Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS RELIEVE JAY GRUDEN OF DUTIES

TK

As everyone knows, there's a lot of talk about O'Connell being the next young, exciting, head coaching prospect to come from the Redskins staff, as was McVay and LeFleur. The difference between those guys and O'Connell is that Mcvay and Lefleur have worked under the Shanahans. Mcvay did work in his first years for Jon Gruden in TB and for Jay with The Florida Tuskers, but in his first 3 years with the Skins, he was groomed as an assistant under the Shanahans. He had a 3 year foundation under him with the Shanahans by the time Gruden came along. Who's to say that Mcvay's offensive philosophies aren't more Shanahan than Gruden.

And it's not like our O continued at a high level once Mcvay left. In fact, Gruden has looked lost on the sideline since Mcvay left. Injuries and losing Cousins have likely played a factor in our O dropping off since Mcvay went to LA, but the O has never been close to the same nonetheless. Lefleur was never on the Redskins staff under Gruden. He was there from 2010- 2013, once again groomed by the Shanahans. Before that he was with the Texans when Kyle was the OC there. And I'm not going to get into how Kyle Shanahan looks like he's well on his way to being a top notch NFL HC in SF.

My point is is that, a lot of people are assuming O'Connell is the next wonder coach because of the Redskins connection and he may very well turn out to be. But we might want to look at a young coordinator that worked under the Shanahans before we hand the keys to a young guy that has only worked in the NFL under Mike Pettine (Cleveland 2015), Chip Kelly ( SF 2016) & Jay Gruden. 

1 hour ago, dc1 said:

Like all major acquisitions, we are talking billions of exchange outside of construction.  It's not traffic news.

It's going down folks.  There were multiple sources reporting on it 3 days ago because the DC Mayor's lips were a little slippery.

There has been ongoing significant engagement for years.

That's very true. 

Change has to start somewhere.  Right now is as good of a start for now.

So we very well could see the skins play at rfk while a new stadium is being built?...or remain in land over Maryland till the new stadium is built where rfk once stood?

1 hour ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

“Sorry no questions but did you see those videos of Gruden with weed and alcohol?  Unacceptable.”

It wasnt weed..why,  cause the way he was holding it?..it was a cigarette 

3 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

So we very well could see the skins play at rfk while a new stadium is being built?...or remain in land over Maryland till the new stadium is built where rfk once stood?

Remain in Landover while the statium is built in the RFK location.

I heard on the radio that the Skins are trying to find a way to not pay Gruden the remainder of his contract.  I'm sure that has something to do with the leaked videos.

11 minutes ago, theTruthTeller said:

Per the comments above, I assume that Bruce plans to announce the new stadium deal at the press conference to deflect criticism.  It makes sense.  Also, it would explain why Jay was fired after being destroyed by the Patriots instead of after being destroyed by the hapless Giants.

Probably didn't want a new interim coach to go up against the Patriots.  Can't set up a guy for failure much more than that.

1 minute ago, dc1 said:

Remain in Landover while the statium is built in the RFK location.

That's what I remember reading..when do you think construction takes place?..heeeyyyyy!!!..I can see it now..at the breaking ground ceremony...dan n bruce out there in there finest suites looking like dweebs in hard hats holding some shovels as riggo walks up with his and lays bruce Allen out with his shovel up side his head lol

Irony: if Jay had hired a better DC, he might still have a job.

The biggest issue this year has been the under-performance of the defense, with multiple breakdowns and what not.  I think even Jay believes there was more talent on the defense than the production would indicate.

Manusky really got Jay fired.  All the offensive stuff and McCoy vs. Case vs. Haskins is secondary to the collapse of the defense.  

This will mean nothing if they don’t take the rest of this year to try and see what KO has as a play caller and the chemistry he and Haskins have.

Otherwise this move is completely pointless.  

Just now, bakedtater1 said:

That's what I remember reading..when do you think construction takes place?..heeeyyyyy!!!..I can see it now..at the breaking ground ceremony...dan n bruce out there in there finest suites looking like dweebs in hard hats holding some shovels as riggo walks up with his and lays bruce Allen out with his shovel up side his head lol

Lol!

Once the new lease agreements are finalized it will will start to hear some louder voice. 

The more secure the footing is, the safer folks will feel about speaking out. 

In short, I have no idea outside of the next year.

19 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

It wasnt weed..why,  cause the way he was holding it?..it was a cigarette 

Bro it’s a smear campaign.  They would say he had coke if they could find a way to make it stick. 

If they try to not pay the remainder of Jay's contract, it will be the first thing (besides retaining Allen at the end of the year) that actually makes me agree with the people who say there's no incentive for a new hot coaching prospect coach to come here. 

I still maintain that if we replace Bruce with a qualified GM (I know, I know) we will be able to hire anyone we want, either because of the high draft picks or because Haskins flashed or both. 

But if Snyder pulls this bull**** to try and fire Gruden for cause, and tries not paying him the rest of his contract...that could change everything. That will say more to prospective coaches than the big pay day being dangled could outweigh. 

11 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Irony: if Jay had hired a better DC, he might still have a job.

The biggest issue this year has been the under-performance of the defense, with multiple breakdowns and what not.  I think even Jay believes there was more talent on the defense than the production would indicate.

