Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Erosion Of The Redskins Fanbase

samy316

I like watching Sean McVay and his Rams play more than my Redskins.  At least the Rams seem prepared and can win any game they play and he used to be offensive coordinator here. That's what the Redskins have beat me down enough to do.  Freaking Kyle and his 49rs look better than us.  I can't figure the Redskins out.

28 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I dont want to be 70-80 years old watching this by myself because no one i care about can take it anymore, talkin about this will be our year and the team still plays like they dont care.  I feel like thats gonna happen anyway, does that really make me a superfan?  Is that loyalty?

I've already decided that, God willing, I'll be the 105-year old being interviewed before Super Bowl 114 who has stuck with his Redskins since before the turn of the century, when they last won a title in 1991!! I'll be oblivious to what's going on and my great grandson will be answering questions while I weakly pump my fists and drool on national TV. 

4 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

This team is moving to St. Louis if they can't get the stadium situation straight in the next 2 years. And I don't care :)

I can totally see this happening now.  I wouldnt want it because theres no promise wed get another team before football starts to decline.  It was a flag factory yesterday, that by itself is turning people off

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I can totally see this happening now.  I wouldnt want it because theres no promise wed get another team before football starts to decline.  It was a flag factory yesterday, that by itself is turning people off

I think I'd still want to see it happen...even if it's not a guarantee that we'd get a team back. As long as getting a team to slide into DC and be the Redskins is in the discussion, I'd roll the dice. A break is better than having a horrible organization. 

I am on the way home from an out of state  family reunion I put together knowing full well the date would make me miss the Redskins/Boys game.  This would have been inconceivable as recently as a year ago.  But after missing 2 games in 45 years I'm done.  I too will watch the game later but only so I can make informed posts 

39 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm not in this camp. I don't have any reason to like the guy, but I also don't have anything against him. There are plenty of stories out there about why I should hate him, but I'd much prefer he just become a good owner since that's the most direct route between where we are and where the fans would like to be. Enjoying his failure almost feels like laughing at the dude who banged your wife when she inevitably cheats on him. 

Lets be honest, I would probably laugh at the dude who banged my wife after she cheats on him also.  I’m a petty mfer.

Even though I’m 17 years younger than him, he will probably outlive me.  Because money.  And now I’m just sad.  He’s 54, meaning that he bought the Redskins when he was 35.  Thirty ****ing five!  What kind of group of idiots let a child buy an NFL franchise?

Now wonder we suck, it’s been owned by an amateur for the past 20 years.  This guy doesn’t have the experience to own an NFL team.

I still watch. Still loyal. Yeah, they suck, and i dont expect them to be better anytime soon. Heck, i doubt I see a super bowl before i die 😂😂😂 but i still watch. When i was younger, i let losses get to me and affect me ALL week, when I was in high school. Didn’t help that all my pals and teachers knew my dad worked for the skins and they knew i was a diehard fan. Monday’s id get the “hey man what happened to the skins??” **** 😂 and then Thursday’s/Friday’s id get the “so, will we win this weekend” stuff. 

I’ve matured a lot since then, and I’ve learned to realize it’s just a game. Why let it affect me. If we win? **** yeah I’m happy. Who isn’t? If we lose? Oh well 🤷🏻‍♂️ They’ll try again next week (and likely lose anyway😂😂😂). 

Long story short, yes we suck. I know that 100%. Not going to say we don’t. We DO. But I’m an adult and that won’t keep me from watching games. 

But with that being said? I dont blame anyone else for not wanting to watch a **** team. It affects everyone differently, that’s what being a fan is. I’m grown enough to realize that, and won’t try to change people’s minds :) 

26 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

It's a real shame that this franchise has sunken to such lows. For some strange reason, we're in year 6 of the Gruden experiment, and experiment that proved early on that it wasn't going to work. Not sure what logic or reasoning has led the powers-that-be to keep him on as HC. It's frustrating to watch him on the sidelines during games. Sure he can design plays, but that's as far as it goes; it's his ceiling. He would NEVER be hired as a HC in this league by any other team; not going to happen. His ineptitude, over 6 years, just continues to suck the life right out of this fanbase. We all have a strong disdain for the team president, and for obvious reasons.........but this franchise deserves a competent HC. When he's out-coached by Flores, who's actually trying to lose, then that'll tell you all you need to know; not that you didn't know it already.

