Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Erosion Of The Redskins Fanbase

samy316

11 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I think the correct phrase is you *couldn’t* care less. Saying you COULD care less seems to suggest that you DO care, at least a little bit 😂😂😂 

not COMPLETELY a shot at you. I see people use that phrase wrong a lot, it just boggles my mind how nobody understands why it’s wrong :P 

I could care less because I could care more, but I don’t! Ha

8 hours ago, alwaysaskin said:

I feel like the Redskins are a partner that gained 350 pounds, blew through my credit cards and only wants to watch the Gilmore Girls on Date Night. I watch but at this point it’s a hate-watch. I hate 3’6” Caligula, Drunk Bruce, and the fat stupid Gruden. The last excitement I felt was 2012. 

Honestly, I’ve kind of been cheating with the Rams since they moved back to LA. I almost wish I could make a full break up with the team, but I seem to trudge through out of a sense of duty. I no longer feel the need to defend the team and many of the homers annoy me more than the haters. There’s no change coming. This team is the living embodiment of time is a flat circle

as a historian i think caligula is grossly misconstrued/misunderstood and manipulated by his contemporaries and predecessors...our skins however jus suck

It is saddening and maddening at the same time.

There's no possible WAY that Dan Snyder doesn't know that the vast majority of Redskins fans absolutely despise Bruce Allen and what he's brought this team; misery.

He was brought here as a nostalgic piece, but with his track record, especially in Tampa, there should have been flashing red light warning signs about bringing him into this organization, but I guess Dan took those flashing red lights and put them on his little toy Redskins fire wagon as he rides around in a 4 yr old's toy.

Because, that's exactly what Snyder is; a 4 yr old kid who is in need of a good talking to, and maybe a **** slap here and there to get him back into reality.

Problem is, Bruce is his buffer, so no one could get in enough words to sway Snyder in any way before Bruce would interrupt or laughingly nod and give a little 'wink wink' to Snyder, as if it were an upset person who has no idea.

And yes, to a large degree, most of us fans really don't have an idea of the day-to-day business inside the front office, but the glaring part is, Bruce isn't any good at it either.

15 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I think the Skins were a unique situation for 40 years. DC was a pro football town in a non-football region. This isn't Rust Belt/Big 10 country or Texas. The Redskins were good to great for a long time in a major city with no baseball team, a mediocre pro basketball team - save a few years in the 70s - and a hockey team, which really doesn't count. DC Metro is still not a football area. Maryland and Virginia don't exactly garner huge ratings either.

20 years of Snyder plus a whole bunch of sports options have turned DC into LA - except LA actually likes football.

He called us mediocre!  I've got your seat saved on the bandwagon if you're ready.

I'm convinced that when Gibbs came back, it was to save the organization from itself. He wanted to show them how a well-managed sports operation should be run. When he left, unfortunately, Snyder reverted back to his old ways. Gibbs obviously isn't coming back, but I do wish something volcanic would happen to shake this organization loose from the grips of the current team president, and somehow put the owner on a different trajectory.

LONG time ES member here. I faded off the boards back in the late 2000's. I only post a few times per year nowadays...

I remember having some spirited debate with skins fans (SoCal, TK, Bubba, SlinginSammy, etc) about Jason Campbell and the team back then under Gibbs, and Zorn (ugh what a shytshow that was... anyone remember the swinging gate?)... and some memorable Eagle fans (shout-out to Westbrook36... if I can recall his handle correctly.) Apathy is definitely palpable. I live out of the market, but the few skins games I have attended have felt like away games (Steelers and Cowboy fans travel well.)

Now I just stream on my digital scrip on Sunday ticket. I find myself following my fantasy teams more than the Skins these days. I can't tell you the last time I bought merch. Until they put a better product on the field, this apathy will continue. Concerning this year, we need Williams back at work, and Keenum should be benched. Not sure how he missed so many open receivers on Sunday... MIND BOGGLING.

20 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I still watch all the games and will continue to do so.  But, the last few years, I have found myself watching them while playing video games or watching a movie.  I have a decent set-up in my man cave, three TVs (two 32" ones mounted on the wall close to the ceiling).  I'll have three games going (Skins on the bigger screen with sound) and I also have my gaming computer/PS4/XB1 up there too.

So I can game while I watch the games.  Or if the game is getting really ****ty and frustrating to watch, I'll put a movie or TV show on in it's place and move it to one of the smaller mounted TVs so I can still keep up with it in the background (did this yesterday).  It's definitely made my Sundays more enjoyable than in the past.  As frustrating as this team is to watch, it's still my favorite team and my favorite sport, so I'm going to continue to watch them.

But I totally understand anyone being fed up enough with everything and spending their time doing other things that they enjoy or makes them happy or happier.  