Manusky really got Jay fired.  All the offensive stuff and McCoy vs. Case vs. Haskins is secondary to the collapse of the defense.  

This will mean nothing if they don’t take the rest of this year to try and see what KO has as a play caller and the chemistry he and Haskins have.

Otherwise this move is completely pointless.  

This is true to a point. But, Jay selected one horrific DC after another during his tenure here. 

Bottom line: Jay got Jay fired. He’s not head coach material. Never was. I remember when we announced his hiring six years ago. And I remember thinking we would go nowhere with him at the helm. He doesn’t seem capable of managing a team and coordinating all that is required at the HC level. He had to go. No question. Soft practices, soft players, constant mental mistakes, horror show 3rd quarters for six freakin years!  Jay’s a nice guy, etc. But just a god-awful head coach. 

3 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

If they try to not pay the remainder of Jay's contract, it will be the first thing (besides retaining Allen at the end of the year) that actually makes me agree with the people who say there's no incentive for a new hot coaching prospect coach to come here. 

I still maintain that if we replace Bruce with a qualified GM (I know, I know) we will be able to hire anyone we want, either because of the high draft picks or because Haskins flashed or both. 

But if Snyder pulls this bull**** to try and fire Gruden for cause, and tries not paying him the rest of his contract...that could change everything. That will say more to prospective coaches than the big pay day being dangled could outweigh. 

Yeah, I’m totally with you.  

Firing Jay for cause based on a video from years ago would be unprecedentedly low. And for this group, that’s saying something.

I don’t think it’s going to happen.  I think they’ll hold their noses and pay Jay.  Which is the right thing to do.

16 minutes ago, dc1 said:

Lol!

Once the new lease agreements are finalized it will will start to hear some louder voice. 

The more secure the footing is, the safer folks will feel about speaking out. 

In short, I have no idea outside of the next year.

Are you Dan snyder?

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Firing Jay for cause based on a video from years ago would be unprecedentedly low. And for this group, that’s saying something.

I don’t think it’s going to happen.  I think they’ll hold their noses and pay Jay.  Which is the right thing to do.

Kinda hope it does happen...that may prompt Jay to start airing everything out...pull the curtain back for the world to see 🤣

Maybe get ugly enough that the NFL steps in...hopes and dreams...

Yesterday was the first time ever that I did not watch the game.  I knew it was coming that Gruden would be let go but he was not the most serious problem they have.

He will do fine and land on his feet.  The players are stuck in a mess too.   Many players will want to move on to other teams.

20 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Even worse because the rumors that the FO leaked the video themselves to enable stealing his money would never wash off, true or not. 

I agree with the last part.

18 minutes ago, skins4eva said:

This is true to a point. But, Jay selected one horrific DC after another during his tenure here. 

Bottom line: Jay got Jay fired. He’s not head coach material. Never was. I remember when we announced his hiring six years ago. And I remember thinking we would go nowhere with him at the helm. He doesn’t seem capable of managing a team and coordinating all that is required at the HC level. He had to go. No question. Soft practices, soft players, constant mental mistakes, horror show 3rd quarters for six freakin years!  Jay’s a nice guy, etc. But just a god-awful head coach. 

Yeah, it goes back to 2015 when he hired Barry.  I can give a pass for his first year retaining Haz.  But after that, you’ve got to know what you need and find better than the guy with literally the worst DC resume in the history of the NFL.  

The issue after 2016 is that Jay was already going into year 4, the team had just completely choked away a playoff spot, and his future at that point was somewhat in question.  So good DCs went to other teams for job security.  Jay was waiting around for one or two, I don’t remember who. 

I have said before that hiring Barry, if it didn’t work, by itself was a fireable offense. 

It took a while, but I think you can draw a line from that decision to Jay’s ultimate demise.

2 hours ago, dballer said:

It would be nice if just ONE media person were to bring up the Redskins record under Jay, then the record under Bruce, and ask him if he feels his position is safe. That is the only thing I want out of this conferece. 

Most of the D.C talking heads do just that - talk smack on podcasts, blogs and tv but clam up when the moment comes. 

2 hours ago, dc1 said:

It's been in the works over the last few years.  It's happening.   

Here's a touch of what was shared out loud:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/dc-mayor-wants-redskins-playing-back-district-eyes-rfk-site%3famp

I've read that article and the more substantive Washington Post piece preceding it: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/district-to-raze-rfk-stadium-by-2021--but-not-necessarily-so-redskins-can-build-a-new-one/2019/09/05/48b18fc6-cfea-11e9-87fa-8501a456c003_story.html?arc404=true

That article suggests they're not even close. As much as Bowser wants the Redskins back, she also wants the RFK land to be used for more than just a losing football team. Her political opponents would have a field day if that space is used exclusively for that and she knows it.

Firing Jay made sense and there were ample justifications for doing so. Having said that, Gruden did nothing to warrant getting his contract voided. 

It it would be wrong and ugly to do so. More, it would hurt the skins more than the savings would help. 

6 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

The team has "not performed up to expectations"? Yes it has. 

That's how out of touch our leadership is. They expected this would be a good team. 

This team has a lot of talent.  There is no reason they shouldnt be doing much better.  The NFC East is wide open. 

Archived