Gruden is only part of the issue. When your GMs have been essentially Vinny Cerrato and Bruce Allen, you are toast.  

2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I still watch. Still loyal. Yeah, they suck, and i dont expect them to be better anytime soon. Heck, i doubt I see a super bowl before i die

Well, you're very young and some speculate that the average life expectancy for your generation will be well over 100. Some even believe that you'll be able to upload your consciousness and effectively become immortal. Of course, that means that Dan Snyder will be able to as well so either way, you're never seeing a Super Bowl.

My parents were watching my kids as I was on Cape Cod with my wife for the weekend celebrating my 10 year wedding anniversary. We went on a whale watch tour while the 1:00 games were playing, and I had both the Redskins and the Patriots game waiting for me on DVR when I got home last night (Incidentally, it's hilarious listening to the Connecticut Giants fans implode due to the local affiliate choosing the Patriots over them. Giants were home vs. Buffalo, making it a CBS game).

I say all that to say this. As I was watching Dallas roll up a 17 point lead, I commented to my Dad how i find it unbelievable that the Redskins really haven't given me any hope for the last 27 years.

Since becoming a parent and discovering the majesty of DVR, I watch very few live sporting events. On the other hand, because I can fast forward between plays and commercials, it is so much more palatable to take in a game where my favorite team might be losing, because I am not devoting so much time to it.

39 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think I'd still want to see it happen...even if it's not a guarantee that we'd get a team back. As long as getting a team to slide into DC and be the Redskins is in the discussion, I'd roll the dice. A break is better than having a horrible organization. 

For comparison sake:

EDIT: St. Louis had a 8 year break, then lost their team again

Houston had an 8 year break

Baltimore had a 12 year break

Los Angeles had a 20 year break

It doesnt look like any city that lost their team didnt eventually get another one though

Just now, Renegade7 said:

For comparison sake:

St. Louis had a 35 year break, then lost their team again

Right, and Cleveland's was a few years as well. At this point, my fondness of the team is all based on nostalgia and memories from when I was 12 anyway, so what does it really matter if they are playing in the current day? I think it would be the worth the risk - at least for me. 

I will always be loyal to the teams I root for, but that doesn't mean my overall interest isn't waning.  Right now watching the Redskins defense is just outright boring. You know exactly what is coming.  Even when they get a stop on 1st & 2nd down....as soon as it is 3rd down, you expect the other team to convert regardless of how many yards they need.

I'll contrast my Redskins fandom with my A's fandom.  My family moved to CA in 1985, I was a kid, ended up becoming an A's fan. They were really good when I was about 9-12 years old, including winning the world series as part of going to 3 straight.  Then they turned into a bad team, a reaaaally bad team.  However, even through their bad years, their 90+ losses years, I never questioned the ownership or front office's competency in terms of building a team. It was more economics that made it hard for them to compete.  Fast forward to my late teens, 20's, 30's and now on the verge of 40, the A's have had about 6-9 seasons mixed in (it will vary who you talk to) that they legit had a chance at winning a championship. They couldn't get it done, for various reasons I won't bog down this post with, but they were there, in the conversation, and relevant.  This, keep in mind, with a payroll way under the league average.  The Oakland A's are a franchise I can constantly walk around with my head up high rooting for, even in their down years.

How can I do that currently with Washington?  Other than blind loyalty, what exactly is there to root for right now? I do it....still....but from an outsider looking in....I am sure many people wonder why.  

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Right, and Cleveland's was a few years as well. At this point, my fondness of the team is all based on nostalgia and memories from when I was 12 anyway, so what does it really matter if they are playing in the current day? I think it would be the worth the risk - at least for me. 