As far as the team relocating, I'd say the odds of that happening are

Image result for zero point zero animated gif

And if there was any chance at all of that happening, St. Louis would not be the destination.  Modern day, they have lost two NFL franchises (Cardinals and Rams).  Moving any current franchise there does not benefit the NFL.  And the owner is not going to move the team.  

Steve Czaban, is that you?

15 hours ago, HouseBowlrz said:

Nick ... this is my second year sans season tickets.  It was borne out of necessity (notification of contract ending and RIF notice two weeks before 2018 invoice due); given the chance to renew the same seats a month after aligning with a new contract (three months past the original deadline), I took a pass and did not watch a single game last season (and continuing into this season) for reasons inappropriate to discuss in this thread.

I do miss the folks at the ES tailgate in RedZone but remain satisfied with the decisions I've made ...

Hi, Bob!!! I'm sorry that it came to that for you and that it happened that way, but I look at it like It was meant to happen to shove you in a different direction... professionally and otherwise... 😀

I heard a caller on local radio here yesterday say he had field passes for the game and spent a long time talking with Tony "No Means No" Wylie. He said he really vented to Wylie about how disillusioned he is and even told him how badly he wanted Bruce gone. He actually said he asked Tony to "give me some hope here, is there any chance of Bruce leaving?" According to the caller, Tony folded his arms and said, "No. He's Dan's guy." 

I can't even express how hopeless that call left me feeling when it comes to the future of this team. In the big picture, there's just nothing whatsoever to look forward to as it stands right now. Free fallin' through the bottomless abyss. 

8 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

I heard a caller on local radio here yesterday say he had field passes for the game and spent a long time talking with Tony "No Means No" Wylie. He said he really vented to Wylie about how disillusioned he is and even told him how badly he wanted Bruce gone. He actually said he asked Tony to "give me some hope here, is there any chance of Bruce leaving?" According to the caller, Tony folded his arms and said, "No. He's Dan's guy." 

I can't even express how hopeless that call left me feeling when it comes to the future of this team. In the big picture, there's just nothing whatsoever to look forward to as it stands right now. Free fallin' through the bottomless abyss. 

Even if they get rid of Bruce Allen, the question becomes, "Who replaces him?"

I doubt Nick Caserio would be walking through that door. Even if he did, I doubt Snyder would take a Bob-Kraft-(mostly) hands-off Kraft approach.

I love this team.  LOVE them.  From my childhood days of getting autographs outside the gate at Dickinson College's football field, to working at training camp for a summer in the mid 80's and interacting with the players, to watching them bookend my college career with Super Bowl championships, to thinking that maybe, just maybe, RGIII might be the answer (lol at me)...i can't give up on them, it's not in my nature.  I struggle to even grumble about them, because I am an eternal optimist who always thinks the best might happen.

I know Snyder wants to win.  He grew up a fan, for crying out loud.  But he doesn't realize that to win, he truly needs to get out of the way and let people who know what they are doing do their jobs.  Just have your checkbook ready when necessary.   And I know he wants a new stadium, but it isn't easy.  He'd love to have a crown jewel back in the District, that is the envy of everyone...but we aren't there yet.  I wish he would sell, but since that seems unlikely, I hope one day he wakes up and just gets out of the way.

Until then, I will keep watching, keep following, keep hoping.  I love the team, the fans, the uniforms (not many teams look better than we do:  on a sunny day, on a gorgeous field, wearing that burgundy & gold), all of it.  I'm 50 years old now, and I no longer live & die with each win (funny how the birth of your children changes that), but if I can get one more Lombardi Trophy before I die -- just one -- I'll be a happy man.

HAIL

1 minute ago, SkinsFanPA said:

I love this team.  LOVE them.  From my childhood days of getting autographs outside the gate at Dickinson College's football field, to working at training camp for a summer in the mid 80's and interacting with the players, to watching them bookend my college career with Super Bowl championships, to thinking that maybe, just maybe, RGIII might be the answer (lol at me)...i can't give up on them, it's not in my nature.  I struggle to even grumble about them, because I am an eternal optimist who always thinks the best might happen.

I know Snyder wants to win.  He grew up a fan, for crying out loud.  But he doesn't realize that to win, he truly needs to get out of the way and let people who know what they are doing do their jobs.  Just have your checkbook ready when necessary.   And I know he wants a new stadium, but it isn't easy.  He'd love to have a crown jewel back in the District, that is the envy of everyone...but we aren't there yet.  I wish he would sell, but since that seems unlikely, I hope one day he wakes up and just gets out of the way.

Until then, I will keep watching, keep following, keep hoping.  I love the team, the fans, the uniforms (not many teams look better than we do:  on a sunny day, on a gorgeous field, wearing that burgundy & gold), all of it.  I'm 50 years old now, and I no longer live & die with each win (funny how the birth of your children changes that), but if I can get one more Lombardi Trophy before I die -- just one -- I'll be a happy man.

