situation I find it hard to fault him too much. Not giving Haskins reps? Don't like it, but it's a league norm in a lot of cases (though every situation should be treated separately). But not giving him reps because you know you're going to get canned and need to do something quick? Makes a ton of sense.

You can't, in any shape or form, blame Gruden for this situation.

If Jay was going to be removed, they should have done it. Not draft a PROJECT QUARTERBACK!!!!! and try to get the guy that won't be here next year to sink time and resources into him.

This is 100% on the top end of the front office. No way around it. Not Jay. At all. 

Front office issue. 

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Yes sir. 

Kind of a thing where I'm not sure why Gruden not wanting Haskins to get drafted means Gruden has to go. It's almost like we're already looking at Haskins as infallible already (and others look at him as totally unredeemable). 

Seems like it should more be "We need to get rid of Allen now" in my opinion. Gruden not wanting a guy and getting saddled with him is a primary brain fart the organization has on a routine basis. Granted, I don't think you draft for a lame duck head coach, but I also don't really believe in keeping a coach that IS a lame duck coach just for giggles.

I was moreso joking with you bro. I know your posts and you didn't mean anything by it! 

Just funny to me how there are so many different spins. Facebook is spinning it in 8 directions, I'm sure there's a few here. Twitter seems to be branched.

Lol exactly why I dont use Facebook and Twitter..this place is enough to make me spin lol..I totally agree with you about just because gruden didnt want haskins he shouldn't be fired but something has to give...allen needs to be **** canned for sure..I'm not saying haskins is a future franchise player or isn't but ya can't force a pic like that on a coach..

23 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If it went down as just about every reporter national and local have described then the crazy part of it is that the story falls on Jay has to go.  Now, I agree with you its totally unjustified.  But the narrative of the week seems to center on Jay didn't want Haskins.  And using that backdrop, now people are questioning whether his motives are pure on Haskins.  Is he setting him up to fail?  Is he not developing him properly?  Is this a healthy environment for Haskins.  How does Haskins feel about not being wanted?  On and on.  So the premise is set up as:  A.  Haskins needs to be developed.  B.  Jay for whatever reason doesn't want to do it the right way.  C.  You got to remove the problem which is Jay.  Now that's not how I see it.  But that's the running narrative at least in some spots.   When you digest the context on Haskins-Jay its not bad at all -- yet, it shows what happens when you have a narrative about the owner pushing something on a coach.   And why the owner has to stay out.  

That's the crap you put on your own plate when the owner interjects on a major personnel decision especially when its at odds with the HC even if there is a benign twist to it which I think this story has.    The drama is here.  And we've had plenty of drama at QB with similar narratives -- each had its own twist.    I don't think it's because the national media just likes hammering the Redskins as some purport for no reason but we bring it on ourselves and we keep repeating the same mistakes.  Heck I recall the stories about how Ramsey was Dan's pick.  When Spurrier arrived he wanted his UF Qbs.   Ultimately, Dan-Vinny insisted Spurrier play Ramsey when his UF Qbs struggled.  Spurrier talked about it some after he left. 

It also sets up a scenario for the next coach to have to say they are sold on Haskins.  Ironically, Jay pumped up RG3 (and I don't blame him, I'd do it too in his case) to help get the job.  If you guys recall Zorn was coming to fix Jason Campbell, etc.  None of this means on my end that Haskins isn't the goods.  I don't know.  I like the dude's personality and have some hope as to his talent.    But this situation now that the drama is building feels awkward for Jay and Haskins.     And digesting the full story it shouldn't be awkward but again that's what happens when the owner interjects on a key decision -- in those cases it brings inherent drama.

Archived