You risk there not being a local fan base to appease with how transient the area is now and proximity to Baltimore and Carolina.  Ravens and Panthers would split up the DMV and put up a fit if DC tried to put a team in between them.  I dont think itd be worth the risk because the area would get used to it

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

You risk there not being a local fan base to appease with how transient the area is now and proximity to Baltimore and Carolina.  Ravens and Panthers would split up the DMV and put up a fit if DC tried to put a team in between them.  I dont think itd be worth the risk because the area would get used to it

That's logical...I'm just saying that FOR ME personally, if there was a 50% chance that the league would put an expansion team here with the Redskins name and history, I'd want them to do it. If I knew it wouldn't happen or it seemed extremely unlikely, I'd side with you for sure. 

13 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

For comparison sake:

St. Louis had a 35 year break, then lost their team again

It doesnt look like any city that lost their team didnt eventually get another one though

No, St. Louis only lacked a team from 1988-94, and now the last couple years.

There's too much money floating around the DC area for the NFL to leave it vacant for long, not to mention the marketing prestige (and lobbying value) of having a team in or near the nation's capltal. The league will never let the L.A. situation repeat itself again.

Edit: and this is why I think the league would be more likely to pressure Snyder to sell than to accommodate his request to leave, if it came to that. He's not in the "cool kids" circle among owners, and I suspect he'd get the same kind of rough treatment that Dean Spanos and Mark Davis got when they tried to pitch their Carson, CA joint stadium idea. 

8 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Honestly I could use 5-10 years off to heal.

I still watch all the games and will continue to do so.  But, the last few years, I have found myself watching them while playing video games or watching a movie.  I have a decent set-up in my man cave, three TVs (two 32" ones mounted on the wall close to the ceiling).  I'll have three games going (Skins on the bigger screen with sound) and I also have my gaming computer/PS4/XB1 up there too.

So I can game while I watch the games.  Or if the game is getting really ****ty and frustrating to watch, I'll put a movie or TV show on in it's place and move it to one of the smaller mounted TVs so I can still keep up with it in the background (did this yesterday).  It's definitely made my Sundays more enjoyable than in the past.  As frustrating as this team is to watch, it's still my favorite team and my favorite sport, so I'm going to continue to watch them.

But I totally understand anyone being fed up enough with everything and spending their time doing other things that they enjoy or makes them happy or happier.  

As far as the team relocating, I'd say the odds of that happening are

Image result for zero point zero animated gif

And if there was any chance at all of that happening, St. Louis would not be the destination.  Modern day, they have lost two NFL franchises (Cardinals and Rams).  Moving any current franchise there does not benefit the NFL.  And the owner is not going to move the team.  

I don't see the Washington area getting a team back if they are relocated. I also don't see Snyder selling. Despite this thread's topic and the team's performance over the past 20 years, he's still making a ton of money. It's hard to imagine him getting an amount approaching FMV for the team either. 

Finally, a location change would probably bring with it a name and moniker change and if a franchise were to be relocated back to Washington, the chance it would be called "Redskins" hover between slim and none.

12 minutes ago, profusion said:

No, St. Louis only lacked a team from 1988-94, and now the last couple years.

I see what you found, my mistake, going to fix it

12 minutes ago, profusion said:

There's too much money floating around the DC area for the NFL to leave it vacant for long, not to mention the marketing prestige (and lobbying value) of having a team in or near the nation's capltal. The league will never let the L.A. situation repeat itself again.

Edit: and this is why I think the league would be more likely to pressure Snyder to sell than to accommodate his request to leave, if it came to that. He's not in the "cool kids" circle among owners, and I suspect he'd get the same kind of rough treatment that Dean Spanos and Mark Davis got when they tried to pitch their Carson, CA joint stadium idea. 

So wait, you think the league would block Synder moving the team and force him to sell instead because of the size of the market as their soul reason? Can they even legally do that?

Archived