HAIL

I'm with you, but I also crave seeing good football and a team to like. I'll never waver from the Skins, but I'm now on the Mahomes train as must see tv. Watching him just makes me realize how far away from elite the Redskins are. I still wear my Skins garb here in the Philly area but the Skins are so bad that people don't even raz me anymore. That is worse than anything, not being relevant. My fantasy team now takes priority over the Redskins until there is change in Redskin Park. That being said, I love the young skill players we got and just hope they can change the culture of this team. 

Just now, kingdaddy said:

I'm with you, but I also crave seeing good football and a team to like. I'll never waver from the Skins, but I'm now on the Mahomes train as must see tv. Watching him just makes me realize how far away from elite the Redskins are. I still wear my Skins garb here in the Philly area but the Skins are so bad that people don't even raz me anymore. That is worse than anything, not being relevant. My fantasy team now takes priority over the Redskins until there is change in Redskin Park. That being said, I love the young skill players we got and just hope they can change the culture of this team. 

I agree, not being relevant is the worst.  I live in central PA, amongst too many Eagles fans, and it's brutal.

16 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

Meh, look at the Patriots... no one was proud to call themselves a Pats fan until 2001.  It didn't take decades, it took a year.

It's not comparable. By 2001, the Patriots had already climbed out of the embarrassment that they were in the late-1980s and early-1990s. They had won their division twice, made the playoffs a couple other times, and even played in a Super Bowl between 1994 and 2000 with both Parcells and Carroll. They were well on their way back into contention before the 2001 season. 

So, that wasn't a one-year turnaround with the fan base...that was 6-7 years of pretty consistently good football. 

23 hours ago, skinzplay said:

It's a real shame that this franchise has sunken to such lows. For some strange reason, we're in year 6 of the Gruden experiment, and experiment that proved early on that it wasn't going to work. Not sure what logic or reasoning has led the powers-that-be to keep him on as HC. It's frustrating to watch him on the sidelines during games. Sure he can design plays, but that's as far as it goes; it's his ceiling. He would NEVER be hired as a HC in this league by any other team; not going to happen. His ineptitude, over 6 years, just continues to suck the life right out of this fanbase. We all have a strong disdain for the team president, and for obvious reasons.........but this franchise deserves a competent HC. When he's out-coached by Flores, who's actually trying to lose, then that'll tell you all you need to know; not that you didn't know it already.

I suspect in a 💩💩 organization like ours, Gruden hasn’t hit his ceiling yet. I’m not saying his ceiling is SB level, I just think he could field decent competitive teams. Also, you may have forgotten that Lord Farquaad has a reputation of going through coaches like tissue, so he’s kind of had no choice but to stick with him.

23 hours ago, ntotoro said:

This has gone beyond my desire to watch this team and is affecting my desire to watch any kind of football, period.

I let Sunday Ticket go this year. Between the Kaep stuff and the same gobbidge on-field product wearing the B & G, I’m just not as interested. I’m mostly just checking scores/stats for fantasy.

I moved away, but  still find a way to watch My Redskins games. I am sure I am not alone. I can't get to many games at FedEx Field. I have been to more Redskins Games in NY/NJ. I have been to four home games since the stadium opened. 

9 hours ago, Stefanskins said:

as a historian i think caligula is grossly misconstrued/misunderstood and manipulated by his contemporaries and predecessors...our skins however jus suck

I would have gone the Ptolemy VIII Physcon route but i’m waiting on the inevitable Charlie Weis hire for that 

On 9/16/2019 at 12:31 PM, Busch1724 said:

Apathy takes decades to overcome. 

This is the worst possible outcome. Anger at losing still shows passion and in interest, same goes for frustration with the way they operate. As a collective fanbase, we've gone past that. We just stopped caring because we know, not just think--we KNOW--nothing is going to change. That is very difficult to overcome. Some teams never do.

Sure there are pockets of homers who will say Snyder wants to win, this, that, and the other. They're the last holdouts.

It's like hoping that crazy ex would straighten out their whoring ways (note: men and women can be whores), but they don't and you just move on. We've moved on.

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He called us mediocre!  I've got your seat saved on the bandwagon if you're ready.

DC is weird. It's a basketball city more than anything. But the pro team has largely stunk while the football team was really good for a long time.

Also, I haven't checked in on the Wizards thread in a few months. How's Japanese Dirk looking?

2 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

DC is weird. It's a basketball city more than anything. But the pro team has largely stunk while the football team was really good for a long time.

Also, I haven't checked in on the Wizards thread in a few months. How's Japanese Dirk looking?

DC is a college sports town.  It's white collar.  Japanese Dirk generally stood out among the tall salarymen that make up their FIBA roster.  I don't think he's going to be leading much of a wave for basketball in Japan.  I think the only team that finished below them in the tournament was the Andray Blatche-led Phillipines.

Archived